Got caught at boxes

Bigfoot--
Nice

Wild Canyon--
Got caught at the boxes, otherwise good

Prison Eggman--
Good fight

Prison Lane--
Impressive despite the errors (mentioned by runner)

Metal Harbor--
Good

Shadow in Green Forest--
Good

Green Forest--
Good, only very minor errors

Pumpkin Hill--
Ditto

Mission Street--
Same

Aquatic Mine--
See above

Route 101--
Most excellent! Very nice.

Hidden Base--
Didn't shoot the very first explosives as early as possible, possibly because of enemy? Still, not even half a second lost, nice level

Pyramid Cave--
Ouch, gets caught by ghost. Is that unavoidable if you do a spindash there?

Death Chamber--
Some minor screwups here, most obvious part is getting the first key (already mentioned by runner), but nothing tragic.
Why did you collect two hints for the second key?

Boom Boo--
Wow.

Egg Golem--
Missed just as often as hit, but it's damn tough. Only a few seconds of slowdown.

Eternal Engine--
Nice hover across that somersault-updraft part.

Meteor Herd--
Misses last shard twice

Rouge--
Good fight

Crazy Gadget--
1) Holy. Crap.
2) "No.. YES!"
3) Misses switch near the beginning, costs maybe a second. Still refer to #1 though

Colony Eggman--
Pretty good

Final Rush--
Uses a time-wasting jump instead of rail-switch after the big pillar-circle near the start. However, I don't blame him for this one.
What's with the random bounce? (Where he collects the red vial)

Final Shadow--
Nicely timed, decent

The seconds lost on most levels could be counted on a hand, and almost all of the mistakes (except maybe two that I can think of) don't appear to cost anything outside of a second. With a game this fast-paced, I definitely don't think anything breached the acceptable margin of error.

Overall, very nicely done. Very. He used the fastest route, including well-executed OOBs, and the execution was, in general, quite impressive. Definitely showed complete mastery of the game and a high standard of play. Crazy Gadget in particular rocked my world. Also, no A/V anomalies, the video quality was good, and I didn't see anything that could've been cheating.

Accepted.

Quote:
Video: Is there a better quality available? The resolution is very low...
Audio: Perfect Quality, only mono, but that's OK

Stage 1: Not best possible time, but almost perfect, some little mistakes, nothing important, not more than 1,5 seconds wasted
Big Foot: No mistakes
Stage 2: Two bigger mistakes, cost ca. 4 seconds (But all Knuckles Stages are nearly impossible to do perfect; the time is good enough)
Dr. Eggman: No noteworthy mistakes
Stage 3: No noteworthy mistake found
Stage 4: Woosh, NICE 1! Never saw this level done so fast, some tricks are really impressive...
Shadow #1: Fast, no mistakes.
Stage 5: Again some really cool tricks, one little mistake, but it isn't possible to play through the game without doing this mistake one time, happens to everyone sooner or later and costs 0,1 seconds
Stage 6: Pretty good for a Knuckles Stage
Stage 7: One really small mistake, costs not more than 0,2 seconds
Stage 8: Wow, that was cool...
Stage 9: Crashed with some walls and one car, costs maybe 0,2 seconds
Stage 10: Some really good much-time-saving tricks, no mistakes
Stage 11: Few tricks that save some time, one of them more than 10 seconds
Stage 12: Some little mistakes, but an impressive time for this normally never-ending level
King Boom Boo: Done as fast as possible, really hard thing
Egg Golem: Don't think it's possible to do it faster, 0,3 seconds maybe, not more
Stage 13: Lost some time with this blue enemy, maybe 1 second, hit one laser, costs 0,2 seconds
Stage 14: Wasted 3 seconds with the last emerald piece
Rouge: Done as fast as possible
Stage 15: OH MY GOD! Nice gravity trick, saves maybe... 1 minute? Without using other possible tricks, of course...
Eggman #2: Flawless.
Stage 16: Some really small mistakes, some nice tricks.
Shadow #2: Well done.

All in all, a really good run, some really impressive tricks in it. I think you can overlook the few mistakes, it is nearly impossible not to do some of them. I play this game since at least 5 years, and I think I'm able to say that this run is good enough for SDA.
NOTE: I didn't read the text from the speedrunner before writing this to get a clear view on what I see. Now while reading the runners notes I see I forgot some mistakes.
Please excuse my bad vocabulary, I'm not native speaker...

Quote:
This is just a quick note to say that the audio and video quality are good, there is no cheating present (believe it or not!), the gameplay is obscenely good, and that this run should be accepted post haste.

Now for the bulk of my comments, I'm going to explain some things about the run that might have people scratching their heads. You see, Sonic Adventure 2 is a -very- broken game, and knowing why he's able to do certain things and not others requires a relatively good understanding of the game.

For starters, in Metal Harbor you may notice the runner spindash towards, and then run straight under, a low ceiling that he should have to slide under. If you try this at home you will crash straight into the wall and bounce off. The reason he is able to do this is because if you are pressing B as you go under, the game assumes you are about to start a slide and lets you through.

Then at the end of the level he spindashes right up to the top of the rocket in one shot. This acts the same as ramp jumping in older Sonic games, but it seems much more exaggerated in this game.

In Green Forest the runner jumps out of and back into some loops from underneath. These floors (and I guess pretty much all floors in the game) have top-solidity but not bottom-solidity, so you can pass through them like this. I guess passing through them in this way was never expected to be possible.

In Aquatic Mine he passes straight through a solid wall (!). Knuckles and Rouge in particular have the ability to basically glide through any solid wall, if they have an object adjacent to them like this one. From there it's a typical case of moving into the seam with enough speed so that the collision detection doesn't work properly and you pass through.

Route 101 has a very odd method of movement. The runner explains it well in the comments but basically you maintain speed better if you are in the sliding position, which means that weaving around like that is actually faster than driving a straight line!

In Hidden Base the runner passes through what appears to be a solid wall. Many walls in this game were never expected to be reached by a player and therefore they don't have any solidity, they're just textures. This is one such wall. Knowing which walls are and are not solid is vital to understanding the rest of the run.

In Pyramid Cave, the first key door is skipped with a superbounce - this is also explained in the comments but basically by spindashing into a wall and then bouncing, that speed is "transferred" into the bounce and you go ridiculously high. Up to a certain height this wall is solid, once he exceeds that height he can pass through. The second key door is skipped by passing through the seam - this is a much harder trick than it looks! Many loops are also skipped. By the way, he avoids the boosters in the tunnels because they actually slow you down at the speeds you're going.

Egg Golem... What he's aiming to do here is superbounce off a wall that is roughly as tall as Sonic with a very zoomed-out camera. This, as you may have guessed, is very difficult, because bouncing slightly too late sends you over the top of the wall and into the quicksand. As a result, the time here can be far better (as much as 30 seconds better) but the strategy is so direct that even missing this many attempts is still faster than the old strategy (compare with yoshifan's run which comes in at a similar time here).

Crazy Gadget has the sickest trick in the entire run. Everything happens perhaps slower than you might expect it to because the walls on the left hand side are solid, but they're also not intended to be stood on, so Sonic can't stand on them but he doesn't fall through, so he just goes into the falling animation. The centrepiece is the bounce past the tube entry and out into open space and, thanks to the way the level is structured, straight to the goal ring! I've never personally tried this trick myself (and no longer have the game so I can't) but it appears to be quite difficult with the shifting camera. It is quite the insane trick to be pulling out this late in a run!

Final Rush has one slightly WTF moment: at the end of the circular rail he jumps up instead of doing a rail switch. This has to do with the location of the kill plane at the bottom here; it is actually quite possible to perform a perfect rail switch from the right of the two rails onto the rail in the middle of nowhere, and in doing so pass through the kill plane and die. This costs maybe a couple of seconds over a perfect rail switch that does not trigger a death, and is a much saner way of approaching the problem.

In general the mistakes are there, but either really unnoticable or really forgivable. Egg Golem on paper is the biggest, but that's still an improvement. Random emerald luck always sucks too - Death Chamber had really bad locations. Probably the biggest mistake in the entire run was missing that last emerald twice in Meteor Herd, but moving ones are always painful to hit.

Refer to my first paragraph for decision.

Quote:
-The mistakes toward the end of City Escape are unfortunate. He could've gotten under 1:50 easily. Still, a 15 second improvement ain't nothing to sneeze at.
-Perfect Big Foot fight. About 12 seconds saved there.
-Tiny slipups in Wild Canyon, but still about 8 seconds saved.
-He actually lost a second on the first Eggman fight. Oh well.
-Barely a second behind in Prison Lane. He missed the first gate shortcut, but the current run missed the second. Overall this level in this run looked a bit sloppier.
-Metal Harbor was impressive. The new stuff saved him 10 seconds.
-Shadow 1 was perfect. Saved 4 seconds.
-Green Forest was cool. A difference of about 4.5 seconds.
-NIce luck in Pumpkin Hill. He saved about 18 seconds in this stage.
-Mission Street is almost dead even with the current run.
-Even nicer luck in Aquatic Mine. Also cool wall clipping at the end. He almost cut the current run's time in half!
-Yawn Route 101. He lost a second and a half, likely from going into the "pit" areas near the checkpoints.
-More wall clipping in Hidden Base. Nice job. Saved 5 seconds.
-The shortcuts in Pyramid Cave are really nice. I hate those keys, and apparently the runner does too. About 28 seconds saved from these new tricks.
-His luck ran out a bit in Death Chamber. That last key was a doozy, OOB glitch or not. He lost 23 seconds here.
-I love seeing KBB get singlecycled. He managed to save a fraction of a second, too.
-Despite messing up Superbounce quite a lot, his Egg Golem fight is still about 3 seconds quicker. And I love the extra Take That at the end.
-I was expecting more brokenness from Eternal Engine. I was spoiled by videos hovering out of bounds to the goal ring. Still, this was very nice, very impressive. Very little time gain, though.
-His luck came back just in time for Meteor Herd, but then started to go away on the last shard. That shmuck didn't want to cooperate. Still saved a second.
-Rouge fight is perfect. Half a second gained, too.
-I love how broken Crazy Gadget has become. Took a while to setup, but it's well worth it. About 41 seconds difference.
-Lost about 2 seconds on the second Eggman fight.
-Final Rush was very impressive. The new strats saved about 18 seconds.
-I don't like his method of fighting Shadow the second time. It seems riskier than the current run's strat, with little reward. It is half a second saved, but still.

The numbers don't lie. Almost 3 minutes worth of improvement are present in this run. How can I not accept? Great job. Can't wait to see if the Dark story gets the same treatment.

Quote:
I got impressed by how much you managed save so much time, in some momments, you got a little of bad luck, giving a slower time on some stage (not counting Knuckles stages, due to being realy luck based), and you got good luck on Knuckle's stages aswell. I accept this run as an improvement.

PS: Would Mike accept a IL runs while the characters have all items?

Quote:
audio/video quality is fine, the run is very good, with no deaths and only a few mistakes, i cant imagine the work it must have taken to be able to know where the gems are in the hunting stages based on 1 or maybe 2 tvs (and yet i know where every star in super mario 64 is by heart, odd). overall a very clean run and it was very entertaining to watch (i loved all the out of bounds sections). ACCEPT

Quote:
First of all, I did the old 32-minute speedrun for the Hero story.  Just thought I'd throw that out there, since I'm going to directly compare this run to my old run at times.  Sorry if this is kind of long-winded, but I think this run deserves a thorough commentary!

Video and audio are good.  No cheating detected.

City Escape - 1:52.75
Despite not having the Bounce Bracelet, the runner gets nice speed on the rails using well-timed homing attacks.  Good job on getting the spindash through the loop, that can be finicky at times.  After the last checkpoint, the runner flew off of two hills, but from my memory I would consider that a relatively good truck chase (perfect ones are hard to come by, and seem to take some luck).
In the rest of the level there are a couple of minor errors, but nothing major at all.  This level can be a lot harder to run well than it seems; my very best time here *with* the Bounce is 1:48.

Big Foot - 0:22.97
Flawless.  The camera can make this fight surprisingly annoying to do. (Not that I'm making excuses for my old run, though!)

Wild Canyon - 0:31.97
The runner mentions the mistakes. (I wonder if the third monitor was missed because the runner reached it too early after the second monitor?)  Still, great time, and there was pretty much no hesitation after reading just one hint.  The second piece was collected really fast.

Eggman 1 - 0:13.95
The runner probably got hit a bit earlier than they expected to, so the rhythm for an optimal four hits was thrown off.  Only lost about a second though.

Prison Lane - 1:44.87
The two jump-on-the-lowering-railing tricks are tricky to do.  The runner misses the first one by slowing down a bit and getting hit, but succeeds at the second one with some smooth moves. (Conversely, in my run, I got the first one and missed the second one.)

There is actually an easier method of shooting the door-trigger enemy in the second-to-last room.  You can lock onto the enemy when you're still in the previous hallway, and shoot it from there.  This would mainly just help for consistency, though, and since the runner was already quick in this room, it would only save about 1 second.  I didn't include this trick in my own run, because I didn't know about it at the time.

Metal Harbor - 1:25.47
Whoa... scary edge grab at around 15 seconds.

Extremely good non-bounce strategies.  Some tricks looked risky and pretty tough to do.  The rocket handle was reached incredibly quickly with a huge spindash-jump off a slope.  Very impressive.

Shadow 1 - 0:12.49
Went flawlessly; Shadow didn't block any of the hits.

Green Forest - 1:35.27
Very clean run, with at least three timesavers over my run, including two loop skips.  (Personally, I never found a way to do these loop skips in a way that noticeably saved time - it seems the runner has this covered well, though.)  The runner says he omitted some tricks, but overall there was a nice amount of risky stuff already.

Pumpkin Hill - 0:40.44
Great execution.  Maybe a little hesitation towards the second piece, but that's it.  And the third piece was very close to the second piece.  40 is really good here.

Mission Street - 2:21.17
The runner caught the moving platform at 1:34, and the end of the level went smoothly.  That's pretty much all one can ask for.

Aquatic Mine - 0:36.54
Not only did the runner get one piece out of order, the runner also went through the wall to get to the last piece more quickly!  Got through the wall on the first try, too.  I didn't know you could go through the wall at that particular spot (I know of a different, similar spot though).  36 is a really good time for this stage, and I think it was due to the runner's knowledge just as much as it was due to luck.

Route 101 - 2:17.75
Maybe this could've been 1 or 2 seconds faster with slightly better boost management.  1 or 2 seconds is not a big deal in this run, though.

Hidden Base - 1:52.02
The runner saves 5 seconds over my old run, largely due to two new (slightly risky) tricks at the beginning.  I remember I thought the pass through the wall was a bit risky; occasionally, I would get caught on the wall and get dragged down, which meant death.  It looks like the runner knows how to avoid this, though.  Anyway, this was a solid level throughout.

Pyramid Cave - 1:39.67
Here's where the runner really gets to show their complete mastery of the Sonic levels.  Both keys (the ones you pick up and throw) are skipped, and the door is clipped through on the first try!  I still haven't tried this door clip myself, but from what I've heard, getting through on the first try is absolutely amazing.  Near the end, loop skips are executed very quickly, and the bounce is used in many places to speed up.  Under 1:40 is an incredible time here.

Death Chamber - 1:35.40
The first key *might* have taken less time if the runner went back to the red room after reading the hint, instead of going through the center room.  But it's an easy mistake to make.  Sometimes I just go to the center room while I'm thinking about what the hint meant, and which direction I should go.  The runner may have done that here.

Ouch, the second key forces the runner to go from green to blue, which is just about as far away as you can get.  Then the third key makes him go from blue to green!

This is a tough level to navigate.  Despite a few difficulties, the runner made nice use of punches and especially wall clips.  The finish was awesome.  By my standards, I would actually call this an average time in Death Chamber, not a bad time.

King Boom Boo - 0:45.94
Pretty much as fast as we can expect here.  You could potentially save a second or so by hitting the hourglass faster, but if you approach too soon, you risk having King Boom Boo notice and turn around, which wastes massive amounts of time.

Egg Golem - 0:53.55
This bounce strategy's an absolute pain to do, which is why I didn't do it in my run... the time can potentially get under 30 seconds, but it's really unlikely.  Still, the runner did well enough to beat my time.  Also, nice sixth hit.

Eternal Engine - 3:03.52
The beginning was going great; the runner was 3 whole seconds faster than me at the 1:05 checkpoint.  But then... I think the runner was too close to the artifical chaos to punch it?  I'm not sure, but what happened was odd.  If not for that, there might've been a chance of catching the moving platforms one earlier cycle (as the runner points out), which could save like 7 seconds.  Still, it's not like I managed it either.

I think the runner was nearly 2 seconds behind me after the last descent, but the position of the platform allowed the runner to shoot the targets more quickly, resulting in nearly the same time.

Meteor Herd - 0:46.22
Wow, pretty close to ideal locations.  Of course, there was some trouble with the moving emerald piece, but still a very good time.

Rouge - 0:16.37
One small mistake, but this fight was played aggressively enough that the time turned out very well.  The first hit's always scary, since there's a chance of death.

Crazy Gadget - 1:15.59
I've never tried this strategy myself, but it looks *extremely* tricky and risky.  What makes it particularly dramatic is that you can't bail out of this complex strategy once you've decided to push that left-arrow switch: there's no turning back.  And the runner pulled it off so late in a run... I'm speechless!

Eggman 2 - 0:20.69
The part after the second hit looked pretty scary to me... a second laser hit would've meant death!  A couple of seconds were lost due to using the punch (which usually does less damage than a bullet), but the runner didn't die, and that's all I care about in this fight.

Final Rush - 2:14.90
The runner blasts through this level fearlessly, employing very fast and risky strategies.  At the end of the speedrun, this is absolutely incredible!  Some tricks were completely new to me, and some of them I had tried before, but decided not to do in my run because they seemed too risky to me.  In my eyes, the runner has completely mastered this level.

Shadow 2 - 0:29.50
The runner tries hitting Shadow very soon after Chaos Spear, at the minor expense of taking damage.  However, since the runner using a spindash to use Shadow, the runner sometimes needs to move forward a bit to make sure there isn't a gap immediately ahead.  This means Shadow has to move a little farther ahead, too, which slows things a little bit.  So the time approximately evens out with my strategy.

There is a different strategy that can get under 20 seconds, but from my experience it's extremely awkward to do.

Total - 29:09.01

Bosses were slightly better than the old run.  Outside of Egg Golem, which is almost always a mess, no major mistakes were made.

Tails levels were about as good as the old run, and actually a little faster overall.

Knuckles levels had overall great luck and excellent navigation, with new wall-clipping glitches put to great use.  There were four awesome times and one okay time.

Sonic levels were absolutely amazing, with very few mistakes and all sorts of new tricks, many of which demand very tight execution to work well at all.  From start to finish, the runner went for a ton of risky strategies.  Minutes were saved over the old run.  I could not possibly ask for more from these levels.

Overall, this is an extremely solid run, with lots of risk and minimal mistakes.  It's a dream come true for 3D Sonic players.  If my comments ever seem kind of neutral or negative, it's just because I am trying to explain stuff, or I am hoping that the runner gets to learn something from my comments.  But I never had any doubt that this would be a...

Definite ACCEPT!  The runner is my hero.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a really big improvement over the current run.
Thread title:  
Everybody loves Hypnotoad!
Watched this run on YT, it's awesome stuff.  Glad to see it'll be on the site.  Though my run will look kind of inadequate next to his...

Well, here's hoping he tries the Dark Story soon.
fucking .gif....
what..when...what!....SHIT *needs to see this now*
Yes, a cucco riding the ground.
Great run! I liked all the glitches, especially in Crazy Gadget.
Weegee Time
Crazy Gadget and Final Rush alone make this run worth watching.  Really enjoyed it this morning.
The Great Farming Empire
Epic run. My favorite part was Crazy Gadget for obvious reasons.