List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/ZeldaMinishCap.html

Wesley 'SD2' Bester's single-segment run with the Ocarina glitch and deaths

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I'm not sure about this speedrun, the run is very good, though, i saw so many mistakes plus luck wasn't nice to you most of the time. I, for now, will accept this, but i want to encourage the speedrunner to keep trying to get better attempts.

Quote:
Verifier: hi Mike
Verifier: I just finished Minish Cap
Verifier: this is definitely an improvement to the run that SD2 pulled before, and I'm glad that he did
Verifier: no more slopping rolling makes me happy
Verifier: as well as a super fantastic Giant Octorok fight
Verifier: there's a little trouble with Vaati's second form, but that's a complete bitch and the overall Vaati fight is still good
Verifier: and the ocarina fight completely rocks my socks
Verifier: so accept please Smiley
Verifier: audio and visual are completely fine as well, no desync like last time Cheesy

Quote:
Sorry it took so long for me to verify this game; I really wanted to verify it all in one sitting, and that is rather difficult to plan at times. So, the run:

The Audio/Video quality was fine (though it had less than GBA quality; you might want to consider sending verifiers a better quality so that we can actually catch cheating/discrepancies should it be used -- though that is obviously not a concern in this particular game, as it is SS and Zelda), but there was a graphical glitch on 19:13. It was in a cutscene and you could hear the sound, so no real gameplay data was lost, but you might want to check it (in case it's a rendering error). I used VLC to verify, so I'm pretty sure my viewer wasn't the problem (it was a one time occurrence).

The gameplay quality was great. When watching through it initially I noticed some gameplay errors at times (though they were all addressed in the comments as I saw afterwards), including some faulty rolling and a Keese chopping off 10 seconds. This would have happened more, but the other times it happened (where it wasn't purposely done) it was in a room that spawns you back on the floor you fell from (minus 0.5 heart).

The route seemed excellent, and I honestly didn't even know the route could be that optimized or well-planned out (largely because I lack extensive knowledge on this particular Zelda game). The Ocarina glitches seemed appropriate where used and I never really had the impression it could be used anywhere else (in a dungeon, at least). The glitch was self-explanatory (including the relative height), so no problem there.

The run in itself seemed optimized and the playing quality (save for the occassional bossfight, which simply aren't as easy as their 3D counterparts) was on par with some of the megaman runs.

I had only one concern: in the Temple of Droplets you use your leaf to traverse through the lower regions, yet you can swim throughout the entire area and enter any part of land regardless of whether you were on the temple or not (in particular: the leaf momentum boosting through gate), and I watched carefully from there on out, but I could not discern the reason to actually use that leaf. Could the runner please comment on what particular time in that temple you actually needed to carry the leaf around for?

All that's left to say is 'accept' and my compliments to the runner for a highly entertaining and skillfully done run.

Quote:
that was fun to watch

especially liked the first darknut fight and the bigocto battle

that ocarina glitch is crazy, if it could be compared to the secret worlds in metroid prime then it should be categorized the same way

a few slipups here and there, but nothing run killing

if it does replace TSAs run then its certainly faster

if not it should be sufficient impetus for someone to do one to usurp him

i'd accept

Decision: Accept

Reason: Congrats on the long-awaited improvement, SD2!
Thread title:  
DS Dictator
Congratulations SD2.
Pika9323 (who discovered Ocarina glitch) will be really happy to see this!!

Quote:
I had only one concern: in the Temple of Droplets you use your leaf to traverse through the lower regions, yet you can swim throughout the entire area and enter any part of land regardless of whether you were on the temple or not (in particular: the leaf momentum boosting through gate), and I watched carefully from there on out, but I could not discern the reason to actually use that leaf. Could the runner please comment on what particular time in that temple you actually needed to carry the leaf around for?

I wasn't a verifier but I can answer that, if the solid ground was greyish/blue in Temple of Droplets, Link cannot walk over it unless he was from a leaf or shallow water. Without it Link cannot hit the switch which lowers the 2 gates (before the 'skippable' Ice block puzzle).

Sea of Green
Can't wait to see this posted. Smiley Also I was verifier 2 and I still can't type late at night... I meant "ocarina glitch," not "ocarina fight." Silly me. Roll Eyes "Slopping rolling" is pretty special, too.
dem tokay
Quote from Greenalink:

I wasn't a verifier but I can answer that, if the solid ground was greyish/blue in Temple of Droplets, Link cannot walk over it unless he was from a leaf or shallow water. Without it Link cannot hit the switch which lowers the 2 gates (before the 'skippable' Ice block puzzle).

You also can't get on the platform at the very end of the room without the leaf.

Glad the verifiers liked the new run.  Thanks for the verification, guys and gals. Smiley
v3, grats on getting accepted. Smiley I was anticipating this more than Pokey's OOT SS, believe it or not.