Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2010-09-06 09:43:33 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Sonic3Knuckles.html

Mike 'mike89' Mckenzie's single-segment Knuckles run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Well first off the audio, and video quality is fine.

I detected no cheating unless you count the abuse of going through walls, and skipping large portions of the levels then there's a bunch of cheating.

Now onto the actual run itself.

I saw a few mistakes that cost some time, but weren't really major except for Sandopolis 2 which imo if he made any more mistakes here, and in Flying Battery 2 it would've cost him the run.

Carnival night zone 1, and 2 blew my mind as I've always had trouble with them, and to be honest it was enjoyable to see them be done so fast.

The Sandopolis boss I will admit I remember being a bit bigger, but that may be because I played Sonic, and Knuckles more then this game.

Mushroom Hill 1, and 2 went by so fast that I couldn't believe that they could be done so fast. (same goes for Angel island 1, and 2.)

Despite the amount of mistakes in this run I have to say accept, and would like to see him do a better run of this game in the future.

Quote:
AV: Good

Cheating: Heck No

Summery: Not much to say accept that he does a well rounded good run and chops a good little over 4 minutes off his old run (the old run). Other then that I think its as good as it gets unless more awesomeness comes along in the future.

Verdict: Accept with flying colors.

Quote:
This run is so good, I want to see Tails done to round out the game.

Accept because it's MIKE(89) MCKENZIE!

Yeah, it's yours truly again, and mike89 didn't reject his comments. All I can say is random spam doesn't mean you're funny, but it does turn you into a wretched forum meme.

Quote:
Dear People,

Today, on verification with the most insane verifier ever who is using restraint now, Yours Truly is verifying a Sonic game! A game series based around speed itself! The very essence of SPEED Demos Archive! Granted, it's really difficult to actually get any sort of speed in these games, but that's a non-issue here. Also, this one stars Knuckles. I mean, I like Knuckles and all, he's just kind of easy to play I mean. He jumps way too high. He's just super-cheap, is all.

But hey, I'm not here to complain about the choice of game or choice of character. Who wants to see a blue ball run around? Not I, says I! Besides, the game is Sonic 3 AND KNUCKLES, which many men seem to conveniently forget! And that is precisely the reason why I have decided to grace you with my presence on this very day! A day full of...

So let's not waste any more time. Wait, I haven't wasted time yet? Oh. Well, let's talk about current events, shall we? How 'bout them miners trapped down in that mine? Why do I bring this up, you ask? Why not? I mean, if that plan doesn't work, it really will be a current event for once rather than an event many weeks or months old depending on how fast the verification goes! What, you want justification? Okay, since we're talking about mines, I gotta bring up the question as to why no one has ran Endless Mine yet? Is it because they're racist? Lazy? Biased? Ugly? Maybe for the same reason why no one has ran any classic games perfectly capable of two-player with two-players yet? Who knows?

But anyway, in this splenderific speedrun, with comments even longer than this verification commentary, the latest bugs and glitches are exploited, thanks to nonsense being approved now. It's enough to satisfy any run breaker, however. As long as no one makes another version of this and replaces the super detailed and interesting comments that sound like a National Geographic should it be told by a classy happy and gay British guy as opposed to a boring Ass Pie therefore replacing the comments on the page forever and ever and losing the content. But in summary, this man knows his shit, from dog to bull, and this shit is good.

And now is the time where I can begin my level by level commentaries, which beat the shit out - just kidding! About the beating the shit out of, not my level by level commentaries. I'm still little 'ol me, just with a bit of restraint, because "everyone", by which mikey boy...wait wait wait. There's two of them now? The running man and mikey boy are both named mike!? It's like...double the mike! Anyway, mike the running man has great level by level comments you will no doubt enjoy reading when Break-wait, there's ANOTHER guy now!? Whatever, when whoever updates posts the run, which no doubt will come at a speed that is a disgrace to this very site, there will be much informatiation.

But here is now, and we are here, and mikey boy and "everyone", by which he means everyone who counts, complained, and if you didn't get the memo at 3:52PM on January 32nd 20XX, that, I have listened to their words. So now you get the best of both worlds! Or something that will piss off both fronts, whatever. But hey, it's suitable for just about all viewers now, and I do mean all viewers, so that's credit enough!

============

Angellic Island Mindfuck V1
Mindfuck? When you play as Knuckles, the floating island really is floating, as you can tell by the background of the level. But when you play as Sonic, it is in the water already! Does this mean the bad end of Knuckles' Story follows up the good end of Sonic's? Vice versa? Or what? It also ruins the idea of Sonic/Foxfag and Knuckles racing through the game (Knuckles beats them to some places on many occasions, but gets to Sandopolis later as shown by the ghosts being already released). This mindfuck actually raises more questions! But there are no questions about mike the running man's skill! He does so well he beats the previous run with Knuckles - also done by mike the running man - by a grand total of ZERO SECONDS!

Angellic Island Fuckyous V2
If the running man did not finish the previous level at 0:20, that's it. Attempt over man. Attempt over. If he did, he can still be dickied in the dick by this level. But of course, I am here, and you are reading this, so he wasn't dickied in the dick. But he was about 230 times, if my math is correct. Good thing it goes off beautifully, as the start of a run and if I had my way the rest of a run should!

Hydrodic City Youscrazy V1
mike the running man hasn't a care in the world. So much so that he runs backwards on water just because!

Hydrodic City Crazyman V2
daddy my brain hurts

Marble Sucks Alone so They Added a Garden Manhood V1
Let's all point and laugh at the running man. He failed. He failed hard. Not once but TWICE. Not "missed the last orb hahaahahaha" bad, but rather "shit this is a hard trick" bad. Also, he gets fucked by luck. Bad luck! One frame bad luck! Wasting one second! Luckily, the magic power of TELEPORTATION fixes everything. Almost. Kind of. Not really. But hey, it's apparantly 15 seconds faster than the last run.

Marble Sucks Alone so They Added a Garden Hood, Boyz n the V2
This level sucks and is now about zipping around at high nonsensical speeds.

Carnival After Dark, Boyz n THE BARRELS OH GOD THE BARRELS V1
Just speaking for the little guy. Or big guy, since maybe I'm in the minority who never had that problem. Since there is nothing to write about this level, I will write about VLC media player. It sucks how they took out the feature how speeding things up or slowing them down changes the pitch. That was fun to mess around with! Also, the area at the bottom is so fat this run only takes up half the possible room in the top.

Carnival After Dark, THE BARRELS OH GOD THE BARRELS nightmare V2
Slower than the previous run. The running man warned against reading too much into it. But I'm going to anyway. Or I would if the flash player didn't suck and let you skip around without having the whole thing load. So I'll just pretend that statement was about pretty flowers...damn it! Not good enough.

Ice Capped nightmaremode V1
Falling between icespikeballs with precision! Being impaled by icicles so he can spindash over ice! Screw ups that cost no time! That's what it's all about!

Ice Capped modeusoperanti V2
It looks like another one of them one frame doom traps occured at the very very end here. Not missing the last orb bad because one frame, one evil evil frame. And because the timer's stopped anyway. Theoretically he could've run off to take a shit and it still wouldn't have affected the overall time!

Lunch GO GO GO GOGO GO GO operantiemeraldstealy V1
Completely useless fire shield? Hell no! It saves a couple rings when you bump into spikey spinner. Rings and a shield which ideally shouldn't have been lost anyway, but saved nonetheless! Only to be lost soonafter anyway. Also, the slowing animation of an elevator? That gets stopped at one point. I don't know how or why or how much time it saved.

Lunch GO GO GO GOGO GO GO Emeraldstealystart V2
THERE IS SEVERE PLOT HOLING AT THIS POINT.

In S&K alone, Knuckles starts off on his adventure because Roboeggrobo tried to drop a bomb on him. It was not his baby, so he naturally got pissed and tried to kick his ass only for Metal Sonic to do so. But instead, the bomb dropping is moved here, and therefore the game makes no sense! Why is Knuckles running through!? There is no reason!

mike the running man, the devious little demon that he is, wanted to try a strategy that would stop the timer for the two bosses here. But mikey boy and Break "it" Down threatened to time those manually, so alas, he did not do it. This revelation seemed to be so crushing Knuckles was nearly crushed by the boss. Lady Luck was out for blood it seems. Or leaking blood.

Mushroom Hill Startofanewadventure V1
Check this shit out if you haven't already: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxXycBv3Rlk This level is done almost as spectacularly...nah, it's nowhere near that, but only because that is just that badass. Nah, he lost his shield and had to get another one to take on Axemaster 5000. Nah, it's not terrible.

Mushroom Hill Ofanewadventure V2
In this episode, misfortune leads to fortune, and lack of daring leads to some wasted time on the boss. Because it's not worth the risk, he says. Damn it! It's always about the risk! When I risk it up, I always rush Australia first and go from there, and you running men/women/bare minimum as human beings should have that mentality too!

Battery That Flies V1
In a word? Mindblowing. Sometimes good (great manuevering around those crazy handles that make you animate choppy, WILD GRAPHICS GLITCH appeared), sometimes bad (jumping off a flamethrower early, climbing right into a propeller). It's all good though, even if I still don't know why the those tiny taps as opposed to those super massive head smashes are not manipulated more. I swear it! It does it! I've seen it with my own two eyes! Or am I going crazy? Okay, crazier.

Battery That Flies V2
This is done horribly in a few spots. The running man takes three or four hits he should by no means should have! However, considering this is the fastest this level has ever been done in recorded human history, including with a sick skip of the first boss, I don't have the right to complain. But damn it, I should! Those are pretty fucking fugly fuck ups! Also, Robuttnik makes his first and only appearance here. And dies fast.

Worst Non-Water Non-Marble Zone V1
Well actually, this is okay at least. Until you reach the boss. Then it's a sign of the faggotry that awaits inside. Especially if you watch running men. Not that I'm a homophobe - gays gave us things like Wallace Wells, Huckleberry Hound, and other fab stuff.

Worst Non-Water Non-Marble Zone V2
The running (scared) man spends a little too much time running from the KKK for my tastes. My tastes and even his also say the boss suck. Where's my run where the music never starts, man!? You leave me hangin!

Lava V1
The level skip glitch, whatever that is (wait is that lava reef 1.5), is not attempted. Because he's playing Knuckles. Oh sure, he won't even TRY a potentially useful trick, but take a couple fireballs to the face or a centispike to the ass or get caught up on some ledges and you just keep smiling!? I will never, EEEEEEEVER understand running man logic. Or maybe it's slower, whatever. He really wasn't clear on this issue. I can't really describe this one in words besides that. Lots of bad stuff, lots of good stuff.

Lava V2
Apparently goes to keikaku. Though I do wonder if occasional blockage was part of that...

Invisible Temple V
Simplest level in any platformer I can think of.

STAR WORLD 3 MOTHERFUCKER.

V
SSJ METAL SONIC IS A DICK TO RUNNING MAN, BUT RUNNING MAN PERSEVERES AND WINS

========

Final Verdict:
Say what? Say yes, I say! It's an improvement anyway! Accept, it's an improvement, it's Knuckles, it's mike the running man. There is nothing more to say!

Yours Truly,
Yours Truly

Quote:
A/v fine
No cheating

There were a couple hiccups in playing (Marble Garden 1 (iirc) had the worst of the errors.)  Although the run does not look polished during these few problematic moments, it is clear the runner knows this game inside and out.

I was extremely impressed with the glitches used in real time, such as the wrap around glitches and running into the floor.  I thought most of those were only possible AND useful during a TAS.  The runner has proven me wrong.

It is an improvement, and I give it one erected thumb.

Decision: Accept

Reason: This run is better than his marathon run. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Thread title:  
OMG. He forgot to mention severe cheating.
We all scream for Eyes Cream
He did mention severe plot holing though. And I noticed a reference to Satoryu's Dracula X Chronicles run. I wonder.....
Obscure games ftw
The "yours truly" didn't have the disclaimer...
Balls jerky
so was this done in the new taiga forum where all the verifiers can see everyone else's verification? Somebody should reveal who Yours Truly is and we can begin the severe cheating beatings.
His username is "Yours Truly". He made a post once complaining about the spoiler tag.
Edit history:
mike89: 2010-09-07 04:34:44 am
SEGA Junkie
To all the verifiers: I explained this in the comments, but the odds of me getting that Flying Battery 2 laser skip are so low (and the payoff so massive) that it's really not worth my while to attempt the run again. It saves about 35 seconds on its own and the mistakes in the run (not to mention bad luck, hi Sky Sanctuary) probably only add up to about that much.

And if 35 seconds of mistakes in a half-hour run sounds a bit slack, go watch stanski's Sonic 2 run with a fresh pair of eyes. It's an outstanding run for sure, but there's probably 20-30 seconds of mistakes and bad luck (the new Metropolis 2 strategy notwithstanding).

Verifier 3: Don't worry, it's coming. My current project is doing this game co-op (Mike/stanski your 2p run of the year award ain't gonna last long!) and then I'm going to start on Tails.

Verifier 5: Well, that's what I and... pretty much everyone thought when those TASes first came out. But if you put enough thought into it you can pull off most of the tricks, depending on the level of precision required.

Yours Truly: Dude, Star World 3 had two exits.
It's mike the running man.
Balls jerky
Quote from MarioGalaxy2433g5:
His username is "Yours Truly". He made a post once complaining about the spoiler tag.

shit
No wait, he didn't complain about the spoiler tag. However, he made the post as a guest.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Quote from mike89:
Mike/stanski your 2p run of the year award ain't gonna last long!

You wish.