Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/SonicRidersZeroGravity.html

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (ntscus) (wii/ps2) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Heroes Story]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'arielus05'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (ntscus) (wii/ps2) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Heroes Story]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/SonicRidersZeroGravity-20230305/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
Looks like all the previous runs were rejected (for A/V reasons which don't apply here, this one's all good) so we don't have a previous SDA run to compare against. The competition as evidenced in the speedrun.com leaderboard is probably not the most intense (though this run is the record) so I'm having to go by visual here.

Well the visual is every bit as confusing as the previous submission! I mean there's no obvious mistakes? Things look purposefull throughout. Apparently this run took quite a while to get too?

The runner starts speaking into the mic (which I didn't hear at all during the run) at 8:43, which is just a few seconds after time. Because it's after time, it probably won't lead into a rejection but it would have been nice to have clean footage showing at least the final in-game time (shown at 8:44) if not the whole end cutscene too. So do you have a clean raw without your celebration in it? We have nothing against celebrating your successes but it's not the SDA way to have anything extra on the main audio track. You are welcome to record a dedicated commentary track or just write your thoughts in a text format of course.

Did you refine the strats yourself or just execute them better than previous runners?
Edit history:
arielus05: 2023-03-11 09:09:18 am
Quote from LotBlind:
Looks like all the previous runs were rejected (for A/V reasons which don't apply here, this one's all good) so we don't have a previous SDA run to compare against. The competition as evidenced in the speedrun.com leaderboard is probably not the most intense (though this run is the record) so I'm having to go by visual here.

Well the visual is every bit as confusing as the previous submission! I mean there's no obvious mistakes? Things look purposefull throughout. Apparently this run took quite a while to get too?

The runner starts speaking into the mic (which I didn't hear at all during the run) at 8:43, which is just a few seconds after time. Because it's after time, it probably won't lead into a rejection but it would have been nice to have clean footage showing at least the final in-game time (shown at 8:44) if not the whole end cutscene too. So do you have a clean raw without your celebration in it? We have nothing against celebrating your successes but it's not the SDA way to have anything extra on the main audio track. You are welcome to record a dedicated commentary track or just write your thoughts in a text format of course.

Did you refine the strats yourself or just execute them better than previous runners?

About the run, it took me roughly 2 years playing on-and-off to get, starting attempts seriously in the end of June 2021. Before attempting to get this world record, I was solely an IL runner of the game starting in July 2020. There are 0 major mistakes about the run, and the only improvements you can make (that are RTA viable at the moment) are incorporating a strat that saves 3-4 seconds on Aquatic Capital (fourth track) when doing the glitch laps 1 and 2, an early lap 3 on Gigan Rocks (fifth track) that is insanely rare and inconsistent to get that saves about a second, and optimization. Comparing this run to the sum of best segments for Heroes Story (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pVkzejy9Du1MnkatrAKE87D4YpaoGTK2CGsXMJnyda8/edit), it is only ~11 seconds behind it (not including the new Aquatic Capital best split because that is way too difficult to be pulled off during a run at the moment). That may seem far off, but the reason why is because Botanical Kingdom is the biggest roadblock in the run (being harder than every other track in the run combined), and so, all runners have focused on playing consistently/safe after Botanical Kingdom. From what I have heard from the SR:ZG community and from my own opinion, the run is really good, and the reason why I chose to submit it into Speed Demos Archive in the first place is because someone asked me on speedrun.com to do so. Smiley

Anyway, I sadly do not have a clean raw without the celebration in it, or else, yeah, I would submitted the videos using that raw instead. I chose to not include the end cutscene in the videos because I thought SDA wouldn't like to have it included (it lasts around ~4 minutes and you can faintly hear me talk while it's going on), but if you want, I could re-record the videos and submit them with the ending cutscene.

Lastly, to answer the last question, it was a mix of both. I believe that because I started off as an IL runner, my optimization on these tracks were greatly higher than compared to the other runners who started off straight into playing for Heroes Story record (especially since I hold all the IL World Records on the tracks present in Heroes Story). At the same time, I did find some timesaves/strats that are used in the run.

Tracks listed in chronological order:
-Megalo Station: After respawning from doing the glitch and turning around to get the 100GP capsule, I refined the strategy by doing a gravity drift into the wall, so when I bonk it, it turns me around without having to make my gravity drift go roughly 180 degrees into the ramp. That saved a few tenths every lap.
-Botanical Kingdom: I saved around a second each doing the glitch laps 1 and 3 due to optimization.
-MeteorTech Premises: I just optimized doing the glitch route.
-Aquatic Capital: I saved a few tenths doing the glitch laps 1 and 3, but more notably while doing the fly skip in lap 2, I found that by doing an up-and-down motion when flying to the slide, I preserved more of the speed than if I went straight to it (or holding neutral), and I believe that also saved a few tenths compared to the previous WR.
-Gigan Rocks: I found a strat that cancels all your speed right at the start (by starting a gravity dive right before you bonk into a wall head-on), which is essential because on lap 1, you have to turn around to do the glitch. That saved ~2s compared to the previous WR due to them having to wait out for their speed to go to 0 before going back to do the glitch.
-Crimson Crater: The glitch route used in the run was found by me, and is the best RTA viable glitch route that can be used for Heroes Story. It saves around 2 seconds to the old WR strategy that was used in the past, but it was also incorporated in the previous WR.

The rest of the timesave in the run compared to the previous WR is all due to sheer optimization, which I say is what makes up the majority of the 22s saved.

If you have any more questions about the run or videos, please feel free to ask!

P.S.: I am sorry for the audio desync in the videos. I decided to use the raw instead of the already mostly edited video I had (the one I uploaded to YT), because I didn't want to risk the quality being too compressed after using yua to re-render it and I wasn't sure if I was allowed to use that instead of the raw in the first place. If I am allowed to, is it fine if I re-upload the videos but with the audio not being desynced this time around (with the full ending cutscene included)?
Okay, that's great to hear, all the details about how this run came to be and what it's merits are (by current best knowledge)!

By re-record the videos, do you mean splicing in a clean version of the end cutscene after the footage of this record attempt or what exactly? The end cutscene is definitely not any kind of requirement but the footage will cut off a little bit abruptly if we chop off everything from the point forward where you start speaking. One option would be to mute the video at that point. We really can't violate the rule of no extra audio in my view. I hope you understand.

Yeah, it's usually the order in which I recommend going: from ILs or segmented runs into SS runs but sadly most people just do SS. I'm glad you spent time optimizing things so much! Don't hesitate to submit your ILs too if they happen to have clean footage. And also feel free to incorporate comments like what you wrote in the last reply about the strategies used. Even if those watching the run don't know the game (and in some sense all the more so), they'll be keen to hear something about what goes into it. This game is very very confusing without it Cheesy

So the audio desync: is it a constant desync from start to finish? It's almost imperceptible to someone who doesn't play the game. I mean if you use yua the quality options go up to something very very high so I think whatever (HQ or higher) it spits out won't be too compressed or anything. I might not have understood the question but you can always ask in the "tech support" part of the forum if you can't get the desired result. In any case an audio desync should be an easy fix so shouldn't affect whether this can be accepted.

I think I've got enough info for a verdict for now Wink

accept!
Edit history:
arielus05: 2023-03-12 11:16:41 am
Quote from LotBlind:
So the audio desync: is it a constant desync from start to finish? It's almost imperceptible to someone who doesn't play the game.

Yeah it is a constant desync from start to finish, where the audio is around ~0.4s ahead of the video, but if it is imperceptible to those who don't play the game, then I am fine with just keeping that there.

Quote from LotBlind:
The end cutscene is definitely not any kind of requirement but the footage will cut off a little bit abruptly if we chop off everything from the point forward where you start speaking. One option would be to mute the video at that point. We really can't violate the rule of no extra audio in my view. I hope you understand.

Well, it is what it is. I just wish my capture software put it as a separate audio track, but for the future, I now know to be sure about that Tongue

Quote from LotBlind:
Don't hesitate to submit your ILs too if they happen to have clean footage.

I might! It would be a lot of records though, so if or when I do, I will only submit the ones I think are extremely well.

Quote from LotBlind:
And also feel free to incorporate comments like what you wrote in the last reply about the strategies used. Even if those watching the run don't know the game (and in some sense all the more so), they'll be keen to hear something about what goes into it. This game is very very confusing without it Cheesy

Speaking of which, is something I will do for this run after realizing how much I could/should explain about this run. I will upload the comments for this run later as a result Smiley

Quote from LotBlind:
By re-record the videos, do you mean splicing in a clean version of the end cutscene after the footage of this record attempt or what exactly?

I was just going to add in the ending cutscene present in the recording, but now that I know that there can't be extra audio, that wouldn't work out. I could splice in a clean version of the end cutscene if I wanted to, but there wouldn't be a point since I can't do anything about me talking almost immediately after setting the record.

Anyway, I'm glad this record got accepted! thumbsup
Desync: No, it's worth fixing. The run might stay up for a long time and we have high quality standards for a reason so such things don't detract from the viewing experience for anyone. Let me know if you'll do it (and the audio mute thing or however we decide to handle the post-timing mic sounds) yourself or if we should do it and I'll make a note of it. Either is okay.

You can set up your recording in a way so you have one audio track that's always just the game audio and a second track that's anything you like if you're streaming or whatever. It's super-easy to do (at least in OBS) and doesn't increase the CPU load much either. Here's a tutorial.

ILs: Looks like the game has 16 levels? In cases where there's a lot of ILs (more like 30+ but depends on the game), we've started allowing submissions that contain just e.g. one half of them, like levels 1–15. However, in this case we would have to receive a full table of ILs in the initial submission. Just having a partially-filled table of ILs isn't great for the viewing experience. So if you decide to go ahead with it (which I would personally love to see), you'd have to submit all the levels. So there's a challenge for you to get them all to the same high standards! And with ILs, in case this wasn't clear, you just send us one submission and that submission will have all the ILs linked to it. I've never done it myself so I can't tell you how exactly you do that but just ask if it's unclear.

Yeah, those run comments will not be hated on! Hahaha, it's very unclear what's happening through half of it though of course the gist is you're activating checkpoints in unintended ways like in many other racing games. Most recently submitted runs have great written commentary if you would like something to inspire you with your own comments.

verdict: The actual verdict comes in on the due date in the thread title. I just gave my own for now and even though I'm a staffer, that's not a guarantee it will be the same. There's a pretty high correlation tho Wink
Quote from LotBlind:
Desync: No, it's worth fixing. The run might stay up for a long time and we have high quality standards for a reason so such things don't detract from the viewing experience for anyone. Let me know if you'll do it (and the audio mute thing or however we decide to handle the post-timing mic sounds) yourself or if we should do it and I'll make a note of it. Either is okay.

I think it would be best for you guys to fix the audio desync and the muting of the audio for me.

Quote from LotBlind:
You can set up your recording in a way so you have one audio track that's always just the game audio and a second track that's anything you like if you're streaming or whatever. It's super-easy to do (at least in OBS) and doesn't increase the CPU load much either. Here's a tutorial.

Also, I will be using that tutorial to help me with audio, thank you!

Quote from LotBlind:
ILs: Looks like the game has 16 levels? In cases where there's a lot of ILs (more like 30+ but depends on the game), we've started allowing submissions that contain just e.g. one half of them, like levels 1–15. However, in this case we would have to receive a full table of ILs in the initial submission. Just having a partially-filled table of ILs isn't great for the viewing experience. So if you decide to go ahead with it (which I would personally love to see), you'd have to submit all the levels. So there's a challenge for you to get them all to the same high standards!

Ah, that means I would have to redo 3 of those tracks then because some were recorded with my phone camera when I was unable to use my capture card at one point. One thing that I have to clarify, though. I play on both Wii and Wii U (Wii when I sometimes need to play with the GameCube Controller, Wii U just with the Wii remote), and my recordings between the two are acceptable, but they won't be consistent throughout the montage or compilation. For example, this is a Wii U recording, and this is a Wii recording. I think it's obvious to see the difference.
Okay, I'm making notes for the person who'll do the encodes for the run. Honestly the end cutscene isn't so crucial so we'll just leave in the part before the loading screen.

ILs: The Wii vs. Wii U thing... That's an unusual situation! The aspect ratios differ, which at least is obvious to notice. We've had a run or two where the quality of the recording goes up as the run progresses (segmented or ILs of course) but... this one requires some thinking so if you are ready to redo the phone camera records and you decide to submit an ILs table for us, let's bring this up again and see what we should do. To be clear, gameplay on those systems is otherwise exactly identical, down to any and all lag?
Quote from LotBlind:
ILs: The Wii vs. Wii U thing... That's an unusual situation! The aspect ratios differ, which at least is obvious to notice. We've had a run or two where the quality of the recording goes up as the run progresses (segmented or ILs of course) but... this one requires some thinking so if you are ready to redo the phone camera records and you decide to submit an ILs table for us, let's bring this up again and see what we should do. To be clear, gameplay on those systems is otherwise exactly identical, down to any and all lag?

For ILs, yes, is exactly identical. For Heroes Story, the only thing that is different between the two system is the loading times between the courses, and that is primarily the reason why on speedrun.com, the game is run using IGT.
A/V: Looks good to me.

Just like LotBlind, I also have trouble picking out the audio desync. But when knowing about it, you can hear it for example when rings are collected. I think it would be a pity to publish this run with the audio desync, even if most people probably won't notice. We can fix it in the exisiting files after the verification.

As for the audio commentary at the end, this situation has to my knowledge not been discussed before on SDA, so I think it's up for debate if it should be muted or kept as it is (I'm definitely not in favor of splicing in another audio track for this part). My vote goes to keeping it as it is. It's outside the timed portion of the run and the commentary is neither offensive nor does it risk exploding any speakers.

Gameplay: As already pointed out, the glitches used in this run make it pretty difficult to know what's going on for someone who isn't already very knowledgeable about the game. Gotta love when the glitching starts though and the game basically goes
- "Nope, don't do that"
- "No, no, not that way"
- "Please stop now"
- "Wait I'm the game and even I'm confused now"
- "If you don't stop now, I will take matters in my own hands"
but then to cave in with - "sigh, ok, I'll just give you a completed lap then, just don't do this again"
and finally - "Oh no, here we go again...". :-)

Thank you very much for the detailed and technical run comments. It's always nice to see runners take the time to document their achievements and this run is definitely worthy of it. I won't pretend like every single detail suddenly makes sense now, but it's at least a lot clearer. Even though it's difficult to fully assess this run without game knowledge, it's pretty clear that this is a very optimized and impressive run.

Congrats on the run and this is in my book a very clear

ACCEPT
Decision posted.