Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Mario64.html

Philip 'akat0ra' Jensen's PAL version single-segment 16-star run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Quality (Capture)
Either the runner had poor capture quality or SDA is sending out LQ verification copies.
The sound is also only coming out of the left speaker and not the right one.

Quality (Gameplay)
The runner gets the same stars in as the NTSC 16 star speedrun, but uses some different strategies and routes, and changes the order up a little. None of the stars are gathered quicker than in the other speedrun, but then again, that one is a hard act to follow.
The first real mistake happens in Board Bowser’s Sub when the runner is jumping across the submarine deck and bumps into the fin out of nowhere. The only other noticeable one is actually kind of funny, mostly because it happens after Bowser is defeated for the final time, but it’s nothing to costly.

Timing
Mario first moves at 6260 (04:10.400)
Final star grabbed at 38419 (25:36.760)
Overall time: 21:26.360
PAL adjustment: 17:47 (I think)

Importance
I realize that PAL runs at 5/6 the speed NTSC does, but I had no idea that it was THIS slow. Maybe it’s just this game, but it almost seems that even though it’s a difference between 29.97 fps and 25 fps, there are huge spots of lag. The time difference seems to only be 16 seconds, but it seems like it should be more. Maybe I crunched the numbers wrong. Regardless, this is a pretty good run for what has to be accomplished. I see no reason to reject it.
And in case it wasn’t obvious, you need to tell nate to trim off the first three minutes (exactly!). They are rather entertaining, but still...

Quote:
Really not much to say about this run. My problems were more with technical issues (the video quality seemed low, audio seemed SLIGHTLY desynced), but the run itself was fantastic. For this route, the only really obvious mistakes I saw were in Dire Dire Docks, and those didn't cost much time at all. Definitely accept it!

Quote:
The first three minutes and three seconds are an unrelated run and Lakitu-related aborted attempts, so can be chopped off for the final run. Despite the runner's doubts in the comments, if my not-frame-perfect timing is correct, it is actually sub-22 (I clocked it at 21:27 from the first dialogue box to the last star).

Everything's synched and there weren't any cheats.

It's significantly improved over the other run, thanks to quicker strategies on most levels, less mistakes and more fluid play in general (the Dark World and Cool Cool Mountain are particularly well played). The glitches are done quickly and overall it's a great run. Accept.

Quote:
Audio: It's only on the left side. Not a huge deal, just needs to be mirrored to the right channel.

Video: I'm assuming it looks like crap because it's the verification quality render. If so, then no problem. Read: Tons of artifcating and blocking, what typically goes along with compressing down to a low quality file.

Gameplay: I'm assuming those failures and time deleting the files at the beginning will be cut. Takes him four tries to get the Lakitu skip.

Did this game always have that much time on the white screens when loading the worlds? I never remembered it taking that long...does the N64 memory expansion have an effect on this, or is just the PAL version looking slow like usual? Yeah, it's probably that. Don't mind me.

Star 1: Definitely faster than using the bomb explosion to go through the gate.

Star 2: Pretty standard stuff.

Star 3: No problems.

Star 4: Isn't it possible to aim it just perfectly to get the star right after hitting the wall? Regardless, it's still pretty much optimal.

Star 5: Just how I always remembered it.

Star 6: Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Star 7: Practically TASd.

Star 8: OMFG PENGUINS

Bowser 1: Pwn'd.

Star 9: So close, just barely misses the last jump to the star.

Star 10: Flawless.

Star 11: Proof that bullies never win.

Star 12: Almost too easy.

Star 13: Mushroom mushroom mushroom mushroom mushroom mushroom mushroom mushroom mushroom mushroom mushroom mushroom POWER STAR POWER STAR

Star 14: My favorite level. Slightly slow, misses the jump to the star, though it's tough due to the camera being slow.

Star 15: Yes.

MIPS door skips to Star 16: Beautiful.

Star 16: Good job running into the thing on the top of the sub.

Bowser 2: Feels like he jumps into the lava a bit early, but otherwise okay.

Basement to Bowser 3: Both stair skips accomplished no problem.

Bowser 3: Seemed a bit slow on the last rotating platform sets. Misses yet another jump, this one to Bowser's Star.

Overall: I don't really like the glaring mistakes, but it's a significant improvement over the very old current PAL run. Therefore...

Verdict: Accept.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a fine complement to the current 16-star run.
Thread title:  
It's a BIG HEAD!
Quote:
Star 13: Mushroom mushroom mushroom mushroom mushroom mushroom mushroom mushroom mushroom mushroom mushroom mushroom POWER STAR POWER STAR

You nearly choked me. Anywho, I've been playing the DS version, and it's just boring without Stair Skips and all other neat stuff, and Long Jumping is harder to do. Update this one for me, so I can watch PAL.

An' other thing: WTF with this shitload of verified runs? xD
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from Baron Dante:
An' other thing: WTF with this shitload of verified runs? xD

To make up for the fact that there's been very few others this month.
It's just when Mike is ready to post them all up instead of a couple at a time. Look back at June 5th, he did the same thing.
Willing to teach you the impossible
Quote from Baron Dante:
[An' other thing: WTF with this shitload of verified runs? xD

I think it might be easier for him to do it this way. Either way, I am super happy anytime new topics show up on this thread. Good reads.
It's a BIG HEAD!
I know. I just shocked at the overdose.