List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Single-segment run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Video quality was fine.  Audio quality was fine, but the volume was a bit low (I had to max out the volume on my media player and raise the volume on my speakers to properly hear the audio).  Gameplay in the overworld/town sequences was spot-on (runner planned his/her routes quite well for talking to the specific townspeople needed to advance the story), and dungeon gameplay was very good (runner didn't let the game's somewhat clumsy jumping mechanics slow him/her down much, and impressed me with being able to get through the death traps in the dark rooms without hitting the light tiles first).  A couple of battles in Chapter 7 and the final battle could have gone smoother, but all in all this is very fine work for single-segment.

I vote to accept.

Quote:
Decision: accept.

It's a good run, with only a couple problems. Losing the morning star on 3-5 is not good, but for me the biggest possible improvement is on final boss (not even taking into account the "ending glitch"). The runner needs to be more aggressive during the fight and stay closer to him. I definitely wouldn't call the Zoda time in the run "pretty quickly."

Quote:
Verifier: mike.. the star tropics run was pretty awesome.. a few mistakes here and there but nothing that lost a ton of time, it was pretty remarkable, ESPECIALLY with how easy it is to die in the final dungeon.. ACCEPT
me: that was a short verification.. REJECT
me: just kidding
me: good to see you liked the run
Verifier: i loved it
Verifier: the final dungeon in that game has like.. the steepest difficulty curve ever compared to the rest of the game
Verifier: cause those robot dudes with the guns firing range is like over 9000
Verifier: only the nova weapon outranges them, and even then they move really fast
Verifier: and do lots of damage..
Verifier: fucking HATED that level
Verifier: so much

Quote:
Audio: Really quiet for some reason.  Compared to other runs, I can have them at 30%-50% in Windows Media Player and it's fine.  This one, I have it up at 100% and I can still barely hear it.  The audio's fine otherwise.
Video: Nice and clear, no complaints.

There are a few times before and after the rather glaring dungeon-ending flub in Chapter 3 where early or otherwise wrong turns are made, or there's a brief pause in places where there probably shouldn't be, like the overworld.  They don't amount to anything more than maybe 30 seconds throughout the run, I think, so it's not too bad.

Other than that, pretty much anywhere I can say that there was a problem or issue was already pointed out in the notes anyway, and I would just be left with a pedantic list of "1:23 wasted 45 frames being a goof with the controls."  Even the spots pointed out are somewhat due to luck anyway, with enemies just not doing what you want them to occasionally because they're jerks.

Random other thoughts that have little to no bearing on the actual run:
Chapter 1: Why can't all bosses be nice and give you a platform out of the room right when they spawn?
Chapter 2: You don't know how many times I always thought you could make that first disappearing platform in the fifth room without waiting for it to submerge the first time.
Chapter 3: I was something like six when I first played this game, and never made maps of it.  So nice to see 3-3 being left behind as fast as possible.
Chapter 4: In which nothing of note happens.
Chapter 5: Is it just me, or does an 8-bit rendition of "America" play during the sinking of the pirate ship?
Chapter 7: Hey, remember those days before Mode 7?  Hey, remember Mode 7?
Chapter 8: Nice core fight, and Zoda went pretty well, too.  I would complain about not being more aggressive, but I can't be too hard, given that he is instant-death and the very last challenge of a single segment run (unless you consider walking down a hall and scrolling the text to be a challenge).
Wait...Those aren't magic cubes, that's the first level of Q-Bert!  "@#$%!"

My final opinion: Wow!  You've done it!  It doesn't take much island courage to accept this run.

This is a conversation I had with the runner:

Quote:
Runner: Have you received any verdicts on the Startropics run yet?
me: yeah everyone likes it
me: except one verifier says your zoda fight is anything but pretty fast
me: actually I could possibly look at it myself since I did that magfest challenge a year and a half ago
me: which was do the final stage without life jars or something like that
Runner: hmm...
Runner: I'm considering pulling it.
Runner: The TAS final boss glitch is doable on console.
me: ah okay
Runner: So I don't know if I want to pull it or not.
Runner: I'm conflicted.
Runner: Plus I can beat Zoda even faster now.
Runner: The glitch is a two minute improvement regardless.
Runner: I'm interested in verifier comments regardless if I pull it or not. 

A conversation we had a few days later.

Quote:
Runner: I need advice on what to do with Startropics.
me: rejectcept it
Runner: Yeah.
Runner: If people submitted comments, I'd love to see them.
me: well if you can really improve it like you said
Runner: I do think that the one I submitted really needs to be tossed.
me: you make it sound pretty easy
me: okay fair enough
me: I'll post it in the verification board either later tonight or sometime tomorrow
Runner: Well, I have a recorded run that's technically faster already.
me I have a lot to post
Runner: Because of the glitch.
Runner: I get to the point where I activate the glitch four seconds slower than where it could have happened in the previous run.
Runner: So it's essentially 68:55 + 2:00 versus 68:59 + 0:05 seconds.
Runner: I don't know if the new one I've recorded is up to muster.
Runner: I fall about 35 seconds behind at a couple checkpoints in the run.
Runner: But make it up to four seconds behind at the final time.
Runner: So I'm conflicted to say the least.
me: okay
me: if you recorded a new one that quickly
me: then why not try again?
Runner: I feel bad for the verifiers, say if I get a new run after that and they have to keep looking at videos that I'm tossing out.

Decision: Reject

Reason: The runner has already improved his run and still wants to redo it.

The run will be available for about a month if anyone wants to see it. PM me if you want a copy.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
Darkwing Duck: 2010-08-15 02:58:51 pm
Highly Evolved
Good, good, good.

Comments for improvement is stuff I've worked on, so the next time I get should be the one that goes up.

Hopefully, that time is 68:30 or better.

Edit:

And volume is low because my TV plays plenty loud at low volumes and the DVD recorder for some reason records it quite softly.  I don't know why that happens, but it's not going to change with my videos, unfortunately.
Yeah, I was the one who commented on the volume (and other things generally not related to the run; can you tell it was the first verification comments I've done?)  It doesn't hurt anything, it just stood out to me.  Maybe it would have been better if I used speakers instead of headphones and had everything up a little higher in general.  Not a problem, though.

One thing I can say, though, since I really like Startropics (especially compared to Zoda's Revenge...), and you may have discovered for yourself: Don't fight the controls.  I always had a lot more success when I just relaxed about the movements and tried to move a second before I actually thought I needed to when trying to dodge something.  It 'feels' stiff and sticky since you have to spend a few frames turning before you actually start moving (which can be avoided by turning while moving into the tile), so you can't do things like sudden dodges that you can in a game like Contra.  Maybe it won't help you so much, maybe it will.

Aside from that, I know that the Shooting Star and Super Nova are good weapons, but Mike also has a pretty large health bar.  I'm sure you know better than me right now, but there were points where you stopped to pick up hearts (one time with one of the cross-shaped rooms with the vanishing blocks, with a foot-plate on the one side which made hearts appear on the other, and another where there's two paths right next to each other and you detoured to the other to pick up some hearts) that looked like you didn't need to pick up.  Since you begin each chapter with three hearts, no matter what, would it be possible to skip a few of these heart pickups?  It's only a couple of seconds, but hey, seconds are seconds.  I think both of them were pre-Shooting Star, and I think at least one you had a subweapon you were using anyway.

Either way, I look forward to your improved run, which will be even more Radicola than this one was.  Island courage!
Highly Evolved
Controls aren't the issue.  Being blunt, it's me doing the motion to change direction and the control pad not reading what I thought I entered.  Once I move in a dungeon in a way I don't expect, timing goes haywire and I sometimes need to completely stop and restart.

Let me think of the hearts I go off path to get.

3-1
3-2

The shooting star should definitely be used in 3-5.  Skulls go from 2 hits to 1, Boneheads go from 5 to 3, Froppas go from 3 to 2, the eye enemies go from 5 to 3, and the minotaur goes from I think 9 to 6.  The eye enemies are the biggest advantage.  I have to dodge them with the yo-yo, and don't need to with the Shooting Star.

Now, I could just get the ones that are given to me on the path in 3-3 and 3-4.  I save time by going through the six snakes in 3-2.  Otherwise, I could not take a single the rest of the way.  I could get the other two hearts in 3-4 which are close, but I also force damage on 3-2 boss, so I have one heart to spare.  I expect a hit in the four ghost room, so that leaves me half a heart to spare.  There are many random places in 3-3 that I can get hit on.  The one cannon room needs perfect timing and I sometimes get hit.  A hand may spawn behind me and it would be faster to take a hit to kill them.  The bone dogs near the end of the dungeon can jump on you. It's a bit of a bottleneck for me on the route I'm taking, so I don't wish to narrow it further.  Beating Maxie really fast usually gets you hit.  Luck based on where the mini ghosts attack you from.

I think the second example you give is 7-2.  The amount of health you have getting through 7-1 is somewhat random, and I hate that I seem to get hit so much on the 7-1 boss.  Basically, I'm going into 7-2 never knowing how much health I have.

The second issue with 7-2 is that you pick up the second cube after that stage, which fills your health meter fully.  Each half heart tic is I believe a little more than half a second, so if I'm low on health, I can lose somewhere near 30 seconds just watching the health bar increase. 

I also expect I'll be hit a lot in 7-2.  I've cut it down some with a more patient/smarter gameplay, which actually speeds things up.  Depending on how much health I have going in determines how many four-hearts I'll be getting.  I do know in this particular run, I get a four-heart that I definitely didn't need to get, the second to last one.  In the one run Mike mentioned I have, I did skip that one since I was at high enough health.

I hope that explains why I get the hearts that I do.
SEGA Junkie
I'd just like to say wtf at your avatar.

That is all.
Ahh, right right.  I forgot that the second one I mentioned was that stage, although for some reason I seem to remember you being at full health anyway picking up the second heart, which I thought was something like a room later, and you remaining at a constant 3-5 hearts at the minimum throughout most of the rest of chapter 3.  My memory much be screwy.  My mistake, then.  Just, uh...take it as a complement on your playing skill that they seemed to be pointless heart pickups.  Yeah.

Yeah, on the controls, I was just guessing.  I never seemed to have any problem with the controls other than my thumb would get tired/sore from the general stiffness and angular design of the pad, and I'd go to move and not be pushing it down hard enough.  Although it might also just be me being a fanboy of the control system, since I really do like it and my first thought tends to go to "you're doing it wrong!" rather than "oh right, his controller is probably _older than I am_."  So, sorry if it sounded like that.
Highly Evolved
Quote from mike89:
I'd just like to say wtf at your avatar.

That is all.

Screen shot of the game.  There is text behind that pic.

Quote from mystimus:
Ahh, right right.  I forgot that the second one I mentioned was that stage, although for some reason I seem to remember you being at full health anyway picking up the second heart, which I thought was something like a room later, and you remaining at a constant 3-5 hearts at the minimum throughout most of the rest of chapter 3.  My memory much be screwy.  My mistake, then.  Just, uh...take it as a complement on your playing skill that they seemed to be pointless heart pickups.  Yeah.

Yeah, on the controls, I was just guessing.  I never seemed to have any problem with the controls other than my thumb would get tired/sore from the general stiffness and angular design of the pad, and I'd go to move and not be pushing it down hard enough.  Although it might also just be me being a fanboy of the control system, since I really do like it and my first thought tends to go to "you're doing it wrong!" rather than "oh right, his controller is probably _older than I am_."  So, sorry if it sounded like that.

I was close to full health when I grabbed the unnecessary heart in 7-2.  It's a legitimate gripe and a waste of about two to three seconds that didn't need to happen.  I don't think there were any other heart pickups where I was full health.

There are a lot of timing and near perfect timing techniques that I've found for this game and its control scheme.  I can Chapter 1 faster if I'm frame perfect on things like jumps and attacks.  I've gotten 4:22 before with bad NPC luck (meaning 4:21 is definitely possible), which is kind of annoying to me since I'll often try to that and fail and have to restart.  I should just be happy with the 4:24, and hope for the 4:23.