Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/StarFox64.html

Zack 'zallard1' Allard's run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Star Fox 64

Time: 25:17 (two seconds shy of a 30-second improvement)

• Runner was in pacifist mode through most of the run, only killing necessaries (heat on teammates)
  • Team Star Wolf lasted less than 10 seconds in Fortuna
  • I don't think the death was necessary after the Venom boss (Psonar did it due to entering w/low health and wouldn't have had enough to ram through the hatches)

Accepting pending the following transactions
Team Star Fox is owed 19,392 credits from Gen. Pepper; runner is owed $25 dollars and the title of Flight Master from Psonar.

Question now is if our new runner is going to try to topple Psonar's red and 100 runs?

Quote:
Audio/Video:Quite acceptable. At the post-mission stat review of mssion 1 there's a slight VHS weirdness thing that also produces static on the right sound channel, but other than that there aren't any problems.

Cheatering: Couldn't really find any. Enemy counts add up each time, and life/bomb counts are consistent.

I'm not sure if anyone will bring it up, but a turbo controller was not used. At 13:33 and 13:44 one can see that the shooting is inconsistent for a few shots. Other examples are 19:32 and pieces of the Golem boss starting at 23:25.

Gameplay: Too good. This beats the old run by approximately 30 seconds and has no ugly moments (well, maybe this robo-andross fight looks a bit worse than the picture-perfect Psonar fight). I was unable to match the SDA timing on the old run, so didn't time this one, since I was wrong on the start/stop points.

All of this guy's shooting is just stupefying, it's so accurate, fast, and planned out. I was going to do a level by level breakdown, but it'd just be the same praise over and over, and as I said, I can't really spot any mistakes. I'm not sure if it's technically true, but it seemed like the runner avoided lag in more places (other than one bomb-spot in the second stage), which is always impressive.

Fortuna is the first instance of a marked improvement over the old run. He makes better use of the Fortuna maneuver, obliterating Star Wolf's team before they had a chance to even fly around. He finishes the level nicely with flying through the building during the cutscene.

Bolse is the other reason for the faster time, he destroys the central pillar in only 2 passes instead of 3, thanks to employing some better shooting strategies than Psonar. One thing I was disappointed to not have seen was boosting just before U-turning. There's energy to spare for both movements, and it saves a second or two of travel, but it might not work out for timing on the pillar rotation. That or it might just be how the runner times when to U-turn, since on the first pass he boosts to the pillar, then turns when the boost bar is refilled.

On Venom, I think the Golem boss can only be killed after a certain amount of time, but it LOOKS much faster, and way cleaner, than the old run, so another kudos for that.

Andross' first form goes laughably well, the second form is 3 seconds slower, but it's a reasonably excellent finish for this run.

I didn't verify the credits, but his top ten (10) rankings at the end provide some explanation of how he got so good at shooting.

tl;dr: 90s Falco is too good.

Verdict: Accept

Quote:
Non-timed levels were on par with the last run.  Timed levels were notably faster.  Only real improvements I see are a better Bolse tower fight (if that's possible) and better luck with the Venom stone robot.  Fortuna was pretty hilarious, by the way.

It's sad when you can recite the quotes verbatim right before they even come up, despite not having played this in years.

Accept.

Quote:
Alright, I watched it. Seemed pretty good, definitely no cheating whatsoever. The end time was 25:17, just like he said. The only thing I could see that could be a problem is that the original recording was quite obviously on VHS, as evident by the white "lines" on screen near the beginning. Again I don't know how much of a problem that will be, since it only effects the first minute or so before gameplay even starts.

Quality was nice, definitely pleasant to watch despite the white lines at the beginning. Audio was in sync, no problems with that. Overall, I'd say it's a go. So all I can say is, congratulations Zack Allard for your amazing accomplishment!

Quote:
So see here, I got this funny video the other day of a fancy schmancy game, they call "Star Fox 64".  Really, as if the first 63 games weren't good enough for ya, huh?  Why kids get bored of the good old games so quickly, I must say.

I'm told that this is suppose to be "pure speed" on Normal difficulty.  Pure speed.  HAH!  This thing is too CHEAP to be pure speed.  Why at least back in my day, speed cost an entire year's wages for the average man.  And you got one ounce.  ONE STICKING OUNCE.  They must sell it dime a dozen now, or something.  Sheesh.

Stupid Level 1: Corneria

So these fancy ships they call Arwings are flying around Corneria.  Where's the villages?  The buildings?  Ha.  I just see a stupid canyon with some water and a stupid rabbit saying "DO A BARREL ROLL".  Seriously, you expect people to do that?  It'll make you sick.  Unless you're a real man.  Of course, kids these days are so weak.  In the good old days, you could do them all day long and never be bothered!  Bah.  What would you young whippersnappers know.  Pansies I tell you.  PANSIES!

Stupid Level 2: Asteroid Field

There's so much darn movies about these dem Asteroid things.  Everybody thinks they're gonna destroy the world.  BAH.  The real worry is kids and this damn crap music they call "rap".  Why if Buddy Holly was good enough for me, it's good enough for YOU.

Now, there's some dem darn cheatin going on here.  Suddenly, the graphics get all funky.  What is this crap?  They're trying to give people epileptic fits?  Enough to make an old man go blind!  And then the guy doesn't even take the MANLY route.  Wimp.

Stupid Level 3: Fortuna

Now, in the REAL damn game, Fortuna was a cold planet.  It was an ice cream s hop!  It was...NOT THIS.  Damn kids.  Why do you want to see ice cream shops get blown up?  Destroy our lovely jukeboxes where you can enjoy The Beatles and The Animals.  Bah, what do you know.

You're just a bunch of disprescting punks!  You can't even let the bad guys finish they're demn darn speech before you blow them out of the sky!  What the hell, player?  Rotten cheatin bastard, I must say!  And flying around like you were before...sheesh.  No respect I must say.  No respect for your partners, no respect for your ship, and no respect for those old folks like us that have to watch this tripe.  SHEESH.

Stupid Level 4: Sector X

As I look at this, it looks like what people have done to this country.  I mean, look at all this shit all over the place.  My WORD you dirty pigs!  Why, you have no respect like we did!  We hugged our trees, put our trash in those darn trash recepticals, and rode bicycles or walked!  Not like you damn lazy kids...have to RIDE A CAR EVERYWHERE.  Damn lazy I say.  Damn lazy.

And then I see him shoot at these square thingies.  Fast shooting I say.  Would be a good slingshotter I bets.  ...AHHHH MORE OF THOSE DAMN CRAZY LIGHTS.  What they hell, again.  Didn't I tell you to stop making an old man go blinds?!  Sheesh kids, no respects I must say.

Stupid Level 5: Sector Z

Now, let me get this straight.  You shoot your teammates in the back, fly around doing jack shit, let a missile hit your home mother ship thingie, and then expect to get treated with RESPECT?  Why, a man could get SHOT for that!  It's DAMN TREASON!  Fox should be damn lynched.  LYNCHED I SAY!  Of course, you and your damn fangled laws and shit saying that the punishment must be "humane".  BAH.  Nothing but a bunch of weaklings.  If we were disrepectful to our parents, we got whipped with a belt, right across the face!  And if we cried, they did it AGAIN.  Bah, stupid weakling kids thinking this is "abuse".  BAH.  Wimps.

Stupid Level 6: Bolse Defense Outpost

It's quiet.  Too quiet.  Oh, you decided to tell ME the forcefield is disappearing?  Seriously, damn kids think I'm BLIND?  Of COURSE I can see that.  I wasn't born in a barn yesterday!  Sheesh.  Whatever, why didn't you just fly by this stupid level?  Stupid kids, I must say.  No strategy.

Stupid Level 7: Venom

GEEZUS.  There's so much shit in this level, about enough to make an old man wet his pants!  Why, back in my day, we fight FAIR fights, with none of these damn laser plane thingies.  Sigh.  Whatever happened to the good old days?  I guess they're not GOOD enough for YOU, huh?!  HUH?!?!?!

And I suppose you thinking all temples are like that.  One simple large tunnel right down the middle, huh?  Why, I remember going into one.  Giant boulder chased me through all sorts of twists and turns, while I'm dodging all sorts of things trying to trip me up.  Almost lost my hat!  $10 hat too...EXPENSIVE, I SAY.  That nearly cost me a lot of money.

Oh, then there's some more demn darn cheatin.  FLYING THROUGH DOORS.  SERIOUSLY.  CHEATS!

And seriously, gunslinger, shoot faster.  He hit you.  Yeah, I know.  That demn darn "luck" thingie.  What an excuse.  Wimpy kids, I say.

Alright, so I guess I watched your stupid video, you expect me to give you a medal for beating the game or something?  BAH.  Shouldn't even have an ending.  I mean, the good old days, games never ended unless you screwed up and ran out of quarters and couldn't run to mommy for more!

Sigh.

Fine.  You were about 28 seconds faster then the old movie thingie on this "website" thingie.  I guess if it meets your "acceptance" for your little club, then fine.  It's a part of your club.

Now go away and let me take my nap.  My dentures are bothering me and they needs a soaking.  And stop being a creep with that stupid laugh!  Oh, that wasn't you?  Then who was it?  The stupid game?  Yeah, sure.  Whatever.  It says the end.  There's no need for it to LAUGH when you won.  Now GET OFF MY LAWN! *shakes fist*

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's an improvement.

BTW, does this run have deaths in it?
Thread title:  
Fucking Weeaboo
Yes.  He purposely restarts just before Andross, in the same spot as the old run.
You got a deletion wish?
Yeah, think of it as intentional or formerly known as death abuse.

Edit: Who the hell was verifier #5?!
We all scream for Eyes Cream
Quote from MatrixTN:

Based on this line...

Quote:
And I suppose you thinking all temples are like that.  One simple large tunnel right down the middle, huh?  Why, I remember going into one.  Giant boulder chased me through all sorts of twists and turns, while I'm dodging all sorts of things trying to trip me up.  Almost lost my hat!  $10 hat too...EXPENSIVE, I SAY.  That nearly cost me a lot of money.

An old Indiana Jones.
Highly Evolved
Quote from Axel Ryman:
Quote from MatrixTN:

Based on this line...

Quote:

An old Indiana Jones.

Or a devil spawn of him and Cranky Kong.
Congratulations on being accepted!  Grin

Also, LOL@Verifier 5
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Looks like this run was pretty good according to those responses  Wink

I'm usually able to beat Andross's robot face Psonar style, but for whatever reason in this run I was "off" on his weakspot which cost some seconds. Also, I do realize the restart was a pretty bad decision in retrospect, but I had just done a run where I skipped the restart, and I crashed through 3 gates, with the 3rd one taking a wing off (I was not damaged prior to this). That made me super cautious in this run, and I did it almost automatically. I also hesitated crashing into more than 3 gates in the video anyways, so me using the restart was pretty futile  Undecided

Aside from that, Fortuna and Bolse went just as I planned, although Fortuna suffered a tad from an unnecessary 4th bomb after Starwolf had already exploded.

I'm surprised to see that Indiana Jones decided to verify my run... what an honor.  Tongue

Quote from Verifier #1:
Question now is if our new runner is going to try to topple Psonar's red and 100 runs?

I've been thinking about routes for the 100% run on and off, and I think there's definitely improvement to be done. The only questions I have are: How fast can I reset in the run? As soon as I kill the boss, at the score count, or at the medal animation? Should it be segmented, or a SS to put up a fair fight with Psonar's run?

I haven't looked into his redline run yet, but I'll likely check it out. Does it have to be in expert though?
Long live SF64!
I dropped off the face of the world for some time and happened to find this thread almost by chance... Zallard and I go pretty darn far back and I'm very proud that he did the game some much needed justice.

If the forums are properly perused you'll find that I made the run in question as almost an afterthought in order to be sure that my Single Segment Expert Mode 100% All Medals Run (or whatever) was sitting next to TSA's drunken Cinco de Mayo joke run that he did of the game previously.  And now I'm glad that a true Star Fox 64 gamer showed how it's done.  In the older era of high scoring I managed to get my "Total Hits" score up to 7th place on the rankings at n64highscores.com back in the Spring of 2006.  Since then Zallard and many others have revolutionized how high scores are even achieved and Zallard his risen to near the top if not the very top in Total Hits and many of the individual level scores.  I haven't made a single high score record since that Spring in 2006, did some low score stuff over the summer that year, then recorded my 3 speedruns almost entirely within the month of September 2006.  Since then I've likely logged less than 5 hours playing the game.  I think my records deserve to be beaten by Zallard because of his commitment to the game which hasn't faded or burnt out over the years.  I'm glad that I've moved on and I'm glad that I'm not making speed runs anymore (I made 2 more after the Star Fox 64 runs).  But I also love that this community still exists and is still growing and evolving.  SDA is one of my favorite communities that I've been a part of, and I'm glad to see Zallard joining it by owning me at our game.

Sorry for ranting - awesome work Zallard - I can't wait to see the run.

PS
If you challenge my 100% run, I would really love if you did it all in 1 sitting.  I did that because I was trying to think of the most epic possible way to speedrun the game.  I remember sitting around the lunch table in middle school around 12 years ago taking about which medals everyone had gotten and which remained.  Back when getting all the medals in Expert Mode was this awesome challenge we enjoyed together.  Of course once you've done it, it's over though, and the only replay value is in high scores, right?  That's where I wanted speedrunning, high scoring, and game completion to meet.  I wanted to capture elements of speedrunning (mostly planet order strategy), game completion (the entire breadth of achievements available in the game), and the high scoring elements that you are so familiar with, especially through the use of high scoring tricks and the Charged Unlocked Shot.  Either do a segmented run because it's easier to record (which would fall in a differet category than mine), or do a single segment run (with the 2 restarts).  That would be my advice, if anyone were asking.

Oh yeah... and it seems I owe you $25 for the bounty I placed on the game some time ago...
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Thanks for nice words, Psonar! Your run was no joke to take on though, I want you to know that. I've never tried a speedrun before, so I never knew how easy it is to ruin it all (Bolse liked doing this to me for a bit).

I think whenever I try to do the 100% run, I'll do it single segment. It'll be very tough to make a run that won't irritate me though, since high scoring habits tend to make me restart as soon as the slightest mistake is made.

I've kicked the ideas around for a bit though. My plans with the 100% run is basically to arrange the 3 routes backwards from your run, making the most difficult run first (entire red route) since the most annoying parts of the run will be taken out first. SY boss would likely ruin most of my runs being it's so late in your path, as well as Starwolf on Venom. The only problem with this is that the run will end abruptly, which might be kind of lame looking. I've also arranged that the 2nd path should contain Katina, since that place is also very random and sometimes brutal on the wings. Also, assuming the Macbeth explosion wastes time, Macbeth should only go to Bolse. The final route should be the easiest so it's less likely to ruin it later, so the most straightforward levels are at the end. This makes the path I'm thinking of:

CO-SY-AQ-ZO-SZ-A6-VE-reset
CO-ME-KA-SO-MA-BO-reset
CO-ME-FO-SX-TI-end

Although, if ending on dull Titania is really frowned upon, another path could be...

CO-SY-AQ-ZO-SZ-reset
CO-ME-FO-SX-TI-BO-reset
CO-ME-KA-SO-MA-A6-VE2-end

Problems I see with this route though:

1) Macbeth needs the long A6 ending (still assuming it's long).
2) Katina has a bad placement way later in the run than I'd want.
3) Obvious, but Venom is last and can lead to complications easily.

It'd be cool if I got some input on what folks would like to see with the routes. Even though this game is capable of being spedran (is that considered a word here?), the run I did feels boring to watch. I'm sure this is why you dreamt up the 100% run, Psonar, so I want to make sure whenever get to it, that it has the same impact of being an appealing highscore/speed hybrid.

I have no ideas on the red route though, I guess it would just be to go fast and not die. I guess I'm capable of making big scary walls of text too  Wink

P.S. You really owe me 25 bucks? I kinda thought that was a joke or something that Verifier 1 mentioned.
You got a deletion wish?
Z - You apparently haven't read the bounty thread.  Pso has a $50 bounty for the 100.

As for route, I believe it should end with the game being beaten, bottom line.

And V1 was me.
Visit my profile to see my runs!
Psonar:  Long time no see, buddy.  Glad you're back.  Btw, you really should join the crew for the next charity event and play Starfox 64 (obviously) during the marathon!

Zallard:  Yeah, I'd also suggest you try to end the run with the final boss.  Your second route looks fine to me. Why are you worried about Katina?  That one shouldn't be too difficult, I think.  Also, Psonar and I did some testing and it does not seem that either exit from Macbeth is much more time consuming, despite how it feels.  It's just a few seconds, if anything. 
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
I never knew a bounty thread existed. Some of those requests on that list sound pretty extreme! I actually watched the 1 life run that Tom Votava did on TMNT 3: Manhattan project, and it blew me and my friend away. Makes a bit more sense now; he did it for the bounty  Grin

As far as ending on Venom, I'm cool with that. I made that first route so that mistakes would be minimized during the run, but aesthetically it seems ending on Titania would be a downer; ending on Venom will be a must. Ah, nice to hear that Macbeth makes no difference. I'm actually glad Macbeth doesn't have that problem, it makes switching to the other path easier. I also worry about Katina because of how easy it is to break your wing there. In Psonar's run, he brakes it somewhat early, which makes killing the dozens of enemies a bit more time consuming. If I got routes 1 and 2 down pretty well, but screw up badly on Katina in route 3, I'd probably end up scrapping the entire run and trying again. I'd feel better about messing up early than messing up a great run way later.

Anyways, I think this would solve that little problem of mine:

CO-SY-AQ-ZO-SZ-reset
CO-ME-KA-SX-TI-BO-reset
CO-ME-FO-SO-MA-A6-VE2-end

This pushes Katina up an entire route, while allowing Starwolf to drop by Bolse for a quick 44 points. It also leaves some of the easiest medals for the final route while still allowing me to take out Venom as the final planet. It even lets me destroy Starwolf twice in the same run!
Edit history:
Psonar: 2010-01-10 06:44:55 am
Long live SF64!
My only initial thought is that you'll need to keep teammates alive on Katina and Bolse... the easiest way on Katina is to kill teammates on the 2nd pass through Corneria (I did that....) then on Bolse it means you have to protect teammates, while trying to end the level, while making sure to medal (no much of a problem).  I mention teammates because they must all survive to achieve the medal of course.

Just some random thoughts... also if you strongly feel you need to move the redline levels forward in the run to make it feasible then that is your choice since you will be investing the time.  It is likely that with the same amount of time a higher quality run could be produced that way, but I think that even if it was a few seconds longer or contained a few more mistakes, ending the run with the end credits gives you a gajillion more brownie points and really makes the run a solid cohesive achievement.  There is just something good and right about the video ending with the credits - no one will be scratching there head wondering why you continued after beating Andross or why you stopped after Titania or some other random level.  It's your time, but if you want a happy audience as well (and happy verifiers?) then I'd end with Andross and the final credits.

Another piece of unrequested advice... do at least 1 or 2 complete start to finish recorded attempts before you get in the habit of restarting after every mistake.  It's good to get a feel for how long the run is and what problems you might encounter in an actual run that you didn't anticipate in practice.  I always began my speedruns with a messy first attempt with like an hour's worth of mistakes and retries.  That initial messy run was then the basis of my practice on individual levels and such.

Good luck!

I may drop in and out of existence, but I'm glad to have popped back in when I did!  Good luck!

edit:
Just realized this was the verification thread and not the game thread... let's move future run discussion back over to the other thread.... I've copied the last several posts here into a post over there... http://speeddemosarchive.com/forum/index.php/topic,5125.270.html