1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/SuperSmashBrosMelee.html

Andrew 'Pokemonmaster888' D.'s Ganondorf and Philippe 'Wak' Brisson's Jigglypuff classic mode very easy runs

Verifier Responses

Jigglypuff run

Quote:
I have verified the Super Smash Bros. Melee run.

It's great! Pretty much everything leading up to the Master Hand fight looks optimized, except MAYBE for the first battle. The Master Hand fight has a few mistakes, but he still finishes in under 20 seconds. The audio crackles a little when Master Hand is flying away, but otherwise the audio/video is great.

Definitely accept this.

I explained to the next verifier that the capture quality is due to the video being a verifier copy and not the final product.

Quote:
Quality (Capture)
Pretty shitty actually. There’s excessive blurriness and the sound sounds like it’s coming out of 35 year old speakers. It’s at its worst when Master Hand dies and he kills opponents.

Quality (Gameplay)
This time around the opponents are random.
And of course, in this game, Jigglypuff’s rest is an instant kill for anyone who touches it. So it’s used to wipe everyone out.
Looking at the times below, you can tell there’s not much else for me to say.

Timing
Vs. Kirby: 1.69 seconds
Vs. Falcon and Falco: 2.27 seconds
Break the Targets: 1.93 seconds
Vs. Yoshi: 0.94 seconds
Vs. Giant Link: 1.01 seconds
Snag the Trophies: 1.16 seconds
Vs. DK: 2.26 seconds
Vs. Team Ness: 8.07 seconds
Race to the Finish: 1.11 seconds (Timer starts at 51.00)
Vs. Metal Fox: 1.27 seconds
Master Hand: 18.03 (Timer starts at 4:59.99)

Overall time: 39.74 seconds

Importance
The reason why this run is so fast when it comes to the timer is because the game lets the runner move for about 1 second before it starts ticking down, allowing him ample time to move into position and attack. The only thing that sucks about this run in terms of gameplay is the Master Hand fight. It’s good that Master Hand did the lasers and other quick attacks, but the runner misses about three attacks and falls off the stage during the beginning slap attack. For that one, I guess it’s better than getting hit. On the other hand, the capture quality of this is so bad that I’m going to recommend rejection if it can’t be fixed somehow. There’s no way, with today’s SDA submission standards, that this should look and sound worse than some of the speedruns from the very Super Smash Bros. Melee game page which has records from over four years ago.

Quote:
There are no major problem with video and audio.
There are no cheating that I noticed.

Gameplay wise, this run is acceptable within SDA standard.  There's only a couple of places where I see rooms for slight improvements.  There is the kirby fight, where the runner could have rested on kirby faster.  Master hand could be a little faster as well.  But everything else was well executed.

Final verdict: accept

Quote:
Jigglypuff Run:

Vs. Kirby:  Had the rest been landed immediately, it would have been sub 1 second.  Time checks out though

Vs. Falco/Falcon:  Time checks out, and fight looks good.

BtT: Time checks, looks great.

Vs. Yoshi: This is more what that Kirby fight should have looked like.  Looks great, and time checks out.

Vs. Giant Link:  Repeat the above.

Trophy Snag:  Again, repeat the above.

Vs. DK:  Perfect, for this stage.  Too bad it wasn't Kongo Jungle instead.  Time checks out.

Vs. Team Ness:  Looks ok.  Time checks out.

Race:  Jigglypuff is faster in the air while attacking than groundspeed running.  Jump and fair as needed (probably twice), then FF bair for the finish.  Lost time is about .5-.75 seconds

Vs. Metal Fox:  Could have jumped and rested in the air.  Probably decided it was too risky this far into the run though, and apparently the runner even acknowledges this fact. Time checks out.

Vs. Master Hand:  Time, as noted in the other run, actually starts at 4:59.99, rather than 5:00.00, so the timing of this fight is actually 18.03.  This does not matter though, because this is the fight I'm basing my rejection of the entire run off of.  The runner falls off the stage very early on, and thus misses an opportunity for a charged Usmash  when Master Hand finishes an attack at about 4:55.36 or so.  This would have allowed a rest in the middle of the combo at around 4:45.50 instead of the completion 3.5 seconds later.  And this does not even factor in the other 3 missed attacks, which probably cost a total of another 2 seconds.

Total Time:  39.74.  I'm thinking we should more have around sub 35 seconds before accepting this on the site.

Ganondorf run:

Quote:
I have verified the Super Smash Bros. Melee Ganondorf Classic Mode run. The audio/video is good, and no cheating.

The run looks great! There's a noticeable mistake in battle 2, but it's not huge and the rest of the run is quite good, finished off with a perfect Master Hand fight. Not necessarily the luckiest combination of matchups/arenas, but he makes the best of it just fine. Overall definitely accept.

Quote:
Ganon run:

Video bounces around quite a bit.  If this is not fixed in the final run, I'm afraid it's probably unacceptable.

Vs. Luigi:  No complaints, time checks out.

Vs. Zelda/YL: Time checks, although I question the method.  Zelda should have been able to be KOed by using a bair, or perhaps even a ff uair after falling off of the main platform, instead of the failed grab.  KO YL afterwards as shown.

BtT:  Time checks, looks good.

Vs. Falco:  I'm thinking a couple of different attacks might have done better.  If you're feeling lucky, you could try to hit with the first, but not the second, hit of the Usmash for a horizontal KO.  Or, you could have, and probably should have, used the Warlock Punch instead due to difference in trajectory.  I'm almost 100% certain you would have had a KO on the side rather than a Star KO.  Again, time checks out.

Vs. Giant Bowser:  Time checks.  I'm thinking a small amount of time could have been saved by making the second attack an aerial down B, due to the lag of Bowser almost not dying, and the force of the Wizard's Foot translated into the speed it would have spiked him at.

Trophy Snag: Time checks out, looks fine.  Like the runner said, maybe .05 faster is possible, but perfect execution is required.  Maybe dash to down B off the edge to FF for the suicide?

Vs. DK:  My favorite fight of the run.  Although technically the Warlock Punch is faster, ever so slightly, than the Volcano Kick, it's still a pretty badass fight.  Mostly because of the taunt.  Also, time checks out.

Vs. Team Fag Ness:  Missing the one Ness with the Uair the second time probably cost a second due to spawnings.  Time checks out.  Too bad you couldn't have done it .03 seconds faster =P

Race:  Time checks out.  For such a short distance, I do believe rolldodging would have actually been faster (2 rolls).  Coupled with the waveland, you might have seen as much as .75 seconds faster.

Vs. Metal Doc:  Again, I think Warlock Punch would have been slightly faster, but not by much at all.  Not reject worthy or anything Smiley  Time checks out.

Vs. Master Hand:  The only way this could have possibly been any better is if Master Hand chose the Laser Beam attack.  Great time, which checks out.

Total time: Checks out at 32.77.  I think this particular set of matchups could have seen just barely sub-30 if 100% optimized, but the runner does a very good job of displaying Ganon's power.  This run is a pretty easy accept, I say.

Quote:
Cheating
During the Team Ness fight, there’s a spot where it seems like he only kills nine of the ten he needs to, yet still completes the fight. I looked at this fight again and again, and realized that the last Ness actually spawns directly over the other one. It was harder to see since they don’t move while falling from their spawn point, and it appeared that only one was kicked to his doom.

Quality (Capture)
Not as bad as the Jigglypuff run, but the picture quality still leaves a bit to be desired.

Quality (Gameplay)
Misses the first grab on Zelda in the second fight, though it is rather neat how they end up dying at the exact same time.
Gets a Star KO for Falco, which costs an extra 2 seconds compared to sending him off the side. It seems this is actually the fastest way to do it for the stage though. It’s obvious from the beginning of the fight that he has a strategy for this stage worked out.
Best Giant fight ever!
Thankfully, the runner kills DK so fast that we only hear two and a half words from that ear-splitting DK rap.
Team Ness is an absolute massacre.
Dr. Mario takes some performance enhancing drugs, and still gets written a prescription for pain.
The Master Hand fight just might be the most impressive Master Hand fight we’ve had of all the Brawl games so far.

Timing
Luigi: 1.12 seconds
Zelda and Shoda Link: 5.46 seconds
Break the targets: 0.19 seconds
Falco: 4.58 seconds
Giant Bowser: 2.41 seconds
Snag the Trophies: 1.44 seconds
DK: 1.93 seconds
Team Ness: 6.69 seconds
Race to the Finish: 1.09 seconds
Metal Dr. Mario: 1.83 seconds
Master Hand: 6.03 seconds

Overall time: 32.77 seconds

Importance
I think the only match that kind of sticks out due to not being as kickass as the rest is the team match, but who you face and where changes all the time, so consistency isn’t very likely. There are many worse stages he could have got, so I think this one (and the fight) is fine. The rest of the run is very good, and I’m seriously impressed by that Master Hand fight. Accept it for sure.

Quote:
There are no cheating or death in this run.
The video and audio quality is alright.

The run itself is done well with little to no mistake.  It seems a large amount of luck manipulation was used to achieve his/her final time.  Aside from getting the right opponent/stage, s/he probably also required the CPU's cooperation on a few occasions.  Given the character and map, I believe s/he has clear each stage very quickly.
The only questionable part is battle two, where he choose to kill zelda first before young link, despite the fact that young link is initially closer to him.  Then again, they died at the same time, so no time is really lost.
I suppose doing a waveland right before the exit of race to the finish would speed it up by a fraction of a second.  But such a small time saver does not worsen the overall quality of this run alone.

Final verdict: accepted.

The last verifier wanted to remain silent, but he accepted both runs and agreed with characters being separate categories.

Decision: Accept

Reason: They're both short, quick runs.
Thread title:  
fucking .gif....
congrats PM...I knew it would pass.

congrats to both runners overall.
Fierce Competitor
Yay it passed! Thanks ShadowJacky. Well, I guess all I have to wait for now is for it to be put onto the site! Great job to you to Wak! I hope you do some more Classic runs in the future or maybe have a go at pyh189's Adventure Mode run. I also wanted to just point out some misconceptions about strategies verifier number 2 had about my run, just so he knows that it was faster than he thought it was. I don't like disagreeing with people, but these things have to be mentioned. Also the video quality seemed fine to me, maybe it was just your player that made it bouncy or something?

Vs. Falco - Although what you may think, Warlock Punch is slower than the Volcano Kick move. It doesn't kill him on the side, so my method was the fastest you could do that I've tested.

Vs. Giant Bowser - Wizard's Foot takes time to execute, so it would've been slower than what I did.

Trophy Snag - See above for Wizard's Foot being slower.

Vs. DK - Again, Warlock Punch is slower. Trust me, I know. I've been doing this for weeks on end and playing for who knows how many years. Tongue

RTTF - I didn't waveland here because I didn't want to risk messing up.

Vs. Metal Dr. Mario - Warlock Punch surely is much weaker here, Volcano Kick is the sure best way to win.

Vs. Master Hand - The laser attack isn't the fastest way, this setup was. Ganondorf can't reach Master Hand with his Up smash when he is doing some of his laser attack, which stinks I guess.

I just wanted to get those things off of my chest, which makes me feel a bit better. Tongue I hope you get the chance to see these tidbits, and thanks for verifying my run. Smiley

Back in the game!
The official name for the utilt is "Volcano Kick," per the SSBM official players guide.
Fierce Competitor
Quote from UltimateDarius:
The official name for the utilt is "Volcano Kick," per the SSBM official players guide.

Interesting. I'll be sure to remember that from now on. I never got the guide or heard the U-Tilt being called that before until now, unless I'm forgetting.
Back in the game!
Trophy Snag: Time checks out, looks fine.  Like the runner said, maybe .05 faster is possible, but perfect execution is required.  Maybe dash to down B off the edge to FF for the suicide?

When I said that, I meant dash to the edge of the platform that you start on and Wizards Foot through the air, to a fast fall off the edge...I think it would be (slightly) faster due to the speed of the attack.
Fierce Competitor

When I said that, I meant dash to the edge of the platform that you start on and Wizards Foot through the air, to a fast fall off the edge...I think it would be (slightly) faster due to the speed of the attack.

Oh, I see now. That is a good idea, so I tested it to be sure. Unfortunately, the Wizard's Foot has just enough length so that when you use it, you go off of the edge with the ending motion of the attack still being shown, which reduces the amount of time you can start fast falling. I tried it from the wall as close as you can be to the platform from which you start, and from other various spots and got 1.78 seconds at best, so I don't think it is faster. Good idea though!
Back in the game!
Quote from Pokemonmaster888:

Oh, I see now. That is a good idea, so I tested it to be sure. Unfortunately, the Wizard's Foot has just enough length so that when you use it, you go off of the edge with the ending motion of the attack still being shown, which reduces the amount of time you can start fast falling. I tried it from the wall as close as you can be to the platform from which you start, and from other various spots and got 1.78 seconds at best, so I don't think it is faster. Good idea though!

Can you do it immediately from the starting position to a waveland off the ledge to a fastfall instead?
Fierce Competitor

Can you do it immediately from the starting position to a waveland off the ledge to a fastfall instead?

Nope. I tried that during my practice of the stage for my run too. Even if you could, dashing right away is almost exactly like a waveland, so it wouldn't make a difference.
(user is banned)

Nope. I tried that during my practice of the stage for my run too. Even if you could, dashing right away is almost exactly like a waveland, so it wouldn't make a difference.

In fact, doing it correctly would have saved some frames, .15 at top.
Fierce Competitor
Quote from Wak:

It doesn't work for me...maybe it is due to version differences?
(user is banned)
Quote from Wak:

You just need to practice.

Fierce Competitor
Quote from Wak:
Quote from Wak:

You just need to practice.

Oh, I thought you were talking about Trophy Snag, not Race to the Finish. UltimateDarius and I were discussing Trophy Snag, not Race to the Finish. Wavelands are old easy stuff of course, you just missed what we were talking about. Wink
(user is banned)
*stops the quote chain*

oh yeah, no the trophy snag strat is maximisex with one exception: You can do a down air right before to die so you die like 1 or 2 frames faster.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
not really, it doesn't matter if you ADA or not  Wink
(user is banned)
You sure?
Back in the game!
Quote from SW-1988:
not really, it doesn't matter if you ADA or not  Wink

I'm pretty sure it does...it would put his feet in the KO zone sooner, thus KOing him.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
yupp I am. Just try it on btt suicide, doesnt matter if you ADA or not, your time will result in 0.10.
I might try to beat that jiggs run btw.... but first I got some other stuff to do. maybe in the end of july =)