List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Sonic3Knuckles.html

SS Tails run with deaths

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Okay, I have watched the run. The video quality is okay, and the audio... Don't get me started on that. It sounded like the whole game is under some sort of gargling acid. Sorry, mike. I know it's the audio problems, but it's just BAD. Not Michael Jackson BAD. Just BAD.

And now that I've got that issue over with, let's get to the gameplay awesomeness. The routes, as mike89 stated, were pretty much improved. In addition to taking hits to get across multiple obtacles, it looked pretty good (despite some accidental hits throughout). I really don't know what else to say. Watching the run honestly feels like I'm watching a glitch-fest, and you made it look effortless. It's like freaking eye-candy! mike89 not only abuses the game, but destroys it. See that? I thought you knew.

Concerning the audio quality, it was not an easy choice to begin with. However, since Nate deemed the audio quality a narrow pass, I say Accept the bad boy. I would, however, highly recommend mike89 of doing an audio commentary (that which I completely agree with the others). As for the time, it's 40:28 from my knowledge (from Tails' starting point to landing the final blow on Robotnik).

Quote:
Right, let's get down to it.

A/V are acceptable given the ruling, hoping for an audio commentary though. No signs of cheating.

AI1: Smooth, good use of Tails' flying physics, usually when you ascend he slows down but if you ascend into the ceiling this is negated.
AI2: I like the top route, particularly the clever use of damage to get rid of the shield and save a second. Easy boss. Maybe a second could be saved by landing on the ascending platform at the start of the top route and jumping from it?

HC1: And the big F*** You to the developers begins. Easy strat, good use of invincibility.
HC2: Magic wall, standard. Well executed glitch, wonderfully lucky/skilled boss fight.

MG1: Pity the ramp jump was missed, very little time lost however. Ugly damage from the spike guy, lost a second there too.
MG2: Easy strat, nice slope dashes, they're the only tough thing about this level as Tails really. Solid boss.

CN1: Wheel glitch, *invisible* slope dashes, perfect boss, very nice.
CN2: What is with that corner. Well controlled, good boss.

IC: Yadda yadda walking on air, casual. Jumping (getting hit) out could have been better but this is a tough trick as it is. Pity there was no abuse of slope glitch for the boss too, only  a few seconds lost though.

LB1: Ugly mistake, it was obvious in my opinion that the runner was too far to the right and should have corrected himself, you do have a small amount of time for correcting that. Loses maybe 10 seconds. Stupid hard boss as Tails.
LB2: Unsure whether the zip in this level is easy with Tails, apparently it is with Sonic although I need to test that. Possible area for improvement if it can be done, would save a minute. Both bosses fall easily.

MH1: Oh Knux, you so suspicious. Reasonable level, good use of speed shoes then bad use of taking an unwanted mushroom to the face.
MH2: No frame perfect jump, reject. Smooth, no big errors, a few small but negligible ones.

FB1: Badass music. There's a new zip for this level, looks sick hard though and I think it was found after this run was made. Ramp rejection sucks. Apart from that this was a great level.
FB2: More slope glitch shenanigans, nice and easy. Stop showing off with the spikes, you make us look bad.

SO1: More corners, more glitch, more zips, second example of suicidal boss, Robotnik evidently had programming issues.
SO2: Really fun level to run. Poor ghosts can't keep up. Nice screenwraps, nice zip, well executed. Lovely level to watch, very impressive. Tails sucks against the boss unfortunately.

LR1: Got the zip, nice luck involved there. Got the clip 4th try, reasonable. Great boss, very nice level in general.
LR2: This level was easily the Mary Poppins of the run, practically perfect in every way. Seriously, to get the skip 2nd try is out of this world. This is a fantastic IL time for gods sake.

HP: No problems here boss.
SS: I love how the runner seems to have a block for that screenwrap, it's kind of endearing Wink

DE1: Nice infiltration of the space station, Tails has an epic duel with Vader whilst being saved from the garbage compactor by R2D2... Oh wait.
DE2: Taking no chances with that troll of a first enemy. Solid grav abuse, a few minor hits/time losses but nothing big. Boss is demolished by the power of logic. And gravity. And spikes. Basically just physics'd to death. Technically I guess this boss kills himself too, that's 4 suicidal bosses (one is skipped in LR2), what the hell Robotnik?

Steampunk Egg Emperor/Final Zone: Solid, nice inclusion of the Trihex.

Levels completed the way the developers intended: 10.
Levels completed in complete defiance of all walls/gravity/ceilings/bosses/corners, oh god the corners etc: 15.
Mike; 3 : Sonic; 2
A good ratio.

In conclusion, a fantastic run with some great luck in places too, without new zips this will be insanely difficult to beat, all props to the runner and a huge resounding Accept from me.

Quote:
Video Quality is good, and no signs of cheating. The play is great, and I love the glitches. The runner obviously knows the game. Other verifiers have mostly said it - great use of zipping, and good boss fights. Based on play I would accept.

I want to reject based on the audio quality, however I was overruled by nate. I personally think it's a mistake to overlook the poor audio quality and the dropouts, especially given that a thread detailing how to easily cheat on the mega collection explains the method results in a sound dropout. Aside from that, the poor quality was distracting, which is the real concern since I doubt there was any cheating. I guess the decision's been made with regard to that, so I'm just voicing my concerns on record.

Accept.

Decision: Accept

Reason: A/V was given a pass and everyone agrees the gameplay is terrific.

Congratulations to Mike 'mike89' McKenzie!
Thread title:  
Is PJ
Congrats mike!  Wooo!
Everybody's favorite monster
woohoooooo. congrats mike!
Edit history:
mike89: 2012-05-15 11:59:13 am
mike89: 2012-05-15 11:58:49 am
SEGA Junkie
OK, before anything else, I'm really sorry about the audio. I was using a capture card that didn't like the audio ports at all, so I was using a converter to line-in, which obviously crapped out on me not long before this run was completed. Lesson learned: check the audio -every time-! Then you can catch these problems before you get The Run!

Now, verifier responses:

Quote from Verifier 1:
However, since Nate deemed the audio quality a narrow pass, I say Accept the bad boy. I would, however, highly recommend mike89 of doing an audio commentary (that which I completely agree with the others).

Don't worry, audio commentary is in the works now the run's been accepted. Smiley

Quote from Verifier 1:
As for the time, it's 40:28 from my knowledge (from Tails' starting point to landing the final blow on Robotnik).

Sonic games are timed by in-game time, which iirc for this run is 29:28. (Wow, there's that much time in bonus countups and cutscenes...)

Quote from Verifier 2:
HC1: And the big F*** You to the developers begins. Easy strat, good use of invincibility.

This is the one level with a known improvement (besides MH1, which I mentioned in my notes): you can drop down after the first wall and hit the lightning shield next to the wall, which has a red spring behind it. Hold jump all the way up and start flying once you clear the top of the screen, and you can use the top of the screen glitch to fly across the top of the stage at red spring speed, which saves 4-5 seconds.

Quote from Verifier 2:
LB1: Ugly mistake, it was obvious in my opinion that the runner was too far to the right and should have corrected himself, you do have a small amount of time for correcting that. Loses maybe 10 seconds.

Ugh, yeah, this was bad, and I guess really I should have restarted for it, but I decided that once I was past Ice Cap I was going to complete a run no matter what. BTW once you pick your spot you pretty much have no time to adjust, because the screen has to be all the way up when you get hit or you don't pass through the spikes.

Quote from Verifier 2:
There's a new zip for this level, looks sick hard though and I think it was found after this run was made.

I haven't played around with this one myself, but as far as I know Tails can't do it, while Sonic and Knuckles can. So the Leap of Faith is still safe...

Quote from Verifier 3:
I personally think it's a mistake to overlook the poor audio quality and the dropouts, especially given that a thread detailing how to easily cheat on the mega collection explains the method results in a sound dropout.

Well, I know I played all my old runs on SMC, but these runs were performed on an actual Genesis, so that's not an issue anyway. Smiley

To reiterate: this run's going to have audio commentary, you should all just watch it with that.
Make it so.
Quote from mike89:
Quote from Verifier 2:
LB1: Ugly mistake, it was obvious in my opinion that the runner was too far to the right and should have corrected himself, you do have a small amount of time for correcting that. Loses maybe 10 seconds.

Ugh, yeah, this was bad, and I guess really I should have restarted for it, but I decided that once I was past Ice Cap I was going to complete a run no matter what. BTW once you pick your spot you pretty much have no time to adjust, because the screen has to be all the way up when you get hit or you don't pass through the spikes.

I've always found that I have maybe a second or so to get the right spot...

Although it was saved nicely and isn't even bordering on reject worthy or anything.