List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Major Skips any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Accept.  It's a very smooth run on an unfairly hard game.  While ideally speaking, teleporting repeatedly is noticeably faster than walking, I cannot fault the runner for not taking the time to find ways to teleport safely across rooms; that would be more the sort of thing you'd see in a TAS.  Just something to keep in mind in case anyone ever goes insane and wants to improve on the run.

Also, a note to potential viewers: if you don't want to kill your ears, mute the run.  Classical music on an NES sound chip should never have existed.

Quote:
This is fast and deathless. Kudos for getting the skip first try too, it'll be difficult improving this run only by smoother gameplay.

But, this is not the PC version. We probably need to reject the run because of that. The lack of PC speaker sound is even more deafening than the re-used midi-tunes.

In all honesty, accept. We don't want to put the runner through this any more than he already has Smiley

Quote:
Video: It's fine, it looks bad but that's because Captain Comic looks like it was drawn by a five-year old.

Audio: It's really loud and clear, which is awful because it means I'm forced to listen to the game's butchering of classical pieces. I'm sure there's some law against using public domain works in this way.

This run will be very hard to beat for two reasons.

1. It is deathless. Beating this game is easy, but beating this game without dying is a frustrating exercise in luck. I'm still baffled how the runner didn't die in the space station. And yes, I'm aware of jumping to make the enemies spawn above you, but that doesn't work 100% of the time.

2. The stupid wallzip was accomplished first try. I've tried that trick before, and I can say it is just as hard as Mecha Richter says in his comments.

In response to teleporting everywhere, I don't think that's faster because there's a slight pause when teleporting.

Accept, now please don't run this game again, it's painful to watch. Sad

Quote:
Audio: Good... I guess?
Video: Good.
Cheating: Nope.

I went into this run with several expectations: Fast, deathless, contains a wall skip, and music that will make my ears bleed.

Was it fast? Yes.
Was it deathless? Yes.
Did he get the skip? Yes.
Are my ears bleeding? Yes.

All of my expectations were met, and the runner even got the skip on the first try.

Decision: Accept.

Quote:
He made me play this game, vodka was my answer. After playing it and watching this run it's an easy accept. Very optimal route.

I approve of the audio/visual quality, though I don't approve of the audio itself, those poor classical songs : (

Decision: Accept.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Todd 'Mecha Richter' Foreman!
Thread title:  
Is PJ
How in the world were there 5 verifiers for this?!

Also, congrats Mecha Richter!
Edit history:
Mecha Richter: 2011-11-19 11:02:38 pm
Haters gonna hate
I'm just surprised as you are PJ!

Thanks everyone! I was amazed when I was not only able to get through it without dying (that damn spaceship area ruined my run so many times), but I got the zip first try! I practiced that zip for a while and was never able to get it immediately, so the fact I was able to do it first try in the run was like catching lightning in a bottle.

And I agree 100% about the music. It's awful. I had the game muted and listened to the Ollie King OST when I ran this.
Not a walrus
I'm insulted that this took less time to get verified than PoP's training levels. Wink

Congrats.
Balls jerky
Quote:
Classical music on an NES sound chip should never have existed.

but... but... Gyruss??
Fucking Weeaboo
First you create awesome perlers, then awesome speed runs.

What a showoff. Tongue
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Awesome perlers. Awful speedruns.

In all seriousness this run is really good, for what it is. Undecided
from red to blue
awful games done quick.
Haters gonna hate
*points to user title*
Is PJ
*points to user title*
Sandbagging
*points to...PJ's crotch* Congrats Mecha you own that now.
Feudal Family Lord
you...are....the man
Ohh, Captain Comic, great job!
I had played this game so much when I was a kid, but were unable to overcome the colored cubes area; because, like so many people apparently, I didn't realize that the wand had a teleportation function (used when you press the "alt" key)! So I was just staying at the left part of the space station (where you get the "Corkscrew"), making ridiculously high scores by killing approaching ennemies while asking myself what was the stupid detail I couldn't figure out...

Mecha Richter, have you uploaded your run on Youtube, by any chance? I'm really looking forward to seeing it. Smiley
Also, did you consider the possibility to get the crown without getting the lantern first?... We all enjoy crazy things, but perhaps it's definitively too crazy to even think about it (just like the Abyss in Aquaria, for those who know the game)?

One last question: is there any difference between the PC and the Nes versions?
I had planned to run this game in the future, but it would be on DosBox, so it would be unofficial anyway.
from red to blue

I think this is the run.
Haters gonna hate
That's the one.

Arcanod, I did get the crown without the lantern. I used a zip when I first enter the mansion to skip the entire mansion and having to get the lantern. It saves at least 4 minutes.

As far as I know, PC version is pretty much the same, just much slower, so it would be treated as a different category. As for playing on DosBox, you should check for the rules on that because I know doing runs on DosBox hasn't been allowed, but that might've changed since there's no other way to play those older PC games.
This is just a touch off-topic but I think the no-emulators rule has already been broken, anyway, in the case of some Doom and Doom 2 individual level records on this site. Compet-n (formerly the main Doom speedrunning site) allowed runs to be recorded in DosBox (as long as the original executable was used) and I believe the SDA Doom pages were populated with records from Compet-n. Any Doom or Doom 2 IL run recorded after July 22, 2002 (DosBox's initial release, according to Wikipedia) could plausibly have been recorded on an emulator.

More on-topic: I'm cool to see a good run of this. The PC version haunted my childhood.
from red to blue
well, you can play the older games but you have to build the shittiest computer ever with a 6kb processor and 64 bytes of ram, then get the video out into a capture device :v
Edit history:
Fragmaster01: 2011-12-03 07:19:51 am
Fragmaster01: 2011-12-03 07:17:49 am
Wiggle wiggle
The PC version is odd. Better graphics, worse coding, less music(yay), but most importantly, it plays a lot slower and has a much smaller screen area visible. Here's a run through the PC version, if you're bored enough. Same general route, but he doesn't skip the castle at the end:
Edit history:
Lag.Com: 2011-12-03 05:09:40 pm
sda loyalist
Quote from Creaphis:
This is just a touch off-topic but I think the no-emulators rule has already been broken...

Interesting point, but as long as the .dem files produced by those runs sync up in Doom/2 being played on a real dos machine, then they are legitimate runs (unless they've been edited, Doom TASing has existed for a while after all). Also our Doom/2 pages are so outdated it's crazy, so I don't think that's too important. :p

Also lol I played the DOS version years ago. I could never figure out why I would want to play it.
Edit history:
Kabuto: 2012-05-27 09:06:08 am
Kabuto: 2012-05-27 08:53:57 am
Something about the run is puzzling me: at about 4:11 in the run (YouTube video) the music changes and the bullets change from normal to corkscrew although he doesn't have the corkscrew then (he gets it at 4:34) I've actually found an explanation for that on the web, didn't know that (and the sources I consulted first didn't even mention it)

If anyone wants to run the PC version I've written down my discoveries here: http://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/Captain_Comic_%28PC%29 - including a game-breaking glitch :-)