Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
SDAVerification: 2014-05-22 10:34:15 pm
UraniumAnchor: 2014-05-17 07:12:04 am
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Super Godzilla (Any %) (Single Segment)

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Wesley 'Molotov' Corron!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Super Godzilla (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/SuperGodzilla-4400-VerificationCopy.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by May 10, 2014.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
Edit history:
Elipsis: 2014-05-15 04:34:53 pm
What the hell did I just sit through?

Okay so I once got really drunk and watched my roommate try to play this terrible game, so I guess that makes me qualified for verification.  And we're well past the deadline and nobody wants to fucking touch this, so whatever why not.

A/v is fine.

Stage 1 - Ghidorah

Well... you somehow managed to go straight to the monster, so that's kind of awesome.  I remember the game telling him that he couldn't go that way and forcing him to turn around over and over.  I have no idea why.  You didn't have that happen so that's about as fast as you can get to him, I would assume.

Ghidorah didn't actually get a chance to use any moves, so I'm guessing this stage was pretty close to optimal?

Stage 2 - Mouth Godzilla, or whatever the M stands for

I noticed you used an escape on one of the UFO ship fights.  Was that part of the strat?  It seemed like you just went back into the fight after.

You somehow managed to have M. Godzilla never attack, even though it seems you spent a lot of time waiting around to get your one attack that does damage.  (He's invulnerable to most of them, if I recall?)  I have no idea what you did to make him just stand there but hey it was probably the fastest the fight could have gone.  So... again, I think that's a pretty good stage.

Stage 3 - Biollante

I have never seen anybody get this far.  I guess you punched over the correct power lines which was awesome.  This is the first time that you refuel godzilla's energy meter.  Was this necessary?  (It does waste a few seconds.)

The UFOs seem like random encounters (they weren't on the radar?)  I have no idea what's going on in this stage but you do find the enemy pretty quickly.

I'm unsure after that.  You punched Biollante and then ran away?  But then you punched him immediately again so what's the point of the escape?  Again I don't know what the fuck I'm watching but if you can explain to me why it's the optimal strat I'll probably believe you.

The second time you fight Biollante you seem to be using your big moves... and he again seems to be doing nothing so that's pretty helpful to the run.

Stage 4 - Battrah

You took the time to collect some yellow things.  I hope that they were helpful to you later because it took an extra few seconds to grab them.

It looks like you had to take a ton of damage to cross the water and fight this stupid thing.  That's cool though because then you got to use the pickups that you grabbed and that sort of makes sense for why you went to grab them... but then as before the monster never hit you or really tried to do anything from what I could tell... so maybe you didn't even need it.  I feel like this stage could have been done a little bit faster.  I think?

Stage 5 - Meatsack Ghidorah

Picking up those S things seemed to take a lot of time, but I think that's what turned you into Super Godzilla so I assume that that was necessary for completion? 

The M. Ghidorah fight is some kind of ridiculous corner rape that seems to be much more efficient than the previous fights with Regular-Ass Godzilla.

Stage 6 - Bagan

No corner rape this time?  That's too bad because that was super fast...  not that I didn't enjoy seeing Super Godzilla use his moveset (over and over again) - but I guess you had a good reason why the corner thing won't work here?  Here there was a huge surprise as Bagan actually got a single offensive move off.  I assume this could have been prevented by whatever magic has been employed throughout the previous 5 stages?  Even still, he went down in a relatively timely fashion.

Conclusion

I have no idea why you did this.  I feel like there were some minor things that could have been improved, but I also might not know what the fuck I'm talking about.  Even with the criticisms, this is definitely a speedrun.  It looks good to me, especially given that my own experience with this game has been that it's completely incomprehensible.

For the time being I'm going to suggest an accept, though I would feel more confident about that if I had some feedback from the runner.  And to be perfectly honest I hope this run is never improved on because I never want to fucking see this game again.

Quote:
What the hell did I just sit through?

Okay so I once got really drunk and watched my roommate try to play this terrible game, so I guess that makes me qualified for verification.  And we're well past the deadline and nobody wants to fucking touch this, so whatever why not.

Yeah, I can somewhat understand that reaction. I'm such a big fan of Godzilla that I'm willing to overlook a lot of flaws, but it's actually decent when you understand the mechanics. Until you do though, it's a pretty miserable experience. I tried to explain the mechanics in my comments, since I figured most people don't know (or won't bother learning) them.

Anyway, I'll respond to some of your concerns:

Stage 1: The "turn around" comments happen when you either try to move out of bounds or into a very large object (skyscraper, in this stage). He won't knock large objects down, so they serve as barriers on the map. Locking down King Ghidorah that way is the best method I could find, because I don't see how you can quickly build up power against him. I tried, but his meter just doesn't leave the openings you'd need.

Stage 2: Escaping from the little UFO is intentional. Little UFOs are random encounters and if you escape from one, you'll re-encounter it within a few tiles until you destroy it. Destroying the UFO mothership removes the little UFO encounters and you need to do that to be able to fight Mechagodzilla. Since I encountered the second little UFO so close to the mothership tile, it was faster to run from it. It wouldn't have time to chase me, because I'd already be fighting the mothership.

The waiting for Mechagodzilla was intentional. With the way the game works, charging in blindly will usually cause the enemy to attack you a lot. I only moved in when its power level was dropping, because that was the safe point in the pattern. Doing this from a long distance built up Godzilla's power level for a hyper fire breath attack (the strongest he has). It's possible to kill Mechagodzilla with tail whips and headbutts, but in my tests, that ended up slower than fighting carefully. It also removed some randomness, because if you spam tail whips and headbutts, Mechagodzilla can kill you (or waste a lot of time) by using his counter tackle repeatedly. He has a chance to use it after any special you use, so you'd give it plenty of opportunities when you're only doing about 20-30 damage per hit. (Also, Mechagodzilla only reflects normal fire breath.)

Stage 3: Biollante won't appear unless you find the lab the professor is in, which is random. The refueling was automatic after rescuing the professor. The Biollante fight (part 1) is for setting up a glitch. If you destroy only the feeler in the back from when it appears, you'll confuse the game and Biollante can't do anything from then on. You need to escape after destroying that feeler though, or else the front feeler will still be able to move (and it will block you). Once you re-enter the fight, the fastest strategy is to use hyper fire breath repeatedly.

Stage 4: I'll admit that some of the items I grabbed weren't useful. The HP item was for safety after the long trip across the mines. The red orbs were also for safety, but they help make the fight go faster too. The only thing you can hit Battra with is hyper fire breath, so anything to increase my power level gain is really nice to have. The invincibility powerup wasn't necessary or even very useful. I was actually hoping for a green orb (battle item for temporary invincibility), but eh.

Stage 5: You can beat Mecha-King Ghidorah without Super Godzilla, but the fight would be a huge struggle and it would take a long time. Regular Godzilla gets launched all the way back if he touches Mecha-King Ghidorah, but Super Godzilla hardly even flinches. That's why I was able to use that strategy.

Stage 6: Bagan is extremely aggressive and the corner strategy doesn't work at all. Bagan likes to cheat and use a special even when you're blocking (which normally prevents all enemy specials), so that's what happened at the end. It was really disappointing that had to happen, but it's honestly very lucky that it didn't happen more than that. My best guess is that he uses hit-stun to sneak one in there, because I never let off the block button and the game just didn't care. Sad
Thanks for the feedback Molotov.  You've convinced me that you know this game very well and have routed it admirably.  I was already suggesting an accept, but I do feel more confident that that's the right choice now.  That said you haven't convinced me that it isn't a terrible game - but that's not really a requirement.  Tongue
NowOwnsAFreaking Plane
Looking at the run comments and the comments made above, I have to say a few things:
Stage 1:  Routing seemed solid, went through the text fast as possible, and that King Ghidorah was very, very well done.  Good job.

Stage 2: First UFO fight was all right, M-UFO seemed all right.  For random spawns, you got kinda lucky there, I guess?  Mechagodzilla fight seems slow, but that's understandable, considering that you have to wait until the right time to attack.  Not bad, again, good job.

Stage 3:  All I can say is daaaaaaagggggooon.  6 random spawns for the Lab, and it's the good one.  That glitch on Biollante was very well done also, looks very difficult to pull off.  Very good level, even with the missed punch.  A+ there.

Stage 4: Extra items grabbed?  Ok, so you lost a few seconds there.  Considering that at stage three you have a 1 in 6 chance of getting the right spawn and not respawning, I can understand the runner being a little cautious on the next stage to avoid a death.  After all, that was a giant amount of mines, and going in with that low of energy to Battra would be a little scary.  And, you got to Battra the second time while he was still a cocoon, big timesaver there.  So, yeah, you could have saved some time, but you didn't know for sure, and it was only a few second difference anyway job.  Good job.

Stage 5:Nice route, didn't destroy too much of the city.  That M Ghidorah fight was nicely done.  Almost looks like Super Godzilla is trying to learn how to dance.

Stage 6:  Bagan went very well.  It's easy to see that you did block all of the attacks, but you still got hit once anyway just because of the game.  Besides that, final fight went very well!
Some final thoughts:  Overall, this run went very well.  Also, the A/V looked good, no signs of cheating, etc.  I remember playing this game in the hospital as a kid (they brought it in for me to help pass the time, I guess?)  I thought then that it was one of the most infuriating games ever.  To now see it run so smoothly is great.  I say accept.
Edit history:
Heidrage: 2014-05-21 06:59:11 pm
Heidrage: 2014-05-21 06:58:56 pm
Willing to teach you the impossible
Just found this thread, dling the video now.

Edit: Just finished stage 2, EASY ACCEPT, I dont need to watch the rest to know this is a great run of a super hard game.

Watched the rest, Yes, easy accept. The runner was attacked only ONCE in the entire game. That really could be the only real improvement to this run. I will say again, EASY accept.
Like CV:LoD, I should be able to get to this in the next couple of days.
Edit history:
Worn_Traveler: 2014-05-22 10:06:38 pm
Formerly known as Skullboy
A/V is fine. No cheating detected.

I've never played this game and I never heard of it until it popped up in public verification. In some ways it appears to be a combination of strategy and RPG minus the leveling system. It's an interesting concept and it kept my attention throughout the game. The six levels seem well thought out and everything looked pretty smooth in terms of execution. It's a different game for sure. I accept it.
Decision posted.
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
Time for the obligatory "Godzilla victory dance" post!

Congrats Molotov!
Impressed someone had the balls to run this. Congratulations!
Wake up and be awesome
I feel it's only fitting that I watch this run after watching the new Godzilla movie

Congrats Molotov