Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
SDAVerification: 2023-01-10 01:28:24 pm
SDAVerification: 2023-01-03 01:22:20 pm
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Sonic Maze Craze () (flash) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Decision: Reject

Reason: As far as SDA goes, the "Out of Bounds" (OOB) and "inbounds" routes are not separated into different categories. However, going OOB in each level leaves very little gameplay left for a speedrun. The conclusion is unfortunately that this game (at least this category) is not suitable for SDA-submissions.

https://queue.speeddemosarchive.com/verificationfiles/2438/

This run will be available for a month. After that these link(s) will no longer work.
Thread title:  
Run Information

Sonic Maze Craze () (flash) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/SonicMazeCraze-20221213/SonicMazeCraze-22Secs-VCopy.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
Edit history:
RockoSonicFan: 2023-01-03 04:20:03 pm
RockoSonicFan: 2023-01-03 04:19:45 pm
Btw I made a new submission of it in the submission form.

3 seconds for Sonic Maze Craze, 'nuff said

This is well played. Difficult to say if there is another second to cut in the last level or not. To the naked eye and to someone not having played this game for more than a few seconds, it looks pretty close to optimal to me.

My issue with this game is the fact that you can go "out of bounds" in every level, as demonstrated above. At first I thought this was only possible in full-screen, which would have been a questionable setting for a flash game. But it turns out the same trick also works in windowed mode. Should there then be two categories for this game? One for oob and one for inbounds? From the point of view of defining such categories, they would (with today's knowledge) be easy to separate. But the question is how many categories are needed for such a short game? Speedrunning as a whole is full of examples with speedrunners having found shortcuts by going unintended ways. This is encouraged and generally only lead to new categories if the skips are big enough.

In my opinion, you're still beating all the levels when going oob. And considering how easy it is to do, I think one even needs to be careful talking about "out of bounds" and "unintended shortcuts" in cases like this. It's probably not intended, but without knowing more about the background, it could just as well be an easter egg. I'm therefore in favor of keeping everything in one category. However, giong oob is pretty much a trivial win. I admit that it's not completely trivial to ark around the levels, but it's comparatively much easier than navigating the maze.

I'm leaning towards a reject on this one.
Decision posted.