List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Jeremy 'DK28' Doll's segmented circuit run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Verifier: But if I can't do that (reject based on category being in between IL and SS), then I'm going to tentatively accept it because i know there are better strategies on several fights, but I'm unsure of their realtime difficulty

Quote:
EPIC FAIL AGAINST BEAR HUGGER FOR NOT GETTING SUB-17 SECS!

Bald Bull - Why he was demoted from the Major circuit to the Minor.

Rest is self-expanatory.  Accepts across the board.

Quote:
Just a few questions and nitpicking for the runner before I make the final verdict:

Firstly, my main comparison is the latest TAS of the game (http://tasvideos.org/1067M.html) and since it's been years since I played this game I can't remember all of the details.

Bear Hugger: Tas strat saves 5 in-game seconds, viable in real time? Runner has a punch blocked, forces double head smash, continues until stunned, then ends the fight. TAS stuns quicker with normal punches (requires a second knockdown though).

Dragon Chan: possible uppercut instead of 2 hooks for 2nd takedown? Does it matter?

Aran Ryan: Any possible way to make him stay down the second time or does he need to be TKO?
What does the Tas do different that could make a diff?
TAS: 2L(L), 2H(RL), Ryan dodges, 2H(L), 1L(L), Ryan stunned, Hook to knockdown
    Hook, grab him, Hook end of fight
Runner: 4H(LLRR), Ryan dodges, 4H(L), Ryan stunned, Uppercut for takedown
  1H(RC), Ryan stunned, Hook, grab him, Hook for takedown
  HL TKO
Does the punch sequence matter or just luck?

Heiki Kagero: Possible to match TAS strat (counter punch, Uppercut, uppercut, hook) or will they miss? (second round)

Mad Clown: Any chance to counter his backhand with Uppercut? If so, will he get knocked down?

Super Macho Man:
TAS:  3H(LLRc), 2L(L), 1H(Rc), 1L(L), Hook, stunned, Hook to takedown
  Hook, 1L(Lc), Hook to takedown and stays down
Runner:  2H(LRc), 2L(L), 1H(Rc), 2L(L), 1L(Lc), Hook, stunned, Hook to takedown
  1L(Lc), Hook, dodge, 1H(L), Hook to takedown
  1H(L), Hook to TKO
Again, do the exact punches matter? Can he be made to stay down after 2nd?

Nick Bruiser: Really good fight, but is there any way to get him to stay down after the 2nd? TAS uses two Uppercut to drop him, possible in real time or extreme luck needed? Again, does the punch sequence matter? TAS uses hook to drop first time, 2 Uppercut to drop second. Runner uses Uppercut to drop first time, and (Punch+Uppercut)x2 to knock down 2nd.

Most of those are just my shorthand notes while comparing each fight, so hopefully they're not too confusing.

Runner's response:

Quote:
Here you go Mike -
First off, there is a lot in the TAS that can't be done in real play, for obvious reasons.  Every strat I use, is what I have found the be the quickest, most reliable, humanly possible patterns.  Also bearing in mind that I completed several dozen attempts on each individual fighter before getting this whole thing done.  Having said that, here are the specific responses.

Bear Hugger - The blocked punch was on purpose to trigger the overhead attack, dodge and then finish the combo to get him dizzy.  The TAS has the overhead attack as well, just in a different spot.  The TAS is also frame perfect on the stomach blows.  Too early while playing real time will make him dodge instead, this accounts for some of the time difference.

Dragon Chan - I've landed the super uppercut instead of the hook after the healing meditation and it still didn't knock him down.

Aran Ryan - Doing the same pattern as the TAS, he always takes three knockdowns.  The two knockdown is TAS only.  The pattern I use is just easier to pull off.  Maybe two knockdowns could happen by luck?  But it never happened once for me.

Heiki Kagero - Super punches are too slow in real time to do the TAS pattern.  He will hit you if you try the second super hit during the second knockdown pattern.

Mad Clown - You could counter the backhand, but with the remaining health he has, it would still require going until after the next punch to knock him down again.  I counter, then super punch to ensure the next counter punch knocks him down instead of having to waste the time with another super punch.  And I'll also take this moment to say once again that Mad Clown SUCKS!

Super Macho Man - Same as Aran Ryan.  I could never get him to stay down on the second knockdown.  Either severe luck needed or this is just TAS.

Nick Bruiser - Doing the second knockdown KO can be done, but that would be something to see on an IL run.  This is the hardest thing to accomplish and takes the rarest of luck.  I did over sixty time attacks on him to try this and not once did it succeed.  He will normally dodge or punch you out of it.  It's literally 100% luck based.  But I did stick it out until I got the uber lucky third knockdown pattern.  Grin

While I agree this verifier made some good observations compared to the TAS, I still submit, with full confidence, that these fights are top notch for human play.

Verifier's response

Quote:
Verifier: Okay, my final verdict for the Super Punch Out run is.................(wait for it)..................accept
Verifier: he destroys all the opponents, in fact makes em look easy
Verifier: sucks that the TAS strats don't work on a few of the fights, but ya can't always get extreme luck
Verifier: so yeah, very good run, gonna be a tough one to beat

Decision: Accept

Reason: Congrats on the first Punch-Out run Mr. Donkey Kong Doll.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
sinister1: 2009-09-07 11:02:37 pm
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Way to go DK28, can't wait to see this!

EDIT: What was the final time on this run?
We all scream for Eyes Cream
In the words of Gabby Jay.

"Yeay"
Edit history:
DK28: 2009-09-08 04:35:52 pm
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Quote from mikwuyma:
Decision: Accept

Reason: Congrats on the first Punch-Out run Mr. Donkey Kong Doll.

Thank you Mr. That Red Teenage Mutant Mega Contra Slug Zero guy Uyama.  Grin

Quote from sinister1:
What was the final time on this run?

Thanks Sinister1
Not sure off the top of my head.  I'd have to watch it again and add up the rounds.

Quote from Axel Ryman:
In the words of Gabby Jay.

"Yeay"

Damn straight.  Wink

Thank you to the verifiers as well for a speedy response.
[+--oo] In control since '86
Fuck!  Literally, in a tab directly next to the SDA forums on my browser I have a mostly completed verification response!  I was planning on finishing it when I woke up this morning, lo and behold!, the run's already been accepted!  Damn my thorough testing!

Quote:
Comments for Super Punch-Out!!

Video / Audio Quality:
Streamlined video and well-synched audio.  No signs of tampering, editing, or modification in any of the four segments.

Cheating:
Legitimate play throughout.

Gameplay:
The game is begun with all bouts & circuits pre-completed.  All the strategies have been tested, and most of the times are easily duplicated.

[Missing individual fighter comments, but it would have included not using the pause/power gauge boost against Gabby Jay and a lack of a sub-17 second fight against Bear Hugger]

Overall:
This is great work that is marred only by bad luck.  The only section that stands out negatively are the first two fighters in the Special Circuit; the runner's two best times against them are almost a full ten seconds better than what we see here.  While they look a tad ugly, he makes up for his bad luck by nailing very impressive times against the final two opponents.

If there was any single reason to reject the run, it would have been because of the Special Circuit.  However, the overall run is very impressive and showcases some great strategies that are necessary to complete the game quickly.  Highly enjoyable to watch.

Verdit:
Accept

Tongue

Great work, DK28!  Congratulations on a speedy run acceptance!  And I'll totally back up your responses to the verifier that made specific fighter comments.  A lot of the TAS tactics have to be thrown out the window when it comes to real-time playing.  It's important to have reliable strategy, but sometimes luck will work against you.  Too bad about the Masked Muscle/Mad Clown/Narcis Prince/Hoy Quarlow fights, but again, great stuff with the Bruiser Bros!

...But if I may, I was still extremely disappointed when the run was broken into segments.  Your work was great, but...  while the fights are technically broken into four circuits, I dunno, the spirit of the game dictates it was made for either individual fights or for a single session.  I don't want to rain on your parade or start being negative towards you personally, but...  well, submitting this segmented run kind of makes me feel like you gave up on your original goal for a single session.  So I was disheartened. 

Regardless, I'm glad the run is up.  I hope one day you'll do us all proud and revisit this game once more for a single session attempt.

Good luck on your next project!
Thanks SkratMan.  Yeah, I think the one fight I was bummed with was Quarlow.  He takes massive luck and superior timing.  I had some great fights against him, just not in the submitted attempt.  But the time I saved on the Bruiser Bros heavily outweighed my other attempts that had good Quarlow fights.

Thank you for the support.

Also, everybody should be able to look forward to some more audio commentary from me for this one.  Cheesy
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
F YEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH, this run is awesome. Anyone who watches it needs to get the audio commentary it is hilarious. Great job DK28.
"Look at the death grip on that cane! This old man refuses to let go of his wood!"
May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce!
Yeah, the audio commentary was humorous and clever enough that it could have been scripted. No stuttering or anything, either. Good stuff.
Thank you Sinister1, Carcinogen and OnyxShadow.  I'm happy the commentary is a hit, as well as the run.

OnyxShadow: Thanks, let's just say I had a few takes before sending in the commentary.  Wink  The first time sounded pretty crappy.
Edit history:
Croc-Doc: 2009-12-11 11:48:05 am
Hi
I just watched this run for the first time today.  Very nice.  I wish I could remember my strats from 14-15 years ago (man, I feel old) to challenge your run. Tongue  I used to play this game nonstop back then.

Edit: I added up my times for each fight and came up with 3'03"76  Tongue
Quote from Croc-Doc:
I just watched this run for the first time today.  Very nice.  I wish I could remember my strats from 14-15 years ago (man, I feel old) to challenge your run. Tongue  I used to play this game nonstop back then.

Edit: I added up my times for each fight and came up with 3'03"76  Tongue

Thank you very much Croc-Doc.  And I know exactly what you mean, I didn't seriously play this game again until I was doing the run.  And some of the times I had on my old file from when I was a teenager were up to par with a lot of what I did in the run.
Hi
And we didn't have the fancy internet in those days to help us out, dagnabbit.
Quote from Croc-Doc:
And we didn't have the fancy internet in those days to help us out, dagnabbit.

LOL.  Excellent point.  And we also had to play the game while walking in the snow, barefoot, uphill both ways.

Still though, tempting to maybe do an IL table.....
Hi
What are your best IL times, DK28?
Looking at around 3:07.  Could trim that down with the 2nd knockdown KO on Nick Bruiser and a couple other improvements.  Definitely sub 3 minutes would be ideal for an IL table.
DK28 this run was a joy to watch and your audio commentary brought a smile to my ears. Only Joe Rogan could have done a better job and that's only because he shrieks.
Thank you Liger.  Smiley  Definitely the most entertaining commentary I've made. 

I'm still planning a SS as I do marathon practice, so I'll have to see what I can come up with.
I'm on my way to a segmented time trial Minor Circuit. Have a chance for that category may exist ? Huh?
Willing to teach you the impossible
Only 3 categories for this game. Single segment (full game), Segmented (all circuits recorded on different attempts), and IL (single fights)
Single fight, good to me.
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Quote from NidokingFTW:
Single fight, good to me.

Be aware that there's already an IL table being submitted from this topic: http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/super_punch_out__september_21st_2011.html

If you can beat any of the IL times from this topic, then you can submit just those fights since the IL table will already be complete (usually need to make sure the first submission has every fight). Make sure your video quality is acceptable before starting attempts though. Good luck!
Thanks but i think luck don't have place here Smiley
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Quote from NidokingFTW:
Thanks but i think luck don't have place here Smiley

Well, depending on which ILs you're going to tackle... yes luck has a significant place here Tongue
Willing to teach you the impossible
I welcome you to "Team Punch Out" if you can crack your way into one of the ILs