mikwuyma: 2010-04-15 02:41:21 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/ZeldaMinishCap.html

Single-segment run with deaths

Verifier Responses

Quote:
warning, lack of paragraphing.

verifying minish cap:
word to future runners and possibly sda: american version is faster by about 1 minute because you have to talk the the elder of the palace of winds in the european version, otherwise you get stuck in the room because the woman is still guarding the entrance if you walk back.
a/v: second part of run (after dvd swap) is slightly desynched
cheating: none
run comments:
throughout the run there are many movement errors, most are minor, but glaring ones are before melari's mines, gleeok, hyrule town during book quest, temple of droplets, palace of winds. however, the runner does NO sword assisted ocarinas, which helps offset this, along with great lategame.
can the lilypad be rolled onto when entering minish villiage without waiting? looks kinda sloppy. nice madderpillar fight. chuchu was fairly good. takes a lot of hits, but he didn't really jump. messes up a bomb in mount crenel for grip ring. seems to fail a lot of roll dodges. awful gleeok as said, I'd reset there after the bad movement beforehand personally. amazing black moblin fight. dark nut was meh. roll dodging in castor wilds was good. gets a heart, wastes time taking damage then heals completely early in the dungeon.  another meh dark nut. Coloured Godan was bad, aren't his pillar arrangements fixed in the head? Are the dialogues with the minish required in book quest other than the one about Librari being trapped? gets stuck in bees. scorpion room wasn't great, reminds me of a normal player.  temple of droplets is amazingly done, scorpions were better looking that the first, but the room with the ice maze was awful. amazing blue chuchu fight, while setting up the death too. octorok was great too. Sneaking was ok. returning was ugly. messed up the ocarina glitch a few times, wasn't too bad. disliking the first room of palace of winds. wizzrobes were good. shields the flip turtles, cane of pacci would have been faster methinks, saving a menu change.  parallel slider room wasn't great.  gidbo dodging was slow. gyorg pair was good. dark hyrule was very nice, bar messing up the ocarina glitch a couple of times, wasting about 10secs. failed on second trial, darknuts were a free for all, looks like there was no attempt of counterattacking, which would have sped the fight up, is a minor complaint.
Vaati: awful phase 1 overall, but last cycle is good. phase 2 runner either misfires or forgets which formation his eyes are in cycle 2, but phase 2 is good. phase 3 runner messes up becoming a minish and trapping the eye-thing in arm 1. arm 2 has bad trapping too. however, part two of vaati 3 is very good, perfect timing on his quad eye ball attack.

accept because it's an improvement, reject on opinion

Quote:
General comments
- Audio and video are fine, except for audio desync starting with a long pause (switching the discs, as he mentions, from 1:45:34 to 1:46:43) that lasts for the rest of the video--the audio is ahead of the video.
- Rolls into walls / trees / enemies more than I'd like: the end result is that the run can look a little sloppy.

Deepwood Shrine
- Pushes the statue a little oddly for the barrel puzzle; just go around and push it over, why push down THEN over?
- Rolls into dust a couple times, not super efficient
- Nice miniboss fight
- Great boss fight!

To Mt. Crenel
- Messed up bomb throwing thanks to badly placed peahat
- Sloppy rolling when trying to enter Melari's Mines: rolls past door & misses, then rolls past it the other way and misses AGAIN

Cave of Flames
- Throws the rollup enemy the wrong way, then at the rock, before getting him in the hole
- Boss: he falls in LAVA! Wastes only a fraction of a second, but looks sloppy. He acknowledged this, though.

Getting to Hyrule Castle 1
- No issues

Hyrule Castle 1
- No issues

North Hyrule Field
- SWEET miniboss fight with two moblins

Castor Wilds 1
- HE KEEPS MISSING HIS ROLLS AND IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS. (Missed the ladder)

Sidequesting 1 (Pegasus Boots)
- Rolls into the bell... *sigh* Such sloppy rolling all the time. Tongue Other than that, very smooth.

Castor Wilds 2
- Runs into the wall after shooting the first Eyegore...
- Rolls into the swamp accidentally...

Wind Ruins
- Rolling *through* the Armos is pro. Cheesy (Twice! So great.)
- Is careful not to activate the cutscene with the moving Armos, great.

Fortress of Winds
- Botched a spin attack on four Stalfos, but fought them off quickly anyway.
- Messes up a little pulling the switch on the disappearing bridge
- Good boss fight yet again!

Sidequests, Getting to Temple of Droplets
- Gets caught up on townspeople while rolling around, delivering library books
- Accidentally talks to a Minish before getting Power Bracelets
- Good Scissors Beetle fight--those things are BASTARDS.
- Flies to the wrong Wind Crest...

Temple of Droplets
- Activates ocarina glitch! Walks through walls! AWESOME
- Great navigating with the lilypad, especially skipping the stupid ice block puzzle! Cheesy
- Falls off ice thanks to Pestos... and gets hit by easily-avoidable slow-moving chain of Spike Traps for no reason. :/
- Dies to warp back to beginning of temple
- Activates ocarina glitch again to avoid big key door and skips most of second half of dungeon Cheesy
- Has some bad luck with first cycle of Giant Octorok, but makes up for it on the second & third cycles which are great and very fast. This boss can be tricky when he spins around, so good luck is essential.

Sidequests, Adding Third Element & Getting to Palace of Winds
- Rolls into a castle wall. *sigh*
- Is a little too cautious with the last two castle guards in the mini stealth section.
- Falls into a pit in the castle basement...
- Warps to Palace of Winds to sequence break with ocarina glitch! Fantastic! Saves a LOT of time by doing this. Cheesy

Palace of Winds
- Takes quite a bit of damage in the Wizzrobe miniboss fight, but it's almost impossible NOT to.
- Stupid mistake falling through a grate, but doesn't affect the time at all (you still have to wait for the platform underneath to come back).
- Gets frozen by an ice wizzrobe while fighting the moblins. Looks very ugly.
- If you just place a bomb, the Red Darknut miniboss will immediately get blasted off the platform. (Might have to use remote bombs but I think a regular bomb would work.)
- This boss fight by itself is really annoying; has a little bad luck (bubbles are nearly impossible to avoid) but overall does a nice job.

Adding Fourth Element & Dark Hyrule Castle
- Waits a long time with the last two castle guards again... maybe that's the only way to be totally safe.
- Uses ocarina glitch to skip the castle basement, niiiiice.
- And most of the castle in general, lol! The run is worth this alone.
- Accidentally gets hit by a Keaton in the room with the four switches (the room immediately before the triple darknut fight)
- Has a little trouble hitting the floating eyes in Vaati's first form...
- Excellent job on Vaati's second form.
- Accidentally regrows... looks ugly, wastes a very small amount of time.
- And it's over!

Overall, I think this run is very good, with some mistakes that could use cleaning up. However, the importance of the ocarina warp glitch cannot be overstated. It's amazing how much time it alone saves! This run is an improvement over the previous one, and I think it belongs on SDA.

Accept.

Quote:
Just finished watching the run.

Video is fine but the audio desyncs after the disc switch at 1:46.  Hopefully that can be fixed.

The run is very good.  Mistakes that lose more than 5-10 seconds are few and far between.  Most of the tricks are pulled off pretty fast.  The 2nd and 5th boss are pretty bad, gyorg pair is understandable because he's mostly luck based but 2nd boss was just bad adding an extra phase.  That being said, they don't cost too much time so I guess its ok.  There are some tricks he doesn't do like the gust jar mushroom trick while climbing Mount Crenel and the text skip before the first darknut in Palace of Winds but they don't save too much time so I guess its ok.  Overall I definitely think the run is acceptable.

While these comments are mostly positive, the runner requested I reject his run.

Quote:
eah, go ahead and make a thread.

As you can see by the comments, it is a very sloppy run.  What the last verifier (note: first one in this post) said is very, very true though.  He accepts the run because it's an improvement, not because it's an incredibly well made run.  I don't want to have this happen (repeat of the new OoT TAS on tasvideos).

Accept it if you really want to, but I'd like a reject if at all possible.

Decision: Reject

Reason: The runner requested it.

I'll keep the run up for a month, just PM me if you want the link.
Thread title:  
Waiting hurts my soul...
The previous run doesn't mention that it has a death in the info line, it's buried as an aside in the comments. Can it be added to the info, or just wait for the runner to submit again?
I have respect for the runner accepting that his run can use some finetuning. I hope he finishes a better run soon.
dem tokay
Thanks for rejecting Mike.

Might as well answer verifier questions:

Quote:
can the lilypad be rolled onto when entering minish villiage without waiting? looks kinda sloppy.

As far as I know, yes, but it's almost frame perfect, something I'm not going to bother trying in a single segment run, especially when half my attempts don't reach that far to begin with.

Quote:
Coloured Godan was bad, aren't his pillar arrangements fixed in the head?

I was wondering the same myself, actually.  Curse me for not doing enough research.  Anyway, I saw a speed run of the dungeon on youtube, and the runner (Greenalink) went straight to the right pillar every time.  I'm going to assume yes, but I'll have to do some further testing.

Quote:
Are the dialogues with the minish required in book quest other than the one about Librari being trapped?

Yes, they are all required.  You cant get the first book unless you talk to the minish at the bookshelf, you can't even enter the second house until the first book is returned, and you cant get to the power bracelet path unless you talk to the minish inside the scholar's house.

Quote:
(@ first statue puzzle in DS) Pushes the statue a little oddly for the barrel puzzle; just go around and push it over, why push down THEN over?

Tested, ever so slightly faster to do the method in the run. (by a couple of frames, if memory serves me right)

Quote:
(@ wind ruins) Is careful not to activate the cutscene with the moving Armos, great.

Fun fact, activating the "cutscene" wastes no time.

Quote:
(@ ToD) Falls off ice thanks to Pestos... and gets hit by easily-avoidable slow-moving chain of Spike Traps for no reason. :/

Getting hit by the Pestos was a mistake, but hitting the Spike traps wasn't.  I was lowering my health so i wouldn't have to lose so much at the miniboss.  Yes, I almost fell off, and I won't try it ever again, but I had to wait anyway.[/quote]

Nothing else really of note, any questions go ahead and ask, I accept all criticism.

Also, if anyone knows a faster guards strat, I would love to have it.  Anything that makes them easier (one of the most nervewracking parts of the run for me) is also appreciated.

Also, I feel like I have to comment on the rolling sloppiness.  I'd love to say it was caused by me using an analog stick on a GC controller, and maybe that's part of the reason.  I tend to rush things, however, so I miss a lot of rolls.  I haven't gotten an improvement yet, so I want to ask you guys: would you rather see a run with me being more cautious around finicky areas, or the more aggressive rolling style with a harsher judging on my part as to the quality of the run?