Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2009-06-01 08:02:53 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Rygar.html

Kristian Emanuelsen's NTSC and PAL runs

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I timed NTSC Rygar at 25 minutes even (691 to 90577), PAL Rygar at 29:40 (573 to 89593).

NTSC run is smoother than last time and I don't know if Emptyeye is still reeling from the previous one.

PAL run had a mistake during the grind phase in Dorago's and he pulled the same mistake that Emptyeye did in his inaugural run in Lapis.  I'm not going to gripe about the Ligar battle given that the PAL version is harder (lower stat caps)

Verdict: Accept and Accept because one is an improvement and the other is a new category (Euro version).

Quote:
No cheating, deaths, or technical problems in either run, except for the fact that the NTSC version had an extra 4 minutes of what looks like the start of another attempt in the -v copy, which I already mentioned to you in my IRC message.

NTSC VERSION

It's really hard to judge some of the differences because a fair amount of how much time is needed spent building up is reliant on semi-random enemy spawns. Overall the run feels a bit tighter, and finishing the leveling up segment faster helps a fair amount.

- spike of lag at 28 sec (from swinging weapon?)
- extra jump before reaching the overworld to avoid random enemy, probably should have reset since it was so early
+ manages to gain lead in green tower area due to slightly different enemy spawns and different kill pattern
+ forest area is done faster overall (about 10 seconds ahead total by the time the boss dies)
+ path to the cavern faster by about three seconds
+ more daring around the fireballs, cavern is overall faster
+ spider boss is done better, boss is dead in the new one before the old one even reaches the room
= oh god here comes the boring part, build up seems a bit more practiced but this is one of those things you'd need a degree in calculus to figure out the best time to stop (not to mention a robotic player), so I'm just going to assume that trial and error is the way to go here--he kills the next boss about a minute earlier than the old run
- reaching and killing the tower boss is a few seconds slower here, a couple noticeable mistakes but not sure that would account for the whole difference, so it's probably little minor things on the way there, and it's a three-minute trip so who knows...
= watching them side by side, they both pick up a health potion at the same time, this amused me more than it should have
- whoops, enemy knocked him into a doorway, costing a few seconds
+ still manages to gain a couple seconds back on the way to the fifth boss
= roughly equal on the way to the sky castle, not counting the wasted menu time the old run had, which I chalk up to nerves
+ gains a couple more seconds back in the sky castle, leading a final gain of 1:02, for a total time of 24:59, by my count

PAL VERSION

In a complete break from tradition, it seems that the PAL version actually runs FASTER than the NTSC version. I tried slowing the NTSC down 5/6 and it fell behind immediately. Then I ran them at the same speed, and NTSC STILL fell behind by about a second before he was even out of the first area. So I'm going to throw away a direct time comparison and just try to judge it on its own merits. It feels like the jumps might be a bit floatier but I can't say for sure unless I tested it myself. Also, the sound is surprisingly not terrible, just stepped down a few halftones.

The buildup strategy is quite different for reasons I believe were mentioned in both the comments and Mike's message to verifiers, so maybe that's why he kills some enemies he wouldn't normally. The beginning is pretty good, only real delays are from killing enemies that were in his way and/or for buildup purposes. Just before he reaches the spider cavern he backtracks for a couple of seconds to avoid an enemy, which made me raise an eyebrow and probably wasn't necessary. Then he wastes a few more seconds going for a health powerup from the purple unicorn wyvern things and feels a bit too cautious around the fireballs. Spider boss goes fine, though I'm wondering if that missed shot at the start could have started the cycle. On the way to the gray area of doom he pauses the menu for absolutely no reason (checking on his tone?). The sound here is just as annoying as the NTSC version... whoa...

What the FUCK do you call that mess at the start of the buildup sequence? It's one thing to get struck by one of the enemies and lose your rhythm, but why do you chase that last one into the walls like that? Total waste of time. If you were to make a case for rejection that would be it right there.

He stops earlier here than in the NTSC version for reasons already stated. Every kill from here on out is unfortunately noticably slower, which makes the comparison more difficult. What a strange thing to change for a different version. The tower boss feels more cautious than necessary, and he once again dodges an enemy he probably could have killed instead, and then gets hit by the next one anyway, despite being a good blockwidth away. Weird hitbox.

Was it really necessary to take a sidetrip and 'rest'? I know you were on low health, but on the other hand if you'd made fewer mistakes the time you spend on the sidetrack could have been avoided.

...wrong way.

He grabs a life potion for the final boss, which is somewhat understandable considering how much more difficult he is on the PAL version. The final boss fight looks way more cautious than the NTSC version, and I'm wondering if it might be better to be a bit more reckless and save the stars for another life recovery instead of using them on assail. I seem to recall the first time I beat this guy I just bounced on his head while attacking as fast as I could, using my two recovery options and turning it into a battle of attrition. Maybe that's not viable given the low tone cap, but I'm wondering if he tried it or not.

Timed the run at 29:52.

Verdict: As far as the NTSC version goes, it's a minute faster using the same overall strategy. Easy accept. For the PAL version, I really feel like the run is just too cautious and that mistake at the start of the buildup sequence just completely pulled me out of the viewing groove. Standing by itself I don't want to reject it because MOST of the run is pretty well done, but watching it right after the NTSC version it just feels so subpar so I'm going to say it needs a redo.

Third verifier PAL run:

Quote:
Verifier: I am indeed online. The brief version: The PAL run is a weak accept....I'll have to, um, legally emulate (<_<-) that version to see if my objections to it still hold water. Haven't gotten around to watching the NTSC one yet, because I just now successfuly downloaded it.
me: also about the pal version
me: I think the other two verifiers rejected
me: I don't know how much research they did into the pal version though
Verifier: Yeah, I think in a sentence, my thoughts are closest to the strict verifier's thought on my Chuck Rock run: "Accept, but I won't argue if others vote reject."
Verifier: Also; Rygar jumps higher in the PAL version. Not sure why, but you can also see this phenomenon in Shadow Warriors, where Ryu's jumping is closer to NTSC Ninja Gaiden III. The main thing it does is let you jump rivers you'd normally pulley over, but it takes frame-perfect precision.

Same verifier, NTSC:

Quote:
[17:21] mikwuyma: hello
[17:21] mikwuyma: I am going to bug you about rygar again
[17:21] CATS the Impaler: Finally getting around to watching the NTSC version as we speak. If I ever bust on you for failing to promptly get to the MAGFest Awards Ceremony on time again, just say the words "Rygar verification" and I'll shut up. ;-)
[17:22] mikwuyma: LOL
[17:24] mikwuyma: I could also mention zelda II from ages ago Tongue
[17:24] mikwuyma: why do I let you verify again?
[17:24] CATS the Impaler: Oh, you mean the one I verified AFTER it was already on the site?
[17:24] mikwuyma: yes
[17:24] mikwuyma: because you took that long
[17:25] CATS the Impaler: ALSO: I think it's because you know I've played the games before. Also also, because, rarely, I do actually verify them in a prompt manner (In my defense, I didn't log into my forum account for like a month this time around, which is most, though not all, of why it's taken so long).
[17:29] CATS the Impaler: Okay, I somehow had my speeds mixed up--the Eruga fight on the PAL version wasn't as bad as I thought (Though it still wasn't great).
[17:34] CATS the Impaler: ...once day, he will master the art of "Don't get hit while bouncing Sagila back and forth." Though I don't think this was any worse than the previous fight, honestly.
[17:41] mikwuyma: well your decision to reject the pal run still stands right?
[17:42] CATS the Impaler: Technically, I think my verdict was "Weak accept, but I won't argue with a rejection if others voted that way." But yes, the decision stands. I mean, one hand, it was actually faster than my old NTSC run, but on the other, while impressive, there were so many little things I didn't like that I could go either way on it.
[17:46] CATS the Impaler: (More specifically on the PAL run, amongst other things, he had the exact same brain fart I did in the beginning of Lapis proper with going down instead of up, and I felt like he could've been more aggressive on Ligar pre-potion use.)
[17:53] CATS the Impaler: So, I'm guessing the last 8 minutes or so of the NTSC video won't be in the final copy (Should it be accepted)? If you're curious, it looks like the start of another attempt where he dies just before the forest.
[17:53] mikwuyma: yeah it won't be included
[17:53] mikwuyma: the runner just didn't give nate proper time cuts
[17:54] CATS the Impaler: Ah, that makes sense. My verdict on the NTSC run boils down to "Accept as improvement"..let me grab the comments quick and see if he addresses any of the concerns I had at all.
[17:54] mikwuyma: his comments were pretty short IIRC
[17:55] CATS the Impaler: Yep, okay. Concerns: I'm still wondering if he levels for longer than he really should, especially since it seemed like he finally hit the groove with consistently getting four and five enemies to spawn, then got out of it after awhile.
[17:57] CATS the Impaler: He also kills a bunch of enemies in Lapis that I feel he didn't need to..maybe he was hoping for a small potion...it sure wasn't for Mind Points, since he passes up three after an enemy dies. And finally, I'm wondering why he was dancing around on the Ligar fight...yeah, he was low on health, but was he that unconfident in his ability to get ONE hit in after attack and assail ran out?
[17:57] CATS the Impaler: But again, minor things in what's an improvement overall.
[17:57] mikwuyma: are you going to try and improve the run?
[17:58] CATS the Impaler: ALSO: HELLO VERIFICATION BOARD MY NAME IS EMPTYEYE AND I EPIC FAIL IN QUICKLY VERIFYING RUNS.
[17:58] CATS the Impaler: And at some point, maybe. I'm working on some non=speedrun-related stuff at the moment (duh), though.
[17:58] mikwuyma: might as well post your aim name while I'm at it Tongue

Decision: Accept and Reject

Reason: The NTSC run is an improvement to a run that is already good, but the PAL run has some bad leveling and doesn't look good compared side to side with the NTSC run.

The PAL run is available upon request until July 1st, PM me.
Thread title:  
You got a deletion wish?
Quote:
CATS the Impaler

Oh good one EE.  Whats the story behind that one besides being a Zero Wing reference?
I'm sad to hear that the pal-run was rejected. I understand that it must be a very unforgivable run to do, but that's sort of why I was looking forward to it so much. Arctic, I hope you will make another try at it. Still, congratulations for the ntsc-improvement.
Talk to the Hand
Quote from MatrixTN:
Oh good one EE.  Whats the story behind that one besides being a Zero Wing reference?

At the time (Early 2002ish? It was my freshman year of college, I know that), I was also heavily into BattleBots, specifically the Vlad the Impaler bot.

Also, I don't remember saying "epic fail", though I suppose it's possible (I did say fail, however).

On the topic of the run, verifier #2 is correct--Rygar jumps higher (And thus farther) in the PAL version. With frame-perfect precision, you can actually use this to jump over rivers you're supposed to pulley across in Garloz; that said, the timing required pretty much makes it a TAS-only trick. I don't think there are any other places where this is useful, however.
Edit history:
Arctic_Eagle: 2009-06-06 05:34:50 am
Quote from ktwo:
I'm sad to hear that the pal-run was rejected. I understand that it must be a very unforgivable run to do, but that's sort of why I was looking forward to it so much. Arctic, I hope you will make another try at it. Still, congratulations for the ntsc-improvement.

Thanks, I'll make a youtube video of it soon, and link to it.

Some of the verifiers didn't notice that the PAL-version is considerably slower (5/6) when changing/scrolling from one screen to the other, and that e.g. Erugia?/the first boss, and other bosses? moves at 5/6 speed to NTSC, and that it's possible to register more hits per weapon use. Rygar's weapon moves at 5/6 speed i think.

Here it is, the Rygar PAL world record of 29:45 as verified and timed by Twin Galaxies  Cheesy

Part1:
Part2:
Part3:
Part4:
Edit history:
Arctic_Eagle: 2009-06-06 07:24:37 am
Verifier Responses

Quote:
PAL VERSION

In a complete break from tradition, it seems that the PAL version actually runs FASTER than the NTSC version. I tried slowing the NTSC down 5/6 and it fell behind immediately. Then I ran them at the same speed, and NTSC STILL fell behind by about a second before he was even out of the first area. So I'm going to throw away a direct time comparison and just try to judge it on its own merits. It feels like the jumps might be a bit floatier but I can't say for sure unless I tested it myself. Also, the sound is surprisingly not terrible, just stepped down a few halftones.

The buildup strategy is quite different for reasons I believe were mentioned in both the comments and Mike's message to verifiers, so maybe that's why he kills some enemies he wouldn't normally. The beginning is pretty good, only real delays are from killing enemies that were in his way and/or for buildup purposes. Just before he reaches the spider cavern he backtracks for a couple of seconds to avoid an enemy, which made me raise an eyebrow and probably wasn't necessary. Then he wastes a few more seconds going for a health powerup from the purple unicorn wyvern things and feels a bit too cautious around the fireballs. Spider boss goes fine, though I'm wondering if that missed shot at the start could have started the cycle. On the way to the gray area of doom he pauses the menu for absolutely no reason (checking on his tone?). The sound here is just as annoying as the NTSC version... whoa...

What the FUCK do you call that mess at the start of the buildup sequence? It's one thing to get struck by one of the enemies and lose your rhythm, but why do you chase that last one into the walls like that? Total waste of time. If you were to make a case for rejection that would be it right there.

He stops earlier here than in the NTSC version for reasons already stated. Every kill from here on out is unfortunately noticably slower, which makes the comparison more difficult. What a strange thing to change for a different version. The tower boss feels more cautious than necessary, and he once again dodges an enemy he probably could have killed instead, and then gets hit by the next one anyway, despite being a good blockwidth away. Weird hitbox.

Was it really necessary to take a sidetrip and 'rest'? I know you were on low health, but on the other hand if you'd made fewer mistakes the time you spend on the sidetrack could have been avoided.

...wrong way.

He grabs a life potion for the final boss, which is somewhat understandable considering how much more difficult he is on the PAL version. The final boss fight looks way more cautious than the NTSC version, and I'm wondering if it might be better to be a bit more reckless and save the stars for another life recovery instead of using them on assail. I seem to recall the first time I beat this guy I just bounced on his head while attacking as fast as I could, using my two recovery options and turning it into a battle of attrition. Maybe that's not viable given the low tone cap, but I'm wondering if he tried it or not.

Timed the run at 29:52.

Verdict: As far as the NTSC version goes, it's a minute faster using the same overall strategy. Easy accept. For the PAL version, I really feel like the run is just too cautious and that mistake at the start of the buildup sequence just completely pulled me out of the viewing groove. Standing by itself I don't want to reject it because MOST of the run is pretty well done, but watching it right after the NTSC version it just feels so subpar so I'm going to say it needs a redo.

[/quote]

Those comments are retarded. Just before the spider-cavern, well, that's the most lethal place, the place I die the most, when speedrunning the NTSC-version, and it went very well in the PAL-run.

I usually check the menu-screen before Dorago's Palace, because that's where I prefer to power-up the weapon (or just before the spider-boss, NEVER before the spider-boss). For once, I hadn't collected enough mind-points yet, as I got a lot of health-recovery things. 1 second lost... omg.

The mess at the build-up sequence in Dorago's Palace: I chased the monster because I saw red, and lost a total of less than 10 seconds. I'm not an emotionless machine, but it seems like you'd like the speedrunner to be, go watch a TAS-run, I don't care about frame-perfection. I'm sorry you got out of the viewing groove, but the levelling-up sequence is the most exciting part for me when speedrunning the game. It wasn't done too well in the euro run.

The tower-boss is the most difficult boss except for Ligar, one hit would have killed me, and I was damn lucky not to die there, even with my cautious strategy.

Yes, it was necessary to take a side-trip and rest, and it always is on the PAL-version, unless you're Superman.

Okay, wrong way in Lapis, lost a total of... omg 3-4 seconds there. I bet it's impossible for me to compensate the total time of less than 15 seconds lost from the build-up sequence in Dorago's Palace, the wrong-turn in Lapis and accessing the menu-screen once, on other gamers with an IQ of around 100 playing Rygar, who thinks that frame-perfected execution is da thing.

How you managed to time the run at 29:52 is beyond me. Did you manipulate the frame-count or something?

And I would love to see you bounce on Ligar's head in the PAL-version, and defeat him, that would be the day. It takes 33 hits I think, i got hit three times by Ligar in the euro run.

There's just no way I'm doing another speedrun of the PAL-version, good luck  Kiss
Quote from Arctic_Eagle:
Verifier Responses

Those comments are retarded. Just before the spider-cavern, well, that's the most lethal place, the place I die the most, when speedrunning the NTSC-version, and it went very well in the PAL-run.

Those are my comments you're calling into question, so let me just explain my reasoning for you somewhat, since you seem to have decided not to do another run.

Watching them side by side the spider cavern went a lot worse in your PAL run. In and of itself is not what made me reject it, but it affected my decision. That early in the run I expect it to be pretty smooth.

Quote:

I usually check the menu-screen before Dorago's Palace, because that's where I prefer to power-up the weapon (or just before the spider-boss, NEVER before the spider-boss). For once, I hadn't collected enough mind-points yet, as I got a lot of health-recovery things. 1 second lost... omg.

You seem to be under the impression that every time I mention something "bad" I'm saying it influenced my rejection. This is one of those times it really didn't, I figured you were trying to power up or checking something, but I felt it was worth mentioning.

Quote:
The mess at the build-up sequence in Dorago's Palace: I chased the monster because I saw red, and lost a total of less than 10 seconds. I'm not an emotionless machine, but it seems like you'd like the speedrunner to be, go watch a TAS-run, I don't care about frame-perfection. I'm sorry you got out of the viewing groove, but the levelling-up sequence is the most exciting part for me when speedrunning the game. It wasn't done too well in the euro run.

It's a giant mistake and it's not that far into the run, and it costs you a ton of life energy that you then have to preserve more carefully later in the run. You should have reset and started over.

Quote:

The tower-boss is the most difficult boss except for Ligar, one hit would have killed me, and I was damn lucky not to die there, even with my cautious strategy.

It was more of a 'ok he's being more cautious, just something to be aware of' than 'he's being more cautious for NO REASON ARGLE REJECT'.

Quote:

Yes, it was necessary to take a side-trip and rest, and it always is on the PAL-version, unless you're Superman.

I'm basing this on the fact that you took four hits because of your leveling screwup, and didn't take that much damage on the way to the castle life potion (which I fully understand and didn't dock you any for) after you rested. It could have saved another 10-15 seconds. I'm not convinced.

Quote:

Okay, wrong way in Lapis, lost a total of... omg 3-4 seconds there. I bet it's impossible for me to compensate the total time of less than 15 seconds lost from the build-up sequence in Dorago's Palace, the wrong-turn in Lapis and accessing the menu-screen once, on other gamers with an IQ of around 100 playing Rygar, who thinks that frame-perfected execution is da thing.

Just another minor mistake to affect my decision. By itself would I have rejected it? Of course not.

Quote:
How you managed to time the run at 29:52 is beyond me. Did you manipulate the frame-count or something?

Final time did not affect my decision at all, was just something I noted. I just checked again and it's actually 29:41 by my estimate. I must have fudged my math somewhere. Not that it really matters.

Quote:

And I would love to see you bounce on Ligar's head in the PAL-version, and defeat him, that would be the day. It takes 33 hits I think, i got hit three times by Ligar in the euro run.

Hence why it was a tentative suggestion. I wasn't sure if it worked in the PAL version, so I mentioned it. I didn't reject based on your final boss fight, because I didn't know if my suggestions were realistic. I rejected based on the fact that watching your NTSC run it was a LOT more polished and I felt you should apply that same level of polish to your PAL run. If the PAL run was the only run you had submitted, I would likely have accepted it with concerns about the leveling screw up and the rest trip, just like I accepted your last NTSC run with concerns about how long you spent leveling. But after watching your well executed NTSC run, the PAL version just felt rushed, harder difficulty or not. I can accept being more cautious around bosses, but even regular enemies seemed to give you more trouble than necessary.

Quote:

There's just no way I'm doing another speedrun of the PAL-version, good luck  Kiss

That's too bad, because I'd like to see you polish it up some more and get a submission in.
Master-88
I was little sad when i hear your PAL run has reject. Im not are played that game much (only trying it sometimes). But difficult games "speedruns" interested me so much.

This sounds PAL run is very hard to make. Is it last boss really hard what guys tell here? I guess it is because peoples talking about much with this. I read your comments there was still other hard boss before last fight. And game looks it is quite long NES game.

I don,t know why verifers not take consideration if game EU versio is alot harder and it requires more caution with certain places. THis not sounds much slower maybe 4-minutes (what your US run is using 5/6 rules) I guess difference is not much your US run.

But anyway. I still want load this run. I want feel your pain against last fight. Smiley
Edit history:
Arctic_Eagle: 2009-06-06 01:12:10 pm
Thanks Master-88! I lose the most time in the PAL-version compared to NTSC when screens are scrolling from one screen to the other e.g. in Garloz, Dorago's Palace, Tower of Garba and Cloud Castle, and in most of the boss-fights. I believe the scrolling from one screen to another is at 5/6, though all ordinary sidescrolling is at app. equal speed to the NTSC-version.

Verifying is probably stricter at SDA now than when Emptyeye got his 30:30 Rygar run accepted in 2005. But I leave Dorago's Palace at 15:43 min. in my PAL-run, while Emptyeye leaves Dorago's Palace at 16:00 in his old NTSC run, and with lower Tone and Last than me, as he leaves his main levelling up for later in The Tower of Garba. Mysterious Third Verifier thinks I should have reset long before that though... He even thinks I should have reset my NTSC-speedrun at 1:20 even though I reach Garloz at 1:22/1:23 and Emptyeye reaches Garloz at 1:55 in his old accepted NTSC-run. I'm actually over 30 seconds ahead of Emptyeye's old run here on my first 1:23 minutes, but I forgot to reset, sorry.

Mysterious Third Verifier: I knew about the possible jumps in the PAL-version, if you use edge-perfect jumps you can jump straight over the water, but those jumps are extremely difficult, I did consider them for a speedrun, but gave them up. As for my NTSC-run, the levelling-up and killing of enemies in Lapis is mainly to reach the next Tone-level that requires less hits on Ligar. I'm not sure exactly what Tone-number that level is required, but I've had some NTSC-speedrun attempts where I had to place lots more hits on him.

I've never considered jumping on Ligar's head while hitting him a good strategy on the NTSC-version either. I would love to see it done on the NTSC-version too.
Talk to the Hand
Quote from Arctic_Eagle:
Verifying is probably stricter at SDA now than when Emptyeye got his 30:30 Rygar run accepted in 2005. But I leave Dorago's Palace at 15:43 min. in my PAL-run, while Emptyeye leaves Dorago's Palace at 16:00 in his old NTSC run, and with lower Tone and Last than me, as he leaves his main levelling up for later in The Tower of Garba. Mysterious Third Verifier thinks I should have reset long before that though... He even thinks I should have reset my NTSC-speedrun at 1:20 even though I reach Garloz at 1:22/1:23 and Emptyeye reaches Garloz at 1:55 in his old accepted NTSC-run. I'm actually over 30 seconds ahead of Emptyeye's old run here on my first 1:23 minutes, but I forgot to reset, sorry.

In short, this was one of the reasons I went "accept, but barely." on the PAL run. As you saw, my thoughts were along the lines of "Well, it's faster than my old 30:30 NTSC, and I'd like to think that said run wasn't super terrible..." but again, there were a bunch of little things about the PAL run that I just didn't like. That said, I have no doubt that even outside of my own opinion, SDA does have higher standards now than then (I thought my Chuck Rock run was my best yet, and one person still almost rejected it).

As for the old NTSC run, I'd like to use the Kareshi defense here (For those of you who forgot, his old terrible [By his own admission] Castlevania II run was actually an improvement over a run already on SDA at the time), in that the 30:30 was over four minutes faster than the only other console time I had for a reference.

Incidentally, thanks for explaining what the deal was with the killing enemies in Lapis; I wasn't sure. Also, "Mysterious Third Verifier" is apparently actually the second one on the list. Since I'm the third one and all, and that's not very mysterious. Cheesy

I mean, um, erm, that was frezy_man. Yes, that's it. Ignore that he says it's me, and that he's never done a Chuck Rock or Rygar run, it was him. >_> <_< Wink
It's okay Emptyeye, I was a little disappointed, since it was faster than your old run and all. But as you're probably one of the older runners hanging around Speeddemosarchive these days, and since you're into music and play bass and all, I have no problem forgiving your reject of the PAL-run  Wink

Btw I'm quite sure that MatrixTN is the first verifier.

I'm not sure I'll ever submit a new run to SDA in a category where there is no previous run though.
You got a deletion wish?
You got me.  I wasn't gonna ask how but humor me.
Edit history:
Arctic_Eagle: 2009-06-07 04:26:57 pm
A complete shot in the dark. It had absolutely nothing to do with the "I don't know if Emptyeye is still reeling from the previous one" part  Lips Sealed
You got a deletion wish?
Quote from Arctic_Eagle:
A complete shot in the dark. It had absolutely nothing to do with the "I don't know if Emptyeye is still reeling from the previous one" part  Lips Sealed

I thought it might considering I said he was gonna crap himself during the grind in the previous run.
Talk to the Hand
Glad to hear there are no hard feelings. Wink

Also, a quick check of Archive reveals that my run on the game was from July 2005. I'm fairly sure that was actually still The Radix Era, before Mike was even involved in an official capacity on the site, let alone the guy in charge of verification.
You got a deletion wish?
Quote from Emptyeye:
, a quick check of Archive reveals that my run on the game was from July 2005. I'm fairly sure that was actually still The Radix Era, before Mike was even involved in an official capacity on the site, let alone the guy in charge of verification.

Mike became a mod around Fall? 2006 IIRC.  Verification and submission at the time was through R.
Just stopping by to say awesome run and whooaaaa radix update!
Edit history:
Arctic_Eagle: 2009-07-11 07:30:50 am
Thanks Kareshi! Nice words to hear from a great gamer.

I would at the same time like to apologize for my comments (abuse) to the Mysterious Third Verifier, who was in his full right to reject the Rygar PAL-run, and it was probably the correct decision to make, and his comments weren't retarded at all. I would still love to see him bounce on Ligar's head and defeat him though (maximum Tone is allowed)  Wink
Edit history:
ktwo: 2009-07-10 04:22:03 pm
I liked the run too. However, I thought I should bring to your attention a piece of information that would easily have saved you a couple of seconds. While the screen is flashing from the Attack & Assail, you're invincible. Instead of trying to dodge Ligar's shots, which everyone by now should know is an elaborate task, just fire away the 10 A&A at a steady pace. If you know that, then you also know that you're sure to beat him when you reach his den. Might be good psychologically to know that the last fight can be done without worries (more than one can say for the pal-version).

I agree with Arctic about jumping on Ligar's head, there is no way that will give you anything but trouble. (otherwise I would also be very interested to see how to use that in a constructive way)

Arctic, I hope you're still trying to nail the pal-version so you can claim my bounty.  Smiley
Edit history:
Arctic_Eagle: 2009-07-11 07:32:32 am
Thanks ktwo! I didn't know about the invincibility from Attack & Assail. To be honest with you, I already have an improved Rygar PAL-run ready (done 10.07.09), but won't tell you the timing yet. Too bad it was done before knowing about invincibility (when the screen flashes) of Attack & Assail on Ligar's projectiles.

I'm going for a double bounty, keeping the record for over 30 days, then a new record from somebody else, then I improve it again and stay unchallenged for 30 days again Wink 
That's pretty fast ! I'm looking forward to it. I also don't mind if you get some competition, but you might just have killed it by pulling off a run that quickly (provided it gets accepted of course).
Just for the record, you do realize that your "double bounty"-method doesn't work, don't you ? I will only pay the bounty once for each game. You're more than welcome to go for any of the other bounties though.
Quote from ktwo:
That's pretty fast ! I'm looking forward to it. I also don't mind if you get some competition, but you might just have killed it by pulling off a run that quickly (provided it gets accepted of course).
Just for the record, you do realize that your "double bounty"-method doesn't work, don't you ? I will only pay the bounty once for each game. You're more than welcome to go for any of the other bounties though.

Thanks, I can reveal that the PAL-run is more than 30 seconds faster than my rejected run. No double bounty? I thought so Wink
Cigar Man
Could a faster time be achieved by using death warps?
Quote from vgmrsepitome:
Could a faster time be achieved by using death warps?

Yeah, probably slightly faster. However, you lose all your mind-points when you die. And there's no bounty from ktwo for a run with deaths, or glitches. God bless him.