Adrian 'InsipidMuckyWater' Feiertag's single-segment fixed world run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Game- ToeJame & Earl
Run time- 0:20:52

Video quality- Good
Sound quality- Good

Evaluation of the run-

Let's see...two aliens, stranded on what is supposed to be Earth, use presents to get the 10 pieces of their spaceship back from the dreadful Earthlings so they can escape.  Sounds like a funky good time, so let's get on with it!

Level 1: Hightoppin' it to the elevator.

Level 2: First ship piece, and more hightop action.

Level 3: Pixel perfect hightop hopping.

Level 4: Highly advantageous leaping over (and into) the lake

Level 5: *Meep-Meep!*

Level 6: Hubba Hubba.  Good use of the hightops and...Icarus Wings?  How would aliens know of the story of Icarus? Second ship piece.

Level 7: What? How dare you spook Santa like that! Come back! I want my presents!

Level 8: High-tailed it past the Nerd Herd, the Dentist, and the Shopper, nice.

Level 9: A buck! Booyah!

Level 10: Rocket science. Third ship piece.

Level 11: Poindexter, nice.

Level 12: More rockets! Fourth ship piece.

Level 13: Lol, afraid of falling onto the land, huh?

Level 14: More like these rocket skates are rocket water skis.

Level 15: *Meep-Meep! Meep-Meep!* Fifth ship piece.

Level 16: I hated deserts...

Level 17: Boogey Man! Sixth ship piece.

Level 18: La-La-L. Nice cutoff there, plus, Promotion to Peanut!

Level 19: Rocket sand skiis!

Level 20: Hidden bridge galore! Seventh ship piece.

Level 21: Ha! Boogey Man got you! Eighth ship piece.

Level 22: Rocket skates + Road = Fast.

Level 23: Get in, get the package, get out. Simple. Ninth ship piece.

Level 24: Double Boogy-Man'd. Cheesy

Level 25: Picked up a final buck to go. Get yourself a nice Earth souvenier.  Final ship piece.

Funkotron: It's like you're a hero or something. All you did was open presents.

Final Decision- Accept.  It's a jammin' run that is awesomely solid.

Quote:
It had been quite a while since I last played through this, so I wanted to get to a complete play-through in my own time before watching\commenting. Anyway, that's all done. This is a very fast and straight-forward run so I've chosen not to comment on individual levels and mistakes. Yes, there were a number of brief flubs which cost from 0.5 - 2 seconds each, but as this is a single-segment run which is otherwise executed very skillfully, what I see is still an extremely well-played, lucky, and skillful run. This is not only the first speed run I've seen of this game, it's executed sufficiently skillfully that I believe anyone else is going to have a very hard time improving on it, mistakes withstanding.

Specifics... I loved the runner's decision to use the fudge sundae to override the level-up animation. I didn't catch that during my first watching of this run, but only after reading the comments. The rocket skates are super difficult to control, and the runner manages a single-segment run which makes heavy, heavy use of them. I'm impressed! This game is very random and finicky to control, but this runner manages an excellent time with virtually no mistakes. 100% approved.

Quote:
The A/V is good, no signs of cheating etc.

When I timed it I obtained a count of 20:51.  This game is a luck-based machine (less so in Fixed World as opposed to Random World, but still somewhat random nonetheless).  I have to hand it to the runner; he knows Fixed World inside and out.  The routes were picture-perfect.  The dedication towards memorizing all 25 maps and the required presents he needs definitely shows.  He used every resource given to him.  None of the presents in his inventory were left unopened and his wallet was emptied as necessary.  Aside from a few hiccups here and there (hula girl on level 6, a few accidental hidden paths, almost getting killed, avoiding tornadoes), the run is almost perfect in execution.  Easy accept!  This site definitely needed a run of this game, and this runner was the perfect Funklord for the job!

Quote:
AV: Good

Cheating: No

Summery: I think that the runner makes good us of the Rocket skates even though they are hard to control. He does seem to use the Icarus Wings quite well too. From what I saw only a few trip ups but only cost him about maybe 2 seconds total. He does use all money and open all presents and the fact that he uses luck manipulation does make for a perfectly planed out route. I do need to point out that at one point he does jump a little too far past the route he needs to go but he quickly recovers and finishes the run in a speedy time of which i timed 20:50.

Verdict: I approve of ToeJam awesomeness.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a gnarly run, dude.

Disclaimer: I know my 80's speak is terrible, but in my defense, I was only 6 when the 80's ended.
Thread title:  
Balls jerky
I was 2 and a half when the 80s ended. Sad

ps: this game rulezzz f- yeah!
(user is banned)
Yes Mario Riding A Pole
i was only 5 months old when the 80's ended beat that Smiley
1-Up!
Quote from 13013:

It appears we were born in the same month so I'd say there's a 50/50 chance I've got you beat.  (7/14)
Edit history:
InsipidMuckyWater: 2010-09-21 12:07:27 pm
InsipidMuckyWater: 2010-09-21 12:07:00 pm
InsipidMuckyWater: 2010-09-21 12:06:36 pm
InsipidMuckyWater: 2010-09-21 12:06:19 pm
Visit my profile to see my runs!
The game was released in 1991 ...

Also, I'd say that the game draws more from the Sugarhill Gang than Ninja Turtles, but we all love you Mike.
Balls jerky
my brother was born Dec 18 1989. 2 weeks of the 80s are all he saw. k now beat it (beat it...) no one wants to be defeated show em im funky etc *eddie van halen guitar solo*

High 5 to the 80s
(user is banned)
Edit history:
13013: 2010-09-22 06:16:02 pm
Yes Mario Riding A Pole
Quote from Flip:
Quote from 13013:

It appears we were born in the same month so I'd say there's a 50/50 chance I've got you beat.  (7/14)

nope not same month but a not a month difference 8/6

Quote from dballin:
my brother was born Dec 18 1989. 2 weeks of the 80s are all he saw. k now beat it (beat it...) no one wants to be defeated show em im funky etc *eddie van halen guitar solo*

High 5 to the 80s

ah sorry we are talking bout our selfs lol
Balls jerky
brb forcing him to register for this site to claim the title of "Least time alive in the 80's"
I was a newly conceived foetus when the 80s ended. Do I win?
Edit history:
Sorcerer88: 2010-09-26 05:45:56 pm
I have no solution, but i admire the problem.
whew, where did that come from? awesome, i never got around to finish my run, but i'm glad i could contribute with my maps =)

time to revive the old thread:
http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/toejam__earl_1_practicing.html
And contribute you did!  Glad you're still around man.  I mentioned you several times in the final comments.  I actually did not use your notes (I didn't understand the shorthand), but those maps were a godsend.  I was able to plan the first few routes just by connecting the dots between useful presents, haha.

Anyway, thanks again.  The run should be posted sooner or later for you to see.
Not sure if this is the place to post it, but the blooper reel is not linked to from the TJ&E page.
Thanks for pointing that out!  I'll mention it in the typo thread and see if that helps.  I'm sure someone on the staff will fix that soon. 

Sorry the bloopers are in such poor resolution.  I sent a much better quality version to Nate, but I think because the file size was so large they must have decided to cut it down a few notches.  But, you can hopefully still enjoy them just the same.  Smiley
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Sorry about that, I forgot the run came with bloopers. Thankfully, this also made me fix the Altered Beast page, which also didn't have the bloopers file linked.

The page should be fixed now (try refreshing if it doesn't change right away).
Now a hit show on the CW
The run was super impressive and entertaining, but I have to say that I especially enjoyed the blooper video - probably the funniest I've seen on the site to date Smiley
Really?  Wow, thanks for that!  Yeah, I put a lot of work into it, so I'm really glad you enjoyed it.
Edit history:
Sorcerer88: 2011-03-25 08:24:46 pm
ahh, finally it's here! it's great to see a run i've practiced skillfully fulfilled by someone else, and you've done a great job! i'll comment by levels:

level 3: loved that insane jump at the start! i wonder how you figured that out.
level 7: wouldn't it be better to land before the wings expire and you land on your butt? probably hard to time
level 10: nice skatin'! i think this wasted a lot of my practice runs and you had a safer way to go about the jump etc.
level 14 comment: this sounds like you did an audio commentary, did you? where can i get it?
level 15: nice hula dodge, so triggering land bridges avoids the hula dance/trance?
level 25: forget about that 2 second time saver, you've done it!

again, well done! your text comments were also quite interesting and pretty hilarious, you must have gone through a lot making this run ^^ gaining 20 pounds, watching about a hundred speedruns and television series.. that run forms a section of your life Wink the result is fantastic though, so it was worth it, wasn't it?

edit: oh and that blooper video was highly entertaining as well Cheesy
Edit history:
InsipidMuckyWater: 2011-03-26 07:49:01 am
InsipidMuckyWater: 2011-03-26 07:45:43 am
InsipidMuckyWater: 2011-03-26 07:44:15 am
InsipidMuckyWater: 2011-03-26 07:40:55 am
InsipidMuckyWater: 2011-03-26 07:37:45 am
Wow thanks,  I'm feeling quite flattered by several people (Aitamen also sent me a very nice PM).  Thanks for all the kind words, Sorceror!  It's deeply appreciated.  Yeah, personally I feel this is my best run.  And of course, it's also my first run in like ... 4.5 years?  5.5?  I don't remember.

Holy crap, you READ ALL THE COMMENTS??  Dude, you are the shit!  Though, you are probably also a glutton for punishment, but that's okay.  lol  Yeah, I decided to just be weird and put a buuuunch of random top ten lists on there.  I figured if someone ever started from the bottom, they would find something less hard to read there than walls of texts (see: the rest of my comments).  I'm glad you found them interesting and funny, too.  And yes, it definitely formed a section of my life.  I really don't think I would have bothered with the run if I had known how time consuming it was going to be.

Thanks, about the blooper video, too.  Yeah, that massive pile of DVD's (and Sony Vegas) came in handy for SOMETHIN at least.  Haha

As to your level specific comments:

Level 3:  Haha, thanks.  Actually, I didn't quite hit the trajectory I wanted.  Normally I like to jump across hitting the very LAST pixel of that little peninsula, which looks even cooler.  But, you got the gist.  The idea to do stuff like that or in level 6 just came from, literally, trying  to cut as many corners as possible.

Level 7: I'm glad you brought this up.  I actually addressed this somewhere in the deep recesses of my lair of comments.  No I have to fly all the way, because if I use hi-tops as soon as I can, then the hi-tops are going to run out at the end of level 9 or at the VERY beginning of level 10, and I needed them to last until I could reach the water where I put on the rocket skates.  Otherwise, I would have had to use an extra pair or an extra pair of rocket skates, meaning I'd also have to PICK UP another pair. 

Level 10: Oh you did a jump over the gap too?  Believe it or not, I didn't think of this until about 80% of the way through my attempts.  But yes, I'm pretty sure this is the absolute quickest way to do the level, barring picking up fewer items.  I used to rocket all the back around the gap instead of jumping it, because I thought the gap was too large even for the charged-up jump.

Level 14: Yeah, I asked the guys to remove my audio commentary, and I also asked them at the last second before posting the run to remove that sentence, but they must have forgotten the latter or not known what I was talking about.  My audio commentary, after awhile, sounded way too rehearsed to me.  I did a buuunch of research before recording it (the Pixar philosophy), but then realized that improvisational comments sound a lot better.  Rather than trying to record a new one and worrying about sending it to the staff and figuring out how to sync it up, I just asked them to remove it. 

Level 15:  Oh, no I wasn't interrupting the hula girl's snare by setting off the land bridge, I was just trying to avoid her area of effect.  Unfortunately, I had run out of land to run away from her on, as it were, so I set off the land bridge.  It was worth it to avoid getting too close to her, but ultimately it did cost about a second or slightly less.

Level 25: Lol thanks!  I felt really dumb about that afterwards, but, honestly, I REALLY doubt whether that would have even saved 2 seconds.  I mean, I hit the ship piece about two seconds later, so I'm thinking it only would have saved like 1 second.  Plus, there are all the complications that could happen that might result in a fall down to level 24, so I think I'd do this again.

Again man, thanks so much for all the kind words!  And yeah, you were a huge inspiration for this run, so I must thank you for that as well.  Smiley
haha i can't believe you didn't even bother to look at my route before doing your own Tongue you said you didn't really get them, but as far as i know i wrote them in plain simple english. yes, i did that jump in level 10 as well.

but oh man, please release that audio commentary! it makes watching the run much more involving. actually, i also considered doing a 'rehearsed' commentary because i'm not very good at improvising explanations, and i think it's not a bad way to go about it at all! sure, mixing in some random stuff would be even better, but rehearsed commentary > no commentary.
Well, I'm not sure if you were referring to the same written route of yours that I was talking about.  For the level diagrams, you had little shorthand notes on the margins of the pictures or something.  Those are what I'm talking about.  I can't understand them, because they are heavily abbreviated.

Haha.  Sorry, I really don't like the commentary, so I won't be posting it anywhere.  I also did an improvised commentary just for practice and I realized I liked that one a whole lot better (though it's the wrong length or something or other which is why I didn't/won't be using it) and ever since then I've felt that the rehearsed commentary sounded really canned and hammy.  It's all about the difference between how I talk when I'm reading/memorizing versus when I'm conversational, as opposed to it being about content.  In the future, I will probably record commentary for most of my runs, and I'll just use this experience as a lesson to have a few IDEAS at hand but never to have anything detailed, lest I sound like I'm orating.

I am releasing audio commentary for my Switchball run, though, when/if that ever gets posted.