My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Zack 'zallard1' Allard's run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Hola senor,
  The house is indeed splattered.

Audio/Visual is good.
No cheating, game is hard enough that it wouldn't help anyway.

Stage 1 is excellent
Stage 2 is what you'd expect
Stage 3 was great, boss fight was hot
Stage 4 I'm tempted to just accept at this very moment for the dancing in the mirror, clean boss fight too
Stage 5 Never cared for the auto scroll levels.  The runner is King for figuring out this boss fight like that.  Damn scientific!
Stage 6 Bubbletastic
Stage 7 Runner is on fire, pun intended.

Did he just beat this game deathless?  And with speed?

Job well done indeed.  Bonus for doing all the research alone, I can vouch there isn't anything out there to learn from.
This run gets my TG-16 seal of approval.  ACCEPT!  Anybody who disagrees deserves to die in a fire.

Quote:
Comments on the 13:42 Splatterhouse run.

I'll begin to deal with the technical details. Audio and video are fine and nothing is out of synch. Also there are no known cheats for Splatterhouse so no cheating there. I also saw v0 and v1 of that run while discussing strategies and the time went from 14:49 to 13:54 to 13:42 that is submitted here. The strategies are the same, but generally better executed in newer runs. v0 and v1 were played on the Wii VC though. At the same time, the fact it works on both the VC and teh TG16 makes the run legitimate to me. The main difference between the two versions is the sound when hit something, which is more "punchy" than the Wii VC version. I invite readers to compare the sound of the run presented here to the sound of v1 presented in the following video:

Character starts moving at 0:02 and the last hit on the final boss lands at 13:45. So maybe 13:43 would be a better time IMHO. However, a separate jury may double check on this.

First of all the run has some mistakes, but none of them particularly time costing, except maybe for the fifth boss. However, enemy movement is totally random and some things can't be prevented. I'll go into details.

Things to consider. Getting hit is not as bad as let's say Castlevania as the recoil animation is very short and doesn't completely kill the momentum. Thus to me getting hit, while not encouraged, is not a run killer. However, as mentioned, he gets hit quite often in stage 5, which asks more caution against the boss. However, he more than makes up for it in stage 6 and with four hearts, the last boss goes down fast thanks to a very aggressive approach. I would like to compare the damage taken to the Symphony of the Night run on XBLA. Just before the Death battle, Andrew 'romscout' Schroeder gets hit by Gaibon and flies all over the place, which costs time, yet the run was accepted. I feel the same about stage 5 in Splatterhouse: it is VERY difficult to do it to perfection due to the luck involved.

Comments stage by stage, times in (). The time is the time I see on the timer of the video player if someone wants to check out what I mean.

Stage 1 (0:02 to 1:05)
Nothing to say here. Keeps pushing forward except to avoid the second puking enemy. Getting hit would have cost more time.

Stage 2 (1:17 to 3:08)
Great stage. Misses the slide at 1:28, however the kick still manages to kill the enemy. No appreciable time lost here. Very unlucky chair here (2:40) but it goes down very quick anyway. The knives go smoothly and the paint is killed by a single slide. The same holds true on the Wii VC so this is a legit trick in the game.

Stage 3 (3:20 to 4:02)
Superb in every way. The slide is used efficiently as is the shotgun. Did you see Biggy Man. Once again the strategy proved to work on the Wii VC. It is a very quick kill well worthy of being on SDA.

Stage 4 (4:12 to 7:12)
Auto scrolling stages for the lose. Try as you may, the scrolling speed decides how fast you can make it. It's really hard to judge based on that. However, you can same time when reaching the boss by never attacking the floating heads. The boss goes down relatively quick. One hit cannot hit two things, so you have to remove heads circling the blue head to actually hit the boss. Once that is done, three passes are what is acceptable to me for a speedy kill. It may be possible to do it in two passes, but it requires incredible luck as the heads that attack are totally random. Tne last hit, by jumping, is very cool. So once again great execution here.

Stage 5 (7:22 to 10:24)
Difficult stage. The chairs are actually random and if you check the video on youtube ( it's possible to do it better, but it requires luck. If you make it to stage 5 the way he did, screw luck and play it safer. I doesn't waste a whole lot of time and saves health, a resource desperately needed in stage 5. In fact, having less than 5 health would probably mean a reset. Lost maybe a second at 7:58 while waiting for the hand to jump. However, getting hit at 8:05 was reset worthy to me, but then I remembered the Symphony of the Night run. In part three, in the water, everything went smoothly as did the necromancer fight. The slide kick saved at least two seconds as it would have been necessary to wait for the necromancer to do another passage. The kennel fight went very well except for the hit at 9:17. This made me uncomfortable for the boss. The biggest time loss of the entire run occured at 9:49 as the transformation sequence is very time consuming. However it could not be avoided unless a hit was taken, but with only two hearts remaining, it would probably have spelled the doom of the runner. However the second transformation was avoided entirely and the hit at 10:05 didn't cost a lot of time.

I will add that as a great Splatterhouse fan, stage 5 is a nightmare. It is difficult and the boss is the hardest boss in the game. Even though there are mistakes here and there, I am impressed by how the runner kept pushing on.

Stage 6 (10:35 to 12:08)
Auto-scrolling stage. The boss goes down fast. The slide is not faster than punching as you have to gather momentum and jump to operate the slide. There's some caution against the boss, which is ok as it allows a very aggressive approach to the final boss.

Stage 7 (12:19 to 13:45)
Slide at the beginning and the end are the only time savers as you have to wait for the fire demons to go away and the logs prevent sliding. Dodging rocks during the last boss is more time consuming than getting hit so having four hearts makes the boss a breeze.

On a personal note, this run is IMPRESSIVE. The only hiccup in the run happens in stage 5 but the other parts are so smooth that it makes me forgetabout that. And besides, it's not cringe worthy to me. It leaves room for improvement if the stage 5 boss could go a little better. Still, skipping at least one transformation saved a lot of time.

Future improvements the runner could try to perform:
- not missing the slide in stage 2
- not getting hit by the chair in the stage 2 boss
- not getting hit at all in stage 5
- not getting hit in stage 5 would allow for a very aggressive approach to the boss and skip both transformations

I highly doubt any runner could defeat this time for the time being. The strategies have been developed and are genuine and the guy discovered them by himself, which is no small feat. Most notable are the Biggy Man fight (boss 3) and the transformation skips during boss 5.

I need the SDA staff to be aware that I knew about this run before submitting for verification as Zallard had shown it to me with a private youtube video. It is, however, the EXACT same run. And I assure you I'm 100% impartial in my appreciation of the run. I was VERY impressed when I first saw it and I still am every time I watch it because apart from stage 5, EVERYTHING is mighty polished. People also need to know that Splatterhouse is not an easy game the first time you pick it up and it came back to me when I played it after a couple of months hiatus. I will also mention that I am the one who told Zallard to submit to SDA and he was not sure he should submit. I believed his run met all the SDA standards. In fact, I challenge people to beat his time Smiley

Verdict: ACCEPTED

Dominique

Quote:
I just watched this run this morning and I completely agree with Keeper that the run is impressive. Honestly, the only things that really seemed improvable were the first two areas of stage 5, an extra "help me!" skip, and maybe ending the Jennifer battle farther to the right side of the screen. The last one really wasn't the runner's fault at all though, because she hops around randomly.

So yeah, it's an amazing run. A very strong yes vote.

Quote:
Audio and video are very much approved.

Play begins when the player begins moving, around 0:02 so I'd say 13:43 is a bit more accurate.

This run is very impressive from a standpoint of someone that's finished it numerous times. Getting hit has a bit of recoil, and costs a little time but the enemy movement can be somewhat random. Second, the sliding kick input is to hit down + forward and attack and is way harder to execute consistently then the runner makes it look. I was very impressed with this.

Stage breakdowns:

Stage 1: Totally awesome, love the bit at the end before the boss.

Stage 2: A single missed slidekick, but again I have to iterate on how difficult it is to do that consistently. Bit of bad luck with the chair at the possessed room, but the rest of the fight is ace. Love the goofy russian dance at the end.

Stage 3: Amazing stage and the Biggie Man fight is disgustingly good, I had no idea it was even possible to kill him that fast, bravo.

Stage 4: The amazing adventures of autoscroll, the dancing to the music makes this level fun to watch and the clones are dealt with very nicely. Good boss fight, the floating head *or cross in the arcade/JP version* can be rather obnoxious, nice work.

Stage 5: The hand room is always something of an annoyance. The little martian looking guy jumping back was some bad luck and the hit with the hand at the end was no big deal, I blame the alien demon whatevers for slowing you down earlier. Fantastic improv at the boss battle, I knew of the 1/6/6 and so on trick and know how tough it is to execute, getting one HELP ME isn't so bad though. Especially considering how random the boss really is.

Stage 6: My most hated stage, I always had trouble with this one. Also, so much autoscrolling in this game, it's difficult to save time anywhere in this one heh but you did a great job. The Heart fight was very nice.

Stage 7: The final boss can be nasty to new players, you basically need 4/5 health to survive and if you aren't expecting the hands it's so easy to die. The rocks are totally random and can easily take you straight down with bad luck. I believe the boss takes a ridiculous 40 punches before finally dying. Captain Mozarella is more like Captain Damage Sponge. The gung ho strats work.

Overall, very nice work on the runner's part. Splatterhouse is not an easy game even playing normally, so my final verdict...

Verdict: ACCEPT

I look forward to seeing any other runs you may do, as well as possible improvements to this one. once again, good job.

-UltraJMan

Decision: Accept

Reason: Our first Splatterhouse run!
Thread title:  
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Rick loves to dance to pass the time; little known fact about him Tongue

Oh damn, I forgot to mention ending stages 3 and 5 near the right side of the screen saves time in my comments. It does suck that I ended on the left side of the screen on the Jennifer fight, but again I couldn't do too much about it. In retrospect, I could've attempted to attack her from the left instead of the right, but I didn't have too much room to pull off a slide from where she landed, so that would have been a huge risk.

Also, I'm cool with the timing being 13:43. I usually time stuff by throwing it in virtual dub and cutting it off from the frame I see Rick move, to the frame I see my score count go up 100k from the final boss dying. I forget the exact remainder from cutting it like this, so I'm guessing it's high enough to be rounded up.

Glad to help add to the (hopefully growing) TG-16 library of runs for this site! Thanks to everyone verifying as well! I'm happy to see the run was ok enough for SDA Cheesy
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
That mirror dancin' was a fun surprise. Very nice run, glad to see the TG-16 library expanding.