1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Zelda1.html

SS no Up+A Warping run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Flipster!!!!!!!!!!!!

Audio/Visual is coo.
No game genie nonsense.

Zelda 1st quest is one of my favorite speed runs.  So to say this is a treat is an understatement.  I want Zelda to get over here and sit on my lap so I can look at her for 36 minutes and 58 seconds.  Cuz I want to look at all of her, even that quick ending credit sequence she's been working so hard on at the gym.

Let's go:
Link gets the wooden sword.  THIS RUN IS AMAZING!
Dungeon 3 - Quick to the raft.  Shooting his laser from his kidney during the 'raft get' just reeks of talent.  You get the compass, but not the map?!  Wouldn't have wasted any time, c'mon!  Did you see that boss fight?  That was like free sex.
No detouring to Dungeon 4 - Good start, but boost off those disco balls.  And man, did you slaughter every bat in the ladder room or what?  You make Batman cry.  That 4 for 1 bomb hit before the boss was godly.  Link gets the hell outta dodge.
On to Dungeon 1 - Obviously easy goings here after doing 3 and 4 first.  But you left that fairy on your way to the bow!  She'll get recaptured.  You bastard.  Then the runner goes straight to the boss.  How can you play this game without the boomerang?!  You make Boomer Kuwanger cry.
Container get.  You know, if all these hidden monies are a secret to everybody, how the hell does Link know about them?  Candle get.  Another fairy forgotten.  You make Tinkerbell cry.
White sword get.  Why so racist?
Dungeon 5 - I love how you jack that mummies bombs without killing him.  Did you get his wallet too?  We can do some identity theft.  More insane bomb laying.  The rest is pretty smooth.
Heart container spree!  Woohoo!  What is a Heart?  Nothing but a miserable pile of secret rupees.
Dungeon 2 - Runs through this dungeon like a hot knife through butter.  Or a hungry pig through human flesh.  Pick your analogy.
Blows all his money on shopping and stuff.  You make Bankers cry.
Dungeon 7 - You blow your money on that meat and just give it to that moocher?  Shank that fool!  You navigate those baddies and boomerangs like a Ninja, applause.  Dragon attack!!!  Oh wait.  He's no different than Dungeon 1, um, anti-climatic.  Oh well.  Then you waste about 7 minutes chasing that fairy and say never mind.  You may as well have finished the job.  When a girl plays hard to get, she usually wants you, bad.
Magic Sword get!  The weapon that makes Ganon scream "You're wrecking my ish".  It's so bad ass.  You wanna know why?  Huh?  Do you?  I'll tell you why it's so effin' awesome.  The Magic Sword is so big and beastly, it has to go in the "A" item box diagonally.  Oh snap, what son?
Level 6 - You boosted off that fireball in the bat room on purpose, right?  Midway through, the runner gets molested pretty bad.  This causes a lengthy refill at the triforce piece get.  Damn.  So it really costs time, twice.  It's like getting raped.  And then having to pay for the experience.
Flute to 2 to get to 8.  But it's really not a flute.  It's more of a recorder.  Do you remember recorders?  The most annoying instrument ever created.  But you were forced to practice it for school.  And your parents just wanted to break it across your skull after 3 seconds of hearing it.  Ahh, memories...
Dungeon 8 - Mostly calm, but ZOMG!  Manhandla was gonna man handle you from behind, ass first (Delicious pun).  Your bomb dropping luck is truly made from a pact with satan.  Final dragon slayed.
A bit of fighting outside of Ganon's house.  I first thought the runner was hesitant to enter.  Then I noticed all the red and blue and realized Link was in the middle of a gang war.
Dungeon 9 - Okay, now hold on a minute.  You make that first Patra skip, but then it hits you after you've entered the door.  Really?!  Gawd, this game must hate you.  Baller, picking up that blue rupee with your sword after killing Patra.  Friggin sword must be magical.  Adamantium arrow get.  These things would kill the Terminator.  Ever notice how Link likes to hold stuff up?  What a show off.  He needs to stop being so dramatic.  The music only encourages him...  Having taken damage, the runner resorts to shooting arrows instead of sword lasers.  And the precision is stunning.  Almost like Zelda taught him in a parallel timeline.  See what I did there?  Well, did you?  I made it obvious.  Unfortuantely, the Ganon fight is not optimal.  There's only two noticeable bad spots in the whole run.  The ankle grabbing during dungeon 6 and this fight.  Oh well.
Evil is defeated and the run is over.  Did I mention this run is amazing?

In all seriousness, the run is incredible.  The dedication shines through.  The item drop knowledge alone is beyond human.  This is a glorious addition to the SDA site.  I ACCEPT like a fairy filling your hearts.  Darkwing duck is sexy, like Zelda.

Quote:
I knew this run was great before I verified it because I saw the stream where Darkwing Duck got the run, and then I saw the restream where he commentated over his recorded run. I decided to watch Votava's run so I could compare the current run on site with this one.

HOLY FUCK THE VIDEO AND AUDIO QUALITY ON VOTAVA'S RUN IS SO BAD. Seriously, that factor alone should make this run obsolete Votava's. I'm 99% sure that the a/v quality on this run would be rejected by today's standards. Not just by SDA, but by anyone who wants to preserves their eyes and ears.

Anyway, this run is way tighter than Votava's. The route is better, the play is more solid, and the movement and combat is tighter. If you need an example, compare Votava's Level 5 Darknuts fight to DW's. I'm pretty sure DW saves at least 15 seconds over Votava in that room alone. Honestly, the fact that DW got within less than a minute of Votava's time without up+a is incredible, especially when you consider that up+a in level 5 saves around 30 seconds, and that's only one up+a. The only thing I can think of that is worse than Votava's run is the Gannon fight, which DW admits in his comments is bad.

The only knock against this run is the fact DW figured out how to screen wrap on console after he did this run, which saves a good chunk of time. Since console screen wrapping wasn't known when DW did this run, and this run is so much better than Votava's in every single way, this run should still be ACCEPTED. I'm guessing I can expect a run with screen wraps sometime in the future from DW.

Congrats DW for reviving interest in a game where interest was dead for a very long time, and upping the level of running an incredible amount!

P.S. PJ, just because Votava is good at a lot of games doesn't salvage the fact that his Zelda 1 strats are outdated. Tongue

Quote:
Audio/Video: Good.
No Cheating detected.

I'm pretty much gonna echo what the first 2 verifiers have said.

I was watching DW when he was doing attempts for this (though I wasn't there for the actual run OR the replay, but I did watch the replay on my own time), so I knew the frustrations in running this game. DW knows how the drop system works, and can (almost) force bomb drops at will. And rupees. Those are important too. Add in the tighter execution and this is an obvious ACCEPT.

Yeah, there were a few less than stellar rooms, but that's to be expected with this game. Enemies love to troll. DW managed to keep them to a minimum though.

I got the time at 34:36.241 (124450 frames). Gains control at 781, loses control at 125231.

Quote:
The A/V quality is sound, and there aren't any indicators of foul play, funny business or shenanigans that I can tell.

As for gameplay, wow.  Clearly DW is not only very knowledgeable concerning the mechanics of Zelda (as he proves in his comments) but his execution is amazing.  There are plenty of impressive moments in this run as far as quick reaction times and execution goes, particularly the way he walks around enemies, dodges boomerangs (most of them anyway) and my personal favorite, damages enemies just so he can walk through them on during the damage frames.  Add into this the way he keeps track of the kill counters and you have an impressive run on a brutally difficult game.

If I wasn't so late in verifying I'd go through each section and give my opinion, but for the sake of time (and, because it's already been said by DW in his own comments), I definitely agree that this run is one for the books.  There are, of course, a few mistakes and unlucky sections, but they're  few and far between, and besides, what good is a run without at least one near-death experience in it?

Highlights for me:  Stealing the bomb from the mummy without killing it, dodging boomerangs like a madman in level 7, almost every darknut room towards the end, and the way DW dodges enemies instead of killing them so that he doesn't mess up his kill counter.

Favorite bloopers for me:  Planting a bomb in the wrong direction on the like-likes in Level 4 (Doh!), the mean old wizzrobes that almost kill him, and that flirtatious fairy!

I couldn't accept more.  I timed this exactly the same as above: 34:36.241 seconds.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Darkwing Duck!
Thread title:  
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
There was trouble, DW was called, and he hath saved the princess.

Way to go Darkwing thumbsup
Highly Evolved
Well, I just went over how much time I could save with the screen scroll glitch using roughly the same route, and it's around 90 seconds, so I'll be doing attempts with sub 33 as the goal sometime or other.
Cool Smiley Looking forward to watching this one!
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
I said it while he was commenting on the run in his stream and I'll say it again.  Darkwing is the man for doing a Zelda 1st quest run!  Really amazing DD, thank you for gracing us with this run.
Master-88
That one was just fucking cool. Nice job. Votava ancient run is still up here did you plan redo it too?
Highly Evolved
Quote from MASTER-88:
That one was just fucking cool. Nice job. Votava ancient run is still up here did you plan redo it too?

Well, I just got a run that obsoletes Votava's run and the removed TSA run.  Can't comment on the TG Up+A time since I haven't seen it.