--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/SuperSmashBros.html

Jeremy 'DK28' Doll's run with deaths and deathless run

Quote:
Verifier: hey mike, finished verifying the super smash bros. speedruns. I timed the death abuse run at 3minutes 17sec and the non-death run at 3minutes 45sec.
Verifier: the only problem i have is that the timer isn't very reliable because it will round down a lot of seconds off of the time
Verifier: hey mike, did you get my reply about the super smash bros. 64 speedruns?
me: you just mentioned the times it seems
Verifier: you never responded so i assumed you were busy
Verifier: but anyway, both the runs were well done. the audio and video for both videos is decent, and nothing seems out of place

Quote:
I accept both barrels.  Nice FPT battle on both ends (lol at the polygon that got nailed right after picking up the hammer in the no DA run).  Nominate DK upside down in SC after defeating Pikachu in the no DA run for one of the screenshots.

BTW, Stone Cold Steve Austin called, he wants his gimmick back! (referring to DA run's time)

Quote:
Death Abuse run:

Key: (=)-time was the same as the old run.
    (+x) time was x seconds slower than the old run.
    (-x) time was x seconds faster than the old run.

Link: 1 second error, easily avoidable and should have otherwise been redone. 6 sec. (=)

Yoshi: Likely should have used up B on the last Yoshis.  If your best is 15, I would like to see around 18 seconds  21 seconds. (-2)

Fox:  Still a bit slow.  Can be done in 7 relatively easily.  Grab fox and go for a suicide after the second throw.  Walk off the edge, but he'll wiggle out before you could possibly die.  9 seconds. (-2)

BtT:  good stuff. 2 seconds (=)

Mario Bros: 9 seconds.  Would still like to see this faster (=)

Pikachu: Perfect 3 seconds  (=)

Giant DK:  MUCH better.  4 seconds. (-2)

BtP:  As always, this part sucks, but it's unavoidable.  13 seconds  (=)

Kirby Team:  Nice work.  12 seconds.  (-1)

Samus:  The improvement we've all been waiting for?  11 seconds  It would appear as though the acid drop is unnecessary.You prove in your subsequent no death abuse run that Samus can be giant punch KOed from 40% on the left from the right side of the stage. Giant punch takes about 3 seconds to charge, so you should be able to finish her within 7-8. (-5)

Metal Mario:  Perfect 3 seconds.  (=)

R2F:  Both drops to where the polygons are located should have been
      fast falled L cancelled D-airs to prevent from being attacked.  26 seconds  (=)

Polygons:  I think a "perfect" time here would be right around 30 seconds.  Luck aside,
you probably could have gone around 34 seconds without a mislanded up B and failing to KO
more than one a couple of times.  38 seconds  (+1)

Master Hand: Should have at least tried for the f-air when he did the gun.  Also, take this opportunity to charge your giant punch.  Allowing yourself to get hit by the right to left slap would have saved you about a second or two, if you attacked him while getting hit, then teched upon landing.  39 seconds. (=)

Total: 3:16

Much better overall, but I sadly have to reject this yet again.  I need to see sub 20 Yoshi, a sub 10 samus, and a really good master hand fight (35 seconds or less) to accept this run.  We should see a total of less than 3:10 in order for me to accept this.

Non Death Abuse Run

Link:  Perfect.  5 seconds

Yoshi:  2 failed grabs, followed by a one-yoshi KO up B.  Yet so close...  21 seconds

Fox: 9 seconds

BtT: 2 seconds

Mario Bros: Nothing spectacular either direction.  12 seconds.

Pikachu:  7 seconds and a pause...  possible in 3-4, using the death abuse strat. Wait about half a second after you put pikachu on your back, then do what you did in the death abuse run.  He'll wriggle out to his death while you live, very easy.  Sometimes you'll have to jump and up B him, which takes 7 seconds anyway, but this way you allow yourself a chance for it to be faster.

Giant DK:  10 seconds, very impressive. For a non-cheap KO.  Try this: Jump up to where DK is, while attacking with a nair.  Grab him, and carry.  Jump off to the right, and throw right before he wiggles out of your grip, double jump up B for a 7 second fight.  (very hard to do here, not a determining factor).

BtP:  The usual grueling, unavoidable stuff, only in 12 seconds this time

Kirby:  Samukirby cost a second, Yoshirby cost another, nothing too major, considering the final result.  13 seconds.

Samus:  What the fucking hell do you call THAT fight?  I'm beginning to wonder whether you were dropping acid for this run.  Run rejected right here. [/rant]  18 seconds.

Metal Mario: You can walk off the edge and throw him to KO him in 4-5 seconds.  But lol anyway, chain throwing is fun.  14 seconds.

R2F: Ouch.  27 seconds

Polygon: Slower than average fight.  40 seconds

Master Hand: 35 seconds.  Lots of missed opportunities this time around, and still your best.  I've personally done a 30 second, with average around 32.

Total: 3:45

I can't accept this.  The Samus and Metal Mario both have to come down considerably.  I probably would not accept a run slower than 3:15 in this category, unfortunately.

Quote:
Death abuse run

Quality (Capture)
Nothing out of the ordinary for an N64 game to report.

Quality (Gameplay)
He uses a few new strategies to beat down the opponents. Since this run is so short, the big mistakes he makes in this run is against Master Hand when it moves away from him a few times and against Samus because he can never seem to use a concrete strategy against her. She still goes much better than last time.

Timing
Link: 6 seconds
Team Yoshi: 21 seconds
Break the Targets: 2 seconds
Mario Bros.: 9 seconds
Pikachu: 3 seconds
Giant DK: 4 seconds
Board the platforms: 13 seconds
Team Kirby: 12 seconds
Samus: 11 seconds
Metal Mario: 3 seconds
Race to the Finish: 26 seconds
Team Polygon: 38 seconds
Master Hand: 39 seconds

Overall time: 3 minutes 16 seconds

Importance
The only fight that went slower was Fighting Team Polygon, and that was by one second. The rest were either the same time or faster. The Samus fight has improved quite a bit and that’s god. Not much else to say except that it beats the old run, so it should go on SDA.

Yeah, I screwed up last time and got overexcited at something I shouldn’t have. I’m not going to let that happen ever again, so let this be the brighter part of my redemption:

Non Death-Abuse run

Quality (Capture)
Same as above.

Quality (Gameplay)
- Accidentally pauses during the end of the Pikachu fight.
- His Giant DK strategy was pretty good for not using death abuse.
- Team Kirby gets some hits in on him.
- The Samus fight is UGLY. He can beat her in 11 seconds but it takes him 18 because she fights back in the worst possible ways.
- His Metal Mario damage racking is neat, but I’m still not sure if that’s the fastest way to do it, judging from other strategies I’ve seen.
- Gets bombed by the explosives during Race to the Finish.
- Even though Master Hand hits him a few times, he launches his faster attacks and the ones that keep him within striking distance, so the runner is able to finish him off 4 seconds faster than in the other run.

Timing
Link: 5 seconds
Team Yoshi: 21 seconds
Break the Targets: 2 seconds
Mario Bros.: 12 seconds
Pikachu: 7 seconds
Giant DK: 10 seconds
Board the Platforms: 12 seconds
Team Kirby: 13 seconds
Samus: 18 seconds
Metal Mario: 14 seconds
Race to the Finish: 27 seconds
Team Polygon: 40 seconds
Master Hand: 35 seconds.

Overall time: 3 minutes 45 seconds 

Importance
Though there are some good fights, there are a bunch of other things that undo the time he gains. I’m pretty sure there are alternate strategies that can make some of these fights go faster. If DK uses the grab the guy and walk off the stage move, can’t he jump up before the opponent gets free from his grasp and still win? I’m actually going to reject this based on the Samus fight alone. A fight like that has no place in a run this short.

Decision: Accept and Reject

Reason: The run with deaths is an improvement, so it's an easy accept, but the deathless run has a terrible Samus fight, which is unacceptable in a run this short.
Thread title: