1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

SS Easy run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Oh yeah! another fighting game speed run!  I can't wait to see thi-

Wait, DK isn't the runner?

Well, that's alright right I suppose. We are going to see some awesom-

Easy?!  What the hell man!!!  Where's the challenge in easy!?!

*sigh*

ok, while I can easily complain that over the smallest of details, that doesn't change the verification that needs to be done. so let's get serious.

/sarcasm end

Now then, the runner selects E. Honda for the run.  Now alot of people would agree that E. Honda isn't really that great of a fighter (when compared to others in the roster), however in the run, the runner actually got in a few good hits, ending most of the fights within the 90 second marker...  However, if the runner wants us to fall for "You Win! Perfect!" he is sadly mistaken!

Now I don't expect him to get perfects in every single fight, however there was one set of fights that was hard to overlook.  While most fighters went down in 85-90 second mark, one fighter, Chung-li kicked the runner's ass quite a bit, as her fights ended around the 75-80 second mark. meanwhile another fight was Vega, now this one was understandable since Vega is an evading bastard who avoids the fighter by climbing in the background.  If this was on a higher difficulty, then this would be understandable considering that the cpu would exploit this, but on easy, you really have to question why the runner ran into such problems.

Now for the tricky part...  In one part, the run was well executed, however taking into account how bad 3 of the 24 fights went, and especially if this is on easy, that would seen inexcusable.

Verdict: The run was good, however for there to be mistakes in a run as SHORT! as this, I can't let this slide.  I've seen other runs get rejected because of simple mistakes made in a short run, including me rejecting DK's first Doom run when he did Marvel Super Heroes, and this will not be any exception, especially if he was doing his runs on normal.

Better luck next time runner, please fix these mistakes and let's see that "Perfect" run you promised us next time.

Reject...

Quote:
Ok The standard stuff:

Video - Fine other than a green video splash before the claw fight, since it's not during the action this is not a big deal.
Audio - After the green splash listed above, the audio perminantly desyncs for the rest of the video and is constantly about a second or two ahead of the video.  This is VERY noticable.
Time - I have unofficial timings of 343 in game seconds (all rounds + the timer used in the 3 bonus rounds).  For standard SDA timing  (control of character to losing control after finishing final boss) i have 10:52 estimated.

Alright, I will first come out and state that I'm not a huge fan of any speedrun played on easy difficulty, but that being said there is a place for them.  When a runner chooses easy difficulty, that means extreme optimization is expected for the duration of the game.  Since the actual difficulty of the game is toned down, the difficulty of the run is in theory also toned down, and mistakes should not be as easily forgiven.  This one of many areas that I feel this run falls short.

First off, this is a fighting game run, for a fighting game run to be up to SDA quality I feel like it needs to truly show the runners aptitude and knowledge of the games entirety.  A run of hyper fighting for SNES on easiest difficulty removes a lot of these standards.  The computer A.I. pretty mucn never blocks, and this allows a character like honda to use a very simple strategy of spamming 100 hands and getting easy stuns or chip damage into quick deaths.  The runner accomplishes this strategy solidly for the most part in the run.  However, even if every round went extremely well (ending in the high 80's in game clock range or better) I wouldn't feel great about seeing this run on SDA, it simply does not do anything to impress the viewer, the lack of blocking means no complicated reactions or dizzy to re-dizzy combos are required for this run.  All in all, it's just kind of boring to watch and doesn't stand up to the quality and optimization SDA would expect.

The breakdown of the real problems for this run: again this is the easiest difficulty of hyper fighting for Snes, the A.I. is simply put, brainless on this difficulty.  There is no reason to accept anything less than a 10ish second end to every round.  Especially with Honda who does ubsurd damage with 100 hands in this version.  Letting both Chun and Claw get away for long periods of time just don't do this run justice.  On higher difficulties where the A.I. plays much more reactionary this could be forgiven in an otherwise solid run.  On easy, the runner needs to be prepared to react and punish a fireball from chun with a jump in to stun combo, or to use a move that punishes claw for constantly backflipping.  On top of this, there  are quite a few execution errors in the run (wiffing a lot of strongs to get 100 hands to activate being the major one.  We should only ever see one wiffed normal before hands is out). 

Another minor but noticable optimization is to not break any barrels in the final bonus stage, since this will eliminate the bonus score being added to the main score.  It saves a second at most but it is something to consider.

All things considered.  I must reject this run.  The run feels boring and uninspired as a viwer due to the lack of difficulty and the complete lack of in depth street fighter strategy required to execute it.  Playing the lowest difficulty also makes the two bad fights against chun and claw extreme eyesores given how bad the AI is.  On top of this there is a noticably bad audio desync for the last 3 fights of the run.  If that could be fixed in post editing it would be a plus, but I would still likely reject the run on the overall content and mistakes within.

Quote:
Okay FlIp,
  As mentioned, no cheating, visual is good, but the audio does desynch and is not okay.

Gameplay.  Also as mentioned, while not as critical (I'm a softie), this run is a little lacking for being on the easiest setting.  The Chun-Li fight alone was bad.  I know the runner had access to the previous, rejected run, so the knowledge of how high the bar is for this game was known.  Especially since the previous run was at least on normal (4 stars).  In short, anybody attempting to run this game had better bring some TAS quality stuff.  Tongue
  As for a verdict, I could be tempted to give a "meh" accept.  However, because of what has already been stated and based on the standard of the run that was rejected, I also have to REJECT.
  Although I will also mention that the "Entertainment" value of a run should not really be considered.  Speed is speed after all.

Decision: Reject

Reason: Too many mistakes for a run this short.

This run will be available for a month. PM me for a link.
Thread title: