1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Expert Single Segment run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
BABY! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Video - Looks good to me.
Audio - Sounds good to me.
Cheating - I kinda want to believe that there is, considering how insane this run looks. But no...no signs of cheating.

There were a few hiccups here and there, maybe costing a few seconds. These are already noted by the runner.

I really liked that the runner didn't slow down and take it careful towards the end of the runner. Good execution.

RTA: Start, 0:11; End: 16:17. Total RTA: 16:08.

In-game (based on IL times added up):

E1-10: 50.36
E11-20: 59.32
E21-30: 78.73
E31-40: 65.88
E41-50: 49.86
EX1-10: 66.37
M1-10: 77.29
Total: 447.81, or in MM:SS.xx format, 7:27.81

Looks pretty dang good to me. So...

ACCEPT!

Quote:
I'm glad to see that Miles finally got this thing completed.  I remember when he was first planning parts of it a few years ago.  Honestly, I figured he'd never get back to it.  As someone who used to play this game quite a bit, it's really enjoyable to see the game played with such precision, control and consistency.

Video Quality: Looks perfect to me
Audio: Nothing wrong here
Cheating: If being this good at video games isn't cheating then I don't spot any here, but if it is then I recommend Miles be banned from SDA this instant.

I'll go through this quickly by 10 level sections.

Character Selection - I'd like to dock points for choosing Baby (yeah Miles, you know who this is)

E1-E10 - Great start to the run with 8 very well executed strategies.  I loved the inclusion of the E6 shortcut, although I imagine that this ended many runs before they even had a chance to start.  E7 was especially fast for a single segment run.

E11-E20 - Nice clean execution through these 10 stages with the exception of the first real visible mistake on E13.

E21-E30 - Once again, everything is well done here.  E22 had a semi-unlucky bounce which hurt a little.  I thought the E24 run was very fast.  E29 strategy is fluky and was a nice risky inclusion in the run.

E31-E40 - I thought the E32 run was great.  Attempting either of the shortcuts would be insanely low %.  This was done very fast.  Tiny hiccup at the goal on E33 by rubbing against the left post.  E34 had a great bounce from the cylinders right to the goal platform.  Another very impressive set of levels.

E41-E50 - E42 strategy is harder than it looks.  I thought you were unlucky on E48 by not getting a gimmick off of the goal platform ledge.  I loved the inclusion of the E50 strategy.  It saves some nice time and looks awesome too.

EX1-EX10 - Not too much to say here.  He made these 10 stages look incredibly easy, especially the shortcuts of EX5 and EX6.  I thought EX9 was well done.  I never liked the ending part and was glad to see it done so quickly.

M1-M10 - M3 just showed how great the runner is at this game.  Couldn't believe he saved a no death run after the ramp started off extremely shaky.  It was an unbelievable recovery and finish.  M5 and M8 strategies were a thing of beauty.  M9 was incredibly risky and clutch at the same time.  Finishing off M10 without dying under this pressure was a win in my book.

Overall, this is about as easy of an ACCEPT as I can imagine.  I never thought someone could skillfully play through Expert, Expert Extra and Master so quickly without losing a single life. 

Final time was 7:27.81 (by adding up each individual level time).  Congratulations Miles on such an awesome run.

Quote:
Video and Audio look fine by youtube standards. No cheating sensed, and everything's consistent, so no problems there. Timing is pretty straightforward, and in-game time is easy to calculate, so I'll refrain from adding that up since it's already been done.

E6 - That strat looks very hard to get consistently, but like miles said, it saves a ton of time. It's good that it's early in the run, to ensure that he gets it in this final run.
E7 - I'm very impressed with how quickly and smoothly he took the narrow paths!
E9 - Tough stage to practically skip
E13 - The only visible mistake so far, and it's a bit ugly, but considering what he went through the previous stages...
E20 - Could you possibly use a bumper to get the speed you need earlier to jump off the stage?
E22 - That backwards bounce doesn't look as bad as the mistake in E13, and for all we care, it's practically luck. At least he didn't die.
E24 - Good, he took the consistent shortcut. Smooth stage.
E25 - Very nice bounces!
E27 - As he said in the comments, making it across the bridge went a bit too well so he overshot, but he reacted quickly enough to minimize lost time, and it wasn't really that much slower
E29 - This level is a pain to do the shortcut in as it pretty much IS random... Glad he made it!
E34 - This one looks simple, but that bounce is really hard to get. Very nice!
E39 - WOW
E42 - Shocked
E48 - I don't think it's possible to just skip going around consistently... is it? The mini-skip at the end could've gone better, but I'm sure it's faster than going around still
E50 - Shocked
EX3 - He could've saved about 7-8 seconds if he went for the goal earlier, but understandably he went for the more consistent strat.
EX6 - Shocked
EX10 - He didn't go for the hammer-jump into the goal, and save more than 10 seconds! REJECT!!! Just kidding
M3 - O_O close call
M5 - That just looked beautiful and so smooth. Wow.
M7 - As he said, he could've dropped off at the beginning and shaved another 10 seconds, but that would be insane considering how close to the end it is
M9 - oh. my. god. you pulled it off. Congratulations.

Overall, there was an excellent balance of risk vs. consistency. There were definitely more risky strats in the beginning stages (most notably, E1-10ish), and he could've shaved off almost half a minute for more risky strats in the extra and master levels; however, that would be insanity, considering all the precision gameplay he had to go through beforehand.

Besides the lack of some later risky strats, there was only really one mistake that stood out, which was in E13. Otherwise, yeah, probably about 4-5 total seconds could've been taken off from the notable mistakes I saw.

But enough of the bad, the rest of the run was really amazing. It is incredibly difficult to land those tricks in a game as precise as super monkey ball. An even more testament to his skill, was how much pressure and stress he must've been in by the time he reached the Master Levels, yet executed his strats without cracking to that overwhelming stress. And... NO DEATHS!!! I'm glad to have watched this run, and I don't see it being beaten in the near future.

Easily ACCEPT. Now speed run super monkey ball 2.

Quote:
Video and audio: very good.
Cheating: none found. I've personally played this game some for high scores and generally know what's possible.

I'll try not to repeat the runner too much, as his comments are already quite informative and thorough.

Oh yeah, one other thing: the monkeys all have the same physics, but smaller monkeys may make it easier to see the stage and see where the center of the ball is.  So if there's a strategic reason why the runner chose Baby, then it's probably one or both of those.

E6 - makes it look easy, but bouncing through the squares like this is not easy at all.
E7 - the wiggling at the beginning allows him to get up the uphill slope faster.  This can also be seen in E2 earlier.  This level is the bane of pretty much any beginner to this game, but after getting good enough at the game it becomes a fairly consistent stage.
E9 - this is probably a "why didn't I think of that?!" moment for a lot of people, but not all is as easy as it seems.  Getting good bounces off of little corners like that can be really hard.
E11 - really pinpoint movement.
E13 - I'm guessing he turned a bit too early before the corner bounce, resulting in the bounce going lower and more to the right than planned.  Only 1-2 seconds lost though.
E14 - very impressive pinpoint movement again.
E19 - yeah, this level is silly - it's possible to keep getting bounced up to the goal, but there's so many bumps to hit that it's complete chaos and luck really.
E20 - huh, that's weird and neat that this strat is consistent.
E21 - even got a bit of uphill-slope-wiggling near the end.
E22 - really impressive start, but somewhat unfortunate high bounce off the E.  Recovered well though, the G bounce was fine and the A bounced him straight to the goal.  This stage is another bane for beginners (and occasionally for experts as well).
E25 - insane!
E27 - charging right through this can be pretty chaotic, nice that it went so well.
E29 - I've seen how that bump at the end of the conveyor can be an absolute troll (by, well, not bumping you up), and the problem is that it saves so much time over doing the level normally.  Great that there were no problems this time though.
E32 - Yeah, I've never gotten the shortcut to the goal before... I'm not surprised that it's not SS material.  Anyway, good run, fast thin path at the end.
E33 - Small goal mistake, maybe half a second as the runner said.  It's kind of crazy that it's one of the most notable mistakes so far though.
E34 - Simple level, but as usual, the bouncing tends to vary.  Went great here.
E35 - That could've been bad at the goal, but fortunately went through.
E36 - the pass of the first bumper looks awesome.  Yeah, potentially a couple more bumpers can be skipped, but it takes pretty pinpoint timing.  Best to just stick with the first skip, where you can rely on your muscle memory for the first second of the stage.  And the bouncing-on-bumpers strat is definitely out of the question.
E42 - not an easy skip, I remember even having trouble with it on an individual-level basis.
E46 - I love how the bounce and roll on the last ring lines him up perfectly for the goal.
E48 - A good bounce to the goal could save 1-2 seconds I guess.  As always, it's not easy to get jumps and bounces exactly how you want them.  More small shortcuts can be done, but they can be pretty unforgiving and don't save much time.
E50 - EPIC Expert finish!
EX1 - Yeah, a fast bounce to the moving platforms is possible, but it's not easy and I could see the pressure mounting here.  No-death Expert is not to be taken for granted.
EX5 - This takes pretty pinpoint timing.  There's a safer strategy that involves going around to the right side of the level, but it's obviously slower.
EX6 - The tube bounce looks so awesome.
EX7 - Yeah, those orange connectors can sometimes bounce you - this run is almost never as simple as it looks.
EX9 - Not an uncommon strat here, but this level's pretty notorious for being a bit inconsistent no matter how you do it.  It can be the bane of people trying to unlock Master.

No deaths going into Master!  This is of course a speed run, not a play point run, but no deaths run is obviously much cooler and a little faster than the alternative.  Can he clutch it out?

M3 - now that the runner mentions it, that ramp... I dunno if I've seen anyone survive it without going perfectly straight.  Wow.  And even if it's not that hard (how?), the leap of faith to the twisty vine still looks awesome, especially this late in the run.
M7 - I don't think I've ever made the immediate jump into the goal, so I'll have to agree with it not being in an SS, even if it'd save like 12 seconds.
M8 - I thought this strat was actually pretty darn picky.  Yay for muscle memory though!
M9 - I know this stage caused a lot of trouble for the runner, so it's awesome that he finally showed this stage who's boss... in a no-death run, no less!  The last jump in particular is really nasty, but it saves a lot of time; you have to go REALLY slowly along those string-thin paths if you do it normally.  Not only that, doing it normally isn't the most consistent thing either.
M10 - And he clutches it out!

This is probably one of the least improvable runs I've seen.  The runner goes all-out in nearly every stage, and goes through 65 stages without a single death.  Not more than 5 stages have (reasonable) improvements that can be measured in seconds; the rest are mainly measured in frames.  As icing on the cake, some less consistent timesavers like E50 and EX6 were hit as well.  This is not only a no-death run with hard strategies, but it's a fast run with very few mistakes; a run with any deaths at all would have to be godlike to beat this.

There are definitely some large shortcuts that were skipped, like in E32, E36, E45, and M7, but pretty much all of them are very difficult even on an individual-level basis, and pretty infeasible for an SS.

The runner's extensive background in the game (and Monkey Ball series) also means that he has thorough knowledge of strategies and speedrunning technique, and it's not likely that we'll see significant strategy improvements for a long time, if ever.  Similarly, I currently can't see anyone topping this run except for the runner himself (and even then I have doubts, since the runner seems pretty fed up with SSing this game Tongue ).

Decision: ACCEPT

Quote:
Video, audio and cheating all good. Erm... that is, no cheating.

E6: Wow this was ballsy. Probably something the runner wouldn't have done if the level was later on.
E7: Very fast overall, especially the ending curves. A very tough stage for such an early appearance. Well, for any normal player that is.
E14: Insane. To even do this in a practice run is insane.
E21: A lot tougher than the runner makes this look. This level will kill you after you finally learned to beat E7.
E22: Random level trolled the runner a little but still finished very quickly.
E25: This looks really risky. And fast.
E27: SAY WHAT? Again really ballsy but it paid off big time.
E29: Whoever came up with this strategy is a beast. I never thought any major skip was possible in this level.
E36: The runner ain't playing around. Even takes the risk to skip the first bumper in exchange for a second or two. Nice!
E48: Nice shortcut here.
EX6: Sick bounce saves a good amount of time.
EX10: I don't understand why the runner didn't just jump into the goal earlier... *mumbles* Oh wait - this isn't Wii. My bad!
M3: Not even eight seconds to beat the hardest level in the game - very impressive!
M9: I have no idea how this is... wow. Nerves of steel or just rampaging adrenaline? Either way this is just ridiculous to pull off at this stage of the run.

I must say I was pretty bananas in this game when it was released and some yearish later, and I know it's one of the toughest games out there. I could play up to M3 without dying but beating Master without dying is a completely different matter. A deathless run this fast is completely insane and I dare say this might become the most impressive run at SDA, and one that they should be very proud of having. Honestly whenever I think of SMB high-scores I think of packattack, but I knew that Miles was right up there and that he could beast this game single-segmented, although this was over my expectations. Really well done, and like the previous runners said I doubt this will ever get beaten.

Accept. Now let's see if you got what it takes to tackle Beginner...

Quote:
Video quality is great, sound is good.

Very impressive run overall, I have raced/speedrun monkeyball a lot (and it is one of my favorite games) so to see something of this calibur is amazing (although I don't buy that a run of this quality can be done without the runner enjoying himself on some level). I am glad that the run
was done without deaths, because then I would have to reject it since I don't think accidental deaths have a place on SDA (which is why my SMB2 run stays on YT), but anyway...

ACCEPT!

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Charles Griffin!
Thread title:  
Well, wow, I certainly didn't expect this to get so many verifiers, since the previous run only got 3 and one of them couldn't verify again. >_> Thanks a lot for all of your accepts!

For anyone who wants to see it, I have it uploaded on YouTube:

Quote from Verifier 1:
BABY! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Cheesy

Quote from Baby hater:
Character Selection - I'd like to dock points for choosing Baby (yeah Miles, you know who this is)

Sad

Quote:
Cheating: If being this good at video games isn't cheating then I don't spot any here, but if it is then I recommend Miles be banned from SDA this instant.

Technically I should've been banned near the end of February, but... <_<

Quote from Verifier 3:
E20 - Could you possibly use a bumper to get the speed you need earlier to jump off the stage?

If you can, I doubt it'd be anywhere near consistent.

Quote:
E48 - I don't think it's possible to just skip going around consistently... is it?

Yeah, it's not consistent at all.

Quote:
EX3 - He could've saved about 7-8 seconds if he went for the goal earlier

The WR is only about 4 seconds faster. Still a decent amount of time if you could somehow pull that off...

Quote from yoshifan?:
Oh yeah, one other thing: the monkeys all have the same physics, but smaller monkeys may make it easier to see the stage and see where the center of the ball is.  So if there's a strategic reason why the runner chose Baby, then it's probably one or both of those.

Nah, it's just because Baby is awesome.

Quote:
E9 - this is probably a "why didn't I think of that?!" moment for a lot of people, but not all is as easy as it seems.  Getting good bounces off of little corners like that can be really hard.

The issue on E9 is more not getting randomly bounced up before then. :\

Quote:
E35 - That could've been bad at the goal, but fortunately went through.

Wouldn't have been the first time that happened...

Quote:
EX9 - Not an uncommon strat here, but this level's pretty notorious for being a bit inconsistent no matter how you do it.  It can be the bane of people trying to unlock Master.

That "come to a standstill between the last two tiles and then just hold forward the entire time" strat is pretty consistent. >_>

Quote from Verifier 5:
E6: Wow this was ballsy. Probably something the runner wouldn't have done if the level was later on.

I think I probably would have risked it. And hated myself for it.

Quote from thundrio:
I am glad that the run was done without deaths, because then I would have to reject it since I don't think accidental deaths have a place on SDA

But 36 second M9s do have a place on a speedrunning site?

Quote:
(which is why my SMB2 run stays on YT)

...That run had 10 deaths. Not the best comparison.

Quote from Verifier 3:
Now speed run super monkey ball 2.

Quote from Verifier 5:
Now let's see if you got what it takes to tackle Beginner...

I hate you. Sad
Gets the cake.
Glad this finally got verified so I can say this:

Holy. Shit. This is the single greatest display of video-game expertise I've ever witnessed. You, sir, are a god of Monkey Ball.

Now that I've got that out, finish your MP1 run please >_>
That YouTube video has a tiny fraction of the number of views that it should have.

Congrats on the accept!
Fucking Weeaboo
Did you eat a pizza while running Master 9?
Weegee Time
That.  Was.  INTENSE.

And now I await the highest quality encode of this run.
Is PJ
This run made me cease to breathe for the entire duration of the video.  Everybody, go watch it right now.
Congratulations Miles!  (And yes, I was verifier 4.)

If a dictionary had an entry for "The God Run", it would probably link to this run.
Everybody DANCE!
Thanks a lot.  Now I can never submit a run of any game to this site because it will never be this awesome.

Seriously, though, that was ridiculously entertaining.  Congratulations!
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Holy God...
Edit history:
Asteron: 2012-08-19 05:52:50 pm
I've always found Super Monkey Ball runs to be amazing demonstrations.  I've played the game myself a decent amount and know how easy it is to fall off so I've always kinda assumed most of these strats required dozens of attempts each. 

This run totally shocked me.  I've seen some of these strategies before but I could never have imagined them being pulled off in a no-death single segment run.  Just wow: E50, M3, M4.
Edit history:
kirbymastah: 2012-08-19 10:37:25 pm
<(^_^)>
Congrats Miles on the run! It was amazing through and through, and I enjoyed every second of it! Now get your butt on working on your awesome MP1 and MP2 runs Tongue
F*ckin' sanity effects...
Really incredible.  Thank you and congratulations!
wise fwom yo gwave
One of my favorite runs on the site! Please please please do smb2!
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Holy God.... 

@ Uilnslcoap: Nice pic.  Smiley  Where'd you find it?