Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
SDAVerification: 2023-01-10 01:29:26 pm
SDAVerification: 2023-01-03 01:22:41 pm
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Sonic Maze Craze () (flash) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Decision: Reject

Reason: See decision for https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/sonic_maze_craze__january_10_2023.html

https://queue.speeddemosarchive.com/verificationfiles/2437/

This run will be available for a month. After that these link(s) will no longer work.
Thread title:  
Run Information

Sonic Maze Craze () (flash) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/SonicMazeCraze-20221209/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
Dragon Power Supreme
Bias disclaimer: I saw the runner's previous run in this submission and it was very slow (59 seconds IGT), especially in the last level, and within a few hours I've been able to push it down to 30 seconds and submitted it to SDA.
This run is 29 seconds IGT and the 1 second improvement comes from level 1 where the runner finishes in 2 seconds compared to my 3 seconds.
[/disclaimer]

This run was submitted within hours of my submission. I have to ask whether this is therefore optimized considering this is a 30 seconds improvement that was submitted so freaking quickly.

Game overview: this is a simple enough maze game where you have to move sonic's shoes to the finish, avoiding walls and enemies. The first couple of levels aren't hard but the third one is stupid with the 1 tile width. Reminds me of those jumpscare maze games from the old days...

I'll give the runner a big + on handling navigation, especially on level 3, because sonic's shoes also have their own animation where they slightly move forwards, meaning they can collide with the wall on their own and lose you the run. Lost many attempts myself.

Onto the run:
- Level 1 optimal, hats off
- Level 2 looks great, nearly lost the next second at the end there
- Level 3 looks great except the ending, which (compared to my run) is definitely slower. Comparing the two side by side this level can be done one second faster.

Considering the runner submitted within hours of my submission, it shows it is not optimized.

Reject until 28 seconds gets submitted.
Edit history:
RockoSonicFan: 2022-12-17 02:34:26 pm
Done except this one is 27 seconds. I also submitted that run just now
Edit history:
RockoSonicFan: 2022-12-18 01:09:28 pm
Make that 26 seconds, which I've also just submitted.

Due to the Christmas holidays, this verification will be extended to the new year.
Ok so is it gonna be the 1st, 2nd, 3rd?
Dragon Power Supreme
I'm rejecting the above run as I managed to improve the final level to 15 seconds (vs 19 above).
Ok here's the 15 on the final level

For information, only one run will be hosted. If there is a tie, the first submitted run has precedence. Since israeliRD posted his 22s run first, a 21s run would now be required.
Edit history:
RockoSonicFan: 2023-01-03 06:37:44 pm
Then I have something that'll beat not only 22s, but also 21s as well.
IsraeliRD found the same trick (= toggle full-screen allows you to go wherever you want) before the holidays and it was discussed at the time in a chat with the admin team.

There are two ways to look at it. While it's always difficult to talk about developer intent, one can argue that developers of flash games don't intend for playing in full-screen. Taking this approach would then violate the "native resolution" clause of the rules. On the other hand, allowing going out of bounds in this way would make the run trivial and therefore trigger the "triviality" clause of the rules. Either way, it pointed towards not using this trick (for SDA-submissions).

In hindsight, this information should have been shared here in the open forum and not kept in a closed chat.
Just to correct something that was said in the previous post. I noticed yesterday that going outside the play area also works in windowed mode (and not only in full screen). You need to hold down the left mouse button for it to work though.

And since I don't think it has been mentioned anywhere yet, this game can be found with the app "Flashpoint".
Decision posted.