--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/SnakeRattlenRoll.html

Giel Goertz's warpless PAL run

Verifier Responses

Note: The video skips mentioned in the verifier comments have since been fixed.

Quote:
Alright here we go
First off, the video. There's a minor skip in stage 2 at about 93 left on the in-game clock, and another in stage 5 at the 77 second mark. The video also occasionally starts bobbing. I first noticed it at the score tally for stage 7 and goes a bit into stage 8. It does it again for a short time at the score tally for stage 8, and during stage 10 while the foot is bouncing around to make it shake even more. It’s certainly not the end of the world but it’s something that could possibly be fixed before the video gets posted. Audio is fine.

Honestly, there’s not a ton to say here that the submission text doesn’t already.
Stage 1: Can’t really go any other way for warpless.
Stage 2: I believe there’s a windup power-up here, but it is admittedly slightly out of the way. Probably wouldn’t save more than a second if that, though.
Stage 3: Yep
Stage 4: I know the TAS uses a minor skip by bouncing off the first enemy, but that’s probably not a realistic skip.
Stage 5: Spent a while getting the tongue upgrade, but not a huge loss. Unfortunate that the gold nimbly flew away but I’ve never seen it stay near the ground so not surprising. The carpet at the end confused me at first, since it seems to jump all the way back instantly, but upon closer examination it is most likely just a video skip.
Stage 6: Poor luck on the fish tail. A little cautious with a few of the jumps here but no real lost time for it.
Stage 7: There are a few places here where it seems like he waited for an enemy or fountain that it seemed like he didn’t need to. Still well done and quick, but probably the place where I see the most available improvements that aren’t completely outside the runners control.
Stage 8: A few minor navigation problems but overall well done.
Stage 9: Really horrible luck with the spawns here (Got 5 bomb spawns right off the bat, and tons of blues). Good navigation of the slopes, though.
Stage 10: Mediocre spawns at best. A bit of hesitation on a couple of the jumps here but understandable with how finicky they can be, and a couple minor falls.
Boss: I like the strat for this boss, even if it isn’t necessarily the fastest.
My timing from gain of control to getting the points for entering the UFO is 13:23. This isn’t including the video skips which would add at least a second onto that time since it was already close to being 24.
Verdict: The play is certainly well done and meets my expectations. The video skips, on the other hand, are very unfortunate. Overall, I will still go with an accept, although I very much hope to see another run in the future with better luck and no video issues.

Quote:
A/V is decent but it has some video skips (I counted four, I can get timestamps if that'd be helpful for nate to see if he can fix them) that will screw with the timing at best. The video also starts spazzing out and jumping like it's losing sync, but not unwatchably so, at certain points. Play quality is quite good, some shit luck and some twitchy jumps but I'd say it's easily good enough considering the game's difficulty, and managing to do it warpless and without deaths is quite a feat in itself. Is there room for improvement? For sure, but not so much that I want to boot it out of the treehouse.

I say accept.

Quote:
Gameplay:
Level 2:  Between the 3rd and 4th pibbley, the runner goes slightly out of his way to collect the tongue extension rather than following the shortest path.  I'm not sure why.
Level 4:  Neat shortcut, using the wind-up to jump across the waterfall.
Level 5:  Makes use of the carpet reset glitch.  Awesome.
Level 6:  When waiting for the fish-tail (or orange peel, or whatever that item is), isn't it better to wait in the top middle, rather than the top right or top left?  That would on average put you the shortest distance from the possible drop points (i.e. wait in the middle of the drop points, not on the fringe).
Level 8:  There is a less cautious way of doing the boulders, though the time savings is small.  The waterspout section can be brutal, but the runner did a fine job with it.
Level 9:  Bad luck with pibbley dispenser!  Not much you can do about that.
Level 10:  Good work with the first shortcut and with the climbing section at the end.  Difficult stuff.
Level 11:  Nice foot-licking.  That's a pretty good position for killing the boss.  Seems that the runner already knows about the faster method, but I agree that it's a pretty risky strat for the end of a run.

A/V:
The video is rather bouncy in a few places and there are several skips (~1 sec each).  The skips are annoying and you miss some gameplay, but I suppose there are worse AV flaws in other videos on the site, so I probably shouldn't reject it for that.  Will be a pain to account for it in the timing, though.  We might try looking at the in-game timer (which does not correspond to real seconds, but is at least consistent), count how many frames are in an in-game second, and then look at discrepancies in the in-game timer as it counts down (i.e. whenever there is skip, one or two of the in-game seconds will display for less time than usual, and you can count the difference in frames to see how much time was lost in each skip, then subtract that from the total manual timing).

Authenticity:
Nothing suspicious that I can see.  The state of the game remains consistent across the video skips, so they are not a sign of editing.  (Note:  The carpet changing position in level 5 is not due to a skip; it's a trick that can be accomplished by manipulating screen position.)

Verdict:  Accept

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a deathless run of a very cruel game.
Thread title:  
Thanks all!
I'm glad the video skips (and bobs) could be fix because I personally really hated them...

anyway:

Verifier Responses

Quote:

Stage 2: I believe there’s a windup power-up here, but it is admittedly slightly out of the way. Probably wouldn’t save more than a second if that, though.

From my experience picking up the windup power is actually slower if you go for the consistent way of eating the nibbley pibbleys like I did.
This is mostly because of the jumping that decides how fast you go (you have to wait for landing before jumping again) and there aren't much distances to travel, mostly height.

Quote:
Stage 4: I know the TAS uses a minor skip by bouncing off the first enemy, but that’s probably not a realistic skip.

I only found out very late into trying to speedrun this game that that was possible and my muscle memory was screwing up a lot there. It's actually not that difficult. At least easier then the other skip I do, but it also doesn't save that much time because you have to wait for the toilet seat to come to you.

Quote:
Stage 5: Spent a while getting the tongue upgrade, but not a huge loss.

I normally just jump on that platform but this time I pressed the button a bit too late and trying to swim to the other side usually leads into death, so I swam to the safe side.

Quote:
Level 2:  Between the 3rd and 4th pibbley, the runner goes slightly out of his way to collect the tongue extension rather than following the shortest path.  I'm not sure why.

Mostly to be certain of avoiding the mushroom.

Quote:
Level 6:  When waiting for the fish-tail (or orange peel, or whatever that item is), isn't it better to wait in the top middle, rather than the top right or top left?  That would on average put you the shortest distance from the possible drop points (i.e. wait in the middle of the drop points, not on the fringe).

I do believe in general that would be better, but I was gambling a bit (and lost :9).
Nice. Good job and congratulations ! Looking forward to this. In the meantime I'll be on a noodle diet to save up for the bounty (jk Wink ).
Edit history:
ktwo: 2011-10-09 01:49:53 pm
I got around to watch this run. First I would like to congratulate again to nice a run. I can also confirm that the run meets the criteria for the bounty I have put up (see the bounty thread for details). If no one submits a new run within a month from when it was posted (the 5th), the bounty will go to Zealie.

Edit: the comments mention bloopers. Are those available somewhere ?