--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2008-10-25 04:03:56 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/ShadowMan.html

Wouter M. 'WMJ' Jansen's 15 souls run, European version.

Verifier Responses:

Quote:
re: shadowman,
i've watched the run and in my opinion it should be posted at SDA. the runner uses a number of sequence breaks to speed things up that were not used in the old run. the game is a bit laggy and hard to control but the runner manages fine. there are hardly any mistakes due to the aggressive segmenting. there are no breaks in continuity or anything like that.

the major game-breaking trick is in the last segment. i'm familiar with it because i actually discovered it and put it on youtube where the runner found it (we have had correspondence regarding this trick and run already). you'll see that the runner lures an enemy through a couple of doors, then uses a damage boost to clear a large gap in order to run across the top of a big machine. this trick allows for completion of the game only collecting 15 "dark souls" (think stars like in mario 64) instead of the normally required 90. so in this case the low% run is actually the fastest way, effectively making it the any% as well. but i suggest leaving up the old run as well (though it is very outdated) because it is so different.

i don't know if you need anything else for verification... timing would be manual as there is no in-game timer, and you can clearly see when to start as there is an obvious loading screen and you could end timing when the runner pauses to save at the end of segments. the loss of control at the end of the run is initiated by a cutscene so that is obvious as well. if you need to know anything else let me know.

Quote:
[23:05] verifier: this run is pro
[23:05] verifier: so far
[23:16] verifier: tell whoever did this to do a Turok 3 run! I see it on his memory pak Cheesy
[00:16] verifier: I'm probably the only person on the planet other than the speedrun author who watched him fight the vagina dentata boss which spews purple goo at you...the 23 min long fight...but yes! Very entertaining run, lots of crafty tricks besides the main glitch. All 10 shadow man fans in the world will be amazed. He had some very nice sequence breaks to get really fast souls.

To give this last response some context, the verifier said I should ask the other verifiers about the sequence break, since he has only played the PC version.

Quote:
I noticed I actually didn't mention yet whether to accept or reject the run. I just watched the whole run again and even though the movement/control in this game is a bit troublesome, the run still looks a bit too messy for my taste. So I've decided to reject it.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Two out of three verifiers were very impressed with the optimization, tricks, and sequence breaking involved in this run. The only verifier who wasn't impressed played the PC version (which might be smoother to control with a mouse and keyboard setup), and he was out-voted, so I decided to accept this run.
Thread title: