--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/ZeldaLinkToThePast.html

Philippe 'Wak' Brisson's single-segment run

I have to quote the comments for this run before I correct them, because there is something very interesting in them. Wink

Quote:
Since 2004 I dreamed of beating TSA's time in ALTTP. At the beginning I wasn't even near to beat him, which pushed me to create a new category: 100%.

A couple of years passed, the route had been maximisex in the TAS and it permitted me to create a segmented run of ALTTP... even though all I was doing is create a new category.

I decided it was finally the time to beat TSA's run, after 5 years and 4 different runs, 3 from TSA. It took a while, it took hours and patience from both me and my girlfriend who watched me swear at the game every evening except one.

You can now watch part of this evening by looking up to this run.

Sorry Wak, but that was just too good to pass up.

Verifier Responses

Quote:
This run is excellent, congrats Wak.

I really liked this run, just a little amount of mistakes, and you handled most of the tricks pretty well.

You have already won the link to the past page Smiley

Quote:
Verifier: For the A Link to the Past verifying...
Verifier: I'll just sum it up with: A good run Smiley

Quote:
Video/Audio Quality: very good.

Some minor no cheating detected.

I was excited to see this pop into my inbox to be verified. I know I watched the segmented one, but I didn't even see this one go up in the thread. So, I re-download TSA's run to make a side-by-side comparison of the runs, and then comes the first let down: This new video is 3 minute and 40 seconds longer than the current one. "Why did the runner even submit it?" I wonder...

So I kept my eye out for mistakes and I find the following:

He just stood (laid) there as his uncle walked off into the pouring rain.
He wasn't very careful and fell down a hole trying to get into the castle.
Obviously hacked the game to not be hit by the spinning spiky ball the jailer wields.
He forgets to close the secret passage behind him, which will lead to capture of the Zelda after he gets the Master Sword.
Steals the heart container from the cathedral without asking, but this seems to happen quite a bit in games like this, like everything belongs to the hero, so I'll let it slide.
Enters some ruins without the proper permits, and proceeds to pilfer some artifacts (this is a recurring theme, so I don't list each time, I'll just keep a count.) count = 12
Proceeds to destroy priceless statues (yes they came to life, but they're art!)
Talks to strangers and takes candy (well boots, but they're as good as candy.)
Running through the fields he carelessly bumps into many creatures without apologizing.  I'll keep count again: count = 84
Damages a bookshelf in the library by running into at full speed. He does this quite often as well with other objects, walls, cliff faces, etc. I'll keep count: count = 12
Stole a book from the library without checking it out
Momentarily forgets how to jump off cliffs.
Upsets the Mudman's natural habitat as he goes off to pillage another ruin.
Disturbs the sandworms' mating ritual and proceeds to slaughter them, we may never see these elegant creatures again.
Becomes a bunny and fails to pick any of the pretty flowers.
Runs right through a bouncer without being bounced back, obviously the designers intended the hitbox to reach further than that.
Steals an ancient sword, the Master Sword, from the Misty Woods, which causes the mist to clear. Now future generations will never understand why it's called the Misty Woods.
Storming a castle and breaking a barrier that was obviously meant to keep people out.
He allows the princess to be sent to another dimension, adding another hour before he'll be able to actually save her.
Takes out his frustration at life by pulling and pushing on safety railing, possibly damaging its structural integrity.
Recruits an unwitting monkey to open a sealed door to conduct obvious theft.
He tricks a small boy into giving him a shovel by saying he'll retrieve a flute, but after digging up the flute he keeps it.
He caused resonant frequencies to break open a historic weather vane, which was a cleverly disguised bird caged that housed the bird of despair.
Steals the entire life savings (300 rupees) of an elderly couple.
Burns an ancient archeology site irrevocably damaging the remains of some strange creature.
Destroys an ancient magic tablet.
Purchases outrageously overpriced flippers, forever driving the price out of range for the average consumer.
Rids the Misery Mire of the constant rain, destroying the delicate balance of this eco system.
Drains the water from the reservoir, causing fish in the lake to flounder on land as they suffocate trying to breathe air.
Purchases an explosive meant for recreational use and uses it to deface a pyramid.  Inside he decides to litter in the fountain.
Drives three perfectly good stools into the ground.
Causes an earthquake in a known rockslide area, burying the mountain village below.
Breaks the seal on the ancient tower, releasing Ganon upon the Dark World.
The last remaining set of six living statues is destroyed, along with the last three sand worms in existence, a travesty all around.
Hacks the game once again, calling the bird of despair in the Dark World, which we all know can't be done.
He then proceeds to show the entire ending. Oh, that's why it's nearly 3+ minutes longer. Well then, I guess I can overlook everything else and accept it.

Even with the minor, and a couple full second(s) mistakes, it's still about 4 minutes faster. It does use a new shortcut, but the gameplay isn't any less exquisite, so there's no reason to think the time saving only comes from the new route. In case you missed it, Accept. Of course, Link should answer for his atrocities. Fin.

Quote:
AV Quality: Acceptable, with the usual can't hear sounds on the left side of the screen cuz the left side is whack.

Cheating: No.

Impressive: Yes this is a terrific run. It is a pretty long for a single segment and the runner is very consistent throughout. Many boss fights were very impressive in this run. Also, finally someone beat that trash talking Rodrigo character at ALTTP.

Comments: This run follows the route/strats used in the single segment which are optimized to the maximisex. The execution is solid throughout and the runner only has trouble in a few spots but nothing bad enough to warrant a rejection. The runner got a bit conservative toward the very end with item pick ups but considering how long the run is and the minimal time lost for this I am ok with it.

Verdict: Accept...maximisex

Decision: Accept

Reason: This run is maximisexy
(user is banned)
LOL
Before writing anything else, I just want to say that I hate to be the politically correct moron and I sincerely apologize for it beforehand...
Since noone else has commented on it, I thought that I had to defend Rodrigo against the last verifyer's attack. It's definately under the belt talking bad about a person in a thread that he's not involved in. For an outside observer, it also reflects pretty badly on sda when it is in a verifyer thread. Beating (or more like crushing) an "unbeatable" time (without video proof available to the public) and then publish it should be more than enough of a statement anyways...

While I'm at it, I have to say that I'm very much looking forward to this run. I just wish I would know which day it will be published so I can make sure I don't get any other plans for that evening...
Quote from ktwo:
Before writing anything else, I just want to say that I hate to be the politically correct moron and I sincerely apologize for it beforehand...
Since noone else has commented on it, I thought that I had to defend Rodrigo against the last verifyer's attack. It's definately under the belt talking bad about a person in a thread that he's not involved in. For an outside observer, it also reflects pretty badly on sda when it is in a verifyer thread. Beating (or more like crushing) an "unbeatable" time (without video proof available to the public) and then publish it should be more than enough of a statement anyways...

100% agreed. If we're really better than Rodrigo, then we don't have to waste energy trash talking him.
Sorry if i missed it ... what was Wak's final time for this run?
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Quote from mikwuyma:
Quote from ktwo:

100% agreed. If we're really better than Rodrigo, then we don't have to waste energy trash talking him.

You guys are right it was uncalled for. I will keep future verifier comments on the topic of the run.
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from UCpro:
Sorry if i missed it ... what was Wak's final time for this run?

I'd say 1:35:xx or close to that.
MrGrunz is a guay
It's in Waks sig

Quote:
Single Segment any%: 1:35:40 (unofficial 1:34:37)

Too bad you couldn't beat the one that got deleted.
(user is banned)
I timed it but I am always 10 seconds off the real time. It is either 10 seconds more or less.
ok, thanks ... great time Wak!! ... can't wait to watch this!!
The BaldurManiac
Amazing run, thank you for doing it.
How would this run be timed. Does the time stop the moment you enter the triforce door?
Yes, TSDA.
(user is banned)
I was rather wondering when the timer starts...

I thought it started when link is out of the bed to when he enters the final door, but everytime I'm 10 seconds off the final time =(.
Quote from Wak:

I thought it started when link is out of the bed to when he enters the final door, but everytime I'm 10 seconds off the final time =(.

So when does the timer actually start?
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from TSDA:
Quote from Wak:

So when does the timer actually start?

The timer starts when you can first control your character, which is when he lands on the floor from jumping out of bed. I'm not sure why your timing is off by 10 seconds though, watching the Flash stream of the video, I timed it at the listed time.
Fucking Weeaboo
Well, if you know the end time, just calculate backwards on a SS run.  I'm guessing it's probably when you start the save file (name entry shouldn't count).
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from Lord_VG:
Well, if you know the end time, just calculate backwards on a SS run.  I'm guessing it's probably when you start the save file (name entry shouldn't count).

That's what I did and got the point where link lands on the floor.
Everybody loves Hypnotoad!
Quote from ZenicReverie:
Quote from Lord_VG:

That's what I did and got the point where link lands on the floor.

I timed the 100% run that Wak did when I verified it, and I distinctly remember starting when Link jumps out of bed and ending when Link walks through the door to the triforce room.  Since the time I got was 2:00:01, as listed, I'm going to assume I had the correct time start/stop.