List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
DK + Mario Kart 8 = <3
here is the map of this
I'll take that as a maybe (jay)
GWAHAHAHAHA!
@Jay HORRIBLE

I'll be working on doing a mario 120-star speedrun video sometime, I might get my stuff required to get for a good quality run for Christmas so I can do Segment 1 in video. I got less used to the luma-text skip in grand star rescue, so now I'm not able to do it.
Edit history:
Play-doh: 2010-11-17 04:37:06 pm
So what time do you reckon you could get for the first 10 stars?

I haven't played this game in ages and I just started again today, thinking about speed running, and it took me almost an hour to get the first 9/10 stars, with all the storyline and that. I think the 61 star speedrunner could do it in about 40 minutes skipping one star in terrace.

What are you going to aim for Jack...
THIS RUN CONTAINS SECRET WORLDS
The beginning of the 100% run should definitely have speed and gameplay quality that is up to par with yoshifan's any%, so you might want to model the target time for the first ten stars roughly on how quickly yoshifan got the first ten stars in the any%, taking into account differences in the route.
Obscure games ftw
Quote from yoshifan:
Quote from MAS8705:
In short, I would guess that the run will be completed by the end of the year, if not by late summer...

Yeah, I would make the same guess, on pretty much the same grounds. Tongue

10 months later, about 2/3s done.  Keep up the good work yoshifan!
(no this is not impatience, this is encouragement)
Edit history:
logitechSDAZ: 2010-11-21 12:52:43 am
logitechSDAZ: 2010-11-21 12:52:12 am
logitechSDAZ: 2010-11-21 12:51:45 am
logitechSDAZ: 2010-11-21 12:51:08 am
logitechSDAZ: 2010-11-20 03:35:00 pm
Skip Dreadnought switches. Saves 3 seconds at most and is difficult.       

long jump up a slope

GWAHAHAHAHA!
1:25.15 - Treasure of the Pyramid (Luigi) (WR)

I got the last silver star saved before the sand started moving again. I timed this using the stopwatch on my sister's mobile.
THIS RUN CONTAINS SECRET WORLDS
@logitech: can you long-jump up a slope as consistently as the spinning method? The way the video ended gave me the impression that you were just barely able to do it after several attempts, since you appear to have decided to let Luigi fall. Is this the case, or am I misinterpreting the video?
Quote from Sillygramcracker:
@logitech: can you long-jump up a slope as consistently as the spinning method? The way the video ended gave me the impression that you were just barely able to do it after several attempts, since you appear to have decided to let Luigi fall. Is this the case, or am I misinterpreting the video?

After initially landing on the slope, I can almost always get one long jump to work. After that, it gets much more difficult. Unfortunately, what you saw in the video is still my best attempt.
I messed around with the slope long jump myself - it's certainly odd.  I can see why we've never stumbled upon the trick until now.  You do need to hold/tap back on the control stick (back relative to the direction you're facing) while doing the long jump to make it work.  I think the idea is that you're tricking the game into thinking you're trying to go down the slope, instead of up.  Normally when you try to do a jump going up a slope, you just do that flip jump that doesn't take you anywhere; when you're going down a slope, you have more options for your jumps.  And of course, they programmed it this way so that slope climbing wouldn't be easy...

As logitech indicates, the first slope long jump is the easiest one to do (and IMO, it's easier to do it right as you touch the slope like logitech did).  Mysteriously, after landing from that long jump, I've never managed to do a second slope long jump in the same way.  I did it as logitech did, by running in place on the slope a bit and then tapping back + Z + A roughly at the same time.  But this is inconsistent, and often I end up doing a side somersault, backflip, or a normal slope jump instead.  (The fact that you can do that is interesting in its own right, though... one time, I managed to do a side somersault that went visibly higher than normal.)  I think the inconsistent slope jump can theoretically be repeated indefinitely on the same slope, but obviously it'd be hard.

As is, I'm not going to worry about redoing Conquering the Summit for this trick.  The only consistent long jump is the one right after initially landing on the slope, and in this level's case, I'm still running at a decent speed when I first get onto the slope, so the benefit seems pretty negligible.  Maybe one day we'll figure out how long jumps really work, though... (we need to figure out not only this, but also those weird long jumps from water!)

Also, I'm kind of back to this game right now; starting tomorrow, though, I should start studying for my final exams on Thursday and Friday.  After those are done, I'll really be free.
GWAHAHAHAHA!
15.68 - Sunken Treasure (Luigi) (WR)
35.xx - Wall Jumping Up Waterfalls (Luigi)
30.xx - Through the Poison Swamp (Luigi)
12.xx - Luigi on the Roof (Luigi) (WR)
HackJack: I'm a bit concerned that your timing methods are different from what most people are using... here's the rule from the old wiki: "Timing begins from the moment Mario or Luigi gains control and ends upon collecting the Power Star. For consistency, all in-game timers, where applicable, are disregarded."

You can certainly time your own runs however you like (cutting out cutscenes, or whatever), but if you're posting your times without videos, it's probably best to be consistent about timing so you don't confuse people.  Anyway, besides that, if you find any new strategies then you should certainly mention them.

---

I've been officially free from school since about 9 days ago, so I've been steadily working on the 61-star run at least since then.  The next 12 stars (47 through 58) are all going to be Engine Room stars.  My plan is to get solid strategies for all 12 planned Engine Room stars, and then decide how to split up the stars into segments from there.  Re-entering the Engine Room costs about 20 seconds, so I certainly can't make as many segments as I want; probably the best optimization/sanity balance will be 2 segments of 6 stars each, as I've indicated in the route so far.

So far I've done solid work on 10 of these stars, to the point that I probably have (or nearly have) the exact strategies I'll use for the segments.  As for the other 2, I'm still plugging away at Toy Time 6 (The Flipswitch Chain) and Toy Time 4 (Fast Foes of Toy Time).  After that I should have a pretty good idea of what the Engine Room looks like.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to help on the trickier spots:

(1) Gold Leaf 2 - Cataquack to the Skies.  See here.  The triple jump + spin from the grass cube to the zigzag-shaped planet is very tricky, easily less than 50% consistent for me.  The problem is that the triple jump doesn't seem to make it unless it's done off of the dark-green grass of the cube side that's facing the zigzag planet, and that's a small area to aim for when you're rounding a corner like that.  If anyone might have a decent method of doing this, I'd be happy to hear any ideas.

(2) Gold Leaf 4 - Cosmic Luigi Forest Race.  See this video; it's of Star 3, not the race, but it shows the same shortcut.  It's a large shortcut that takes you right up to where the finish point of this race is.  The backflip method shown in the video is fairly consistent if you're careful, but requires some setup.  (Note that the camera behaves quite differently in Star 3 versus the race, though, so the details of the setup change quite a bit.)

There's a faster variant of this trick which requires nearly no setup: instead of a backflip, you can use a triple jump + spin + walljump off of the tree + spin to get up.  However, it seems to need a fairly precise angle when you're walljumping off of the tree, so I haven't gotten this down consistently - maybe 50% at most.  I'm mainly talking about the race (instead of Star 3), because that's where I have the most trouble with the shortcut, again due to the camera.
High paying bounty for this game here - http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/high_paying_bounties..html
^ Those are some pretty hardcore bounties.  It's hard to say if anyone will step up to the monumental task of a 120-star run, but either way, it's always nice to see such support for this game!

Well, here's how my run is doing:

Segment 13

That was quite a trial!  To make a long story fairly short:

(Dec 26) After practicing for most of December, I started half-serious attempts at a 12-star Engine Room segment, just to see if it was a viable option over two 6-star segments.

(Dec 28) 25:04.50 - from the start of the Observatory to selecting Yes/No at the last Save prompt.  Lost 10 seconds from forgetting to skip the Luigi Meets Mario opening cutscene until fairly late; other than that, there was very little time loss except for a 51.xx penguin race.  A frustrating turn of events, but at the same time it convinced me that an impressive 12-star segment was possible.

(Jan 02) 24:58.23.  Remembered to skip cutscenes, but was overall slower than the Dec 28 run otherwise, despite a 47.xx penguin race.  I strongly considered keeping this segment, since I was at the last day of my winter vacation.  I even encoded the video for this attempt!  I changed my mind, though, and decided to keep training and trying.

(Jan 04) 24:50.46.  At around 1 AM, I finished this run, with a 47.xx penguin race.  I'm glad I kept going!

Since it takes 19-20 seconds to get to the Engine Room, and this run lost about 2 seconds in each of 4 or 5 levels (Gold Leaf 6, Toy Time 1, Toy Time 6, Sea Slide 4, kind of Sea Slide 2), I'm certain that I wouldn't have saved time by optimizing with two segments instead.

So basically, I'm sitting at 58 stars right now, and there'll be two more segments for a total of 15.  The hardest part is over!!
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
Man, you finally post a video and look at the avalanche of comments you already have...  Still though I can see why it took about three months for you to finally get this segment finished (besides life)...

While you may not have met the 2010 timeframe, that only means that this will be *takes deep breath* *caps*

THE BEST SPEED RUN OF 2011!!!

Truly it will be this run (once it finishes) and Skies of Arcadia that I'm looking forward to being published... Keep up the good work and don't slow down now...
Quote from yoshifan:
^ Those are some pretty hardcore bounties.  It's hard to say if anyone will step up to the monumental task of a 120-star run, but either way, it's always nice to see such support for this game!

I hope they will. 120 SS Mario 64 is one of the best runs I've ever seen, somebody needs to set the standard for this game!

I'm looking forward to all runs, though Smiley
Attention - yoshifan has gotten Segment 13 of his/her speedrun.

Wow long segment. 25 minutes of 12 stars.
yeah, he posted it 5 days ago.
1-Up!
Quote from yoshifan:

Segment 13

(Dec 26) After practicing for most of December, I started half-serious attempts at a 12-star Engine Room segment, just to see if it was a viable option over two 6-star segments.

(Dec 28) 25:04.50 - from the start of the Observatory to selecting Yes/No at the last Save prompt.  Lost 10 seconds from forgetting to skip the Luigi Meets Mario opening cutscene until fairly late; other than that, there was very little time loss except for a 51.xx penguin race.  A frustrating turn of events, but at the same time it convinced me that an impressive 12-star segment was possible.

(Jan 02) 24:58.23.  Remembered to skip cutscenes, but was overall slower than the Dec 28 run otherwise, despite a 47.xx penguin race.  I strongly considered keeping this segment, since I was at the last day of my winter vacation.  I even encoded the video for this attempt!  I changed my mind, though, and decided to keep training and trying.

(Jan 04) 24:50.46.  At around 1 AM, I finished this run, with a 47.xx penguin race.  I'm glad I kept going!

Since it takes 19-20 seconds to get to the Engine Room, and this run lost about 2 seconds in each of 4 or 5 levels (Gold Leaf 6, Toy Time 1, Toy Time 6, Sea Slide 4, kind of Sea Slide 2), I'm certain that I wouldn't have saved time by optimizing with two segments instead.

So basically, I'm sitting at 58 stars right now, and there'll be two more segments for a total of 15.  The hardest part is over!!

lol HackJack...
Quote from Flip:
Quote from yoshifan:

Segment 13

lol HackJack...

Sorry I didn't see that.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Great as always yoshifan and well worth the wait.  Monster segment.
How, exactly, is a single segment 120 star run timed?

What I mean is, you must beat Bowser twice and, after the first time, you have to watch through the entire ending sequence (which is somewhere in the realm of ten minutes,) save, and then re-enter your file. Is the ending sequence part of the timing, or does timing stop when you collect Bowser’s grand star then resume when you re-enter your file and gain control of Mario? Actually, does timing for any run end at the last hit on Bowser, or does it end when you collect the grand star?

And, no, I’m not just asking this out of idle curiosity.
Edit history:
gia: 2011-02-27 12:57:24 pm
gia: 2011-02-27 12:56:20 pm
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
regardless of sda's timing, in my opinion you should try to speedrun everything, the menu as well, cancel the credits if possible etc, since it is single segment make it more like an RTA

if you have to collect the star manually then yeah that counts
Now a hit show on the CW
Quote from gia:
regardless of sda's timing, in my opinion you should try to speedrun everything, the menu as well, cancel the credits if possible etc, since it is single segment make it more like an RTA

if you have to collect the star manually then yeah that counts

Agreed. Since SMG doesn't have any sort of ingame timer, I timing starts when you gain control of the character, and ends when you lose control (after touching the grand star). So, unfortunately, that includes watching the credits the first time.