Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MarioRPG.html

Craig 'cyghfer' Gordon's SS run with deaths

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Super Mario RPG Single Segment with death abuse by cyg – Verification

A/V is great for a verification copy. I saw no evidence of cheating whatsoever. My timing is 2:57:30 (from starting to walk in Bowser's Castle's entrance hall to final damage done on Smithy).

Highlights:

Right off the bat I like what I see: powering up jump in Bowser's Castle.
Nicely done on the first invincibility star.
Mack skip FTW.
Nice 'n classy getting exactly 60 coins in Midas River. Skip that text box!
The game totally robbed you in the first and third Mine Car segments. Total nonsense. Otherwise beautifully executed.
Pearls room is bad ass.
Flawless climb to Nimbus city.
Really impressive fight dodging in Nimbus castle.
Exor quick kill.

Lowlights and curious points (won't complain about RNG here, as that's beyond the runner's control in a Single Segment):

Unnecessary fight in Kero Sewers compounded with poor run-away Luck. >.<
Doesn't Thunderbolt kill the Flunkie/crooks in one hit in the mines (and also never miss)? If so, that's totally worth using a honey syrup for the extra EXP and coins. It'd also save quite a bit of time in the five-guy fights.
Booster Hill. >.<;
Unnecessary fight in Booster Pass revisit.
Clone room. >.<
Unnecessary fight in the Sunken ship.
Probably unnecessary fight in Land's End.
Sand whirlpools D:
Defending with Peach kind of bit you twice during the death abuse / levelling segment.
Belome 2. Argh.
Unnecessary fight in Bean valley.
Unnecessary fight in the Volcano.
Extra menu right after Czar Dragon.
Defending when trying to die in the Bowser's Castle trials seems to have cost you time again. Does this tend to be a better strategy that the RNG just didn't like this attempt?

Generalities:

Excellent money and menu management. This shows crazy-good planning and execution.
Phenomenal enemy avoidance throughout. Booster Tower in particular stands out.
Boss planning and strategy was top-notch.

This run kicks the ass of the current one, and does it with style. There are a handful of execution errors, but many fewer than I would permit in a run of this length. Since cyg is being so hard on himself (“pretty good, but not what I would like to have on SDA”), I say ACCEPT on the conditions that he includes some awesome audio commentary and promises to improve on this time within the year.

Quote:
Oh man, cyg is beating me to Rane's bounty of having a run published with his cursed name as file name.  This will be an interesting watch for sure.

Ouch, 3 hammer-times from the hammer bros. I've seen worse though.

Got the Bandit's Way Kerokerocola first try. That chest can be very elusive at times.
Not a perfect croco chase, quite some luck needed for him to run into the proper spots.

Always sweet seeing the Mack skipped pulled off in an SS. This marks the passing of the first major run  obstacle. I only have around 20% success with this skip and that is with immediate retries. Being able  to play up to this part and not succumb to the pressure of the moment is a feat indeed.

Ack, ghosts in the sewers did not cooperate.
No sleep but two S'crow funks instead? I like this Belome pattern.

Great Midas river first part. No cave detours in this route and no need for swimming even once. Optimized!
And sweet second part, getting exactly 60 coins thus skipping two extra lines of dialogue.
What's with that sound hiccup right before frogfucious appears? Don't remember it being there.

Some moving blue block messups in Rose Way, that could definitely have gone smoother.
Another elusive KeroKerocola in the Forest. Good job getting it without triggering the wiggler.

I like this croco chase route, making him chase you instead Smiley
Decent croco fight, no need for any items but lots of misses from Mario.

Ah, second floor of Booster's tower and the second best tune in the game. Always feels good being in  this area.
I see this route still had the zoom shoes in it, no big loss.
Nice twisting to the beat behind the curtains. Prvents you from going crazy just waiting around.

Indeed, Booster hill looked pretty bad. Wait, the barrel audio defect is just your TV not being able to  produce that sound or? The barrel sound is present in this video so you might want to look for a better  TV.
Don't stand on ze cake! Perfect kill on Raspberry, not a single point of dmg more than neccessary.  Viewer is amused.

No star hill encounters, very nice. This place is just made for unwanted colliding with fast running  enemies. Opening the menu in the beginning of Sea Side Town was for a DVD switch I presume. This should  probably be mentioned in the authors comments since there is an audio discrepancy because of it.
PEASLS! 3 fire bomb freebies in a row, now that's definitely a good start for keeping up with the  required amount.

What is it with KeroKeroCola's and being notoriously difficult to get? Sure they are good, but not That  good. Would jumping into the water be slightly faster than dropping down and swimming to the whirl  pool? Probably since the swimming isn't as fast as running.
100 jumps on a feared Johnny. Managing this feat in an SS makes this an instant accept! I wonder why  Johnny just didn't take one step to the side after the third jump already. He should have figured out  the pattern of what was hitting him for sure. He was probably scared stiff by the freight bomb.

Geno surviving the water blast with 1 hp is pretty sweet. I like how Peach's Group Hug heals for the  perfect amount of taking him from 1 to full health. And the freebies are just pouring in like crazy  now. It seems that holding down+x while scratching your nose at the same time definitely is a winning  tactic.

Some trouble getting that red essence and unfortunately this run still uses the slow flower jumps as  the faster method wasn't discovered/made public knowledge until after the completion of this run.

Belome 2 was indeed a thorn in this run. That one missed jump cost you 30s.
And speaking of thorns, I thought we already told you to always bee ready whenever you walk around in  Bean Valley.

The egg went from pink to red. Is that a part of the hatching process? The number of hits is what makes  the egg break, not the amount of damage dealt. This is why the runner doesn't use timed attacks against  it.

A fire based dragon whose main attack is a Water blast? Now I've seen it all. Even a pokemon wouldn't  be doing such a thing.
Chasing the Axem Rangers, second best chase tune in the game. I've always wondered where they stashed  Axem Blue.
Changing turn order so that Peach will be able to defend against the breaker beam. Would it have  mattered if she fell unconscious? Seems like you would have finished faster not having to defend with  her and not having to waste 8 seconds for the extra attack that yellow got in because of it.

2 battle rooms. Can't have a successful run without drawing both of them.
Boomer uses Shaker. He does kinda look like a salt shaker now that I think of it.
Has anyone ever fought Exor without using Geno Whirl? I think I did it once just to see if something  different would happen.
Making all these screw jumps without falling off when playing onehanded was very difficult. Luckily the  runner can use two. But even so, it did not prevent him from falling off. We need three hands for this.
Some improvising versus Cloaker and Domino. Nothing too bad, only lost a turn.

I actually lost count on the super jumping vs the tank head. Still very nice to see the consistency of  being able to pull of those jumps this late in the run.

Verdict: This single-segment run completely demolishes the current segmented run so it's an easy accept  due to the sheer awesomeness. With some rough counting it seems this run could be improved by around 4  minutes. Also, this run includes fish.

Quote:
I really don't have much to say about this. The runner pointed out pretty much all the obvious mistakes in his comments on the run, and the other verifiers have done a masterful job of providing in-depth comments. Count me among those who accept this.

Quote:
you didnt get caught by the snifits 3 times and do the booster battle, which is faster as long as you keep freebie'ing rock candies the whole game.

speaking of which, why didn't you freebie rock candies the whole game?

instant reject

#1 you are a champ for thinking rane did this run. lrn2w00ty
#2, i want that rane bounty too. i'll probably beat you to it as well. Grin
#3 ur as lazy as me, nice

ok really accept, like, dur
if i have any issues with the route/strats that are actually important and are different from what is currently going on in attempts, i'll let cyghfer know over irc or skype or something.

also cyghfer dude, ur so lazy you typed out entire author notes without caps? thats hardcore man. however you used ! and ? in there so you still had to use the shift key... now you have no defense mwahahahaha

ok neither do i
i'll shut up now

Quote:
I know things are still really busy on SDA, so I’ll just finally pitch in so this can get completely verified and get out of limbo. The worst part is I did watch this two weeks ago, but I haven’t had time to sit down and focus on stuff until now. Work and other things came up. Whatever. It’s time. I’ll be brief.

Good stuff:
- The first Hammer Bros. battle.
- Mac skip!
- Exactly 60 coins on the Midas River.
- The Croco fights.
- The Booster Tower level.
- The whole Chapel goes pretty quickly.
- Not getting into a single battle on Star Hill.
- One hundred jumps on Johnny!
- Climbs all the beanstalks in Bean Valley without falling off.
- The entire Barrel Volcano level (Two boss battles included).
- Doesn’t get a game over in the Gunyolk / Factory Chief battle, but comes so damn close.
- Kind of a nail-biting Smithy battle too.
- The amount of freebies he gets.

Bad stuff:
- Gets screwed on the mine cart ride and falls of the rails at least twice.
- Bad Booster Hill run.
- Booster asking Peach “Are you leaking, my dear!?”
- Screw up in the clone room of the Sunken Ship which forces him to re-enter the room.
- Screw up at the beginning of Land’s End trying to get the hidden treasure chest.
- Screw up with the portals in Land’s End which, in my opinion, was just as bad as the next mistake.
- Loses over 30 seconds to Belome 2 when the last jump fails to connect.
- Get unlucky with the Bowser’s Keep doors.
- Falls off a bolt in the Gate level and has to get back up.
- A battle or two where some hits or the final hit misses and another round of turns results.
- Didn’t know about a few shortcuts and tips at the time, like the jumps off the rotating flowers.
- Accidental battles in the sewers, Booster’s Pass, and Sunken Ship.

There have been some possible improvements that have come to light since this run was done. There have also been some item gathering changes and alternate battle techniques suggested that could have made a difference. The runner admits this run isn’t the best it can be, and is submitting it because he’s out of time at the moment. There are some unfortunate events that cause over a minute of time to be lost, but some are luck based like Bowser’s Keep. Normally this would be rejection-worthy ground, especially with that Banjo-Kazooie blow-up we had. However, this run annihilates the current run by over an hour. The positive things like the Mac skip, 100 jumps, great fights, and overall cleaner route, planning, and execution outshine the negatives in this three hour speedrun. Even though it’s not perfect at the moment, there’s no way I’m going to reject this impressive attempt. Let’s take the old relic down and replace it with this flawed masterpiece.

/poetic nature

Decision: Accept

Reason: We can finally get rid of Marshmallow's run.
Thread title: