--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

The Vigilant Defender of St. Canard's Single-segment run

Quote:
I liked the last submissioncola.  This one is even more radicola.

Acceptcola.

Cola.  Cola cola cola.  Cola cola colacola.  COLA.  Bananacolas in your ears!

Quote:
Decision: accept.

I approved of the last one, and this one is clearly better. The main problems that I mentioned with the last one were losing the morning star on 3-5, and not beating Zoda quickly enough. This time, both of those were taken care of.

About the glitch: I was thinking about how best to categorize it for the site. At first, I was going to say that there should be two categories, one w/glitch and one w/o. However, everything after where it occurs is just ending stuff. Also, it's not skill based - you have to get lucky. So I think that there should be only one category, and future runs should be compared at the point where the final hit occurs on Zoda. You can list the final time to be when control is actually lost, but that's not the measure of what's best in Startropics (and if it turns out somebody discovers a foolproof way to glitch 100% of the time, then ignore what I just said).

Oh, and about Chapter 5: Since it's a British ship, it's clear that the song is "God Save The Queen." That's the national anthem of the UK, which has the same melody as "My Country Tis Of Thee."

Now if only they had such historical accuracy in Zoda's Revenge.

Quote:
At least I didn't have to dip my monitor in water to read the runner comments.

Mostly same comments as before: runner had excellent route planning that was near-perfect in the overworld areas and excellent in the dungeons (only real hiccups I noticed were with some teleporting wizards in chapter 3, killer flies in chapter 6, and alien soldiers near an electric beam in chapter 7), and actually managed some pretty stylish jumping enemy kills despite the game's fairly clunky jump mechanics.  The first boss in chapter 7 and the Zoda battle were significantly better than the previous run.

Decision: Circuits indicate success!

Quote:
The run was pretty fantasticola.

Accept.

(Although it's really unfortunate that the ending glitch couldn't be pulled off)

Decision: Acceptacola

Reason: It's a damn good first effort.
Thread title:  
Highly Evolved
*sigh* Two of the four went with the -cola routine.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you.  In fact, I'm resisting doing it as I type this.

And I really don't remember fancy jump kills.  Controls got really natural for me so it wasn't a big deal when they happened.  Only the first two dungeon rooms in the game had what I would think of as fancy jump kills.  Maybe if the alien jumped toward me spawning from the floor opening in chapter 8.

And it's really, really neat that I ran a technical game that isn't Tetris Attack.  I never would have thought I would ever do that when I joined the site.
Is PJ
Congrats, DW!  Glad to see that the timing isn't counting the ending (I think?).  It sounded like a pretty darn good run, minus the lack of the glitch at the end.  Can't wait to see it!
Weegee Time
Quote:
The Vigilant Defender of St. Canard's

Please tell me we can put this in the update post.

Also, congrats DW!  I'm looking forward to seeing this run.
Quote from Darkwing Duck:

Not that I'm complaining, mind you.  In fact, I'm resisting doing it as I type this.

And I really don't remember fancy jump kills.  Controls got really natural for me so it wasn't a big deal when they happened.  Only the first two dungeon rooms in the game had what I would think of as fancy jump kills.  Maybe if the alien jumped toward me spawning from the floor opening in chapter 8.

And it's really, really neat that I ran a technical game that isn't Tetris Attack.  I never would have thought I would ever do that when I joined the site.

What's wrong with the -cola stuff?
Highly Evolved
Quote from Eternalspirit:

I wasn't really complaining.  It's kind of a sigh you give when you hear a bad pun, the "I can't believe you actually said that one" type of sigh.
Quote from Eternalspirit:

I wasn't really complaining.  It's kind of a sigh you give when you hear a bad pun, the "I can't believe you actually said that one" type of sigh.

Oh, haha, fair enough. I'm not taking it back though. Tongue I'm verifier 4.
Edit history:
dballin: 2010-10-12 07:50:44 pm
Balls jerky
I've never played this game so I'm not even sure what all the cola stuff is about. I'M SO LOST

pepsi rulezz
Edit history:
Darkwing Duck: 2010-10-12 07:59:13 pm
Darkwing Duck: 2010-10-12 07:58:57 pm
Darkwing Duck: 2010-10-12 07:58:52 pm
Highly Evolved
Towns in Startropics:

Coracola
Miracola
Radicola
Shecola
Tunacola
Bellcola
Is PJ
For the record, Tunacola sounds like the worst drink name ever.  Just throwing it out there.
Edit history:
dballin: 2010-10-12 08:00:25 pm
Balls jerky
Tunacola sounds gross

haha when i posted this the first time it timed out so it's funny you should post that. I'm glad you agree.
Edit history:
cyghfer: 2010-10-12 08:19:15 pm
i've barely played this game but what the hell is this glitch i've seen so many posts about? every time it's just called 'the glitch' so i have no idea what it entails

congrats on the accept btw. still bracing for an improvement out of nowhere to tetris attack :p
Highly Evolved
Simply put, there's a glitch where you can go from the final boss' death animation straight to the middle of the credits, cutting off two minutes of time after beating the final boss to losing control of the character.
Towns in Startropics:

Coracola
Miracola
Radicola
Shecola
Tunacola
Bellcola

Howduyadu-Cola
Highly Evolved
Mike is also asked if he is from Americola.
spread the dirt to the populace
Congrats!  I did the first TAS of this game way back when and was wondering if anyone would ever run it for real.

I didn't even know about the first boss skip at the time, much less the ending glitch...
Pardon the hijack, but can anybody please explain the ending glitch? Is there a video somewhere?
I see the TAS uses this glitch, very interesting! But if anybody can explain how it is achieved I would be grateful. Thanks!
Highly Evolved
It was discussed in the Startropics thread I think to the point where you can understand it.  I apologize that I'm too lazy at the moment to find it and link it up for you.  I think it's on the third page in Older Consoles.
Darkwing, do you have any interest in speed running the sequel? I imagine it would be harder due to having more movement/shooting options.
Thanks DW, checking it out. Looking forward to the run!
Glitching EB 1 flying man at a time
Congrats, DW. I can't wait to see this one! I've been waiting for someone to do a Startropics run for years.
Highly Evolved
Quote from scaryice:
Darkwing, do you have any interest in speed running the sequel? I imagine it would be harder due to having more movement/shooting options.

I mentioned this in chat the other day.

I played Zoda's Revenge after finishing the first speedrun that I rejected to do the glitch since you found it was doable on console.  I found I am absolutely horrible at it.  Maybe with practice, but man.  It was ridiculously bad.
Is PJ
DW, you could totally trounce Zoda's Revenge.  Wink  Trust me, it is definitely runnable.  I used to "speed run" it as a kid.  It was one of my favorite games to play, for some reason.  Some of the levels can be pretty tricky, but I am confident you can handle it if you want to.

That being said, if you don't like the game then don't try to run it.  That'd be a very bad mistake.  Smiley  If you're concerned about being bad at it though, don't be.  It'll work itself out with practice.
Highly Evolved
That's the thing.  I hadn't played Startropics in years and just started playing it 'cause I was looking for something to play.  I didn't really play all that badly, despite not playing for a long time.  Made me want to play the game again, and thus the speedrun.

It felt like a chore to beat Zoda's Revenge since I died so much, especially since I started doing the one tile jumps all the time.