List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Wesley 'Molotov' Corron's Worst ending run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Nearly flawless run - lots of well-placed jumps and almost no mistakes. The only mistake I spotted was when the runner grabbed a ledge twice trying to get out of the pipes, but considering how overly sensitive the game's climbing mechanics are, that's perfectly forgivable.

Quote:
Verifier: verified sos, easy pass
verifier: only minor mistakes but insane luck
verifier: also nice to see him pick the old man, heh
[00:13] mikwuyma: yeah the only thing I really noticed was getting caught on the pipes two times in a row
verifier: also i'm glad he maxed out his jumping downhill this time, i don't think the youtube vid did that
[00:13] mikwuyma: no it didn't
verifier: the audio cuts out from both channels to left channel only around 4:30
verifier: uh, nothing to say other than that

Quote:
Verification comments for S.O.S. (SNES, NTSC).

Standard SNES quality for the video/audio.

Everything shown in the run can be done in real-time, so no cheating detected.

The ship is big and difficult to get an overview of, which makes the game very unlinear. As far as my knowledge of this game goes, the route chosen is the fastest one though (and I also believe the runner picked the character that can achieve the fastest time). This is despite having to sit around doing nothing for around 25 seconds waiting for the ship to tilt. The gameplay is pretty much optimized. I can spot two easily recognizable execution mistakes. The first one is about 2.53 in the video, where it looked like Jeffrey got an identity crisis and started to hump a wall in the pipe area. At 3.36, Jeffrey stopped for no obvious reason. A slip on the D-pad or because Jeffrey is an old man and needed a break ? These two mistakes should account for about 2.5 seconds lost. One might argue that a run this short and with no enemies should be virtually flawless. However, performing intricate platforming acrobatics with clunky controls à la "Out of This World" has to count for something.

Verdict : Provided noone knows of a better route, I have no problem accepting this run.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Shorter than Titanic, and no Celine Dion song to boot.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
Molotov: 2009-10-11 05:26:55 pm
S.O.S. finally made it through verification hell! Yay! It's actually a good thing verifiers weren't found until at least some point in April, because I was initially going to submit one of those Luke runs. Oh my.

About the "pipe" mistake (2:53): Everybody is right about the control issues, but I think this one is just my fault. It's been a while, but I bet I could've fixed it easily by just doing a forward jump from earlier on. Of course, I did try to use forward jumping, which is what caused the problem. Blame my slow reaction times. Sad

As for Jeffrey magically stopping, I think that was because my thumb simply slipped off the D-pad. >_<

If I still have the commentary track I did for this run, I'll have to give it a listen to see if I got my facts straight. If not, those explanations sound reasonable enough to me.

[Edit]: Fun fact: It seems I deleted my copy of the commentary track, but it's still available on my Geocities account until October 26th. If you're an extreme masochist and want to hear it, send me a message or something. I gave Alucard the link a while back (with the idea of a mixed in duet of sorts), but I don't think he ever did anything with it. Didn't have any luck getting Mike to sing either.
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
Is the commentary going in the run for SDA? Well, the game is so short it would be really easy to make a new one even if you had to.

Mike, are the different characters, different categories? They probably should be. (doesn't look that way at the top)

SOM reunion in this thread, hoho. Don't worry, I will do a good amount of testing and full practice runs before Magfest, I just haven't started yet.
Quote from Enhasa:
Is the commentary going in the run for SDA? Well, the game is so short it would be really easy to make a new one even if you had to.

No, I didn't submit the commentary track. I would've considered it if someone had taken me up on that Gilligan's Island idea, but I guess nobody else was willing to embarrass themselves for the sake of a few haws. At least, I'd haw. Not sure about anybody else.

Maybe a Celine Dion song should be chosen instead, just to make Mike's reason look silly!
It was a joke! Please don't ban me!

Quote:
SOM reunion in this thread, hoho. Don't worry, I will do a good amount of testing and full practice runs before Magfest, I just haven't started yet.

Just make sure to check the topic, so that you don't have to re-invent the wheel on some things. Smiley
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from Enhasa:
Mike, are the different characters, different categories? They probably should be. (doesn't look that way at the top)

How many endings per character? Usually different endings result in different categories, but according to a couple of places there are possibly hundreds of endings. This place says that there are only 4 or 5 main endings for each character, but these will change slighty depending on who exactly you get out of the boat with.

It might be a pain, but if you wanted different categories, you'd probably have to figure out and list which survivors are required for each ending. It might be something to list out on the strategy wiki. 20 some odd categories seems like a lot if they're not different enough. Although Mike might just say worst and best (whatever that means) endings only, up to him.
As far as I can tell, the worst ending is the same route for every character. I don't see any reason to separate by character for the worst ending. But since the other endings vary from character to character, I think it's worth it to make each character a separate category for those endings.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the worst ending.
Quote from mikwuyma:
As far as I can tell, the worst ending is the same route for every character. I don't see any reason to separate by character for the worst ending. But since the other endings vary from character to character, I think it's worth it to make each character a separate category for those endings.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the worst ending.

Actually, Capris is different. Strangely enough, he gets the normal ending by default (leaving by himself). According to the FAQ I read, he needs to only save Amy in order to get the worst ending. And since I played around with some other characters fairly recently, I do remember getting the normal ending with Capris. (Fun fact: Luke somehow survives in that ending, even though you didn't see him.)

I really need to play this game more someday. :/
So I guess the categories are "fastest route" (straight to the exit), and then each ending?
The categories should probably be somewhat like the low%/any%/100% that other runs have. Low% for the quickest route, any% for the quickest route that involves saving people (enough to change the ending), and 100% for the best ending. Obviously you can't save everyone, so I don't mean literally 100%. Definitely split by character, or else any% Luke would probably stomp everyone in that category. Tongue

Possibly a terrible idea, but it seems simple enough to me.
Edit history:
Enhasa: 2009-10-15 03:30:21 pm
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
I agree with Molotov completely, although I don't care if it's called low% or worst ending or whatever. And there's only like 3-4 endings with each character, don't believe whatever crap you read elsewhere. Saying there's hundreds of endings is like saying Fire Emblem has hundreds of endings because OMG such and such guy might either be alive or dead.

Edit: Here is an enlightening FAQ.

PS: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE we need mikwuyma to sing My Heart Will Go On as audio commentary! An absolute genius idea from Molotov.

Anyone remember that SNL skit with the goths? My heart will go on... a plate!
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from Enhasa:
And there's only like 3-4 endings with each character, don't believe whatever crap you read elsewhere.

Wikipedia has failed me. Sad
Complete. Global. Saturation.
I wonder what the reason for the audio cutting out on one channel in the middle of the run is. Maybe a loose SNES cable connection, or is it encoding related?

I kind of want to see a "Best ending" run now. Are you up for it Molotov?
Quote from TheQuietMan:
I wonder what the reason for the audio cutting out on one channel in the middle of the run is. Maybe a loose SNES cable connection, or is it encoding related?

I kind of want to see a "Best ending" run now. Are you up for it Molotov?

The audio probably cut out because my S-Video cable started randomly sucking a while back. It has to be in a very specific spot to get proper picture, so I wouldn't doubt the audio also has issues. Didn't notice it during the recording part, but maybe that's to be expected.

As for best ending, naw dude. I've honestly never even managed that in casual play. Trying to keep all those stupid people alive (the AI is AWFUL) and actually optimize the whole thing? I don't have the skills/patience for that. Sorry. Sad