Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2010-08-15 02:10:33 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Single-segment 100% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
All synched with no graphical glitches. No cheats either.

The route is optimised to include character switches where it's an advantage, and the abilities of various combinations are used often. The last few bosses perhaps don't go according to plan, but as they're late in a single-segment run they can be let slide. They're compensated for by generally great level runs. It'd take an encyclopaedic knowledge of the game and amazing skill to beat this run, so it's an accept.

PS. On the topic of timing: there might be a problem with the first credits. I don't know if this game does, but a lot of handheld games only show the '[company] of Europe' credits on the European version, making that version's credits slightly longer. I don't know which version this was, but it might be a problem if we're using manual timing. The game clock seems accurate, but that would be complex.

Quote:
So, we'll start with the standard stuff.  No cheating, good video quality.  Actually, when was the last time a run was rejected due to video quality?  I know I've never done it.

Anyways, though, the quality of the run itself is...a bit questionable.  There are a lot of noticeable mistakes, especially the unintentional deaths (though I'm not exactly the best person to be criticizing for that... >_>).  Still, flawless execution of the special stages is good, and the run did still show some impressive stuff.  Not to mention the rather bad luck factors he mentioned, which always suck in a SS run.

Hmm...I'll give this run a weak accept.  I think its merits outweigh its flaws, but I could understand if the other verifiers reject.

Also, that was one hell of a commentary.  I think Psonar's still got him beat, but still...

Quote:
I'll vote "may" to this.

There's a couple of comically bad moments, the most notable of which is a death on the final boss, and the Cyber Track boss taking forever. Also, though it's been a while since I've played, I believe you can save a chunk of time by exiting out of the final boss fight with the quit option after being sent there, but I'm not sure. It may just be me having misread or misremembered something I read a long time ago. There's some other moments worth noting, but I've been experiencing technical difficulties, and just want to get this sent out.

I talked to the runner about the mixed nature of responses:

Quote:
me: oh hey we went over this but I forgot
me: should I accept your sonic advance 3 run?
me: it was accepted
me: but not very strongly
Runner: well I'm still on the fence about it myself
Runner: I'm not very happy with it (the end in particular)
Runner: but on the other hand me improving it in a short space of time is very unlikely
Runner: I think in light of the much improved standards that it should be rejected, to be honest

Decision: Reject

Reason: The runner rejected it himself.

PM me if you want to see the run, I'm keeping it up for about a month.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
mike89: 2010-08-15 06:18:00 pm
SEGA Junkie
Sounds like Mike talked me into rejecting my own run!

Some quick responses first:

Quote from Verifier 3:
Also, though it's been a while since I've played, I believe you can save a chunk of time by exiting out of the final boss fight with the quit option after being sent there, but I'm not sure. It may just be me having misread or misremembered something I read a long time ago. There's some other moments worth noting, but I've been experiencing technical difficulties, and just want to get this sent out.

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to here... what do you hope to achieve by exiting out of the final boss? All that will happen is you'll have to go back and fight it again.

Quote from Verifier 1:
PS. On the topic of timing: there might be a problem with the first credits. I don't know if this game does, but a lot of handheld games only show the '[company] of Europe' credits on the European version, making that version's credits slightly longer.

Huh, that's interesting. I was wondering if timing wouldn't count the first credits anyway, though I included them in my timing just to be sure (which came out to 1:25:59).

Right, now the fun part. I know I can improve this run, but not by very much. Here's my timings for the mistakes in the run:
Route 99 1: 8 seconds
Ocean Base 2: 10 seconds (though this was still my best time, which should say a lot)
Toy Kingdom 3: 15 seconds
Toy Kingdom 2: 10 seconds
Toy Kingdom 1: 8 seconds (the other one wasn't my fault)
Twinkle Snow 2: 3 seconds
Cyber Track 1: 5 seconds
Cyber Track 2: 8 seconds
Cyber Track 3: 12 seconds (plus whatever time it takes for the level to load again)
Chaos Angel 1: 15 seconds
Altar Emerald revisited: ~60 seconds Sad
Nonaggression: 8 seconds

So with perfect execution I would save less than three minutes - and that's not even considering the generally good boss luck I had this run (watch Ocean Base boss if you don't believe me). If even one of those keys doesn't appear in the right place (Sunset Hill 2, Ocean Base 3, Twinkle Snow 3), I lose a minute because I have to play the level again. The last of these keys is 45+ minutes into the run. I am not of a mind to restart a run 45 minutes in due to luck factors.

The only thing that caused me to offer the rejection was the Altar Emerald boss at the end. I invoke the venerable Radix, via tri-hex:

Quote from Radix:
A couple of deaths at the end of a single-segment run is acceptable. Dozens of deaths in a segmented run? I don't think so.

to indicate that the death at the end might have been acceptable in 2006. But this is 2010 and standards have improved significantly. The flip side, as I mentioned, is that it is quite unlikely I will beat this run, and very unlikely that I will beat it by more than a minute.
Generic Text
Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to here... what do you hope to achieve by exiting out of the final boss? All that will happen is you'll have to go back and fight it again.

I believe you'll be able to move on to Nonaggression without facing the not-final boss twice. Like I said though, I'm not sure fully sure about this.
SEGA Junkie
I'm almost certain you can't quit out of Altar Emerald (or any level for that matter) without having beaten it once. It would certainly be nice, and I've explored a few different options, but it looks like the only one that works is waiting out the credits. Sad