List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Rygar.html

Kristian Emanuelsen's PAL run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I time the new PAL Rygar run at 28:39.  A minute and change of improvements with a few seconds lost against Sagila and Deathpigor.  Looked like his Ligar fight was in "panic mode".

The question now is which button do I press?  My finger goes to the Accept button, on the grounds of a better run.

Quote:
No cheating, deaths, or major technical problems. The -v copy had about 30 seconds of extra crap on the end of it that should probably be clipped off.

This run is a lot smoother than the last one, and didn't have any mistakes in it that made me say 'wtf'. I was thinking 30 seconds would be a reasonable expectation for an improvement, so I'm pleased that it was double that. It's not flawless but it's got a consistently high level of execution that doesn't look out of place when put side by side with the NTSC version, unlike the last submission. I do have to ask, though, what's with that pause before climbing the rope at 1:30?

Also, yes, I went and tested my 'bounce on head' idea, but I guess that only works when you're powered up beyond the point where the time required is worth it. In other words, doesn't work at all in PAL, even with recover and a life potion. Of course, I only wondered if it would work, I didn't say "do this or I'll reject it". Wink

Accepted.

Quote:
-Audio/visual notes: Everything looks and sounds good except for one thing which I note in the comments themselves (A weird noise that sometimes accompanies Attack & Assail, if you can't be bothered to read down that far). A quick note that it takes about 20 seconds on this copy before we see the title screen, and there's a few seconds after where he goes back to the title screen and..I don't know, pushes start and swings his weapon for no reason. I'm sure they'll be eliminated in the final copy, though.

Comments on the run itself:

-In the early going, he seems to fight a bit more frequently than in any other run. As he mentioned, it's probably to build up Mind Points as quickly as possible.

-In Garloz the first time, it's possible, given frame-perfect timing, to simply jump the river in the PAL version. I don't know what the success rate is for actually finishing a run on the PAL version (Probably not very high), but it's early enough in the run that, before getting the pulley, he may want to consider going for it on just that first jump. As noted, it takes frame precision and so isn't a deal-breaker on the run by any means, but it could yield a nice time savings for anyone sufficiently motivated to try and improve the run (Strictly speaking, jumping the river is probably faster than even pulleying across, but the risk-reward ratio isn't really worth it once you have the pulley).

-Nice recovery after bouncing on Eruga's head in that fight. I'm a bit confused as to why he can't consistently get three hits in per shot. The comments say that 3-2-3-2-etc. is the quickest that can be done, but he never explains why. Are the shots not a consistent speed? Does the boss invincibility time differ between hits? Or is it something different? On the plus side, I like his precision (IE not just mashing the button like I do) on that fight.

-Admirable performance on the way to Sagila's Cave. I don't know if it's the toughest part of the game (Especially on PAL), but it's the hardest for me to do cleanly, and he does very well given the position of that 3 Mind Power.

-After practicing this game on the NTSC version several times, I get the feeling that my hitting the Sagila fight perfectly in my 30:30 was the exception rather than the norm. Still, it's an area of improvement, albeit one I'm no longer judging as harshly as I had been in the past.

-Looks like he wanted to recover on the way to Dorago's, but didn't have enough Mind Points, so he decided to Power Up instead (I don't think you need to move the cursor at all to Power Up). No big deal, since he needs to Power Up at some point anyway, just pointing it out.

-His leveling in Dorago's Palace is probably the best I've seen in any of his runs. I must admit that I was confused about why he didn't just go ahead and level to the max while he was there, but the mandatory Tower of Garba fights took care of that.

-Instant reject for screwing up the name of the boss of the Tower of Garba. I'm kidding, I'm kidding, calm down (But his name is Deathpigor, if you're curious). Nice fight overall, though, despite the damage taken.

-Just dropping down from the top level instead of jumping the pit and then climbing down the next available rope would probably have been a bit (Like a second or two) faster. Minor slipup, though.

-I like the two enemies who simply walk through the cliff to their deaths on the way to Lapis. This has nothing whatsoever to do with the runner's performance, but I found it amusing enough to note anyway. Ah, Rygar, you glitchfest you.

-That last grapple in Lapis was particularly nice. I would probably have just gone back up and tried again at that point.

-The Ligar fight was, again, a bit cautious, but I can't say I blame him. And yeah, the strategy for getting what amounts to an extra Attack and Assail on Ligar is indeed ingenious. What's up with the weird noise that sometimes accompanies an A&A attack though? You can hear it when he's trying to pulley up to Ligar's "house" and a couple more times during the fight itself. I've never heard it before..maybe version differences or something.

Anyway, I was on the fence about the previous run. I have no such reservations about this one. If nothing else consider this: I have yet to match this time in practice for the upcoming MAGFest event..and I'm on NTSC.

Accept.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a significant improvement over the rejected run.
Thread title:  
I've been waiting a long time to see a run of the pal-version. Is it even that this is an improvement of the improvement ? If I recall correctly, the first improvement was 29.10 or something, but this seems to be around 30 seconds faster. Anyways, looking very much forward to finally see this run getting posted.

I would also like to make people aware of that this run has a good chance to qualify for a 100$ bounty. The condition is that the run must stand unchallenged for one month once it has been published. This means that from the moment the run is available for everyone to see, anyone has one month to produce a run and ask for it to be verified. (Note that the verification time does not count into the one month.)
While I think Arctic has a pretty good chance to claim this bounty, I won't congratulate him just yet in case a challenger comes forth...  Smiley
Thanks guys! Yes, the Ligar battle was in "panic mode". The Ligar-fight looks kind of bad now, and some smart guy has recently posted a Youtube video (response) with all of ktwo's Ligar-tricks while playing the game on emulator, tricks that ktwo wrote about on these forums long time ago.

I wasn't at all certain that this run would be accepted, but rate it a barely accept myself. I honestly wasn't aware of how bad the rejected PAL-run was when I ranted about on here...

Emptyeye: So it's the Tower of Deathpigor?  Wink And you're absolutely right about my "forgotten mistake" after the Deathpigor fight, I should have just dropped down the top level, and not jumped the pit then climbed down the rope. I do it the right way in my NTSC-run.

Eruga explanation: It seems that you can't hit Eruga consistently 3 times pr. shot with the PAL-version, because of the time it takes to place three hits (and the time you spend floating in the air). When you have placed three hits, you immediately jump (and float) over Eruga's triple-shot, but you should have jumped just a tad earlier to be able to place three new swings to avoid the next triple-shot. Instead you place two hits, and then immediately press jump to float over the shots and down to ground, to be able to place three hits the next time. If you look at the end of my Eruga-fight in the accepted PAL-run, you should see that I jump immediately after placing three hits and also after two hits, but after three hits there's not enough time for three more after landing to ground, before Eruga's next shot. I'm not saying it's impossible to manage three, three, then two hits, three, three, two, three, three, two hits and so on, but that's as far as I'm willing to stretch my imagination of what's possible with Eruga-hits on the PAL-version.
Master-88
Big congrats. You finally got it accept. Smiley

I´ll enjoy your Ligar fight like last time. This one is cool and i´ll feel your pain here. Wink
Even im not are played that game much i still will watch this run.
bläää
Nice to see this PAL run posted finally Smiley
Talk to the Hand
Yeah, congrats on getting this one accepted. Honestly, I sort of felt bad that the last one got rejected, but it obviously worked out in the end. I'm glad you eventually decided to give it another go on the PAL version; the end result was definitely worth it from my perspective.
Thanks for the support!

Sorry if I made you feel bad about rejecting the previous PAL-run Emptyeye, it was a "ridiculous" reaction from me. There was lots of room for improvement in the rejected PAL-run. The new Rygar run is a minute faster, and there's still lots of room for improvement. Some of the runs at SDA are almost flawless, and a few actually seems to be flawless. High standards for SDA is surely a good thing, as long as lots of high standard runs keep coming in. The end result was worth it from my perspective too.

And, I've made sure to write 'The Valley of Death' instead of 'Death Road' in my new Zelda II comments  Wink
Awesome that the run is finally posted. I obviously had to watch it first thing.  Smiley
I agree that there is still room for improvement, but several of the small imperfections are also due to random enemy behaviour. Many of the situations have to be solved in real-time and not only by memorization, which adds to the entertainment value for me.

I did not know that you got an enemy drop for every 10th enemy. Definitely nice to know !

A few remarks :
- Enemy drops can be picked up by simply walking over them. One "Attack & Assail" was therefore wasted.
- Don't forget about A&A giving you invincibility. A couple of seconds could have been shaved off against Ligar (you can easily run through his shots if firing off A&A at a steady pace). I think I mentioned this before, but I don't remember if it was before or after the run was done.
- Cool to see that the "double A&A"-strategy managed to get incorporated (and thanks for giving me credits for it). Because of Ligar, I remember this game being considered "unbeatable" among the kids in the town where I grew up. I actually came up with the idea already then, but still never managed to beat Ligar (I must have been pretty close though).
Huzzah, it's up!

Your remarks make perfect sense ktwo, I wasted three attack & assail at the end then, not two.

Unfortunately you mentioned the invincibility-thing with Ligar after the run was completed  Wink But I should have known.

The reason I didn't attempt to improve the run was because of a rather good level-up sequence in Dorago, good Lapis, but most of all that I got the three-star drop quickly in the Sky Castle. It's random, and can be a pain.