Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Mario3.html

Warpless SS run
ILs

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I don’t see any cheating, and the video/audio is solid.

I commented on each level, but wanted to sum up some things here and hide the level-by-level stuff below.

I play this game about once a year (100% usually), but I’ve never tried to run it.

The run features great use and knowledge of items both in-level and from the Princess’s gifts on the map.  Runner obviously knows when he needs to be careful and when he needs to sacrifice power-ups in the name of speed or become more agile or gap-friendly with small Mario.

There are some stretches of play in this run that just leave my jaw on the floor: World 3 and the run from 8-1 to the end of the game stand out in my memory.  4-3 was my personal favorite, though there are a lot of amazing things here.

I counted five significant (3+ seconds) mistakes, but I could obviously be mistaken.  The ones in 4-4 and 5-7 were pretty agonizing.

Menu/item usage was good.

The time I get is either 55:04 or 55:00 depending on whether it’s selecting the game or gaining control of Mario on the map that starts time and when you press up to go through to the Princess as the ending (I could be off a couple seconds).

See hidden below for mostly gushing.

ACCEPT: it’s significantly faster than the current run in this category and is a joy to watch.

I left out some smaller mistakes that cost less than a couple seconds from my “Major issues” list, but there were at least 20 seconds’ worth of mistakes with smaller things like having trouble getting into pipes or the miss on bringing out the star in World 6’s first fortress or the treasure chest mess up in the hammer bro encounter on World 2 in addition to the major things I bring up.

I commented on each level as I watched it, occasionally going back to make a note.

Index of some of my level labels:

F: Fortress
C: Castle/Airship
H: Hammer Bros.

1-1: Very good, the hop up to the clouds while ducking is a nice highlight.

1-2: Flawless to my eye.

1-F: Mostly fantastic, though Mario could have theoretically made it through that one narrow pass after the first fireballs while maintaining full momentum, correct?  But that’s a really narrow window, not much momentum is lost, and the rest is great.

1-5: Think a second or second and a half could be saved, but very good.

1-6: Don’t see any obvious mistakes.

1-H: Star get is nice, almost right as the chest appears.

1-C: Boss goes down very fast.

2-1: Impressive.

2-2: Ugh, that’s pretty ugly, a nasty fall into the water near the end.  Recovery is decent, but not mind-blowing. (Major issue #1)

2-F: Excellent.

2-H: Not a great treasure chest grab here, oops.  Couple seconds out the window.

2-3: Delightful.

2-Angry Sun: Sweet!

2-5: Very impressed with the small vertical gain in height on the jump just after gaining full forward momentum to go under the goomba (just before jumping on the koopa troopa).

2-Pyramid: Well-executed.  Feels like a second or two more could be squeezed from this level, but very nice.

2-H2: Back to your standard good treasure grab.

2-C: Very pretty on the final hit on the Koopa kid.

3-1: Pretty darn good.

3-2: Oh, that was such a pleasure to watch, really sweet jumps.

3-3: Highlight reel continues, masterful.

3-F: Grass is green, sky is blue, Boom Boom owned.  Nice job.

3-4: That’s real purdy (pretty).

3-8: Good.

3-9: Great.  Nailed getting into the pipe at the end.

3-C: About the equal of the first two boss fights.  Great duck jump under the first ring from Wendy for first hit.  Great second hit on the bounce off the wall.  Third hit could have been a little sooner but caution understandable.

4-1: Really good.

4-2: Ooof, a bad fall.  Rough, but the fish bounce to preserve “P” is a nice back-up.  (Major issue #2)

4-H: Nice.

4-3: Seriously skipped back so quickly to watch that whole level again immediately after the first viewing ‘cause of how much ass it kicked.  My favorite part of the run thus far.

4-F: The awesome continues.

4-4: HEARTBREAKING failure to reach ledge on jump off Lakitu at start, oh my that’s not good.  Going into the pipe at end not as good as usual either, though some of the swimming in mid-level is impressive.  The lowlight of the run to this point, for sure.  (Major issue #3)

4-H2: Yessir.  Not quite as good as first hammer bro on this world for chest grab.

4-H3: That was good.

4-6: Filthy.  Gorgeous.

4-F2: Think there were a couple momentum stoppages there not on purpose, but still very fun to watch.

4-C: Solid boss fight.  Really appreciate the entertainment value in some of the auto-scroller there.

5-1: Oopsie on hit back into small Mario (I believe), but I don’t know if that matters since it might have been planned to happen sooner or later anyway, and the rest of it is nice.

5-2: Really good.

5-F: A joy to behold.

5-H: Cool!

5-H2: All righty, collecting the P-wing for later.

5-F: hmmm, missed the jump into the second pipe?  Looks pretty tough, though.  Oohhh, and the second-to-last pipe as well.

5-4: That’s sooooo fun to watch.

5-5: More of the same awesome.

5-H3: Cool!  “Just playing” jump off the lower brick around and up to the top row is so smooth too.

5-7: Ohhhhh, a really critical loss of momentum in the last part of the level.  Losing the “P” was not good, but not clearing the gun/turret really made this a harsh one, perhaps the worst mistake yet. (Major issue #4)

5-F2: Fantastic.

5-8: Great, and heart pounding for “not star” at the card collect.

5-C: Another great boss fight.

Map interlude: Whoops, messed up the pipe entrance before breaking the rock on the map, but minimal time loss.

6-H: Nice job with them hammer bros.

6-F: Missed bringing the star out on the first pass, but seeing it used to kill Boom Boom is a treat.

6-4: Really good.

6-H2: As good as always.

6-5: SICK!  You break the upper brick in that row with your tail, and THEN you make it over that turtle shell right after it breaks all the bricks, incredible skill, positioning, and timing.  Holy eff, that might have been the best single moment of the run, even if 4-3 still tops my list.  (First use of P-wing on this level.)

6-F2: OMG, a great use of the tail to fly under, never considered there would be enough room for momentum there.  Like the damage absorption for the penultimate Thwomp, and Boom Boom stomped incredibly fast, greatness, greatness.

6-8: The bounce off the enemy going into the pit is just the highlight in another study in the joy of precision jumping and sheer forward momentum.

6-9: Obvious level choice for a speed run, the little float over the final ice block right before hitting the ground is nice.

6-F3: Ohhhh, didn’t pull off the jump just before the first doorway, lost serious momentum. (Major issue #5)

6-C: Wow, masterful riding of the balls there…err, that doesn’t sound right.  But great job on the boss!

7-1: Cool!  I don’t know what your typical failure rate is for that trick, but awesome.

7-2: I’m pretty astonished by what I just saw.  Really clever use of P-wing, slightly messed up ending going down pipes.

7-3: Oh wow, what deft jumps!  Threading the needle with small Mario.

7-F: P-wing usage = one dead level.

7-6: Another “have to choose this level and use P-wing for a speed run” level.

7-7: A picture-perfect 7-7, one of my favorite levels in the game.

7-9: Man, the lag on that one part near the top-left corner of the level is rough.  This level seems like it could be done a bit faster, but has a lot of room for error with all the turning and brick-grabbing, and all of the vertical jumps through narrow gaps are nailed (including one at full speed), so a good job all in all.

7-C: Haha, the rapid-fire fireball hijinx increasing in tempo is appreciated.  As solid as all the boss fights are.

8-Tank: Some cute horsing around in the auto-scroller and the hammer bro kill and chest collect are as fast as possible.

8-Tank2: Duck under big cannon is nice trick during the long wait.  Boom Boom dead dead.

8-Hand1: A little mishap with jumping up through the bricks and such after the second Hammer Bros. species is killed, but solid.

8-Hand2: Cake.

8-Airship: Mostly work, but still a little play during the fast auto-scroller.  Boom Boom ain’t nothin’ with fire balls.

8-1: Wow, that’s awesome, the duck timing followed by the perfect momentum/enemy usage shortly after the star runs out.

8-2: I’m so spoiled by this run: I expect it to be glorious and it is.

8-F: Very clutch run of this level with everything on the line and the last significant error a distant memory.

8-Tank3: Nothing goes wrong.

8-Finale: Don’t think the vertical trip up to the 1-up before the duck/wall-clip went too well, but no biggie.  Getting down IN FRONT of the last fireball to get to the doorway fast is SO awesome with the Hammer suit on and the whole run at stake.  Bowser no contest.  Hooray for everything!

Quote:
To start, I want to say that I'm glad Mitch is still submitting.  I've gotten most of my strategies from him and I enjoyed his last SMB3 speedrun greatly.

On to the submissions:

7-5 IL

- Sick sick sick!!! Awesome route, Mitch!  My favorite route to be sure in this game -- I'll definitely be stealing this in my 100% route!
- The clever use of koopa shells to A) get the early powerup, B) clear the bob-ombs, and C) to clever bypass the last block puzzle is a joy to watch.
- ACCEPT

2-Pyramid IL

- Very good.  For the other verifiers the little wall bump at the beginning is necessary to just get p-speed for the level, as well as not jump into the beetle's face
- Good at the very end, regains p-speed very quickly after going underneath the bricks.
- ACCEPT

Warpless

Overall, this is a good run and an improvement over the last one.  It has its mistakes, some egregious, but overall I think the run's an acceptable improvement to SDA, so on to the notes.  They are organized by notable levels with notes and any time lost.  Keep in mind, this run is excellent, but these notes are information and to give an idea of how it can be improved in the future:

F - Minifortress
B - Hammer Bros.
A - Airship
H - Hand
X - Misc. Notes

1-F - Hit the wall with the stairs before the first rotodisc, ~1s Tongue
1-5 - Missed piranha skip at the end (you can duck jump and thread the gap), ~1s

2-2 - Fell into water, first egregious mistake, ~6s
2-F - Awesome small-mario strategy for this.  It's actually pretty difficult to get this consistently without a lot of practice.  Good job, Mitch!
2-B - Box on wrong side, just means that runner was too early in running toward it, ~2s
2-X - There's a low RNG chance of the Boomerang Bros. carrying the hammer to be in front of 2-3.  This would have skipped 2-3 and Angry Sun, but isn't worth resetting for in a run.

3-2 - Took an intentional hit at the end.
3-F1- Good route, didn't run into a wall
3-X - Uses music box to skip both Hammer Bros. (part of route)

4-1 - Good p-speed route, something I should be practicing myself... ^^
4-2 - Falls into water, but keeps p-speed!, ~5s
4-F1- Second-fastest strategy for last part, good for safety.  It's possible to thread the gap at the last thwomp and avoid waiting for it to cycle, but it's not worth it and saves only 3-4 seconds.
4-4 - Fell into water at beginning, egregious mistake, ~8s over a successful route where you run along the top, get p-speed and take a flying leap!
4-F2- Good fast route, getting p-speed at the beginning and maintaining it.  The bumping of the wall is unavoidable as you juuuuust make it under the low ceiling by using that Dry Bone.

5-1 - Got hit near midway, ~1s
5-B - This is an example of the best Hammer Bros. pattern you can get.
5-T - Missed second and last pipes in the tower structure, 1s
5-7 - Big fumble, 4s

6-F1- Fumble at end w/ star, 4s
6-5 - Good, good p-wing route, well-executed!
6-8 - Good route, avoids lag by killing enemies w/ star
6-F3- Got hit at the end, lost speed, 3s
6-A - You juggler!  I always mess up and get hit by those balls that way, heh!

7-1 - 5th attempt wall-skip.  This wall-skip is pretty much fine muscle memory.  As such, it's always possible to not be "in the zone" and miss it a couple of times, 9s
7-2 - Good p-wing strategy, 1s at end by hitting pipe
7-3 - Missed p-speed at beginning.  If you didn't notice, he missed getting p-speed at the beginning, which messed him up for the first half.  He recovered part-way through, though, ~5s
7-9 - Good start, that para-goomba can hit you some times, so that's a risky strategy.  Lag at beginning that could have been "mitch"-igated by throwing the white block to the right, instead of forward, 3s

8-X - First hand (also, ill-prepared for the level), 21s over heavy RNG-dependent "no-hands".  As far as this level, this was not done so well and could have been sped up by getting p-speed at the beginning, 21s
8-X - Second hand, 17s over no-hands
8-1 - Good level, got the p-speed which I have to accomplish, *sigh*
8-2 - Good level, uses the awesomeness fireball strategy!
8-F - Good level, got the optimal route

- All bosses are well done. 
Bowser's Castle! - Uses Hammer Bros. suit strat, lost time at stairs, 3s.  Ok, I've been comparing the route you've taken to the route that the currently TAS uses (minus the star and wall jump) where you go into the first room, kill the thwomp, wait for the dry bones to boost you up (or try a wall jump while waiting, just a 3 sec. wait) then do the wall clip into the same chamber before Bowser's room.  I got to that chamber in ~12 seconds, and Mitch ~22 seconds.  I think an extra 10 seconds can be saved by the route change, but of course it adds the pressure of getting the wall clip within 1/2 tries to save time. ~15

So overall, I believe 53 seconds can be shaved on Mitch's route alone with the same hands, 1:31 with no hands, and 2:58 if you get the perfect Boomerang Bros. luck on World 2 to skip two levels.

Although improvable, this run is overall well-done.  The runner is very consistent, even in late-game strategies that could easily end in death.  Good job, Mitch, and as always, thanks for the level strategies. Smiley

I ACCEPT!

Quote from Verifier 1:
Ohhhhhh!  My apologies, here are the other two verifications!

7-5: Oh wow, the precision with the "turtle shell off wall to use it as a trampoline" trick in both places is amazing--that first shell gets used a few different ways!  Add to that the insta-clip of the wall and the mid-damage-state bounce off the winged troopa, and this is just outstanding.  ACCEPT!

2-Pyramid: Hard to imagine it getting better than that, really.  ACCEPT!

ETA: Keee-hrist, how did I miss those other ones?

4-F1: Oh wow, that last Thwomp evade is out of this world.

4-6: Sweeeeeet.  Particularly the hop over the plant near the start.

2-4: Wow, not one tap to the left or any slowing down, I don't think, all momentum to the right all the time.

6-8: Loved this level in the warpless run, love it here too (enemy falling into pit jump is cool).

6-F3: The evasion of the enemies in the first part is just great.

8-1: Dance around the plant, then full steam to the finish via some bounces.  Very nice to see this without the star for the start.

4-2: Perfection: the jump landing right in front of the pipe at the end, so nice.

7-1: Cool trick and seemingly pulled off ASAP!  P-buildup in the small space is nice.

7-2: Great P-buildup again, love the "ole!" moment with the enemy at the start when you turn around, and the jumping thereafter is magnificent.

7-7: Take that, programmers!

If it's not obvious, these all get the same ACCEPT as the others!

Quote:
There are quite a few in the video that starts with 2-Pyramid.

Anyway as far as all the videos go, A/V is fine. There isn't much I can say that hasn't been said already. 7-5 is insane, and the pyramid is very well done, I have no problem accepting them.

As for the warpless I have it at 55:00 from Mario control - Bowser's door. Rather then do level-by-level I'll just mention what stood out for me. In 4-4 the runner missed a jump that could have saved a bit of time, but probably didn't lose too much time over not trying in the first place. 5-7 stood out as a huge wince when I first watched it, but going over it again it doesn't appear as bad as before, a messed up jump cost time, but the runner did well in not letting it ruin the run. The last thing I remember from watching the run was the item usage, throughout the run several hammer bros are fought and in the end the only items left are the whistle from 1-F and the two leaves from the hands, so the runner didn't waste any of Peach's rewards, nor waste any overworld enemies fight.

This run is a clear accept, I think the recoveries show the skill of the runner more then the tricks pulled off.

I also just want to add the 4-F IL (Second in the 2-Pyramid IL video) is insane, probably my favorite IL in that video.

Quote:
Okay, I'm just going to throw this out there.

Audio/visual is fine.  No game genie detected.

I'd go into more detail, but I'm pretty sick right now and I realize I'm the only one left.  I don't want to hold this up, so I'll say this is a sparkling improvement.  Getting the Hammer bros suit first try alone is epic.  Wink  One thing I will do is encourage the runner.  He mentions, again, that he feels this run is unimproveable.  It is a great run, but the first rule of speed running is that it can always be done faster.  This runner definitely has the skill for it.  So if you stop, don't let it be because you don't think you can, because I'm sure you're more than able.  Anyway, I totally ACCEPT.  This is a very enjoyable run to be sure.

And for the IL improvements, ACCEPT all around.  I don't think it's been mentioned, but 7-5 is uber sexy.  Check it out.

Quote:
This is a total accept!

Decision: Accept 'em all!

Congratulations to Mitchell Fowler!
Thread title:  
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Whoot, I'm first =D
Congratulations to the runner, looking forward to seeing this ^___^
LG
thanks alot guys! any questions just ask Smiley
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Nice work! looking forward  to watching these.
Edit history:
Manocheese: 2012-08-16 12:28:35 am
Manocheese: 2012-08-16 12:19:34 am
Yes, a cucco riding the ground.
Great runs. The SS was smooth in all but a few places, which is hard in a game like this. The ILs all looked pretty optimized. 6-9, 7-5, and 7-9 were my favorites.

Also, there are two videos of 7-5 in the torrent.
#Casual
Great job, Mitch!
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Quote from Manocheese:
Also, there are two videos of 7-5 in the torrent.

That's because you need to watch that shell boost twice...
LG
more stuff to come Smiley