1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/SuperSmashBros.html

Jeremy 'DK28' Donkey Kong's runs as who else? and a Captain Falcon run.

Verifier Responses

Donkey Kong runs:

Quote:
I think my eyes are still reeling from the Contra III run.  But I could see enough to give both barrels a 'yea' vote.

DK fails at doing the big sexy.

Quote:
Death Abuse run

Video quality is decent
No inconsistancies/no cheating

Link: Perfect (the strategy he used is identical to mine)
Yoshi Team: 1-2 seconds slower than perfect, still a very nice fight
Fox: Very nice! I was hoping it would take 7 seconds and I wasn’t disappointed.
Btt: 2 whole seconds! This is unacceptable Wink (just kidding). Of course it would be cool to actually complete the target test, but that’s slow.
Mario Bros.: Could have been slightly faster, but it’s a bit quicker than even an average speedrun time for this fight. Smiley
Pikachu: Pikacide for the win! Perfect time
DK: DKacide? Heh, if I remember correctly, it was actually a little tough to suicide with Giant DK in your grasp.
BTP: Great, well thought out.
Kirby Team: Wow, very nice! 10 second win
Samus: I think this is 2 seconds slower than perfect, still a great time.
Metal Mario: Easy 3 second win
Race to the finish: Good, lost 1 second I think
Polygon Team: For how difficult this is to speedrun, the was done very well. This could have been a quicker, but still alright play here.
Master Hand: A good fight. I’d say this is the weak point of the run, I think you could have gotten off a few extra hits here and there but it still went well. I’m not quite sure if the strategy you are using was the fastest method, though the smash up A seems to be the strongest move. I was thinking that some L-canceled attacks may work well here, though I haven’t tested this much so I can’t say for sure. I’d still say this fight was very well optimized overall.

The run was very well done. Much better than the previous versions of this run for sure! There’s only a few seconds of mistakes in a few fights, but most of them were actually perfect times. The only complaints I have with this run was the Master Hand and the Polygon Team, both of which are mainly just based on luck, so it was still an excellent playthrough on those. The Polygon Team was kind of rough and I could see some other verifiers possibly rejecting the run because of this fight alone, but I think the fight was still well done because of the luck needed for it.

Big improvement from the oldest version, techniques were thought out and optimized, player put quite a bit of effort into this.

Decision: Accept

Deathless run

Link: 6 seconds…BOO. I mean it’s only a 1 second loss but it’s the first fight, I was expecting it to be perfect. It’s still good though.
Yoshi fight: Very good! I think this is a perfect time, even with some things not going your way you pulled it off.
Fox: 1 second slow, still a fast fight.
Mario Bros.: Pretty nice for a no death run, this is kinda tricky.
Pikachu: Very nice Pikachu tactic without deaths! I like it.
Giant Dk: fast
BTP: good
Kirby: Team Could have been a little faster.
Samus: kinda kicked your butt a bit. Not a bad fight, just an OK fight.
RTF: could have been slightly faster.
Polygon Team: Wow, that was nearly flawless. That was a very lucky fight. That definitely made up for some of the small mistakes earlier.
Master Hand: Looks pretty optimized.

Decision: Accept

Quote:
Death Abuse

Quality (Capture)
The usual N64 stuff.

Quality (Gameplay)
Some of the fights are the same because of the simple patterns, but all of those that are harder, like Team Kirby and Samus, have improved.

Timing
Link: 5 seconds
Team Yoshi: 17 seconds
Fox: 7 seconds
Break the Targets: 2 seconds
Mario Bros.: 8 seconds
Pikachu: 3 seconds
Giant DK: 4 seconds
Board the Platforms: 12 seconds
Team Kirby: 10 seconds
Samus: 10 seconds
Metal Mario: 3 seconds
Race to the Finish: 26 seconds
Team Polygon: 39 seconds
Master Hand: 35 seconds

Overall time: 3:01

Importance
Holy monkey tits, it’s about time this game went this well. Aside from getting a better Master Hand fight and a few less Star KOs on the Polygon fight (which he gets even though he tosses them off the side), this game is finally SDA worthy.
But please, please make him rewrite the TAS comment under the Kirby part of these comments. It’s just setting himself (and us) up for trouble. I’ve seen videos of people doing it faster Non-TAS, so I think he needs to avoid embarrassment.

Non-Death Abuse

Quality (Capture)
Same as prior statement.

Quality (Gameplay)
Ness chooses to hit Giant DK during the fight, knocking him out of the runner’s grasp.
Samus Kirby shoots him during their fight.
Samus gives him a little more trouble in this fight than the death abuse run, but it’s only an extra second worth.
During the Polygon fight, a bumper becomes available. I don’t know how useful it would have been in the fight, but the way he was going, I don’t think it would have been much faster at all.
Master Hand does his usual Master Hand stuff by doing the long attacks.
I’ve only pointed out the mistakes because everything else has either been discussed in the past, or fixed.

Timing
Link: 6 seconds
Team Yoshi: 16 seconds
Fox: 8 seconds
Break the Targets: 2 seconds
Mario Bros.: 11 seconds
Pikachu: 5 seconds
Giant DK: 6 seconds
Board the Platforms: 12 seconds
Team Kirby: 13 seconds
Samus: 11 seconds
Metal Mario: 6 seconds
Race to the Finish: 25 seconds
Team Polygon: 32 seconds
Master Hand: 36 seconds

Overall time: 3:09

Importance
Well, it’s only 8 seconds slower than the death abuse run, and 17 seconds faster than the run already up on SDA, so it’s an accept. Unlike last time though, I’m not just accepting these two because I have to.
And I know he’s happy, but I think he needs to redo his comments for this one. Again, they’re setting him up for a big face plant… onto some spiky rocks… with some poison ivy on them.

Quote:
Verifier: hey mike, i have some speedrun verification info for you.
Verifier: first, the two N64 smash bros runs
Verifier: they are both improvements obviously, but pretty much the exact same thing we've seen already with optimization. The problem I have with the two runs is that if you combine the best times of each stage between the two runs, they could both me decreased by another 15 seconds. On the stages that there is no death abuse like Team Kirby, the no death and death abuse runs are 3 seconds apart.
me: okay
Verifier: Although they are improvements, the runner should consider this because he has the potential to further decrease his times.

Quote:
There is no point in hiding the fact that I am Ultimate Darius anymore, so here we go with this review...

Key: (=)-time was the same as the old run.
    (+x) time was x seconds slower than the old run.
    (-x) time was x seconds faster than the old run.

Death Abuse run:

Link: Perfect! 5 sec. (-1)

Yoshi: 17 seconds, looks great!  Still not perfect, but damn good. Last time was 21 seconds. (-4)

Fox:  Perfect! 7 seconds. (-2)

BtT:  Same ol' same ol' 2 seconds (=)

Mario Bros: 8 seconds.  Too bad Luigi wouldn't cooperate for that 6 second fight Sad (-1)

Pikachu: Perfect, as usual.  3 seconds  (=)

Giant DK:  Perfect, 4 seconds once again (=)

BtP:  12 second suicide.  I think it's perfect?  (-1)

Kirby Team:  Holy shit dude!  This IS TAS quality, for spawning luck anyway...but I'll bet they could have pulled off 9 seconds Wink  10 seconds.  (-2)

Samus:  10 seconds.  While not perfect, MUCH better than than it has been in the past. (-1)

Metal Mario:  Once again, a perfect 3 seconds.  (=)

R2F:  Both drops to where the polygons are located should have been fast falled L cancelled dairs to prevent from being attacked.  26 seconds  (=)

Polygons: Probably one of my only complaints of the entire run this time.  And that's simply that you did not check the capsule and/or crate when you had a second.  It could have been something very useful.  The capsule would not have cost you any time.  39 seconds  (+1)

Master Hand: No gun this time, lucky you.  I could tell you were getting nervous here, you did up tilts and a jumped uair instead of usmashes a few times.  The attacks you were hit by are ones you don't want to be hit by, and the ones you dodged/blocked are the ones where it's ok to hit him and recover and hit him some more without any time loss.  35 seconds. (-4)

Total: 3:01

You saved 15 seconds total.  The polygon fight is probably what cost you your sub-3 run,
although a lucky bros fight or master hand fight could have done that also.  I personally blame your lack of capsule checking, and/or your willingness to get slapped in the face by Master Hand.  The improvement itself is so severe from your previous submission merely a month ago, that I wanted to catch you cheating.  I ran the numbers on this run, very meticulously and painstakingly, and I could not find anything amiss.  The only thing wrong with it is the audio was slighly desynchronized, but that could have just been my PC (and it was actually the reason I ran the scorecheck, because if you did splice things, I'm thinking it could have screwed up your audio).  All things aside, this is a pretty incredible run, and I have to grudgingly accept this onto SDA as it clearly obsoletes the previous submissions.  However, know that I still am trying to get sub-3 deathless on the back burner, and if you want to keep your title, you'd better keep at it Wink  Good job!

Non Death Abuse Run

Link:  Your new plan of attack cost you a second.  If your execution is right on point, you can spike him out of his up B without any time loss.  6 seconds (=)

Yoshi: You scored the triple S!  Sexy 16 Seconds.  (-4)

Fox: One away from perfect. I don't like this strat, simply because "it doesn't look cool."  In regards to speed though, good job.  8 seconds (=)

BtT: Lol punch.  2 seconds (=)

Mario Bros: You should have used my suggestion with the up B strat. You saw my video, and I told you that it's a 8-10 seconds at very slowest, with a possible lucky 6.  Instead you get 11. (-1)

Pikachu:  Very nice, one second away from a perfect fight, but this looks much more reliable.  5 seconds. (-1)

Giant DK:  Don't you just love my strategies?  6 seconds (-8)

BtP:  Zzz...zzz...zzz...12 seconds (=)

Kirby:  About average.  13 seconds (-1)

Samus:  I always hate your Samus fights Sad  Due to resistance, 11 seconds instead of 7-8.  (-3)

Metal Mario: Seriously.  Grab him.  Walk off the platform on top.  Jump and fall below the stage, throw, watch him bair you and die in 4 seconds.  You got 6. (+1)

R2F: Damn Poluigi.  25 seconds. How the hell did you get faster than last time?  (-1)

Polygon: I think you should have utilized your bumper.  You could have done your up B, KOed some polygons, landed on the platform facing right, grabbed and thrown it at your feet, catapulting you back below the right side of the left platform.  Techroll and back to the carnage, whilst not having to worry about covering the right side as well because the bumper would have KOed anything that landed there. This would have placed your focus on the left and top platforms, and could have resulted in a sub-30 second fight.  Still, a massive improvement compared with last time. 32 seconds. (-6)

Master Hand: I didn't like it.  You fail to attempt to damage him when he does the punch from the background, when a dair easily saps some HP each time.  A couple of misses smashes, but at least there was no gun.  36 seconds (+7)

Total: 3:09

Can I reject this?  I said that I "probably would accept sub 3:10," and this just barely makes the cut.  I don't feel that this one is as well-optimized as your other one, and there is room for improvement still even there.  Yet, this run is an improvment of 17 seconds, and your other run is already hosted.  While I will accept it, just know that I still think you can do better, and if you don't, it pisses me off enough to make me want to do something about it.  If I have to submit a DK run, I'll make sure to lock my name in as the titleholder.

Verdict:  Accept both.

Captain Falcon run:

Quote:
Quality (Capture)
No problems with this copy.

Quality (Gameplay)
Link goes as he usually does.
That Yoshi fight got off to a bad start, fortunately he destroys them for the rest of it.
Totally awesome Fox strategy.
I love how it takes him not even 2 seconds to kill himself in Break the Targets.
I think at least 5 seconds could be saved on the Mario Bros. fight had Luigi died like he was supposed to with the downkick.
That was a well-timed kick for Pikachu's recovery. But I question why the runner damages him so much when all it seems that needs to be done is to do is boot him off the side, let him fall downwards, and ledge hog. He also loses 5 seconds when Pikachu survives what is supposed to be a fatal attack combo. Also, the runner gets owned by an oversized Porygon during the first few seconds of the fight.
That Giant DK fight was going so well until the end, where he looses two seconds because DK falls off before he can deliver the final blow.
I think the Kirby fight needs a bit of work, even though he manages to kill two at once at one point. The first one takes a bit too long to kill. The Samus one shoots him out of the air, but he bounces back with a falcon punch and seems to kill two Kirbys with one Falcon, but the Samus one survives and causes more of the same trouble again.
Best. Samus. Ownage. Ever.
Metal Mario just does not want to stay the hell off that platform, and there are some missed attacks. I foresee at least 3-4 more seconds being saved here.
Race to the Finish is pretty much flawless.
Ooooooh, that Polygon fight could definitely use more work. It actually makes the run look pretty bad. The falcon kick seems to be the only thing that can kill them with one hit, but the runner needs to practice it more because they dodge them quite a bit. He almost falls off the stage a few times. The bumpers also could have been put to slightly better use.
The Master Hand fight went okay. It could have used maybe one or two less attacks.
Holy shit, that bonus Mario Bros. fight he included was king.

Timing
Link: 5 seconds
Team Yoshi: 23 seconds
Fox: 7 seconds
Break the Targets: 1 second
Mario Bros.: 17 seconds
Pikachu: 12 seconds
Giant DK: 11 seconds
Board the Platforms: 3 seconds
Team Kirby: 22 seconds
Samus: 6 seconds
Metal Mario: 14 seconds
Race to the Finish: 18 seconds
Team Polygon: 58 seconds
Master Hand: 38 seconds

Overall time: 3 minutes 55 seconds

Importance
Although this runner displays great promise, there are some fights here that need to be improved upon before this can go on to SDA, especially after all the stuff that happened with the last few DK runs. I know there are many advantages and disadvantages over using certain characters, especially for specific fights. DK suffers from a long Board the Platforms stage and a slow Race to the Finish, while Captain Falcon apparently has only one move to kill the Polygons. That’s just the way it is though, as part of the speedrunning process is overcoming these differences. Although the Mario Bros. fight is such a damn wildcard that I’m not even sure what the standard time should be for any character. Though I’m rejecting this, this runner should definitely show us his moves again, with improvements for Pikachu, Team Kirby, Metal Mario, Fighting Team Polygon. I think the first three just suffered from bad luck, but that last one will take lots of practice.

Quote:
Smash Bros Verification -

The King of Speed, Captain Falcon

Link - Perfect. 5 seconds

Yoshis - Runs under the first Yoshi instead of attacking? A couple of mis-manuevers. 23 seconds.  Could reasonably take off 3-4 more seconds.

Fox - Nice juggling, excellent. 7 seconds

BTT - That was a loooong second, nice. 1 second

Mario Bros - Some trouble with Luigi not cooperating and a missed punch cost some time, about 4 seconds. 17 seconds

Pikachu - Ouch! Polygon with the tackle. And Pikachu doesn't die from the PUNCH, but nice down smash to stop the teleport. Might have considered restarting here. 12 seconds

Giant DK - Some bad luck here with DK deciding to drop from the penthouse suite early causing a missed punch. Recovery with the second punch landing. 11 seconds

BTP - Very creative.  3 seconds

Kirbys - A lot of trouble with samus/kirby costing the sub 20.  22 seconds

Samus - That was hot. Really hot. Makes you want to make love to him even though he's a man, hot. 6 seconds

Metal Mario - He just doesn't want to get down, jumps back up on the platform twice. Nice roundhouse kick to the mouth though. 14 seconds

Race - Well done. 18 seconds

Polygons - Ouch again. 5 missed kicks and a self inflicted bumper wound.  Also a few missed opportunities to hit a two for one. Fight could definitely be closer to 50 sec. 58 seconds

Master Hand - Fight starts good. Goes downhill from bad luck with the second gun attack. He's at 98 health which is just enough to trigger the triple shot wasting even more time. Possible to get about 5 more seconds off. 38 seconds

All in all, I was originally on the fence.  But upon further review, there are some costly mistakes. It really hits the fan at Pikachu. Running into Polygon should have triggered a reset, especially after he recovered from the Falcon PUNCH.  The Samus/Kirby debacle was the second big time sucker. And the Polygon Team had numerous slip ups.  There are other little things littered here and there like the Bros, Giant DK and Metal Mario, but there is always some human error, so I'm focusing on the big stuff.  I can see 30-35 seconds that can still be knocked off.  So even though that Samus fight was an awesome, straight-up bitch slap, unfortunately, I have to reject.  Sad

There was one verifier who said he wasn't too sure how to judge, but he thought the good outweighed the bad.

Decision: Accept and Reject

Reason: The DK runs are both improvements, but the Falcon run has some really bad luck and costly execution errors.

The Captain Falcon run is available upon request until July 1st, PM me.
Thread title:  
Back in the game!
I would have rejected it too.  Glad to see that some of you verifiers have become men  Smiley

Also, anyone who can try to offer any help on the Polygon fight (i.e. help me figure out something more consistant than Falcon Kick, Bumper, and Koffing/Blastoise) I would appreciate it very much!

At this verifier: 
Quote:
Yoshi fight: Very good! I think this is a perfect time, even with some things not going your way you pulled it off.

I pulled off a 13 second Yoshi fight yesterday while trying to obsolete this set of runs with DK.  I think 12 would be the maximum possible?
UltimateDarius asked me to upload the run since there's been some interest in it and it's no longer available for download anywhere. 

So here it is: http://www.filefront.com/14461421/SSBFalconVE_LQ.mp4