--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2009-03-29 06:38:06 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet, I don't know why.

Jeremy 'DK28' Doll's individual cup runs

Verifier Responses

Quote:
There's some weird glitches with the sound at the beginning and end of some of the -v videos. Not sure what's up with that. Other than that I didn't see any technical problems, and no signs of cheating.

I'm gonna step through and provide a detailed analysis because I feel that a racing game deserves it. I'll give each track a 1-10 rating, 1 being "why would you fucking submit this" (the first DD2 run) and 10 being "I have doubts that this is a human playing, it's that good" (the current MM2 run). Summary at the bottom for those of you reading this and would rather just get my overall feeling.

MUSHROOM CUP

Mario Circuit 1 - Pretty much flawless. 9.5.

51"70, 8 seconds ahead of Toad.

Donut Plains 1 - Clips the grass corners a little more than I'd like. Still damn good. 9.

1'12"37, 10 seconds ahead of Toad.

Ghost Valley 1 - Nice luck with the feather and the mushroom, saves a ton of time. No obvious mistakes. 9.5.

53"78. Finishes the race so fast that the map fades out before Toad has finished. This is not the last time this happens.

Bowser Castle 1 - Lost speed on a couple of turns and misses one of the boost arrows. 9.

1'23"89. Fades out before Toad finishes.

Mario Circuit 2 - Skids into the dirt very early into the race, and hits an oil slick during the fourth lap. 8.5.

1'12"95. Toad is pissed and is smashing into DK's ass after he crosses the finish line. Fades out before Toad finishes.

Overall for Mushroom Cup - Nicely done, 9 or 9.5 overall. Easy accept.

5'34"69 total time.

Flower Cup

Choco Island 1 - Skids through a puddle near the end, otherwise nearly perfect. 9.

55"69, 9 seconds ahead of Toad.

Ghost Valley 2 - Holds on to a mushroom the entire race, instead of using it. A bit dubious, but then he uses it during the last lap when he misses the boost arrow. 9.

54"16. Toad doesn't finish.

Donut Plains 2 - Speed loss and grass clipping on quite a few of the corners, but this is a narrow track with a lot of hairpins so I'm not sure how much you can really do about that. The boosts across the water with the mushroom bring this up a bit, but faceplanting into the wall at the end brings it down. 8.

1'32"26. Two seconds ahead of Toad.

Bowser Castle 2 - Lots of smacking into walls, but this is another narrow track. The perfectionist in me wants to see it redone, but I'm not sure if I want to reject the entire cup because of it. 5.

1'51"36. 6 seconds ahead of Toad. Weird, considering this track was comparatively worse than the last...

Mario Circuit 3 - This track helps redeem the previous one, only a couple noticeable mistakes. 9.

1'26"53. 6 seconds ahead of Toad.

Overall for Flower Cup - Gonna say 7. It's not quite as clean as the Mushroom Cup, and Bowser Castle 2 was pretty bad.

6'40"00 total time.

Star Cup

Koopa Beach - Guhhhh I always hate the tracks that MAKE you drive through water or mud. It always feels like the computer players aren't as effected by it as they should be, and DK's shitty acceleration only makes it worse. Still, only a couple minor hitches in this run. 9.

1'02"23. Only a second ahead of Toad. Goddamn water.

Choco Island 2 - Stupid mud puddle in the middle of the track. I love the feather skip. Clips the dirt a couple times. 9.

1'11"03. 4 seconds ahead of Toad.

Vanilla Lake 1 - Hits the ice blocks more than he needs to, clips the snow a couple times, and then hits a wall. 7.

1'01"22. Less than a second ahead of Toad.

Bowser Castle 3 - Hits a corner right at the start of the race. Second lap has an ugly finish because of the Thwomps, but recovers fairly nicely. Otherwise pretty good. 7.

1'39"84. 12 seconds ahead of Toad.

Mario Circuit 4 - Ugh. Misses the turbo boost at the beginning and trails behind Toad for the first 15 seconds of the race, and has trouble avoiding obstacles for the first two laps. If this were the any other race in the circuit I'd reject it outright, but since it's the last race and the others were good enough, I'm probably going to let it slide. Still, 3.

1'49"01. 2 seconds ahead of Toad.

Overall for Star Cup - Probably good enough, but if that Mario Circuit 4 race were anything but the last race in the cup I'd reject it. Still a 6 overall.

6'43"33 total time.

Special Cup

Donut Plains 3 - Pretty good except at the end of the fourth lap he gets a mole clamped on him. It looks terrible but it doesn't lose much time, so I'm not gonna dock him too hard. He still manages to lap Yoshi. 8.5.

1'26"63. One second ahead of Toad.

Koopa Beach 2 - Gaaaaah another one of THESE levels. He does about as well as I can reasonably expect, but Bowser pulls ahead of him briefly because the computer is a cheating bastard. 9.

1'06"88. Tenth of a second ahead of Toad. What more proof do you need that the computer cheats the water?

Ghost Valley 3 - Misses the boost pad and smacks into a wall. Makes up for it a bit with some feather corner jumping. 9.

1'22"31. 6 seconds ahead of Toad.

Vanilla Lake 2 - I'm really torn about this one. I feel like he should do the lap skip bug but maybe it's harder than I remember. First lap is a bit ugly because there's still a ton of ice blocks, but the rest of it goes pretty smoothly, lots of risky water skipping. 9.

1'01"88. A second ahead of Toad.

If this were an IL Time Trial table, I'd say do the lap skip bug.

Rainbow Road - Damn. Goes off pretty much perfectly and comes withing a few pixels of skidding off the edge more times than I can count. 9.5.

1'35"30. One second ahead of Toad. Does this game seriously expect you to be that good just to not get 2nd? Good lord. No wonder I never got gold in 150cc Star Cup.

Special Cup Overall - Considering the difficulty of these tracks and the cheapness of the computer, this went damn well. I hate how he got grabbed by the mole in the very first race, but it doesn't cost that much time so I can't bitch about it too much. 9.

6'43"00 total time.

Overall Summary

Mushroom Cup: Damn good. Easy accept. 5'34"69 total time.
Flower Cup: Good except for the Bowser race, which I would like to see redone, but not badly enough to reject it. Accept. 6'40"00 total time.
Star Cup: Good up until the last race where he has a terrible start. Redo this one please, but I still have a tentative accept, depending on how the other verifiers feel about it. 6'43"33 total time.
Special Cup: Considering the difficulty of these courses, also damn good. Easy accept. 6'43"00 total time.

Overall Total: 25'41"02.

Quote:
Verifier: I watched the SMK stuff before my computer died though
[22:43]me: no problem
Verifier: i was trying to type out the verification on my ps3 but shift + delete in the browser deletes all
Verifier: I rewrote it about 4 times before i just said "Screw it"
Verifier: anyway; unless the mushroom section changed (didn't seem like it did) i belive you have that one;
me: no it didn't change
Verifier: But the other 3 are done well. I donno why he doesn't hop while on the grass and in the water. I thought that preserved Speed better; it caused him some close calls with the AI
Verifier: He does awesome driving, and pulls off some good short cuts.
Verifier: its a strong set of racing, in a random environment. He even passed by rainbow road rather nicely. All in all, there are some problems i believe with that could be ironed out but others would come into play. His lap of hopping seems to not play so much. Its still a damn good accept
me: for all of the cups, I assume
Verifier: yeah;
Verifier: I just wish he'd hop in the water/ on grass a little more

The last verifier requested silence, but he said accepts across the board.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's nice to have the Mario Kart that started it all on the site.
Thread title:  
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Just some feedback, first, thanks for the honesty.

[quote="mikwuyma"]
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet, I don't know why.

Jeremy 'DK28' Doll's individual cup runs

Verifier Responses

There's some weird glitches with the sound at the beginning and end of some of the -v videos. Not sure what's up with that. Other than that I didn't see any technical problems, and no signs of cheating.

I'm gonna step through and provide a detailed analysis because I feel that a racing game deserves it. I'll give each track a 1-10 rating, 1 being "why would you fucking submit this" (the first DD2 run) and 10 being "I have doubts that this is a human playing, it's that good" (the current MM2 run). Summary at the bottom for those of you reading this and would rather just get my overall feeling.

LOL. Fair Enough

Overall for Mushroom Cup - Nicely done, 9 or 9.5 overall. Easy accept.

5'34"69 total time.

Thank you.

Flower Cup

Ghost Valley 2 - Holds on to a mushroom the entire race, instead of using it. A bit dubious, but then he uses it during the last lap when he misses the boost arrow. 9.

54"16. Toad doesn't finish.

IIRC I don't like the mushroom shortcut here.  It swings you wide and doesn't give much of a time boost.  So I reserve it in case I miss the arrow on a lap.

Donut Plains 2 - Speed loss and grass clipping on quite a few of the corners, but this is a narrow track with a lot of hairpins so I'm not sure how much you can really do about that. The boosts across the water with the mushroom bring this up a bit, but faceplanting into the wall at the end brings it down. 8.

Yeah, that wall crash was horrendous.

Star Cup

Koopa Beach - Guhhhh I always hate the tracks that MAKE you drive through water or mud. It always feels like the computer players aren't as effected by it as they should be, and DK's shitty acceleration only makes it worse. Still, only a couple minor hitches in this run. 9.

My thoughts exactly

Mario Circuit 4 - Ugh. Misses the turbo boost at the beginning and trails behind Toad for the first 15 seconds of the race, and has trouble avoiding obstacles for the first two laps. If this were the any other race in the circuit I'd reject it outright, but since it's the last race and the others were good enough, I'm probably going to let it slide. Still, 3.

See author's comments  Tongue

Special Cup

Koopa Beach 2 - Gaaaaah another one of THESE levels. He does about as well as I can reasonably expect, but Bowser pulls ahead of him briefly because the computer is a cheating bastard. 9.

Cheating bastard indeed.

Vanilla Lake 2 - I'm really torn about this one. I feel like he should do the lap skip bug but maybe it's harder than I remember. First lap is a bit ugly because there's still a ton of ice blocks, but the rest of it goes pretty smoothly, lots of risky water skipping. 9.

My runs here are specifically NO GLITCH OR LAKITU shortcuts

Rainbow Road - Damn. Goes off pretty much perfectly and comes withing a few pixels of skidding off the edge more times than I can count. 9.5.

1'35"30. One second ahead of Toad. Does this game seriously expect you to be that good just to not get 2nd? Good lord. No wonder I never got gold in 150cc Star Cup.

Special Cup Overall - Considering the difficulty of these tracks and the cheapness of the computer, this went damn well. I hate how he got grabbed by the mole in the very first race, but it doesn't cost that much time so I can't bitch about it too much. 9.

Thanks again.
And I think Special cup was 6'33"00.  May need a double check.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2009-03-30 01:58:54 pm
Not a walrus
Quote from DK28:
And I think Special cup was 6'33"00.  May need a double check.

You're right, I can't add. (That one was me.)

We didn't get the comments for the last three cups (or at least I didn't), so maybe it would have explained MC4 better.
Edit history:
Enhasa: 2009-03-30 04:38:20 pm
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
Oh wait, I think I was supposed to verify but I never got around to telling Mike. Let me be honest. I think I should have rejected this, and I know that personally I could make a better run (if the year was 2005 I would have done so by now), but I'm not opposed to this going up because:

1) spurs competition (very importantly, we know that other people exist who could improve this and perhaps could benefit from motivation)
2) it's only happened once I can remember, but I have accepted worse (this is maybe a dumb way to think because one mistake doesn't condone another)
3) dk28 is a good guy and has taken enough criticism for other runs already
4) edit: oh yeah, extremely important, it's good enough that most casual watchers wouldn't be able to tell or mind (although, this is a tricky one since we could lower standards by a lot and still this would be true)

#1 is the really important one, important enough that I'm cool with this.

Neo and KVD seem like cool guys, so they will probably be nice to you, but many speedrunners with big egos would tear you apart over this run, so prepare yourself just in case. Since NBT is allowed, and is not a separate category, a run that ignores NBT is like a later MK run that ignores snaking. Edit: A good way to describe this run is that it looked like what I figured a first-submission non-NBT SS might look like. Also I would add that IMHO bad start should equal instant reset.
Thanks Enhasa.  I tihnk I've at least proven I can handle constructive criticism (see DD2 and SSB64).  But I can see where there is some room for improvement and I may tackle that in IL races.  I just love this game enough, that I had to run it.  And believe me, I put in so much time on this one, I may have been teasing a divorce.  Tongue  Also, I saw in the thread that there would be two categories, one for shortcut abuse, one without, so I was doing straight racing first, but no big deal.  I look forward to seeing where this game goes.  Grin
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
Quote from DK28:
I just love this game enough, that I had to run it.  And believe me, I put in so much time on this one, I may have been teasing a divorce.  Tongue

Ouch. Sad

Anyway, I'm not knocking your skill at this game, if we ever do another SMK tourney I think you would be really fun to race. I guess it's just that some insane videos already exist out there so in this situation the bar is set really high.

PS if you haven't seen already, I posted more feedback in the SMK thread in older consoles.
LOL.  If it was that bad, I would wake up and she would have made all of my gear disappear. 

But a tourney would be sweet. 
Not a walrus
You mind pm/posting your comments at least for MC4? Curious what you had to say about it.
Edit history:
Red_Shifter: 2009-05-09 02:52:04 am
yes, an iron knuckle riding a mechanical horse
I saw a really weird screen at the end of the Flower Cup movie.

On second thought, it looks like a DVD player.
Currently occupying the grey area.
Someone please correct me on this if i'm wrong, as i have no experience on this game. The Donuts Plain 2 mushroom skip doesn't seem to save any time, just looking at the end lap times. i know there was a lot of time lost on the last corner of lap 5, but even lap 3, which looked fairly clean, was slower than the non shortcut laps. I'm just thinking that the mushroom could be used in a better place than it is.