List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Sonic3Knuckles.html

SS Knuckles run with deaths

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Great display of skill, and the runner knows the game inside an out. It's really sad I have to reject it based on Flying Battery 2. First of all, it's quite possible to make it to the ends of the stage without dying to reset the level boundaries using the zip. Second, the runner messes up and has to kill himself. That leaves 2 unnecessary deaths in the run, which is too much.

Quote:
Short version: Accept. Insane amounts of improvement over previous very good runs combine with the nailing of some extremely tough glitches (I hate Marble Garden) make for a highly entertaining and technically brilliant run. Sound and picture seem fine and no cheating detected.

Longer version:

AI1: No problems here, very optimised. Top route looks very smooth with Knux, one of the times where his lower jump is truly useful. I am going to be quite controvertial here and suggest that two seconds be added on to the time for the deliberate time wasting after the signpost. This affects the rest of the level and so should be counted in my opinion. (0:48+0:02)
AI2: Practically perfect in every way. (0:44)

HC1: Top route saves 5 seconds or less but is very well executed. Boss is very unlucky to begin with (it seems random as to when he hits you like that, it must be to do with the placement of his 'missile' things) but then becomes gloriously risky and well executed. That second to last hit was awesome, you only get away with that maybe 1/5. (0:55)
HC2: And the glitches begin. Perfect 'ghost death' from letting go of gliding at a certain height, easy horizontal underflow glitch (although quite tough to make it to the boss room), perfect boss. (1:01+0:02)

MG1+2: I hate this glitch, pulling off the 8 spindashes that quickly without accidentally jumping or getting hit is far more difficult that it looks here. And if you do accidentally jump or get hit? Run over because you are stuck in the wall until time out. Rest of the level was fine, would have been nice to see fewer attempts at getting into tails' path but it's a tough dash-jump. Very unlucky with the slope rejection after the speed shoes, I almost never have that happen on that slope anymore. (1:33)

CN1: Brilliant. Nice superglide off the bat enemy. (0:57)
CN2: Dat glide. (0:40)

IC1+2: This glitch is madness, wonderful glorious madness. The runner comments explain it to an extent but I recommend you try it just to see how difficult and random it can be. Very well executed in this case however. Good boss too. (1:05)

LB1: Easiest horizontal underflow (zip to boss) in the game, much much much harder boss with Knux. (0:54)
LB2: Good route, this one hasn't changed much but it's pretty solid. Boss could have been a few seconds quicker if the spindash hit had been achieved, no biggie though. (2:21)

MH1: Only very minor mistakes/unlucky ramp rejections. (1:14)
MH2: The ramp jump directly onto the spring was beautiful Shocked (1:10)

FB1: Lovely little zip. I'm pretty sure it's inhumanly possible to get to the little parachute bombs an entire cycle earlier so this is likely the fastest this level will get without any major new tricks. Slightly odd that the boss music doesn't kick in for ages, but then again I've never made that direct jump to the cap, can someone test this to make sure? Nice showing off with the slope glitch at the end. (1:58)
FB2: The unnecessary death is unfortunate. However I still think this is acceptable as it's a tough glitch to pull off. Contrary to what one of the other verifiers mentioned, I'm pretty sure the first death is necessary? I've only hit this zip once without dying to try and test it but it did not work in that case so I'm pretty sure resetting the level boundaries with a death is needed. (1:34 + 0:13 + 0:18)

SO1: Missing the zip is unfortunate and loses some time, at least it's a short level (for Knux at least). Half of this time is waiting for the boss... A few overzealous attmpts to get above spike pillars looks pretty ugly in all honesty. This is one of the worse levels. (2:03)
SO2: Smooth execution, very impressive for a level of this length. The spindash ramp jump onto the high bit could have been done quicker if you had just landed the first one on the moving pillar then jumped though. Boss fight is much smoother with this strat. (2:33)

LR1: An ugly level in all honesty. It's a toss up whether this one or SO1 is the worst but it's certainly not pretty. Not a horrendous time though and it is very late in the run. Again I think 2 seconds should be added for post-boss shenanigans. It wastes no time to kill the boss in another place so no box appears and not only that, this box is manipulated specifically as you can zip with it if you get very lucky. And even if you dont then you get a flame shield which is useful for the next level. (1:33 + 0:02)
LR2: A few mistakes but a solid run for this close to the end. (1:34)

HP: As far as I'm aware, :9 is the joint world record. Easiest level in platforming history? (0:09)

SS: First fight was a bit unlucky, if he turns around as he drops you can get many more hits on him. Second fight made it all up, I don't know if it was manipulated somehow or just extremely lucky but this is certainly the quickest this can ever be. (1:05)

Final Time: 26:28. (26:24 if you don't add the time for post signpost stuff)

Just to explain myself a bit further: I think that if you manipulate where the signpost lands to get a box and then use that box, or use time to manipulate times elements later in the game, there should be a base 2 second penalty added to the time of that level. This does not apply when the box that is used is not manipulated, such as in AI1 for Sonic where the quickest way to kill the boss makes a bubble shield appear, or the ring box in MH1, again not manipulated.

Quote:
Okay, I'm going to make this short and simple. The audio and video are good, and NO cheating was found. The run started off very good. However, when you said that you kill time in the end of Angel Island Zone 1, won't that waste a few seconds from the real game time? It's hard to see if that's really necessary. But despite that, there are some really good parts where you actually skip certain parts/levels using zips; the skips were executed very well. And there are some bad parts as well including fidgeting with the miniboss in Hydrocity Zone 1, unneccessary deaths in Flying Battery Zone 2 (as the others stated), etc.

Nevertheless, it was still a pretty great run to watch. To see the game "glitched up" in parts (especially in Hydrocity Zone 2, Marble Garden Zone 1, & Ice Cap Zone 1) and good route planning deserves an Accept from me.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Deaths leave room for improvement, but it's still a solid run with excellent glitch/zip execution and an improvement to boot.

Congratulations to Mike 'mike89' McKenzie!
Thread title:  
Edit history:
mike89: 2012-04-14 12:40:38 pm
SEGA Junkie
Thanks everyone!

Long responses incoming:

Quote from Verifier 1:
It's really sad I have to reject it based on Flying Battery 2. First of all, it's quite possible to make it to the ends of the stage without dying to reset the level boundaries using the zip.

Can you demonstrate this? Bear in mind that this is from an act 1 start - picking act 2 from level select has the same effect as dying: it resets the level boundaries that allows the zip to work.

Quote from Verifier 2:
I am going to be quite controvertial here and suggest that two seconds be added on to the time for the deliberate time wasting after the signpost. This affects the rest of the level and so should be counted in my opinion.

I guess this one's up to Mike or whoever times it, but bear in mind that this means that the bonus countdown time would have to count as well - since that contributes to the cycle of the moving platforms too!

Quote from Verifier 2:
[FB1] Slightly odd that the boss music doesn't kick in for ages, but then again I've never made that direct jump to the cap, can someone test this to make sure?

Yeah, making the jump directly onto the cap is what causes that. Watch when I drop off the capsule after the first hit and you'll see the screen "shift" a bit - it's like the game doesn't realise I'm in the boss room until then. Smiley

Unfortunately, this level is even harder now :x

Quote from Verifier 2:
SO1: Missing the zip is unfortunate and loses some time, at least it's a short level (for Knux at least). Half of this time is waiting for the boss... A few overzealous attmpts to get above spike pillars looks pretty ugly in all honesty. This is one of the worse levels. (2:03)

To make matters worse, I found out that the zip is actually not too bad to land with pause buffering, so if this run ever gets done again I'll have to throw a run out that misses it.

Quote from Verifier 2:
Again I think 2 seconds should be added for post-boss shenanigans. It wastes no time to kill the boss in another place so no box appears and not only that, this box is manipulated specifically as you can zip with it if you get very lucky. And even if you dont then you get a flame shield which is useful for the next level.

I have absolutely no idea what a penalty here would accomplish. The game gives me the opportunity to line up where I kill the boss and where the signpost lands, why shouldn't I be allowed to take advantage of that?

Quote from Verifier 2:
HP: As far as I'm aware, :9 is the joint world record.

Nope. Sad

Not sure whether I plan to improve this. Knuckles is the most technically demanding run, and throwing the SO1 zip in there only makes it even more so. Who knows what'll happen though.
Make it so.
Verifier 2 here, on reflection, I have no idea why I suggested the penalty for LR1, you're right it really doesn't make much sense! And I'm pretty undecided about the other one too so I'll retract that timing idea.

That FB1 level: I thought it was going to be an april fool, then I noticed it was werster. Shocked
Quote from mike89:
Thanks everyone!

Long responses incoming:

Quote from Verifier 1:
It's really sad I have to reject it based on Flying Battery 2. First of all, it's quite possible to make it to the ends of the stage without dying to reset the level boundaries using the zip.

Can you demonstrate this? Bear in mind that this is from an act 1 start - picking act 2 from level select has the same effect as dying: it resets the level boundaries that allows the zip to work.

I recant this later in the verification thread. There IS a zip you can use to get to the end without dying, but it's only possible with sonic and tails, and so shouldn't be counted against you. Your zip works differently. See the current TAS run.