Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Expert SS run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Level (Time remaining/time elapsed)

E1 (28.26/1.74): May seem picky, but this is honestly a pretty slow start; you should get at least .28 almost every time, and .30 more often than not. It's only a few frames though.
E2 (23.00/7.00): This can be done about three seconds faster pretty easily.
E5 (27.13/2.87): Fine.
E6 (40.60/19.40): The stage can be done over 10 seconds faster; it's somewhat difficult, but this is the fourth stage in the run. :\ There's no reason not to do this strat.
E7 (36.11/23.89): A bit slow. You can turn around and shortcut across at the beginning to save some time but it's annoying.
E8 (26.31/3.69): Fine.
E9 (43.30/16.70): ...Why did he do this level normally??? You can shortcut straight to the goal area pretty easily, which saves over 10 seconds.
E10 (26.65/3.35): Fine.
E11 (18.43/11.57): Okay. Could have been a bit faster.
E12 (46.15/13.85): Why did he go against the gears here? :\ That cost him a few seconds.
E13 (55.28/4.72): Well, that was bad. Getting across cleanly is incredibly easy.
E14 (52.68/7.32): Pretty slow getting through the last set of bumpers.
E15 (28.20/1.80): Getting above 28.30 is really easy.
E16 (27.41/2.59): You can fall off the side and get a low 27.6x/high 27.5x every time.
E17 (22.60/7.40): Fine.
E18 (20.88/9.12): A bit slow here.
E19 (55.68/4.32): It's possible to keep bouncing straight up to the goal, but this stage is stupid.
E20 (27.61/2.39): Fine.
E21 (55.90/4.10): A tiny bit slow here; I can get above 56.00 almost every time.
E22 (50.80/9.20): He slowed down a lot while crossing the letters, and not going straight for the goal once reaching the center of the A cost some time.
E23 (25.65/4.35): Getting mid-to-high 26.xx is very easy.
E24 (26.75/33.25): You can bounce against the path when taking the shortcut, which saves some time.
E25 (16.05/13.95): ...This was incredibly slow. You can easily get over 23.00 here.
E26 (24.63/5.37): He should have fallen off to the side of the first platform instead of at the front.
E27 (47.06/12.94): Doing it normally like this is way to slow... You can quickly skip across the path instead. Admittedly it's kind of hard; but this is a speedrun, you should be taking some risks. (and even if you were to die once it would still be faster than this run's completion)
E28 (55.48/4.52): It's faster to fall off earlier and bounce along the track into the goal.
E29 (53.08/6.92): Fine.
E30 (57.31/2.69): Fine.
E31 (26.25/3.75): It's possible to bounce off the side of the second platform straight to the goal platform, though it can be kind of annoying; at the very least he shouldn't have backed up at the beginning before crossing to the second platform.
E32 (34.13/25.87): You can shortcut to the goal and skip the thin wires at the end, but it's really stupid. His navigation of the wires was really slow, though, and cost a decent amount of time.
E33 (24.86/5.14): He should have taken a lower (and shorter) path here. That combined with trouble getting into the goal cost him about a second.
E34 (25.46/4.54): Don't know why he took his time so much with crossing the barrels. :\
E35 (55.63/4.37): Kind of slow.
E36 (15.06/14.94): You can cut in front of the first bumper, which saves about 1.5 seconds.
E37 (26.48/3.52): Uh... Why did he slow down after getting bounced up? Anyway, there's a really really easy strat that gets 27.13 almost every time.
E38 (22.91/7.09): He could have been about .2-.3 quicker getting into the goal.
E39 (24.51/5.49): He should've kept going to the third platform instead of stopping on the second.
E40 (26.88/3.12): After falling off the platform he should have let go of the control stick; spinning around slowed his descent.
E41 (26.51/3.49): You can bounce off the side of the bowl straight into the goal instead of going all the way around.
E42 (58.18/1.82): lol at the pausing. Pretty ironic. It does seem to work pretty well here though.
E45 (14.70/15.30): He should have gotten a running start for the second set of rotating platforms.
E46 (17.95/12.05): Really slow here. I can get 3-4 seconds faster almost every time. :\
E48 (14.73/15.27): There's a couple of places you can cut across the track. They can be somewhat annoying, but at least one of them should be done.
E49 (27.71/2.29): 28.3x is incredibly easy.
E50 (20.35/9.65): You can get bounced up into the goal, though it can be difficult. I probably wouldn't have gone for it.
EX1 (21.73/8.27): You can shortcut to the platforms while they're at the left at the beginning, and save a cycle, though it's kind of hard.
EX2 (24.40/5.60): There's a better path he could have taken that saves around a second.
EX3 (21.50/8.50): It's possible to run at the goal sooner, which saves about 3 seconds.
EX4 (25.70/4.30): No clue why he bounces on a second Ferris Wheel platform instead of going straight for the goal.
EX5 (19.63/10.37): Okay, this was really bad. He attempts a pausing strat, fails it, then goes for a much slower alternative... When that pausing strat isn't even the fastest method in the first place.
EX6 (21.18/8.82): You can bounce off the top of the pipe straight to the goal. Plus it looks completely awesome.
EX7 (19.66/10.34): Pretty slow crossing the stage. He was lucky to have made it in time at all, for that matter...
EX8 (25.15/4.85): Well, you can shortcut across the V to the goal, but screw this stage.
EX9 (18.65/11.35): He should have skipped some of the platforms instead of bouncing on every single one.
EX10 (16.00/14.00): He should have gotten a running start before the last piece was knocked away.
M1 (40.80/19.20): Well, since he's already attempted some pause strats, if you pause at 56.40 then hold forward you'll complete the stage with 43.01 remaining every time. It is a 1 frame window though. Even without it this was a bit slow, you should be getting above 41 every time (preferably close to 41.50).
M2 (41.86/18.14): Why did he do this normally? Dropping straight to the bottom is really easy.
M3 (36.43/23.57): ...
M4 (46.45/13.55): He slowed down a ton at the end, though it's understandable considering the roll likes to randomly pop you into the air if you're going too fast.
M5 (55.35/4.65): You can move through the blocks instead of dodging them to the side, which would save about a second.
M6 (58.53/1.47): You should get over 58.60 every time here...
M7 (42.78/17.22): It's possible to fall straight into the goal at the beginning, but that's way too difficult and definitely not end-of-a-SS material. The ending could be over a second faster, though, by bouncing off the wall into the goal.
M8 (56.53/3.47): You can get hit by some of the poles into the goal, but it doesn't seem to be as consistent as I remember it... There must be some trick to it that I've forgotten about. :\
M9 (24.65/35.35): Okay, that was horrendous. You should not be taking the wires that slowly in a speedrun. For the sake of comparison, my old 9999 PP run finished this stage about 2 1/2 seconds slower, when A. I didn't shortcut the beginning, which would have saved around 14 seconds, and B. I wasn't aiming for speed.
M10 (49.46/10.54): And he misses the goal and loses a bunch of time; certainly not the best way to cap off the run. :\

Was this run done during a race? It would certainly explain some of the strats and the execution. It does not excuse them, however; SDA is not the place for runs that are built around one-shot-run strats. :\ Another thing I noticed is that there were a lot of places boosting (holding up-left/up-right at the beginning of the stage) should have been used but wasn't; this is such a basic trick, and honestly makes it appear that not much effort went into researching tricks and strats.

Also, a few years back I was planning on doing a run of this myself (though I lost interest pretty quickly). My goal with the strats I planned to use was around 7:15-7:30; this run's time is 10:12.27, almost three minutes slower. Three minutes is a ton when the time is this short.

So I'm going to have to REJECT this run. Tons of strats are very easily (and sometimes massively) improvable, and the execution was just slow in general.

Edit: I don't know if the replies below will be included in the topic, so I'll just add this to my post:

Quote from Me:
Quote from Verifier:
What I meant was that you are being a bit nitpicky on a few stages (the ones where under .3 seconds can be saved). I'm not saying those strats shouldn't be adopted, I'm saying they shouldn't play a large factor in the decision of accepting/rejecting (maybe they didn't for you).

The point is, there's a lot of stages where there's really no reason at all for not being half a second to a second faster. And yeah, that alone likely wouldn't get a reject; it's that along with the large improvements possible on E6 (10-12 seconds), E9 (10 seconds), E25 (7 seconds), E27 (8 seconds), EX5 (7 seconds), M2 (13 seconds), M3 (17-18 seconds), M9 (If you do the second shortcut, nearly half a minute! But at the very least it shouldn't be 12 seconds slower than a not-speedrun on the final wires), and M10 (7 seconds), as well as decent improvements (2-5 seconds) on E2, E12, E32, E46, EX3, EX6, and EX7. There's about 15 stages I consider "acceptable" (no very easy/large improvements); 23% of a run being "acceptable" isn't good. :\

Quote:
Above verifier seems a bit nitpicky with a few of the stages (does 2-4 hundredths of a second wasted in the first stage really matter when there is 18 minutes of a run?), although I agree with most of his individual level comments.

On to the run itself. To get it out of the way first, the audio/video is perfectly fine. There's a lot of small improvements (although some can be annoying, such as on 29 where whether you bounce or not can seem to be purely luck based), and a variety of large ones (varying in difficulty). The only strategy that completely surprised me was how M2 was done normally, because I jumped off the edge the first time I got to master (although that might be because of my mindset as a Monkeyball 2 main, where jumping into goals is commonplace).

Although this can be improved easily, I am going to ACCEPT this run. The game has been featured at an SDA marathon, and deserves to be on SDA, so while Cosmo's run may be slow, it is devoid of deaths and is a good starting place for the future. As far as I know Cosmo is the only person with a recorded speedrun of master (that has no deaths), and so he has not had much competition, which is the best way to improve a metagame (example being how the record for SM64 120 star has improved by over 15 minutes over the last 12 months because of how many people compete for RTA's/SRL).

Quote from Verifier 1:
9:09.33 run

This was... not good at all (13 deaths. >_> Maybe I should have practiced the Master stages some beforehand...), but due to using a ton of better strats it still beat the runner's time by 1:02.94.

Where Verifier 1 put 9:09:33, that was a link to a YouTube video of a run of his with that time. I'll let him post it if he wants to share it.

Quote from Verifier 3:
honestly, with Verifier 1 beating the run by a minute+ with 13 deaths, i can see reject as well. i know verifier 1 has very high standards and i don't fault him one bit for being "picky" or whatever you want to say. some of the strats he showed i didnt even know about lol. i still say accept because of the deathless aspect + for the most part being a fairly smooth run. but, im sure if rejected, cosmo will put effort towards a faster run. or maybe not Evil

Quote from Verifier 2:
I agree with everything Verifier 3 said in his last post.

Decision: Reject

Reason: Too many possible improvements to make.

This run will be available for a month. PM me for a link.
Thread title:  
Main Work!!!
My question there is why isn't miles doing the run, he's performing incredibly hard strats very reliably.
Edit history:
Sonikkustar: 2012-01-24 07:15:29 pm
The Great Farming Empire
I've never heard of a run faster than 18 minutes. So it's quite suprising to me that 9 minutes is even possible. O_o
Main Work!!!
Quote from Sonikkustar:
Because he is mostly busy with Metroid Prime now afaik.

Also, i've never heard of a run faster than 18 minutes. So it's quite suprising to me that 9 minutes is even possible. O_o

I didn't know that, but I'm also pretty surprised about a 9 minutes run. What time is Cosmo average BTW?
Edit history:
Miles: 2012-01-24 07:16:45 pm
9:09 is using the in-game timer while 18 minutes is using real time (It's about 10:12 in-game).
Quote from Flip:
As far as I know Cosmo is the only person with a recorded speedrun of master (that has no deaths), and so he has not had much competition

Pretty sure Miles easily could compete with that. Cosmo has done great at the marathons though, keep up the good work.
Timing using game time seems rather silly if it doesn't count deaths.. my run is faster in realtime. Oh well
They're not penalized as much as when you're using real-time, yes, but to say they don't count at all is just wrong.
I guess I meant to say it is misleading to say a run is a minute faster when you put them side by side and mine wins
Edit history:
Miles: 2012-01-24 10:26:45 pm
You're submitting to a site that uses the in-game timer, so that's what matters.

Edit: And even going by real-time: I got 18 seconds off. After spending a day on it. With 13 deaths. Come on.
It'd be cooler if you spent another day on it and beat it :] that way it becomes like actual healthy competition instead of like.. a video made to try to block mine from going up lol. I suppose this kind of goes back to the problem of the length of time it takes to put the runs up on the site, which means short term improvements don't really matter and instead I should wait until the God Run

which is kind of the reason there's no Monkey Ball page on the site yet.
Claimh Happy
Miles, we would all love it if you took ridiculous skill and crushed this game. You clearly know more about running this game and are more consistent at the most difficult methods than anyone else on this site (and due to the nature of scoreboards for Monkey Ball, I wouldn't be surprised if you were better than everyone). If you ever complete a run to your standards, it would be absolutely amazing.

Also, to clear up a slight misunderstanding, even if a game has an in-game timer (which I personally don't even think would/should be used for this game, because you have control over the game in between levels), things like deaths which may not normally be included by the game timer would be added in manually, since they were a part of the run.
Edit history:
Miles: 2012-01-24 10:53:23 pm
Maybe I'll come back to this eventually, though there's several other runs I'd like to work on first... Possibly once I'm done with them. It'd be great if Cosmo could take the strats I pointed out and produce a better run himself though.

Quote:
because you have control over the game in between levels

I don't think "pressing/holding A to skip/speed up cutscenes" is really that important...

Quote:
things like deaths which may not normally be included by the game timer would be added in manually, since they were a part of the run.

Well, the in-game timer is just "add up the time gotten on each level", so you would add the time on deaths as well (i.e. if you die at 53.00, that's 7 seconds added to the time).

And yeah, I do agree that the update rate is a serious problem. This run was especially bad, though; verification actually completely finished other than the decision 3 months ago. I have absolutely no idea why it took this long to post. :\

Edit: If people really want I can go do a run with a better real-time... I'd really rather focus on other games though. <_<
Is PJ
Miles, do a run please.  ^_^
Edit history:
Aftermath: 2012-01-24 11:07:14 pm
Quits halfway
Quote from PJ:
Quote from Aftermath:
Quote from PJ:
Edit history:
thundrio: 2012-01-24 11:07:46 pm
#speedrunslive to race games!!!
Miles should definitely do an run. It shouldn't be too hard for him.
It's time for some HEErooooOOOOHi cs!
Quote from Paraxade:
Quote from Aftermath:
Quote from PJ:

No but really, it'd be awesome like holy crap.
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2012-01-24 11:28:23 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Okay at first I was really mad this was rejected because I thought Cosmo's run was the super best ever. Then I saw Miles's videos and I went Shocked Shocked Shocked

Now I'm really mad Miles hasn't done a run. Angry

Quote from UltraJMan:
Quote from Paraxade:
Quote from Aftermath:
Quote from PJ:

This x100, I should ban Miles from everything ever if he doesn't do a run within a month, because fuck prime we have 10 runs of that. We need one run of Super Monkey Ball, the true SMB (it shares the title with Super Meat Boy).

EDIT: The even crazier part is that Miles does retries in his videos to show consistency. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Edit history:
yoshifan: 2012-01-24 11:38:27 pm
yoshifan: 2012-01-24 11:36:56 pm
Way to come out of the woodwork there, Miles... Tongue

I saw Cosmo's run on YouTube (at least I think it's the same one); I was personally quite impressed because it might be the fastest (or one of the fastest) no death runs out there.  No deaths, period, is not an easy feat.  Though as Miles has shown, as far as speed goes, going with the risk and taking a couple of deaths proves to pay off.

Only thing about using the in-game timer is that it may be a pain to add up times for 60-something levels.  It might be okay if it's one person attempting until they know they got "the run", but for run comparison purposes it could be a bit tedious.  And as far as accuracy of timing, I don't really see any advantage of using one over the other, except that real time would discourage excessive care during pause strats (pretty minor point, though real time could make the M1 pause strat nearly useless).
Do a run, Miles.

But like... Prime. Sad

Get SJF first then do this! imo.
I hate all of you. Sad
Main Work!!!
I still say that I don't care which one of either you or cosmo do a SMB run but I know that the two of you can do a perfect run, just pass one week on this and create a competitive spirit on this run, then the best of the two will be kept and that will be very nice and epic. I know slowing down a speedrun for one week is bad but the final result will worth it.
The Speedrunning Teacher
Quote from mikwuyma:
We need one run of Super Monkey Ball, the true SMB (it shares the title with Super Meat Boy).

But...But...what about Super Mario Bros?

Also:
Quote from mikwuyma:
Quote from UltraJMan:
Quote from Paraxade:
Quote from Aftermath:
Quote from PJ:

Main Work!!!
Quote from Zyre:
Quote from mikwuyma:
We need one run of Super Monkey Ball, the true SMB (it shares the title with Super Meat Boy).

But...But...what about Super Mario Bros?

The only real SMB are Super Meat Boy and Super Monkey Ball, understand Tongue !!!