List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/SuperSmashBrosBrawl.html

Adam 'No1 Inparticular' Young's 100-man and 10-man brawl runs

Simon 'SW-1988' Wahler's boss battles on easy

Verifier Responses

This is going to be long because there were three runs being verified. Also, the youtube 10-man brawl run verifiers are referring to is this run, which is .18 faster than the run that is going to be posted:

Quote:
The Boss Battles run is pretty damn good. Finally, we get an actual world record...

It's not without it's little issues, though. It would be better to fight Rayquaza as early as possible so his HP is lower. Trying to get the hands later would be a good idea as well. Galleom was icky. Porky seemed a little iffy too. Doesn't Rock Smash in the air do more hits or something like that?

But on the whole, very very nicely done. Accepted.

For the 10 Man Brawl, I don't know what to say. It looks like everything done in this one is the same as in the world record. The fractional loss seems like it's out of the player's control. I can't penalize the player for that. I say accept it.

Quote:
Quality (Capture)
No problems.

Quality (Gameplay)
Uh, it’s an 8 second video. He uses Pikachu, who’s Thunder attack can kill many Alloys at once if aimed correctly. Pikachu is fast too, so short of someone mastering another character’s move that I’m not aware of, I’m sure that’s the right guy for the job.

Timing
The timer reads 7.43 at the end.

Importance
Yes, there’s a video on Youtube showing someone beating this in 7.25 with the same character. Personally, I feel if it’s a .18 second difference, we can let this onto SDA without risk of destruction.

Quote:
Quality (Capture)
Bouncing up and down slightly.
Either the video has a poor crop, or the TV to video game axis aren’t correct, because the bottom bit is cut off a little.

Quality (Gameplay)
Beats the first boss (Master Hand) in 1.20 seconds. Wow.
Manages to kill Meta-Ridley before he can get off the screen to launch his first attack.
Drains half Petey’s cage health before the announcer even has the chance to say “Go!”
Crazy hand gets taken out before he can lift himself too high to hit.
Porky can actually be taken out a tad bit faster. I find he loses slightly more health if you are moving into him while doing the rock smash attack (same with Rayquaza). But whatever, he gets taken out so quickly it doesn’t even matter.
Usually that tail hit from Rayquaza send you flying, but I guess being in the middle of an attack doesn’t allow that to happen. Plus it is on easy. The runner also takes him out before he can move to the other side of the screen.
The runner only takes one big hit from Duon, and it was as he defeated him. I’ve always wondered if it’s faster to simply dodge that first attack, but apparently not since it’s followed up with a moving rock smash.
The runner avoids all damage during Galleom and whoops him good. But there’s one rock smash that doesn’t quite connect the whole way. The runner has to do another one to make up for it.
Nailing all those rock smashes against Ridley was impressive, especially considering how high off the ground he has to be and how the wrong attack could from Ridley could screw the run.
Perhaps the key to this whole thing happens right at the end. Usually Tabuu teleports before the deathblow can be laid, but this is the first time I’ve ever seen someone quick (and lucky) enough to kill him BEFORE he does. This saves at least 6 seconds.

Timing
The timer at the end reads 39.25.

Importance
Holy balls. I feel like I’ve just witnessed something that was so fast I couldn’t appreciate just how lucky and skilled it was unless I watched it 5 times for full effect. Aside from this speedrun being so awesome that it should make all Brawl players fall back out of their chairs, it obviously beats the run up there by 18 seconds and should go onto SDA right now (yeah, I’ve said that a lot lately and you don’t control when games go up, but whenever a new run beats an old run by this much I get anxious).

Quote:
The Boss Battle run was both and impressive and legit. Not much else to say. It was an improvement and I accept it.

As for the 10-man brawl with Pikachu, it IS extremely fast and seems legit, however the YouTube video seems to be miliseconds faster, however with the terrible video quality, it's very hard for me to read the numbers at the top. Boths runs seem legit enough, however, due to the extremely poor quality of the YouTube video, I would reject it for that reason alone. I'll leave this up to the other verifiers I suppose, but I'm accepting the run which was submitted to SDA.

Quote:
Video: Good, but a little bit of the screen in the bottom is gone (could be the verification copy)

Audio: No problem here.

The boss battles runs are getting closer and closer to perfection, where the only thing that hinders them is pure luck. There aren’t any big mistakes in this run (as expected due to the short length of the run), only a few minor. The only one that really is noticeable is on Galleom, where the runner loses around 0.4-0.7 seconds. There is some more time lost on the other bosses (0.3 at most) but that aren’t really worth mentioning, because of the extreme luck you need (although still far from the amount needed in 100 man brawl).

Final verdict: Accepted (even though he left that poor Kyogre trophy at 0:36 83)

Quote:
Video: Good (with lag from pause glitch at 0:06 51)

Audio: Good

Well, the problem with writing a in depth verification for a 10 man run is that the run ends before I’m even able to make myself a nice meal, take a shower and throw rocks at the people that walks past my window… what? It’s not my fault that I’ve watched a lot of RPG runs lately. Ok, back to the run. The run seems to be near perfection, but the problem is that… (dramatic tension)
the Wr is 0.18 seconds faster. So I’m caught between two brick tiles (yes, two brick tiles) while verifying this run. But I think the easiest way to clear this up, is asking the owner of the 7.25 run if he would want to submit it to SDA. If he says “yes” then this would be a reject, and if he says no, I would say accept.

Final verdict: Yes/No (It’s all up to the Spanish guy)

Quote:
Anyways, on to the verification.  Video quality is good throughout, and there is no visible cheating.  So that's good.

As for the run itself, a quick breakdown of the bosses

Master--1.20--optimal
Meta--4.15--pretty much optimal
Petey--2.65--possibly improvable, but I'm not sure
Crazy-1.27--optimal
Porky--5.32--improvable by about ~1s though different strat.  different strat is more difficult, though.
Ray--9.13--also improvable by about ~1.5s, but a lot of that is which attack set Ray chooses (ie, random)
Duon--5.43--My run had 4.62, and I've gotten down to 4.26.  I've never figured out how to get these sorts of times consitently, though.
Galleom--3.47--I nearly always got below 2.8s on this guy.  I think he misplaced the second hit.
Ridley--3.60--Can be improved if Ridley doesn't attack, but that's random
Tabuu--2.42--optimal

The level of luck and skill needed for this run is impressive, and it's definitely should be accepted.  While I point out a lot of improvements, a lot of strats used rely purely on luck (Duon, Tabuu, and Meta have to do the right attack for their strats to come close to working), and even though they are improvable they are still quite good times.  While I think sub-35 should be possible, I'd bet this record will stand for quite a while.

Also, after rereading my comments on my run, I was far too lenient on myself.

The rest of the responses are about the 100-man brawl run.

Quote:
Quality (Capture)
Acceptable.

Quality (Gameplay)
Meta Knight can jump repeatedly in the air and attack, so he’s better than Pikachu after all for this.
There are about 3 lag spots in the video, but because this is a saved replay, that is to be expected. It means the runner paused during the run.
The runner manages to get lucky with an assist trophy and the twins from Wario Ware kill pretty much everyone near the end, when the alloys smarten up a bit.
He gets hit seven times, but it’s not really a big deal, because most of them happen while he’s surrounded and immediately recovers and kills them or during the last part where the alloys get tougher and get killed by the twins anyway. The only real time-costing hit is at the end when the last alloy manages to boot him before being killed.

Timing
The timer reads 1:42.66

Importance
As with most Brawl runs, luck is key, and the assist trophy helps him greatly. Skill obviously comes into play too, and he’s doing it so quickly that keeping up is tricky. This beats an already really impressive record by almost 5 seconds, so yes, I accept it.

Quote:
The run seems legit enough. I've never heard of the pausing/loading trick before, but this isn't cheating, seeing how there was no signs of tampering with the game itself. The assist trophy really made the run fast, but there's no rules against using items. Accepted.

Quote:
There are a few times when the player missed his opponents. Some of them aren't his fault, but some are. One Red Alloy jumps off the stage, creating a bit of a wait. He also got a ceiling kill on Kirby, which is slower.

But thankfully, the runner does a better job than the previous run. Alloys are killed more promptly and aren't left walking around for too long. He got really lucky by getting Kat and Ana. That contributed a lot to the 5 second improvement.

I don't have any problems with this. It's a clear improvement over the previous run. Accepted.

Quote:
Video: Good

Sound: Good

I take my imaginary hat off to you Mr. Runner (I know who you are *point*), for finally passing the 1:45 mark. This run will probably stay the WR for a long time, or until someone gets extremely lucky. Well, what do I mean with lucky? Would someone be able to beat this run with just luck? Sadly yes, due to the extremely random item drops.

I’m still pretty sure that you will be able to go under 1:35 or even below 1:30 (unlikely).
How could you improve such a short run with 10 seconds?
Answer: Groudon, Groudon and finnaly Groudon.
Brawl limits you to three Pokémon (inside or outside the pokéball) on the screen at the same time. This means that if you have three pokéballs, you could theoretically have Groudon’s covering EVERY spawn point, and thus resulting in a theoretical 1.35.

Well, all of this is beside the point because you went below 1:45 without that much luck (except for the assist trophy near the end).

No…*ehm* Mr. Runner, I wish the best of luck with future running, and aim for the next benchmark of 1:40.

Final verdict: Accept (…what did you expect?)

But remember, I still have the fastest non-pausecancelling run =D

Quote:
I can pretty well say that the run has no cheating.  AFAIK it is the current record, and my encode seems to be of good quality.  Thus, as a verifier, I can say to accept the run.

Decision: Accept (all of them)

Reason: The 100-man brawl and boss battles runs are world records, while the 10-man brawl run is very close to being a world record.

To the verifier who said ask the Spanish guy about submitting: I didn't ask him about submitting to SDA, but you're welcome to ask him about submitting his run.
Thread title:  
destroy them with lazers
I hope that spanish guy submits it in the High Quality version hes chosen for his youtube video.
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Quote from mikwuyma:

Quote:
Well, all of this is beside the point because you went below 1:45 without that much luck (except for the assist trophy near the end).

No…*ehm* Mr. Runner, I wish the best of luck with future running, and aim for the next benchmark of 1:40.

Final verdict: Accept (…what did you expect?)

But remember, I still have the fastest non-pausecancelling run =D

I see what you did there.