Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Evan K. N. Jankowski's single-segment run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Greetings again,

I finished watching the run for the second time and put together my comments, which you will find below. Feel free to post them, but I'd like my username name omitted. This run DOES have deaths in it - both intentional and not. Also, it turns out it was my download that was bad; I tried downloading again and the entire run was there, though the 1-second skips were still present.

---

Let's take this mission by mission, shall we?

Ambush at Mos Eisley

Personally, I think it looks cleaner if you shoot each droid once using the “2 lasers at a time” firing mode, but each to their own, I guess. I’m always amazed that Wes (or is it Hobbie?) manages to get shot down by the probe droids in this mission. You could maybe save a second or two at the end by ramming the TIEs with the nose of your X-Wing instead of trying to line up shots. But fastest is as fastest does, I guess.

Rendezvous at Barkhesh

Not much to say. You got the minimum time, and that’s all there is to it. No needless deaths makes this easily the most sound mission.

Search for the Nonnah

I seem to remember this being a lot harder and more frantic when I played this game, but whatever. I guess knowing the spawn point of the TIEs really helps things along. I’m also sure that there was much frustration every time the Nonnah isn’t in the closest spot. You thoroughly thrash this level.

Defection at Correlia

Good catch with the AT-STs. Yeah, those TIEs could have gone better, but TIEs being what they are in this game, I think you did okay. One thing though: doesn’t the Snowspeeder have two brakes, allowing you to slow down even further? It’s not really noticeable in this mission because you aren’t required to do extended strafing runs, but in later missions I noticed it.

Liberation of Gerard V

The death right off the bat looks kind of sloppy, but what are you going to do, right? You probably lost maybe 10 seconds there. That glitch is annoying. I know the programmers were trying to make it ‘realistic’ in that your blasters are on the ends of your wings and will go around targets that are too close, but they really messed up the distances. Anyhoo, the rest of the mission looked alright. That other death didn’t really cost you anything, but it did take a while for your ship to crash. I’d say that this and Seerdon are your worst looking levels.

The Jade Moon

Ah yes, this mission. I remember way back when I discovered you could fly right over the missile turrets – I didn’t even know about the trench until several months later when I was trying to get medals. Anyhow, this one is easy regardless, and the only bad part is the TIEs in the end. I can sympathize – they’re almost impossible to see on this level, and they’re finicky as always.

Imperial Construction Yards

This is what I’m talking about, with the double brakes on the Snowspeeder. I’m pretty sure that if you activate both, you can destroy some of those buildings in a single strafing run. But otherwise, this mission just comes down to straight knowledge – knowing where the sensors are, and knowing which buildings you need to blow up. It seems you knew it all, and pulled it off.

Assault on Kile II

Good idea, leaving the last comm building until the garrison is destroyed. Of course, people who haven’t played the game before might be a bit confused (“why exactly do I have to rescue Wedge?”), but I digress. You did a decent job rationing your bombs – I’m assuming you tested it and found that rationing was better than kamikaze – but I’m pretty sure you could have been a bet more aggressive with them. The bombing run on the spaceport looked a bit sloppy, but the sensor dishes and garrison were nice and smooth.

Rescue at Kessel

What exactly am I supposed to say about this one? There's very little stopping you from getting a very good time here. It wasn't completely optimized, but it was still fast.

Prisons of Kessel

Back in the usual X-Wing, you’re in top shape. Things just die all around you, and it all looked good, except for that one flubbed torpedo shot. There isn’t a lot to say about it otherwise. I guess the first group of TIEs could have been better, but then, they always can, right? Also, ever notice how the AT-STs seem to get harder to kill in ever mission they’re in?

Battle Above Taloraan

Your knowledge serves you well – knowing exactly which ones are the Imperial canisters makes each platform pretty much a breeze. For sure, this has to be the worst level for the “blasters shooting past the target” glitch. Lucky you have some Concussion Missiles to play with, eh? Bad luck on the crash, but it seems you were planning on doing that anyhow. It’s kinda funny that right after you crash, Kasan chimes in with, “Excellent work!” That was a nice dive to get the upgrade, by the way. And I agree – this is the best level in the game.

Escape from Fest

Ug, this was always the hardest mission for me. Again, I’ll reiterate my spiel about the brakes: you might be able to manage less runs if you slam on both of them. Other than that, it was cool that you showed that AT-ATs can be destroyed by blasters, especially in a time-sensitive mission. Of course, once all the threats are out of the way, this mission becomes a, “how much stuff can you screw up while waiting for the mission to end,” type deal. You make this look easy.

Blockade on Chandrilla

My other favourite mission, and probably the only one where it’s possible to get shot down by your allies (!). I always found it funny how the, “Protect the evacuation shuttles“ line is said in the narrator’s voice and not one of your allies. But anyhow… Yeah, if all TIEs went down as easy as they do in this mission, the game (and, consequently, the speedruns of said game) would be a joke. Definitely one of your better missions, in my opinion.

Raid on Sullust

The sound of all those missile turrets still haunts my dreams. Anyhow, good thing you got the Advanced Bombs; I’m pretty sure those shield thingers take two regular bombs apiece. Honestly, I’m not surprised at your first death, as I’d be surprised if anyone – and I mean anyone – could do this mission fast and not die at least once. Your second death was, as you said, kinda stupid. But stupid things happen, and I’m pretty sure you didn’t want to throw out the entire run just because of one stupid little occurrence this late into the run, right?

Moff Seerdon’s Revenge

Moff Seerdon is a huge jerk, you know that? Anyhow, I feel that some parts of this weren’t completely optimized. A specific example would be your line into the turret/bacta tank/barracks grouping at around 1:04:17 – you take out the turret and the bacta tank and have to come back for the barracks. But I realize that this is a difficult mission, and that at this point you’re not going to scrap the run over a few optimization/execution problems.

Battle of Calamari

Heh, this one is fun. I’m surprised that you’re not using the V-Wing’s turbo boost. I can understand if it’s actually faster to just use regular thrusters when going long distances, but isn’t there at least one place where you need to fly a short distance very quickly? Either way, nice use of the Rapid Fire Lasers and the Seeker Cluster Missiles. I love how you do things so fast that the audio commentary by your wingmen can’t keep up. Anyhow, you just tear through everything here, and finish off the game with style.

Final Comments

- I saw no cheating
- There were deaths in this run, both intentional and not.
- The capture quality is… I’m assuming that it’s okay. The file I watched had numerous one-second skips throughout the duration of the movie, but that may have just been the uploaded file. If this truly is a problem with the capture, then I’d say reject it.
- Gameplay was decent overall. There were errors, but nothing so drastic that it would warrant an outright rejection on their own. There is room for improvement, yes, but it’s of good enough quality to put up, I’d say, and should lead to some nice competition to beat the time. It’s obvious that some levels were of much higher play quality than others, as obvious by the fact that numerous levels were your personal best times. I looked at some of the level records somewhere else, and you don’t come close in some places, but that would be because those were done with all upgrades and non-standard craft. I did for a while consider rejecting it due to how some of the levels looked, but this is still a solid time, and it is single-segment. I’m still wondering about the Snowspeeder brakes, though.

Final Verdict: Accept, on the condition that the skips in the video were a result of the upload and not the capture.

Quote:
Looks good enough to me.

The playing quality is pretty nice and consistent. Obviously a game like this is impossible to get perfect in a single segment, but mistakes are few, and he's pretty good at aiming. I remember the first mission of this I played, took me forever to hit all the teeny little buggers, but the runner was quick and efficient. I can't see any glaring faults in terms of route choices or playing mistakes; he mentions only 2 possible minutes of improvement, which in a 1+hour run is not the end of the world.

Quote:
As this is my first Verification, as well as one for one of my favorite N64 games, my personal pride will suffer a massive hit if i screw this up. Regardless, here we go!

Audio/Video quality: It seems as though on several different intervals, there is a small skip in the video and audio, like someone making a quick timecut. The energy/weapon amounts stay the same between each cut, and each cut would only be about 10 frames maybe. It's still very much watchable, however.

Cheating: If the other verifiers see the little cuts I mentioned above, then there is the possibility he cheated (by that, i mean he used that break to sneak in a pause.) Of course, this may just be my computer hating me again, and if it is, then i am happy to say there is no cheating involved.

Before i get onto the actual level comments, I will say that this run does abuse death in several levels. Some of these seem to be needed (either he gets more special weapons, or he gets a full shield, or he gets back the magical health fixing R2, OR he uses the death to kill an enemy), but most seem to either be accidental, or could have been avoided in my eyes.

So, without further ado, here are the level comments:

Mos Eisley: Excellent. I don't see any major improvements.

Barkhesh: Another great level. Runner goes out, kills all enemies on the map, then does some tricks to keep us happy. Also, this is where i noticed the above time cuts begin to occur.

Search for the Nonnah: Can't you just speed past those early Ties and go straight for the Nonnah?

Defection: Another good level. So far appears to be on the road to an accept....

Liberation: ....then two spectacular unnecessary deaths in this level. I have never had the trouble of laser fire going through the laser turret. And then, you just died when a Tie hit you towards the end of the level. Cmon...you should have either dodged or shot him. A cringe worthy level, and one that one would think would deserve a restart.

Jade moon: another great level. Death when you get the upgrade. If you had hit that last bomber earlier, you would have been perfect.

Imperial Construction Yard: Perfect level. The one death here is needed, as it gives the runner that extra OOMPH to destroy the building. And the level ends once the building goes down, so no time lost.

Kile 2: Cmon....the bombing of the city (base?) could have been done somewhat faster. Regardless, this is a good level.

Kessel: You hit it about as fast as possible, no real complaints here.

PO kessel: again, did really good here.

Talorann: Death here was unneeded. (unless you can explain how you used it?)

Fest, Chandrilla: Both great levels, no real problems in either.

Sullest: the first death, i can understand. However, Couldn't you bomb the thing instead of ramming it?

Revenge: The suicide took too long, and the "boss" could have been a smudge quicker.

Calamari: (mmm....calamari.....) I do not accept that last death. You only used the missles you gained on enemies that could have been shot at due to their easy fly in.

All in all, this run had some major high points and some pretty sore spots. I'm afraid I'm going to have to reject this run, based on both the death count and some other player errors. Each death is several seconds long (sometimes more if its a bounce or air to ground death) and if all the unnecessary ones are removed, then the time would likely be lower. Right now, I'm reminded of the rejection of Crackdown where all the verifiers mentioned a perfect run, then they rejected it based on a 30 second mishap. New game, same case. The Liberation deaths just ruined the run for me. If the runner or you, mike, have any questions regarding anything i said, you know where to find me.

Runner's response:

Quote:
Ambush At Mos Eisley: I just find it  soooo much easier shooting down the bombers behind them, and would most likely waste more time missing than anything that could be saved, also most attempts at this level usually end up closer to 1:30, so 1:23 was a good point to start off from.

Barkesh: I've tried killing the last couple before did not help also losing the first one or two still slows down the level which I find strange.

Search for the Nonnah: There is no point to going straight to the nonnah since you have to wait until the imperial shuttle lands anyways and it takes a minute to show up about another 37 or so seconds to land and drop the tanks/at-st, so killed the tie's looks more interesting that way?I suppose it could raise that question though. The whole level is a bunch of waiting before and after killing what you need to kill, the tanks + at-st then the bombers, after that just waiting for the shuttle, do however need to make sure probe droids don't do too much to me because can die particularly when your bumping into enemy bombers or depending on how you attack the at-st.

Defection: accuracy really the biggest factor here, not sure if tie fighters even need to be killed.

Liberation: it is a little cringe worthy but as far as I can tell doesn't actually cost me any time has the added advantage of showing one of the games more amusing ways to die, the whole level is taking anything that can shoot down the y-wings then just waiting for them to finish, I've done runs with no deaths that have ended up with the same time and 4:20 seems to be the usual time for the level to end however I've had some random 4:19,4:04-05's and one 3:50 which I still haven't managed to replicate, given you have to wait for the y-wings to ion cannon all the transports, well the last one anyways. I do know how to do it the really fast way though Smiley fly with a y-wing towards the big turrent and only bother to ion cannon the one transport right before it and take out the turret and your done, sadly can't do this in a new game run would save more than 3 minutes.

jade moon: but but i love those shields too much, yes taking out the generator directly might save a little bit of time maybe half a minuteish but the shields are rather useful in particular your seem to complain about deaths quite a bit there would most likely be more without them. Also got lucky with the post suicide respawn spot might always be there dieing that way but still works out quite well.

Kile 2: yeah spaceport bombing could have gone better, then headed for communications array/garisson, bombed the scanners or whatever of the array leaving the main building till I destroyed the garrison. Leaving one building of either of those then destroying everything of the other allows you to skip a cut-scene (wedge being captured) which triggers when 2 buildings are left for one of them and the other is completely destroyed. Also noticed something at the very beginning seem to take a slightly slower route to the spaceport, going through the semi-circle instead of straight partly its just become habit after all these years taking the straighter route would probably be faster would need to dodge or destroy those lasers more though.

Taloraan: the death was unintentional but it worked out in the end usually end up die/suiciding when getting the laser upgrade, missile weren't all the needed i suppose maybe sped up last platform a bit though death was "unneeded" ended up using it though most of my attempts I ended up suiciding to get the laser upgrade, finally managed not to this time, yes the death wasn''t planned, might of died later on anyways? at least that death finished off the the final canister there/ saved me from having to turn around.

Sullest: honestly not sure if the ram worked or if i hit the bloody invisible wall thats at at least one point on that thing, but yeah was an accident can't bomb the capacitor(hell the snowspeeder and v-wing can't even fly high even to aim right at it, have to aim up to hit it) and generally that was just me failling a bit there. Also not a ship some sort of floating energy capacitor but whatever.

revenge: the suicide definitely took too long, as for the "boss" took a bit too long doubling back expecting him to be traveling towards me more or something ah well.

Calamari: Gave it a couple tries confirmed my belief definitely too much trouble for a ss run to try and take down those fighters without missiles, never mind trying to just survive the whole level without dieing. Shooting down any ties that made it past that point would be way too much trouble, this was also so far my rest run for this level not counting a 3:03 i managed doing IL runs years ago. While yeah it would look nicer ain't happening anytime soon sorry. Also concerning the actual fly in staying in a good spot to shoot them all down is quite hard.

Verifier's final response

Quote:
Here is my response to the runner's....response.

I can see where he is coming from in Mos Eisley. It would have been nice if he could have done it, but i can understand with the odds on accuracy. Barkesh, I'm going to assume, is just a timed level, as from his comments and my own research, the level ends when that first transport reaches the area. Liberation....ugh. The first death i think should have been avoided. Seeing as how you did get 15 seconds lower in some cases, i think more time spent seeing what causes the speed up and slow downs in some areas would be required. Jade Moon, i phrased my question wrong. I have no problem getting the shield, but is it neccassary to die after getting them?

Yes, i complain about the deaths because that wastes a sizeable chunk of time. its a few seconds lost per death, so they really only need to occur when you need that missile or that bomb.

Moving on, and looking back over Kile 2, the spaceport could have gone much better. I have no problem with leaving the one building up, then bombing the other target. Taloraan....I'm going to go with blind faith on this case.  Sullest, I'm going to need to check, but i think its a wall. (and yes, i know it's an energy capacitor, but saying ship is alot faster than "floating energy capacitor". No offense) I can understand the boss making a reverse in Revenge. Not much you could do there. For Calimari, i can distinctly remember times when i have done that level without dying and have had killed the fly-ins AND after playing the other levels for a while AND finishing the level with a time near yours. Once again, going to need to check, but i have this big screaming voice in the back of my head saying that it is heavily possible, even after playing 40+ minutes.

I can tell you have done some serious work on this with how you have defended your actions in the run. In some cases, i can see where i would have been wrong. Some more testing on the problem level of Liberation, however, will be beyond needed.

This is going to be my final statement on the run. I am really, REALLY on the fence about this run. so, here is how my verdict will be. (excuse me if it seems like a cop-out) If the other verifiers all accept and they all love the run and stuff, then I have no problem with the run being accepted. My personal opinion? A very difficult Reject. A little more time, a little more testing, and i think this run could be beaten by a decent amount. Either way, i must congratulate the runner. You put a lot of effort into it. No matter what happens, I'm sure you will go on and attempt to beat this time. Good luck with your future projects, and have a nice day.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a nice single-segment run
Thread title:  
Balls jerky
Sweet! Been waiting for this one for a while. Post post postpostpostpostpostpostpostpostpostpostpostpostpostpospotopspostopstpos gooooo!!!!!!!!! Grin
Edit history:
Arctic_Eagle: 2009-11-11 02:13:59 am
Sweet! Glad that this one passed the verification-process, lots of congrats!

And... This game has awesome graphics for it's time. (Played with expansion-pak at HQ of course. Surely one of the best games for N64.)
I love Rogue Squadron and stories.
huzzah its up, not sure what else to say at the moment.
The Running Failure
So, i was verifier number 3. As said in my first paragraph, slight ego hit. Thankfully this has been a lesson to me in both how to verify and that i need to be less harsh.

Once again, Liberation must be tested. Massively. Otherwise, I'm cool with the accept. And, like i also said, it was a good run with a few damaging errors, but it is SDA worthy and I'm sure you (or someone else) will go and beat this run.

And i would like to know the answer to the snowspeeder brake thing.
I love Rogue Squadron and stories.
I keep thinking its wedge for some reason who gets shot down by the probe droid on the first level.

nonnah the spots have very tiny affect on the time, like 2 seconds maybe doing it with v-wing with seeker cluster missiles, so execution has a bigger affect on time, so good run of the level is enough to keep it not worth the restarting on other spawn spots never mind the whole going through barkesh again just for that........
yeah I got sick of barkesh.

did a touch more testing with gerrard V managed 4:19 shotting the transports a bit but that's it so far.

at-sts seem to be about the same difficulty 20ish non upgraded shots the whole way through, till upgrade obviously

doubtful I will be beating it any time soon although definitely considering getting around to doing IL runs with full upgrades(well except for taloraan I like non upped missiles here better single tap vs double tab to quick fire em, assuming that would be ok in an IL table?) quite different strategy on a few levels, tad too much seeker cluster missile usage though

and thank you to which ever nameless verifier brought up the double breaking and snowspeeder made me feel like a bit of an idiot, never really though about it may have found it years ago and forgotten I'm unsure, and yeah does break a bit more