--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
dex: 2009-12-06 04:18:10 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/ThiefDarkProject.html

Harri 'Rogston' Väisänen and Esa 'SaunaChum' Kivirinta's IL improvements and Training Mission run

Quote:
Video/audio quality is good. After each level, you can sometimes see the Fraps frame counter and hear the victory theme while the video just shows a black screen (probably because of the resolution change), which is kinda weird. It's no big deal, but it'd be better to remove that before putting the runs up on the site

The runs themselves are very well done. They're all improvements, except for the training mission (m00), which doesn't have a run on SDA at the moment. Better planning and execution. It's an easy accept

Whoops, should have told this verifier that the comments included the runs currently up on the site that weren't improved. :-[

Quote:
Training:  Cute intro.  The weapon portion seems slow, but it's hard to tell whether this is due to the player or the lag of the game engine bringing out the weapon.  If its the former, I would say 2-3 seconds could be cut out there.  Everything else was spot on.  Accepting this if the weapons were laggy.

Bafford:  Not included in the verification copies?

Cragscleft:  The NPC boost was pretty impressive.  I don't think you really have to stand that close the prisoner in order to talk/get objective/kill him, so maybe half of a second could have been saved?  It's a small blemish in an otherwise great run.

Bonehoard:  About one second lost to the slip up when trying to shortcut on the stairs.  I am easily impressed by the NPC boost tech.  Not grabbing the ladder at 2:03 lost another small fraction of time, and I don't really know why the runner backed up to re-approach it.  1-2 seconds of improvements isn't much, but it's a pretty small segment and I'd like to see those fixed up.  Accept with a stern wag of the finger.

Assassins:  A boring improvement is still and improvement.

The Sword:  Not included in the verification copies.

Haunted Cathedral:  Also not included...

Lost City:  First two major jumps are some nice time savers.  The runner is right to point out that a lot of this level is just going from A to B without a lot of zazz.  Let this segment prove that all the soliloquies in this game are internal, since Garrett can't talk underwater otherwise.  Jump at 4:23 is really nice.  It seems like the Rope Arrow could have been 1-3 seconds faster, but you have to be pretty precise to get that jump.  Good work on this.  Accept.

Undercover:  Planning was fine and dandy.  Nothing to say otherwise.

Return to the Cathedral:  Wow.  Everything happened so fast.  That jump to the Eye was pretty impressive.  Accept.

Escape:  Good job escaping, I suppose.  It's a big improvement either way.  Easy acceptance.

I didn't get any other videos.  I don't know if they weren't included or if the runner(s) just felt like talking about runs that didn't exist.

Quote:
Verifier: 00 is nice enough, and it's competent, not much else to comment on - really fast
Verifier: 02 is super
Verifier: if I had three hands, I'd give it a triple thumbs up
Verifier: ...where did I put that body, hum...
Verifier: err, uhh
Verifier: well, it's great
Verifier: the boost is especially awesome
Verifier: 03 is just as nice
Verifier: another cool boost, and it's great overall
Verifier: the ladders at the end leave a little to be desired, but hey, it's an improvement, and a good one
Verifier: 04... this level is usually boring
Verifier: usually, because he definitely is having fun in this level and it's great to watch it
Verifier: what little is actually gameplay that needs to be speedy is executed well
Verifier: 07 is one of the levels I don't like at all
Verifier: The improvement is still pretty nice
Verifier: 08 is also an improvement, quite a big one in fact, but it's a bit underwhelming, I don't know why
Verifier: maybe because the runner sometimes seems to go slower than possible... still, a palpable improvement
Verifier: 09 is a second chipped off, what else can you say
Verifier: 10 - same as above
Verifier: Overall, they're clean improvements, accept
Verifier: Doubly accepted: level 02 and 03, they're great

Decision: Accept

Reason: They're improvements
Thread title:  
Quote:
I don't think you really have to stand that close the prisoner in order to talk/get objective/kill him, so maybe half of a second could have been saved?

You need to be inside the cell so that the event will properly end. Otherwise killing cutty could cause run to fail and/or leaving the cell without killing him.

Quote:
The weapon portion seems slow, but it's hard to tell whether this is due to the player or the lag of the game engine bringing out the weapon

The engine has really slow weapon switch so the lag is unavoidable.

Quote:
Not grabbing the ladder at 2:03 lost another small fraction of time, and I don't really know why the runner backed up to re-approach it.  1-2 seconds of improvements isn't much, but it's a pretty small segment and I'd like to see those fixed up.  Accept with a stern wag of the finger.

NPC boost in this map was really difficult and almost every time it would land to the other side of the statue (meaning loss of 2s at least compared to this one).

Thanks again to verifiers Smiley