Sad
page  <- 123456789101112131415161718 -> <- 1 .. 8 .. 18 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
SEGA Junkie
While I'm making stuff available for you guys, here's a test run my girlfriend and I did of co-op mode back in January. You'll need the re-recording version of Gens to play it (we used re-records for demonstration purposes). There's a couple of tricks we're going to use that aren't in this one, too. If anyone has any questions about how they work, just ask!

I can't remember what I timed this at, but I think it was somewhere around the 38 minute mark. When this is done for real I'd like it to obsolete the existing Sonic run, which is really poor, especially by today's standards.
Visit my profile to see my runs!
Is anyone else having framerate problems with Mike's ustream videos?

I'm tempted to think it's my shitty computer (I would test the videos on my laptop, but I'm having it repaired at the moment), but the weird thing is that I also encountered framerate problems after I downloaded them and watched them in VLC.  It's just horribly choppy.  Nevertheless, I imagine the problem is still on my end, but I'd just like some confirmation.  I know sometimes it can look pretty clear from the host's end if they do not check the actual stream itself (which shows what others are seeing), after all.

EDIT:  Actually, never mind.  It's probably the computer. 
contraddicted
Mike has, according to himself, problems with his upstream.
So the unfortunately slightly choppy experience is not (only) because of your PC.
Edit history:
mike89: 2010-07-22 07:03:01 am
SEGA Junkie
So as some of you guys know by now I've got myself a capture card and can make actual attempts now. After 41 attempts and counting, my first completion was Knuckles in 34:23... with just one slight problem. I inexplicably died in Flying Battery 2. Sad I think I'll post a video of that death later because its just too awesome to be left in the annals of time.

The level times, for the curious:

AI: 51 / 46
HC: 57 / 1:18 +7 (for the intentional death)
MG: 1:04 / 1:07
CN: 1:01 / 49
IC: 1:25 / 1:26
LB: 2:22 / 2:42
MH: 1:29 / 1:24
FB: 1:58 / 3:28 (plus about 30 seconds for dying :()
SO: 2:09 / 3:07
LR: 1:55 / 1:43
HP: 9
SS: 1:06

Instinctively, I think there's at least another minute to be saved, but getting all of it in one go and not getting screwed in places that were nice to me this run is not particularly likely. I think 33:30 is the target for now though.

EDIT: attached the video of the amazing death.

Attachment:
Formerly known as Skullboy
The death: I think Knuckles got a bit confused when he hit the side of the platform if he was still spin-dashing or just spinning because of the thing that makes you spin. Perhaps the spinner's range went slightly farther then usual? That spot can sometimes be difficult anyways. I don't know how many lives I lost there before deciding to go down a floor instead.

Glad to see a co-op run in the works. 
SEGA Junkie
Here's a couple more for you:

wise fwom yo gwave
lmao at these bloopers, the 2nd one is just super typical lol. i have so many bloopers when i run sonic games its ridiculous, i still remember my metropolis 3 the first single segment i did was basically a never ending blooper real with the spike boxes.
SEGA Junkie
Heaps more bloopers, no more results. Sad

Sadly, the Launch Base 2 one (I think its #7) came after by far my best run through the Sonic 3 half yet: had I done that halfway decently I would have come in at 15:30, my best prior to that being 15:57.

SEGA Junkie
I don't know whether to be encouraged by all the downloads of my blooper videos. Are you all going to download the proper run when it's finished, or just laugh at me? Tongue

Speaking of proper runs, I -nearly- got a full run out tonight. I was most unimpressed with myself when I died in the last challenging level in the game, Lava Reef 1. >:/ That's going to be another blooper before too long, by the way.

Level times in that one:
AI: 50 / 45
HC: 56 / 1:18 +2
MG: 1:04 / 1:20
CN: 1:01 / 46
IC: 1:19 / 1:26
LB: 2:15 / 2:29 [15:31]
MH: 1:24 / 1:35
FB: 2:02 / 3:32
SO: 2:03 / 3:10

Of those the only levels I was really disappointed with were MG2 (which is just random, it's going to be the bane of my existence for a long time to come) and MH2, on which I royally fucked up the boss. Having already screwed up the level a bit I thought I'd go for the riskier 6-hit strategy and completely screwed it up, managing two hits in total before he disappeared off to the side. It was made even worse when I realised my level time wasn't actually that bad after all. Oh well.

If the rest of the run had been on target this would have come in at around 33:55. Sad
Talk to the Hand
I'll download it, don't worry! Having fun laughing at you in the meantime, though. Tongue
SEGA Junkie
Oh, you better download this one.

AI: 50 / 46
HC: 1:03 / 1:17 +4
MG: 59 / 1:06
CN: 59 / 44
IC: 1:21 / 1:24
LB: 2:15 / 2:27
MH: 1:15 / 1:22
FB: 2:06 / 3:00 (!!!)
SO: 1:58 / 3:06
LR: 1:39 / 1:45
SS: 1:11

Total time: 32:46

That's right, four minutes and nine seconds of improvement!

Flying Battery 2 deserves a mention. All my other runs have had FB2 in the 3:30-3:40 range, but in this run I hit a one-in-a-million trick and passed through the laser wall in FB2, allowing me to skip the miniboss. Given this was a rather ordinary run through the rest of the stage, this probably saved me about 40 seconds. Going through the rest of the levels, instinctively I think there's only about 40 seconds improvement even if I did them flawlessly, so unless I somehow hit this trick again there's no way I'll improve this time. I'm definitely submitting this run.

BTW there's still a few more bloopers sitting on my hard drive but at this stage encoding the actual run definitely takes precedence. Tongue
Wow, congratulations mike!  Looks like quite an above average result even without FB2.  Definitely looking forward to this.
SEGA Junkie
Here's an encode of the run. I was debating whether or not to put this up but it's only LQ and I'm also fairly sure it's encoded wrong, so maybe nate will see it and kick my ass for it. Tongue

I hope I'm imagining it but the sound seems to be out of sync too... and here I thought a capture card would fix all my problems.
SEGA Junkie
So I just discovered this yesterday and after messing around with it I think I know how to do it consistently. That puts Flying Battery 2 at about the 3:10 range, even without the laser boss skip.

This means I can do a new run ironing out all the mistakes which will also yield a better time, so it's time to redo.
wise fwom yo gwave
cool little glitch in fb2, reminds me of the sonic 1 sinking glitch in sb3.
Edit history:
mike89: 2010-08-11 10:45:53 pm
SEGA Junkie
OK I am livid with myself after that.

HC: 57 / 1:17 +3
MG: 59 / 58 (!!)
CN: 1:03 / 45
IC: 1:21 / 1:30
LB: 2:18 / 2:24 (15:11)
MH: 1:15 / 1:20
FB: 2:11 / 3:00
SO: 2:03 / 3:02
LR: 1:47 / 1:41
SS: 1:12

TOTAL: 32:51

... Sad

Five lousy seconds! That's the difference between the final boss diving at you or not diving at you. Sad

Marble Garden 2 deserves a mention because I finally have a consistent method of doing it now! Basically I forfeit the first attempt, glide onto the wall just below the slope, glide back towards the other slope and try again, which seems to work consistently! I don't have any idea why it does but it does.

Then the two worst parts were IC2 screwing me incredibly hard and not letting me through the last set of loops, and me having to take 14 seconds out to recover the situation, and Flying Battery 1 where I just lost 13 seconds to being dumb.

BTW now that I can handle MG2 I have to deal with the randomness of FB2, which is much further down the line and just as random! Hooray!

EDIT: forgot that I had one really good blooper death on this session, I present it to you as proof that my encoding woes are a thing of the past.

Attachment:
SEGA Junkie
Well, 670th time was nearly the charm... Sad

AI: 50 / 45
HC: 59 / 1:17 +2
MG: 1:03 / 1:00
CN: 58 / 43
IC: 1:18 / 1:14
LB: 2:16 / 2:27 (14:52!)
MH: 1:15 / 1:34
FB: 2:03 / 3:20
SO: 2:04 / 3:15
LR: 1:55 / 1:37
SS: 1:04

TOTAL: 33:08

As you can see I was a mile ahead after the S3 half but after MH2 the run really went to shit.

MH2: I jumped on the radar to hit the boss... and bounced straight back. Normally what happens is I'm up against the invisible wall on the right so I stay in place and get five hits. In this case I got -none-, which meant I had to get them all in the gauntlet. That probably cost me close to 20 seconds.
FB2: Random glitch at the start here went well, so the ~20 seconds I lost to my other run are all my own fault. The boss requires a fairly risky strategy to beat in two rounds, which I went for and failed -twice-, so it took me four rounds. I lost something like 18 seconds to that.
SO2: Everything was generally less favourable here thanks to being one second slower than usual on SO1, but missing the spindash up to Sonic's path at the end twice was also costly. Lost at least ten seconds here too
LR1: Completely flustered at this point, I actually set myself up to collect the 10 ring box instead of the fire shield at the end of the act (the fire shield is necessary for act 2) and completely missed a round of hits when I realised my mistake. At least 8 seconds lost here.

Those mistakes sum to almost a minute D: The worst part is that the S&K half is by far the easier half of the game to run, precisely because all the levels have timed objects everywhere and the levels can be divided into a race to each new timed object.
SEGA Junkie
Double posting because apparently you can't attach a file to an existing post. That's a little bit odd.

Attachment:
wise fwom yo gwave
Ugh I hate that shit so much, it always happens in spots that i forget to hold down/am not quick enough.
Talk to the Hand
The completely and utterly RANDOM "phantom death" in blooper 8 is probably my favorite to date. Seriously, what happened there?!
Edit history:
mike89: 2010-08-18 10:57:06 pm
SEGA Junkie
Quote from Emptyeye:
The completely and utterly RANDOM "phantom death" in blooper 8 is probably my favorite to date. Seriously, what happened there?!

Actually, that is highly important in doing the level properly. If you break a glide at just the right height above the floor you... just die. This is used to advantage at the start of the act to die as efficiently as possible to reset the level boundaries. (I thought I included that in the video... maybe not.)

And just when you thought it was safe to laugh at me, I have redeemed myself!

HC: 55 / 1:18 +2
MG: 1:06 / 1:05
CN: 58 / 44
IC: 1:18 / 1:17
LB: 2:21 / 2:25
MH: 1:14 / 1:19
FB: 2:03 / 2:29
SO: 2:03 / 3:15
LR: 1:46 / 1:35
SS: 1:14

TOTAL: 32:12

Right, I'm definitely submitting this one.

Believe it or not, I managed to hit the laser skip in FB2. Again. After a glitch that didn't waste too much time and a pretty handy rest of the level!

Still mistakes, of course:
MG1: tricky jump into Tails' path, missed it a couple of times, lost ~7 seconds
MG2: three round boss, ~8 seconds
LB1: missed the jump over the first zipline, lost ~5 seconds to that and unfavourable timed objects
SO2: hilariously botched the boss, ~8 seconds
LR1: kinda slow level, ~5 seconds
SS: boss dived at me twice, though that wasn't my fault. I did make 2-3 seconds of mistakes though

So about 30 seconds. I don't care. I'm submitting.
1-Up!
Congrats, mike89!
Legendary Dragoon
Yeah, congrats!  Cheesy
Edit history:
mike89: 2010-09-04 07:57:07 pm
SEGA Junkie
Flyingfox and I recorded a co-op run on ustream (well, most of one anyway) that serves as our starting point. It came in at 42:08.

Now we'll just record the real thing, targeting the 39 minute mark Cheesy
SEGA Junkie
We had a go at recording actual runs today. No completed runs, but this occurred at the end of our session and I've never seen it before...

Attachment: