Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/SuperSmashBrosBrawl.html

Classic mode easy run as Snake.

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Link -- perfect.
Giant Yossy -- missed once. lost about a second and a half.
Pikachu -- perfect.
Marth & Ike -- rough, but under 10 seconds is alright.
BTT1 -- i actually think Snake's dash attack is faster than his running speed. not sure, though.
Team Kirby -- shouldn't he be using the pause trick to make all three Kirbys show up at once?
Metal Olimar -- okay.
Giant Falcon -- amusing.
Peach and Luigi -- terrible. why wasn't he trying more to throw them to the left?
Gemuo -- perfect.
Team Sonic -- pretty icky. a couple Sonics move out of the way of the up smash. Green Hill isn't a good place for fights like this. and he again didn't use the pause trick.
BTT2 -- perfect.
Stage 11 -- icky. this part is always rough. but while some of the delay was the computer's fault, the player is also at fault at times. he could've been much more agressive with them. and he should never walk, only run. i like the spike at the end, though.
Master Hand -- that dumb mistake at the end cost him 3 seconds.

There are good parts to this run. But there are rather ugly parts too. I'm rejecting it because of those ugly parts. There's at least 7 seconds worth of mistakes. And some of those mistakes are stupid ones, even if they're late in the run. He also failed to use the pause technique even though he was aware of it when this run was made.

Quote:
Hello again Mr. Uyama,

First, no cheating and audio/visual is acceptable.

And, as promised, the Smash Bros. Brawl play by play ~

Stage 1 - Excellent

Stage 2 - Missed first attack, but still a quick kill for a giant character

Stage 3 - Excellent

Stage 4 - Some early fighting, to be expected in a team fight, nice with the double kill

Target test 1 - Quick Fail

Stage 5 - Excellent, the game fed the runner Kirbys with no mischief

Stage 6 - Well done, just too bad the game wasted a little time trying to come back

Stage 7 - Another excellent round, and it was on the other giant character fight

Stage 8 - A little trouble here.  Bad luck with Peach bouncing off the block to survive, but a decent recovery.

Stage 9 - Perfect

Stage 10 - Again, the luck with the game dropping the sonics straight down, except for one.  Quick chin kick to correct that.

Target test 2 - Quick fail again

Stage 11 - Ouch! The runner's luck falls short here.  The enemies all come back a couple times after being knocked back.  Could be improved if the runner had stuck with the forward smash/rocket launcher instead of trying to combo.  Maybe a little panic there.  You can almost hear the runner shouting curses at his TV.

Final - A good fight here, minus a short fall.  But still a good time, lucky with MH doing the lasers to ensure a low time.  Nice to have at the end of a SS.

Overall, well done.  I'm really not liking round 11, although, that is the hardest round of the classic mode.  The opponents here actually fight back and try to stay alive.  More so than the other rounds anyway.  The time lost is definitely more than made up over the course of the run though.  The runner's luck with the opponents and stages given, combined with some really good round times, especially the Giant and Team fights was completed well.  That could be hard to duplicate.  I was a little conflicted at first, but the more I watched and analyzed, and did some playing of my own, I will vote for an ACCEPT.

Quote:
Quality (Capture)
A WMV!? BLASPHMEY! It’ll do for the verifier copy I guess.

Quality (Gameplay)
- The first three fights go alright, and then he runs into trouble on the Ike and Marth fight, losing at least three seconds, but managing to kill them both at the same time.
- For Team Kirby and Team Sonic, now that the pause trick has come light, he might have to use it. Apparently, all that downtime at the start of the fights is the game actually loading all your opponents. Also, the estimate is that you can save 10 seconds during each fight if you use it. I’ll have to test it this weekend, since I have no experience with it.
- He got really lucky during Giant Captain Falcon. Not that the runner didn’t have skill, but that his opponent bounced off the ground-bouncing stage just right.
- That Luigi and Peach fight went kind of badly. He should have just ran up to each one and grab-tossed them off the opposite side of the screen. He did it to Luigi after dinking around with the rocket launcher first. A star KO also works against his time.
- The fight before Master Hand is easily the toughest in a speedrun. The way it’s set up is pretty weird too. You apparently take on three guys at once, but they fight and damage each other too. They’ll unite against you most of the time, but not for all of it. Anyway, as much as I hate to say this, the runner handled it pretty poorly during the second half. The fight starts off really good with him blasting all three at once on two occasions towards the screen edge, but on the third blast, only one guy dies. This wouldn’t normally be a problem, except that he walks into attacks from the other two. He should have kept rocket launchering King Dedede. He also walks towards him instead of running after he gets the item that makes them all small. There is than more sloppiness, the result is him getting owned some more before finally dive rolling Dedede, which is something he should have done right after he missed and was approaching him. He finishes off Samus with that extremely satisfying scissor kick. It would be awesome if he could time it so that as they’re coming back to the stage at different times, he can just keep doing this in succession.
- Master Hand went really well, until the end where he falls completely off the stage and has to fly back on to deliver the final boot. This was pretty avoidable to me.

Timing
Link – 4:57.16 (2.84)
Giant Yoshi - 4:56.60 (3.40)
Pikachu – 4:57.65 (2.35)
Marth and Ike – 4:51.46 (8.54)
Break the Targets – 1:54.05 (5.95)
Team Kirby – 4:41.86 (8.14)
Metal Olimar – 4: 52.40 (7.60)
Giant Captain Falcon – 4:55.55 (4.45)
Luigi and Peach – 4:45.08 (14.92)
Mr. Game and Watch – 4:57.91 (2.09)
Team Sonic – 4:43.23 (6.77)
Break the Targets II - 1:57.11 (2.88)
Pit, Samus, King Dedede – 4:27.31 (32.69)
Master Hand – 4:44.48 (15.52) [118.14]

Overall time:
1:58.14 (I think)

Importance
Even though I’ve pointed out mostly negative stuff, he does have the right idea for almost all the fights. Though the second last fight is the biggest reason I’m going to reject this, I’m more worried about what happens if the run goes up and it turns out the pause trick can actually save nearly 20 seconds - we’ll never hear the end of it. I hope the runner tries again and experiments a bit more for even faster times for the more tricky fights.

Quote:
No cheating I could detect.

Run seemed good.  The Free-for-All stage could have gone better, I suppose.  Master Hand, too, by a bit.

I'm willing to accept.  Sorry about the brevity of the comments, but there's not a whole lot to comment on.  Run went well; that's about it.

Quote:
Verifier: the gameplay is fairly decent
Verifier: speedrunning Classic mode is mainly luck. The only way to improve this run by a significant amount is to manipulate the luck even more, mainly by fighting giant characters instead of teams.

Decision: Reject

Reason: There are a couple of really ugly fights (Peach and Luigi, the last two battles), which is unacceptable for such a short run. Also, the runner didn't use the pause trick even though he knew about it.
Thread title: