Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Mario64.html

0 Star SS run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Video Quality: No issues.
Cheating: None.

Notes:

Skippy Skip -- yes
Pillar Glitch -- Clean execution. Second fastest method by a few frames.
8 Star blj/pillar blj -- First try. No hesitation. Minimum time wasted during movement itself. Doesn't trigger the 8 star door's text.
BitDW -- Hesitates at the end. Otherwise very clean.
Bowser 1 -- No mistakes
BitDW reentry -- No idea why the runner crouches. Doesn't affect time, other than making it obvious that he was a little late in pausing.
Lobby->Basement key door -- clean
0 star blj -- Second try. Lost about 10 seconds.
BitFS -- Missed an elevator cycle. Not that it's easy to get. Given that it used to be considered impossible without the pole glitch, I'm willing to say no time was lost here. Everything after elevators was clean.
Bowser 2 -- Clean
DDD escape -- clean. obviously.
Lobby->upstairs key door -- Of course there isn't a mistake here.
Stair skip -- Good
50 star blj -- First try. One air blj.
50 star door -> 70 star door -- no time lost.
endless blj -- first try. 2 air bljs.
BitS -- Somewhat conservative. Ignoring the triple jump wall kick because it's not reliable, I'd say no more than 5 seconds lost here.
Final Bowser -- For all intents and purposes, perfect fight. No time wasted grabbing final star.

General Note -- No time lost scrolling through text. The failed 0 star blj is disappointing because he was very close to getting it.

Time: 6'42"30 from gaining control until touching the final star.

Decision: Accept. Still room for improvement since there was some conservative play, but that's the reason we actually have this run.

Quote:
Video Quality: No issues.
Cheating: No cheating going on here.

Skippy skip, glitching into the pillar and the Lobby Blj are all performed well.

BitDW: Was a solid run of the stage, losing only a couple of seconds at the end because of a small mistake.

It takes two tries to get the 0 star blj but it does not waste much time.

BitFS: Did not get the early elevator cycle because of ledge grabbing after the triple jump wall kicks. Otherwise a normal run of the stage with no time lost

The Bljs to the sky are pretty much the best bljs you could hope for in a run.

BitS: The runner opts out of performing the triple jump wall kick because the run is pretty much over if you miss, i would've also skipped out on this trick.
Small mistake when trying to get on the pole which wastes a few seconds.

I timed this at 6:42

Decision: Accept. An overall solid and is also the WR for 0/1 star.

Quote:
Super Mario 64 Speedrun SS(0 stars)

Lakitu skip:
Perfect

Pillar glitch:
In a non-tas Speedrun, you did a near perfect performance on this one congratulation!!!

Bowser in the dark world:
Nice overall,  could be improved by a second or two.

Stair glitch:
Disappoint with the point that you miss it once. But nice anyway.

Bowser in the fire sea:
pretty nice overall, even use the way on the left ledge aside the lava near the end, good job.

Other glitches:
Look nice and well performed.

Bowser in space:
Good job but there’s a difficult way(but can be achieve in a six minutes Speedrun Tongue ) to jump in the beginning (6:10) to save a considerable amount of time, but need a wall jump. After a couple of tests, it can be achieve in a non-TAS speedrun.

A/V: very nice
Cheating: absolutely not

Overall: I’m pretty satisfied a little bit of time could have been saved in some places but a non-conciderable amount. In my opinion, it's a very nice run and like some verifier said earlier(New Record)

Decision: accept

1:06-7:48(final time: 6:42)

Congratulation!!!

Quote:
Video Quality: Good, no issues noticed.
Cheating: None

Notes:
Lakitu Skip is executed properly.
The Pillar Entrance was fast and efficient. No mistakes there. BLJ was fine as well, but that's expected.
BiTW was well executed, although as stated by others, there is some small room for improvement.
The Stair BLJ wasn't made on the first try, but  it appeared that no more than 15 seconds was lost(including the setup of the first attempt as well).
BitFS was played well, no major issues here.
50 Star Door BLJ was well executed.
70 Star Door BLJ was well executed as well.
BitS was well played, although as mentioned, the triple jump kick wasn't used. Also, the runner did miss the pole, but only a few seconds were lost.

Even with the minor mistakes and flaws, I was thoroughly entertained by the execution and this still was a good run.

Timing: 6:42

Decision: Accept

Quote:
Decision: there are enough accepts that my decision doesn't matter, but accept. This is tight and well done enough that there's no way it could be rejected, it destroys the 16-star run and contains no run-ruining errors. The bowser battles are executed superb. The glitches are done without wasting more than a few seconds. There were a few small improvable spots. Much luck was involved and much more luck will be involved to top it.

My understanding is that the basement BLJ "attempt" is always going to look like this on a 0-star run. The runner is attempting the easier 1-star run, and when the stair BLJ is attempted, if it is failed on the first try as seen here, then he goes for the 0-star BLJ that builds speed against the wall after starting on the stairs. From what it looks like, what I have heard, and my own play (live and emulator testing), even doing it the way it happens here in this run, there is a minutely small chance of actually getting thorugh DDD, and it's very much lucky that it happened how it did. If I am mistaken then we can expect a run that bests this one by 15 seconds to appear in a month or two. This run is still totally SDA-worthy. I couldn't have asked for more overall to go right in a human-executed run. It's unfortunate that the first cycle of the BitFS 2nd level platform is so hard to make, unfortuate a few seconds were lost setting up the 50- and 70-star BLJs, and then again in the 3rd bowser level, but do remember that it is a human playing the game. IMO the lobby BLJ turn method can only be beaten in speed by intrudocing a large luck factor into the act of turning around once stuck behind the entrance doors after leaving the pillar. IMO the setup for the basement BLJ is shown in this run as fast as it can be done reliably. Obsoleting the 16-star run has been some time overdue now.

Quote:
Video/audio quality: Good.
Cheating: Nope.

Lakitu skip: Nice.
Pillar glitch: Very impressive to execute that glitch even on the first try. Smiley
BitDW: It went solid. Although it seems you could've still made it though without stopping short near the end.
Stair BLJ to BitFS: You could've saved some time if you didn't miss the glitch on the first try. But on the second try, it was good.
BitFS: Very nice, despite the elevator cycle miss.
Stair glitch through 50-Star Door/70-Star Door: Good.
BitS: It's possible to triple jump kick up from the yellow platforms onto the gray trail. Being a VERY risky move to pull, enough practice would've got the job done. Also, you missed the pole which costed you a few seconds as the others stated.

Overall, all the Bowser fights went nicely. Could this be improved? Yes. But aside from all that, it was a great treat to finally see a non-TAS 0-star run for once. Congrats!

Time: 6:42

Decision: Accept. Now what power of the Stars is restored...?

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'Funila!'
Thread title:  
:O Can't WAIT to see this!
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
that's right kids!  SDA will soon have a run where there are no stars at all...

Well Funila, we have you to thank for that... Congrats!
Really nice. Congrats!
Yes, a cucco riding the ground.
Well done! I look forward to seeing this run on the site.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Impressive! Definitely gonna check this out.
Visit my profile to see my runs!
Holy balls, seriously?  God I'm such a dinosaur.  The last thing I remember hearing about 0 star runs was that they were nearly impossible to achieve, non-TAS.  Ahhh.  A little thing called human endeavor.  The wonders it can do.

Super pumped.
I think the way that it works is that when you're trying to get the 1 star glitch, if you're lucky, you'll go right through the entry to DDD too and be in position to do a 0-star run from there. So if someone's trying a 1-star speedrun and just happens to get the 0-star glitch, they're going to continue from there; after all, what do they have to lose?

I have no idea what the success rate is like nowadays when deliberately going for 0 stars in particular. (I wouldn't be surprised if it had improved from a couple of years ago, though.)
torch slug since 2006
congrats funilla!
Nice, can't wait to see it! Way to go Funilla
we have lift off
For those interested the video is on youtube

Does this definitely obsolete the 16 star run? Meaning the categories are 0, 70 and 120 star?
DS Dictator
Quote:
Does this definitely obsolete the 16 star run? Meaning the categories are 0, 70 and 120 star?

Pretty much yeah, 0 is the new glitch any%, 70 is still the non-glitch any% while 120 is still the 100% run.
Yes, a cucco riding the ground.
I agree that there shouldn't be a separate category for 16-star. There should just be any% (0-star), any% without major skips (70-star), and 100% (120-star).
I don't see how 120 star is 100% if you don't press the metal cap button.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
I remember talking to a lot of the mario 64 runners in the past and they wanted 0-star, 16-star, 70-star, and 120-star as categories, which does run counter to most games on SDA, but I don't really care if there is an extra category for 16-star.

Also, if anyone argues for 1 and 0-stars being separate categories, no, just no.
Claimh Happy
Quote from ais523:
I think the way that it works is that when you're trying to get the 1 star glitch, if you're lucky, you'll go right through the entry to DDD too and be in position to do a 0-star run from there. So if someone's trying a 1-star speedrun and just happens to get the 0-star glitch, they're going to continue from there; after all, what do they have to lose?

I have no idea what the success rate is like nowadays when deliberately going for 0 stars in particular. (I wouldn't be surprised if it had improved from a couple of years ago, though.)

This is no longer the case. There is now a method which allows for a somewhat reliable DDD skip, using the pillar to stay away from the door while building up speed and using the door's text to redirect that speed towards the level.
Catchin' them all
Wow, awesome. I haven't really been following SM64 lately, but I remember trying this a lot and I just couldn't get it to work. Sad

I'll watch this in a bit, but congrats, Funila! Smiley
Remember your mantra.
Quote from mikwuyma:
I remember talking to a lot of the mario 64 runners in the past and they wanted 0-star, 16-star, 70-star, and 120-star as categories, which does run counter to most games on SDA, but I don't really care if there is an extra category for 16-star.

Also, if anyone argues for 1 and 0-stars being separate categories, no, just no.

Agreed.

The 16-star runs provide interesting variation in rout building, as well as plenty of individual planning possibilities to make each different run as stylish and personal as the runner themself. They've also always been my favorite to watch, as neat and glitchy as this run as.

That being said, congrats Funila!
hi
I like the 16 star runs. It has all the fast stars. All the stars in WF and the basement are basically the fast stars.
A 16-star category seems kind of weird to me as it doesn't really follow any meaningful definition like "any%".  If the lobby BLJ was discovered after the basement skip we would have had 8-9 star runs between the 16-star runs and the 0-1 star runs.

Still I don't feel strongly on the subject and having a 14 minute category is a pretty good length for entertainment.  I'm just wondering if that poorly defined category will be neglected by runners going forward.
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from Asty:
A 16-star category seems kind of weird to me as it doesn't really follow any meaningful definition like "any%".  If the lobby BLJ was discovered after the basement skip we would have had 8-9 star runs between the 16-star runs and the 0-1 star runs.

Still I don't feel strongly on the subject and having a 14 minute category is a pretty good length for entertainment.  I'm just wondering if that poorly defined category will be neglected by runners going forward.

The whole reason for the 16 star run was that it wasn't an any%, but a low%.  So yes, if the lowest became 8 or 9 stars, that would be the low% run.  So 0 stars will obsolete 16 stars, for the very reason I mentioned.

Is it poorly defined?  Maybe it should be called "Low%" instead of "0 stars".  But it's still at the same time very clear what the goal is - beat the game while getting no stars.
Oddworld Speedrun Master!
The run is not on the game page yet.
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from Samlaptop:
The run is not on the game page yet.

Of course it isn't.  I'm answering the question by Asty.
I've been a bit out of the loop on this game. This should be fun to watch.
Edit history:
Patrick: 2012-03-03 05:27:44 am
The new run (2012-02-18) is uploaded here:
Funila ~ SM64 - 0 star run - 7'33"30
:-)