Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Mario3.html

Freddy 'Frezy_Man' Andersson's warps run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Hi,

here's the verification comments. Hope my speed here makes up the slowness of the Pikmin 2 ones Tongue

Quality:
Audio is fine. The video is horrific. While the action is fine, the menu and floor of levels like W8's 2nd tank are awful. If this is just a verification copy issue, then of course it doesn't matter, but if this is what the real run will look like, it's just too bad quality; you can hardly read the time/coins/score etc.

Cheating:
It's hard to tell with the horrible quality, but I think everything stays consistent. I didn't notice any weirdness or cheating. His fireballing seems fast, but it's at a human speed, just about. One issue I had was at 8:16 where he seems to run straight through the spikes; I can't test it myself but another run from 2007 which I found on youtube uses the exact same trick, and since it saves frames at best on an otherwise excellent run, I can't see it being cheating.

Gameplay:
By my timing (first control to the victory fanfare playing) I made the run 10:40 long. That's a 21 second improvement, which is massive. I wasn't sure exactly where this had come from so I compared each level (in game seconds):

W1 1: 1
W1 2: 2
W1 3: 2
W1 Fort: 0
W8 Tank: 0
W8 Ship: 0
W8 Airship: 0
W8 1: 5
W8 2: 0
W8 Fort: 3
W8 Tank 2: 0
W8 Castle: 6

Plus there are small improvements in world 8's pipes which I didn't time. Even the 0's are (almost) all small improvements.
Basically, this run is virtually flawless. There are no obvious mistakes and generally everything looks perfect. Improving this run will be no small feat.

It's an easy accept, unless that video issue is going to be in the main run, in which case it's too bad to accept.

Quote:
Hi Mike,

verifying didn't take long this time.

Video: Fine for what you can expect from an NES. The bushes on the World 1 map seem a bit flickery - NES...

Audio: Seems fine to me, but I didn't pay close attention to every single second.

1-1: Looks like TAS.

1-2: Looks like TAS.

1-3: Looks like TAS.

1-Fort: Almost looks like TAS. He could save a bit of time by not stopping so hard for that light ball thingy.

8-Tank1: The old run got more than one life at the beginning. Can I reject the run because of this? I wonder how much, if any, time it saves to hit the boomerang sucker with the tail instead of jumping on him.

8-Ship: IIRC the runner got hit here once in the run currently up. Now he doesn't. Saves roughly half a second I'd say.

8-Airship: Nothing to say. Really. It's a goddamn autoscroller and the mini boss gets balls handed to him.

8-1: Noticeably improved, now almost looks like TAS. He doesn't hit the wall when jumping down to that passage with the row of blocks and stops\loses momentum less.

8-2: looks like TAS.

8-Fort: One jump less to get in the first door, generally seems a bit faster after that. He even glitched through the first two spikes in the boss chamber.

8-Tank2: Those autoscrollers must have bored the runner to death. It looks like he enters the pipe here maybe a tenth of a second later than in the other levels at the beginning of World 8.

Bowser's Castle: He smoothly rushes through the castle and hands his firey balls to Bowser. Seems flawless.

Execution in general: vicelike vagina.
I barely see anything that could be further improved. I hope someone really watched it alongside the TAS and compared the time.

Decision: Obvious ACCEPT!!!

Reason: Gayme Rape Express

Quote:
While I think this run is near perfection that a run can be, that's exactly the problem. I have a feeling this run was TASed, it is just too perfect. The crazy acrobatics and such while doing the run is just too insane to have been done by a human hand. Now, I haven't seen any other runs by him, if he has any, so I can't say he isn't that good. But if he is that good and I'm mistaken please let me write some more comments and don't leave these because I will have good stuff to say.

reject until I have more info

I tell the above verifier Frezy_Man did the run and I actually watched one of his earlier runs that was about 4-5 seconds slower while I was in Norway.

Quote:
Alright thanks for the extra info mik.

In which case this run is the most amazing thing I've ever seen! This just blows my mind, quite literally! Everyone needs to see this run and I'll come get you if you reject it.

Accept!!!!!

Quote:
Ah, SMB3. Still my favorite of the series. Can't decide if I'm going to enjoy watching this run or Zelda more. Tongue

Audio and video quality are just fine. No evidence of any cheating is noticeable. And, though it's not really necessary for this run, here's the breakdown.

1-1: Flawless.

1-2: Also flawless.

1-3: Slight bit of trouble dropping through the white block, but no big loss.

1-F: Again, flawless.

8-a: I'm gonna say it a lot. Flawless. Has enough fun bouncing on stuff, though I think we'll only see 99 lives from the TAS'd runs. Tongue

8-b: Flawless.

No issues skipping the hand-grab stages.

8-c: Flawless.

8-1: Flawless.

8-2: Flawless.

8-F: Flawless.

8-d: Flawless.

8-B: The final test, executed beautifully. Uses the 1UP block wall skip perfectly, and I don't think Bowser can be killed much faster without TAS'ing.

Verdict: Accept, for great justice.

Quote:
There were no signs of cheating or any issues with video, audio, or syncing.

There's not much to say about this run because its SO good. It improves upon the current time by an amount I'm surprised by since the old run seems very well executed. The few slight missteps in this run only seem to lose fractions of a second. Excellent improvement!

Recommendation: Approve

Decision: Accept

Reason: Swede-Assisted-Speedrun
Thread title:  
This sounds scarily fishy that it is so perfect......how was it decided that it WASN'T a tas? xD
Exoray
Quote from agumike:
This sounds scarily fishy that it is so perfect......how was it decided that it WASN'T a tas? xD

Mike personally visited the runner to confirm that the shown level of skill was legit Wink

Quote:
Reason: Swede-Assisted-Speedrun

hmm, looks like I'm forced to live up to this standard from now on.

I always enjoyed watching the previous warp runs so can't wait to see this uber-improvement.
Back in the game!
Fuck.  This just pushed my 100% run back another year.
Master-88
Congrats frezy. Is this run under 11?

This might be superb. Cheesy
bläää
ah, nice.

Its not a 21 second improvement. But Its definitely a run under 11 minutes. I worked very hard to get all those nice tricks in the run and the results was pretty much better then expected. I got eleven runs under 11 Minutes actually Wink

yeah. The spikes before the boss in the forte in world 8 were I run trough the spikes a couple of frames. If you duck right when you reach the moving floor while you are in the shooting-animation then you will duck under the spikes even if the animation doesn´t.
Master-88
Quote from Frezy_man:
ah, nice.

Its not a 21 second improvement. But Its definitely a run under 11 minutes. I worked very hard to get all those nice tricks in the run and the results was pretty much better then expected. I got eleven runs under 11 Minutes actually Wink

yeah. The spikes before the boss in the forte in world 8 were I run trough the spikes a couple of frames. If you duck right when you reach the moving floor while you are in the shooting-animation then you will duck under the spikes even if the animation doesn´t.

Man i love you Grin
Edit history:
andrewg: 2009-12-05 01:34:18 am
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Holy crap... I wasn't expecting this at all! Congrats Frezy.

No one beats me at videogames and gets away with it! XD

I don't know how soon I'll be submitting more speedruns or competing on this. Basically lately I've had no way to really even record my attempts, no money, no time, no equipment = no speedruns. :/ I promise you I will take this record back though. I've beaten perfect runs in the past  Wink
bläää
I was pretty much running this game without tell anyone. I got the record already in April-May or something but I kept playing for a better time. In total I have been counting 2968 attempts. I was motivated by a few new strategies but I guess nothing would be new for you Andrew. You was the one showing me that beating 1-2 and 1-3 this fast could be done consistently.

This successful run though was pretty much one second faster then the three second zone I decided would be good enough for me to publish. So this run will be extremly hard to beat. I can not see more then a second or so of tighter gameplay. and then there is about one second more if you get luckier with the hammerbro in world 1. And it is also possible to zip another wall in bowsers castle to gain 2(?) seconds.

But the game is hard and difficult already. So I don´t think I would try to take back the record if someone should beat this.
Master-88
I just watched andrew run (11.01) And this already look flawless in my eyes. I can,t even imagine how good frezy run is. I´ll hope see this run soon.  I need wait at least 1-2 month when run coming up into site. This sounds frustrating wait that so long. 

Is there any new tricks used? As far as i can tell TAS used fun wall glitch in Bowser castle. How about you? Use you that? Otherwise this sounds just too hard beat andrew run with multiple seconds using old tricks. Game is 50% autoscroll and andrew run was near perfect. Roll Eyes
Hi! I'm andrewg!
If the run really is like impossible for me to beat, I may not try it for a long while. But eventually I'll probably give it another shot (maybe after some other speedruns I've been practicing a bit).

Before I decide anything, I'll have to watch the run for myself. So basically the way it looks is that if I beat your run, the new run will be similar to my smb run in perfection.

Frezy, you're insane.  Shocked
bläää
Guess you guys haven´t seen the run yet and the final time. So it will probably be a good watch when the movie arrives Smiley

Remember - There is always room for improvements (Except for AndrewG´s SMB1 speedrun) Tongue
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Quote from Frezy_man:
Guess you guys haven´t seen the run yet and the final time. So it will probably be a good watch when the movie arrives Smiley

Remember - There is always room for improvements (Except for AndrewG´s SMB1 speedrun) Tongue

What is the final time anyway? I'm curious Smiley Nah, that speedrun is improvable (I hope to prove that someday ;))
bläää
Quote from andrewg:
What is the final time anyway? I'm curious Smiley

we are looking forward to the day its actually posted Wink
DS Dictator
Is the gameplay as good as your Contra non-low% run, that it should be fully featured on Magfest (if the small time issue never existed)?
Master-88
Quote from Greenalink:
Is the gameplay as good as your Contra non-low% run, that it should be fully featured on Magfest (if the small time issue never existed)?

This looks frezyman want keep all his stuff secret. I didn,t know he are working that game, this never coming in verification.

This piss me off too. But if he are beat andrewg, almost unhuman run by multiple seconds this is surely stanard like Contra.

Contra is fun game you always can make it faster and faster. There is not max time limit. Frezy are make limit what we can,t beat. But he itself can always redo it over & over. Cheesy
contraddicted
@ andrewg
I am sorry i couldn't tell you about the run. But I did not want to ruin the surprise and frezy's triumph when it would appear here.
Believe me, keeping my mouth shut about this run was hard and every second of waiting for it being available is worth it.
And if you beat this record by a second or more, I will actually have problems closing my mouth for quite some time. If I wouldn't know about your SMB1 run, I'd say it is impossible. But it surely is possible, with seven assloads of unbelievable luck and mind blowing precision.

@ Greenalink
I'd say yes.

@ Frezy_man
Congratulations. You've set another milestone with this.
He's back!
21 second improvement  Shocked

That prompts a few questions.

Was the sliding speed abuse trick attempted in 1-2 and 8-2?
Was the mushroom and feather obtained in 1-1 and 1-3?
Was wall cliping glitches used in Bowser's castle?
#Casual
Yes, yes, and only through the one-up wall.
Congrats Freddy! I knew you had a 10:56 SMB3 run back in april, but didn't know you had crushed it. You beast.
It's up!  This run is fucking maximisexy (or almost maximisexy  ;D).  I imagine that this will stay up for a long time.
just watched this and all i can say is WOW ... amazing run frezy!! ... i am stunned  Shocked
Amazing run, well done.
The comments in Swedish have a space after every ä ("hä r" etc).
DS Dictator
Pretty ironic that the update is on the same day as Super Mario Bros 3 is officially 20 years old (Western release).

http://retro.nintendolife.com/news/2010/02/super_mario_bros_3_turns_twenty

----------------

The speed run itself is amazing that it will be very difficult to beat for a long time.
Master-88
This run was awesome. Nothing any errors.

Do you know TAS wall zips? You not used these. Maybe these are too hard on speedrun.