List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Rygar.html

Kristian 'Arctic_Eagle' Emanuelsen's run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Time of 26:01 is confirmed.  I cracked up during the leveling phase of Dorago's.  Emptyeye is going to be unloading big time when he sees that.  It should be noted that the TASes are of the PAL version but may not be of any help as they both entail a lot of glitches that we and/or TG don't/wouldn't allow.

Bottom line: Accept

Didn't he say he did a PAL Rygar run as well?  Is he not submitting that also or is that being delayed?  I don't see a reason why he wouldn't (separate category due to a couple gameplay differences and region speed).

Quote:
Well, I verified this in what I believe to be a timely fashion. Let's see here.

I am frezy_man. Shit, wait, no I'm not! I'm fucking this up already.

Okay, I more or less agree with the comments from the runner. The improvement to the previous run came thanks to his ingenious leveling technique. Despite the sometimes sloppy execution where he doesn't always get the maximum amount of enemies per set of weapon swings, he levels pretty quickly, and to a stronger point than the previous run. This earlier leveling allows him to take the optimal route through the overworld (Tower of Garba before Lapis), which the previous run couldn't do thanks to being too weak and not actually power-levelling until the Tower of Garba.

I do agree that the leveling up itself could be executed better, and also wonder if stopping the leveling process slightly earlier (Right after acquiring the 10th lifepoint for instance, if not somewhere between the 9th and 10th like the previous run) might not make for a quicker overall run, as you hit diminishing returns after awhile. I also note that his way to/inside Sagila's cave wasn't really any better than the previous run. Finally, there were a couple points where he visited the menu for basically no reason. I imagine this was to check on his stats, but in that case, especially the first time he does it, he may as well have used Power Up there.

Still, these are minor things, and an improvement of 4 minutes (Knocking over 10% off the length of the current run) more than offsets these things.

Accepted.

(Incidentally, I HAVE watched the TASes of the game. There's not a lot there that a console player could use, I don't think, besides his overworld route which he discovered on his own.)

Quote:
AV quality is good. No signs of cheating. No deaths.

Right from the start this run has fewer mistakes than the old run. Throughout most of the beginning of the run he kills fewer enemies, and in general has more finesse in his movements.

The spider boss is probably second sloppiest part of the new run, and that's saying something, since it goes off almost perfectly as is.

The new run loses some time building up his character, with a rather novel (at least to me) strategy. It is unfortunate that this is done in the area with the worst music in the game, but I doubt that is much of a choice. This is quickly made up shortly after by the next boss dying much faster, not only from stronger attacks but also from a better planned and executed strategy. This buildup allows him to kill enemies in the rest of the game in far fewer attacks, saving a ton of time overall.

I'm not sure how much difference the new route makes, so it's hard to say, but the 'two eye' boss takes less than a third of the time of the old run, and doesn't have to take the time to build up fighting the 'fire snail' over and over in the tower. The new run nearly makes it to the final boss before the old run is even done killing the fifth boss. Also, the new run doesn't waste time picking up a 'full life' potion that the old run picks up and doesn't even end up using.

Mistakes that I could see still getting improved upon are perfecting the spider boss fight, tweaking the buildup strategy a hair so that it's done faster, and not somehow getting caught in the level geometry twice, which is hard enough to do on purpose, let alone on accident!

Verdict: New run has better play, better strategy, possibly a better route. And is four and a half minutes faster. This is an easy accept for me.

Quote:
Verifier: ok i watched rygar, sorry i forgot about it earlier
Verifier: just incredibly solid
Verifier: improved executing and route
Verifier: although i think maybe he might have leveled up a bit much, but seems ok
Verifier: mistakes were really few, one was on the spider boss, that was the biggest one

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's an improvement.
Thread title:  
Talk to the Hand
A few things as the owner of the soon-to-be-obsoleted run:

First, I motion that all subsequent verifier comments have some variant of "I am frezy_man" in them. I actually wonder how many more comments coming down the pipe say something like that.

Quote:
Emptyeye is going to be unloading big time when he sees that.

On the contrary, I had to go "Oh you sneaky devil" myself upon seeing that. I had no idea that was even possible. I do think he over-leveled a bit, though. As I told Mike, I may take another stab at this one, but there's won't be (I don't think) any major revelations this time around; if I pull it off, it'll just be executing this better than Kristian did.

I'm actually curious as to where the PAL run is myself. As for the TASes, I don't think it's a matter of "SDA won't allow the glitches" (I won't speak for TG, as I'm not sure the runs are even being submitted there), as "Most of the glitches are not feasible for the console player". Either way, though, there's not a lot to be gained there that isn't in this new run (Note that the full-game TAS does use the Tower-before-Lapis route, though, which I was fairly sure was faster anyway but couldn't do because of how I played the run).
You got a deletion wish?
Quote from Emptyeye:
I motion that all subsequent verifier comments have some variant of "I am frezy_man" in them. I actually wonder how many more comments coming down the pipe say something like that.

Just from this run or any future run?

Quote:
Emptyeye is going to be unloading big time when he sees that.

That was me.
Talk to the Hand
Quote from MatrixTN:
Quote from Emptyeye:
I motion that all subsequent verifier comments have some variant of "I am frezy_man" in them. I actually wonder how many more comments coming down the pipe say something like that.

Just from this run or any future run?

All runs in the future should have something like this. Maybe at the next MAGFest, this will be SDA's "I am Spartacus". Like someone asks which of us is Frezy_Man and we all, one by one, stand up and say "I am Frezy_Man".

Incidentally, I would not have guessed that "Me blowing up" comment was you. Not that it really matters.