List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Starcraft.html

Assorted Terran and Zerg ILs

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Flip, can you send the following 2 comments to the verifier please, I would like to hear from him regarding these missions before I release a verdict on them. I'm leaning towards a reject for both.

Z07 - 12:46 - Ugh. Missing the sunken colony at the end was really bad. Lots of units idling for quite a while as well. I feel like most of the attacks in this mission could be executed faster.

T08 - 13:07 - The SCV building the bunker dying seems like a clear mistake that may or may not have cost time. I also disagree with not doing the CC slide to get as close to the geyser as possible on the left, which would likely have increased overall mining. Speaking of mining, I don't know how much it matters, but SCV production came to a halt pretty quickly after the assault started. Also, a tank was lost at about 5:25, a clear mistake as well, I feel. Near the tail end of destroying the brown base, I think it was a huge mistake to not ignore the buildings and instead run up to focus down the enemy CC and refinery in order to get mining up there as quickly as possible. Destroying the orange base was quite bumpy, lost more tanks than I'd be happy with. The turret at the end was also a downer. I think with tighter execution, this could go down to as low as 12:30.

Official comments (will edit in final verdict for above two later):

T07 - 26 seconds - Super clean strat. I can't imagine how you can get it much faster. One possible improvement is to not have the SCV get stuck behind Kerrigan at the start, but I have a feeling this was done on purpose to get the AI to attack her instead of the SCV. Accept.

T09 - 11:32 - I think it was a mistake to not move out sooner. I also think the runner should have hotkeyed his factories in order to macro more efficiently. He goes back and forth between his units and factories quite a few times. Getting supply blocked was also really bad, not much excuse for that. I don't think the mistakes cost all that much time either way, although I do think he could have moved out sooner when attacking both times. Regardless, accept.

Z01 - 4:30 - It would be damn hard to top this. Accept.

Z03 - 4:27 - A very cool and creative strategy. There were some micro mistakes where some tanks weren't firing at times (imagine hearing that during a Zerg campaign run..), but I imagine figuring out which order to kill the buildings and how to move the drones must have taken a ton of time. Accept.

Z04 - 1:31 - Not much to say. Accept.

Z05 - 2:54 - Awesome. Accept.

Z06 - 8:05 - Lots of units lost makes this mission look not as good as it could be, but it really is damn hard to keep Zerg units alive. I really wish the runner could have kept the Guardians alive at least, but I don't think it impacted the overall time that much. Accept.

Z09 - 6:49 - I doubt this can be done faster. Accept.

Z10 - 1:38 - Only improvement that I can see is having the drones perfectly in place at the end so no re-arrangement is needed to trap the drone with the crystal, but I'm not sure if that's actually possible. Accept.

EDIT:

Z07 - 12:46 - Weak accept.

T08 - 13:07 - Reject.

Quote:
Verifier before me has all proper times.

T07 - Win

T08 - Improvement over current IL, yes. Over all play, rather sloppy. This can be improved much more that what it currently is at. The runner has a rather large amount of extra minerals that could be producing marines at last resort for extra dps. That can be overlooked though. The last few buildings should not have been up that long and there were a bunch of idol units around the map (though not for all too long, but long enough to notice) that could have been cleaning up extra buildings. One sec, I wanna make a sandwich real quick... This can easily be taken down an extra 10-15 seconds on better unit management (where and how many units go to each location). Sorry, but this IL is a no go for me.

T09 - Nice. Walking the rine around like that. Bonus points for that small number. But I believe this can be easily improved. Here is a fun question for you. How many tanks does it take to kill off a base with 2 units and 3 cannons for defense? Why wait till you have 12 tanks and the bottom is next to gone before moving in? 5-6 tanks could have done a huge number on that base WAY before the 12 tanks were sitting there and waiting... doing nothing... As with T07 I have to reject this IL.

For both T08 and T09 - The cc slide is not enough to have an improvement IMO. the play and strat much compensate for the extra cash and these two ILs just don't really manage all too well in that area. The strats are great, but the execution is lacking.

Z01 - Win

Z03 - Possibly the greatest SC IL EVER

Z04 - Win

Z05 - Win

Z06 - Win

Z07 - Same as T07 and T09 but not as bad. Weak accept.

Z09 -  Win

Z10  - Win

Quote from Flip:
Quote from Runner:
Z07 - Most of my time was spent on planning and coming up with a build order here. So yes, the attacking part definitely suffered. Especially the transporting part and the last sunken (cost me 20 seconds). However you do have to keep in mind that this is the longest mission in the game, with tons of buildings to destroy, so "perfecting" the attacking part would require a lot of practice runs and dedication. Don't get me wrong, I did try this mission many times and this is the only sub-13:00 I got, but I haven't tried it like 100 times or so like you can do on shorter missions. What I focused on was the strategy part and I did improve the old hydralisk strategy with 2:15, which isn't too shabby in my opinion.

T08 - Yes there are many mistakes in this run. I know someone got a much faster time but both him and his videos are nowhere to be found so I just replicated the old run and added the CC glitch. To be honest I barely put any work on it, but it's one minute faster and the video quality is much better than the old run, so I thought, why not? Smiley I have no problem with it being rejected though.

Quote:
Good A/V quality, and no cheating detected.

T07 [0:26] - Not sure this can get any faster. 1 second improvement ftw.

T08 [13:07] - Considering this run uses the CC slide, it should be significantly faster than this.  I also think that the CC on the left should have been slid into the geyser. I think that way too many tanks were lost in orange's main base, significantly increasing the time it took to clear those buildings out.  Forgetting the last missile turret at the end definitely didn't end the run on a positive note either.  I'm going to have to reject this level.

T09 [11:32] - A solid improvement to this level.  I agree that the attack on the NE base could have been initiated much sooner; however, the extra tanks allowed the runner to attack the entire base at once.  This probably at least made up for the time spent waiting.  I will accept this one.

Z01 [4:30] - Game breaking glitch, combined with stupid A.I., makes for a very significant improvement to this level.

Z03 [4:27] - The same glitch, combined with even stupider A.I. Ingenious strategy here. This one is a must-accept and a must-watch thumbsup

Z04 [1:31] - Glitches + Stupid A.I. ftw again.

Z05 [2:54] - Sending the faster Hunter Killer to unlock the door saved a lot of time, in addition to not stopping to kill as many enemies.

Z06 [8:05] - Losing the guardian was unfortunate, but the base was still destroyed very quickly.

Z07 [12:46] - A glitch free zerg level!  Except for the sunken colony at the end, I think this mission was executed very well, for a more than 2 minute improvement.

Z09 [6:49] - Starting the countdown immediately, and returning the crystal through a Nydus Canal, means that this level cannot be improved by very much.

Z10 [1:38] - I like the strategy on the current SDA run of this level, but it just can't compete with invincible drones and the build anywhere glitch.

To sum it up - Accept on all levels except T08.

The runner opted to not redo T08

Decision: Accept all but T08

Reason: All the verifier were unhappy with T08, even the runner admitted it could be improved with more work.

Congratulations to 'Freezard!'
Thread title:  
'gratz to Freezard, I really enjoyed these runs.
Again thanks to all the verifiers (you might be the same guys... you might not. Life's mystery I guess)!

@Verifier 1
T07: I figured out how to not have the SCV stuck in the beginning, and it made the run slightly faster (26.0 seconds). However due to how the triggering system works (the game only checks triggers like the ending beacon one every one-two seconds) I doubt 25 is possible.
Z06: Hmm... I never thought that the run might look sloppy, because losing Zerg units is pretty natural. I spent a lot of time on this mission but I guess all the spilled Zerg blood doesn't reflect that, heh. Anyway the guardians thingie was pretty dumb, I'll definitely keep them to the right edge next time to prevent death.
Z10: It's not possible, the drone just won't spawn if you keep the blocking drones too close to the spawn point. Instead the crystal will transfer to an existing drone, so you need to space them out a little.

@Verifier 2: LOL at the sandwich Cheesy

@Verifier 3: Funny comments Smiley The game AI isn't that bad really, in many areas it's better than the SC2 AI. But well, what can you do against invincible units? 8)

I'll try to improve T08/T09 in the future. Honestly I didn't expect T09 to get accepted either, it was my first serious attempt after having learned the map... heh.
For Z06, you should definitely work hard to keep the guardians alive.. they do a lot of damage and should be reasonably easy to keep alive, I would think. The rest of the units, I could care less about. Zerg units are really squishy so it's natural to expect losses.

As for Z10, I figured it was something like that.