--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Justin 'UCPro' Salamon's run

Verifier Responses

Note: Some of the responses might mention missing segments or sound, these problems have since been fixed.

Quote:
Verifier: I've got some good news for you.
Verifier: Due to what must have been sheer luck and fortune, I found my self with one freeday yesterday, and i went ahead and spent it on the SFA run.
Verifier: I'm going to go ahead and say that anyone who even dares to think about rejecting this run deserves a slap in the face. Execution is done beyond any and all expectations, the capturing is practically perfect, and the run is just 100% awesome.
Verifier: There are a few small errors, but pointing them out would be nitpicking to the point of being a documented perfectionist. (Besides, the runner mentioned them already in the comments).

Quote:
Very well. Segment 97 is also missing sounds. This will also be my conclusive...conclusion to the speed run.

The run itself is very well planned out. The paths are maximized to save time whenever possible, the runner never dies, and I couldn't find any inconsistency in the entire run. To note, however there is a LOT of save-warping, which is the cause of most of the segments, being 100 in all. The cutscenes themselves seem to run longer than the actual time spent playing the game, but they're unskippable. There are a couple glitches used to save time such as skipping the general scales boss battle, but nothing that would be considered rule-breaking. Definitely accepted.

Quote:
I’m going to pass on my usual segment-by-segment analysis of this game and keep it short for both our sakes. Most of my comments would consist of “save warping” and “nothing goes wrong” anyway. This is a game where sequence breaks were almost non-existent given all the backtracking, limited usable items, and general solid environments. Ways were found to get through some walls, but it proved useless because more items were needed to get the points beyond those first. There is a point in Cloudrunner Fortress where an explosive barrel is tossed through a hollow wall to skip lowering a gate, flipping switches, and backtracking though. Segments are kept short (one is three seconds), except those where long treks are required and saving would place the runner in a starting point with a distance disadvantage upon resuming the run. Up until a year ago, I’d always thought this game was unspeedrunnable, simply because of the sheer amount of time you spend watching the un-fucking-skippable cutscenes. Yet despite few tricks being available, this runner really goes to town on this game. I can tell he restarted until the best results were obtained. Impressive parts include: the Frost Weeds, Boss Galdon, the one-toss barrel trick in segment 41, killing four Sharpclaw with one explosive barrel in the next, getting two cutscenes to play over top of one another on two separate occasions, the Spellstone race in Cloudrunner Fortress*, the entire Lightfoot Village sequence, the Drakor fight (holy smokes), the spinning torch puzzle in segment 90 (much more difficult to do it perfectly than it looks), the Scales glitch in the second last segment**, and the final fight. This is a very optimal run, both in routes used and execution. In a game this big and long, it’s very impressive to see someone beat it in under 4:47. I vote to accept it.
And yeah, the runner timed his last segment correctly.

* Scales: “Get the Spellstone out of here!”
Minions: “Yes sir!” (Minions proceed to drive around in a circle)

**Rare: “We ran out of development time and had to stick you with a cutscene instead of a fight with the head bad guy.” Not surprisingly, this slow pace and sloppy work continued even after Nintendo sold them and they lost all their remaining fans.

Quote:
I have verified the Starfox Adventures run.

The audio/video is good, I didn't see any cheating. The timer matches up between segments.

This run is excellent. Rarely there will be a small, perhaps one or two second mistake, but that's about all that the runner allows, and even those are infrequent. The vast majority of the run is very smooth and a pleasure to watch. I would say definitely accept.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Pretty obvious, honestly.
Thread title:  
cool, nice to see the verification is now complete.  Thank you verifiers for spending a lengthy amount of time to watch my run ... and i'm happy you were all impressed.

Hopefully this run will be up by the end of the year, so everyone can download and watch over the holiday break Smiley
Never give up!
After all the people that failed in trying to run this (I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I'm one of those people), I'm glad to see someone finally put the behemoth to rest.

That is all.
The Running Failure
Being the first verifier, i have to say this run was beyond amazing to watch. Saw a few tricks i had no clue about. Enjoyed the execution. Everything was practically perfect. Thank you, UCpro. Already trying to get it turned into one nice long movie so i don't have to go segment by segment again.
TASer
Usually I dislike segmented runs, especially if they have such short segments that sometimes are only half a minute long. But I'd really like to watch the whole thing. I'd really appreciate a single avi/mp4 that has all the segments merged together.
Ah, so this run is finally up ... and what is this? ... there's an insane quality at 12.55 GB's???? lololol ... wow, that's awesome.  I do agree that it would be nice to have all the videos available as one single download.  100 separate videos is going to be a pain to download
We all scream for Eyes Cream
Use JDownloader, click Add Url, and paste the link to the download page. It will separate all the qualities from each other and will let you download them consecutively.
Edit history:
UCpro: 2010-01-31 11:44:45 pm
i just noticed there is a torrent for the medium and high quality downloads.  So that's nice.  I wonder why there isn't one for the insane quality?

EDIT: Bwahahahaha ... part 12 is hilarious!!  The videos aren't edited, so it has the full recording even after i saved that segment ... and i'm just running around the shop.  LOL ... that almost killed me because i was completely not expecting that.  I wonder if there are anymore segments like that after the save ...

hahaha, the end of part 15 after the save is funny too because i was so damn confused ...
Yes, a cucco riding the ground.
I finally finished watching the run. You did an excellent job. I could tell that a lot of thought was put into nearly every movement, no matter how slight, and that you didn't let even a second's worth of savings slip by except in the toughest segments. Even though the run is nearly five hours long, I doubt it could be improved by more than a minute without new strategies or ridiculous luck. The same isn't true of most runs on the site, even much shorter ones. It's hard to put my finger on what makes the run so good, but I think it's just a lack of things that make it bad. Tongue Congratulations on finally "putting the behemoth to rest."
Edit history:
nate: 2010-02-27 11:16:34 am
Quote from Manocheese:
I finally finished watching the run. You did an excellent job. I could tell that a lot of thought was put into nearly every movement, no matter how slight, and that you didn't let even a second's worth of savings slip by except in the toughest segments. Even though the run is nearly five hours long, I doubt it could be improved by more than a minute without new strategies or ridiculous luck. The same isn't true of most runs on the site, even much shorter ones. It's hard to put my finger on what makes the run so good, but I think it's just a lack of things that make it bad. Tongue Congratulations on finally "putting the behemoth to rest."

thanks ... it really is a very polished run.  I do occasionally find new small improvements or changes i could have made ... but i think it would have to take a BIG new find for anyone to think about trying get a better time.
Visit my profile to see my runs!
Any luck getting someone to append all these files together so I don't have to sit through that damn watermark?  (Hell, it'd be great to get rid of the save/loading screens too, but at least the first idea would be somewhat easy to do)  I love watching this run, but not the downtime.
Sleeping Terror
Just skip over that part. Media Player Classic has a nice "skip to next keyframe" feature, where you can hit shift+right a few times at the start of a video and it'll go right into the action, and pretty much every media player should have a "skip forward X seconds" button, which would also work (albeit in a slightly less elegant fashion).