Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Marcus 'PreddY' Göhlert's run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Freudia's fine.

He had some tough luck on Grolla's miniboss. The fight with Grolla was a little rough, too.

Liebea's fine.

Luste is perfect.

Zorne's stage is flawless. But on the boss fight, he hesitates before firing Lust Atem. Considering how much ammo you have for that, he should be spamming it to make sure Zorne gets hit when she becomes vulnerable again.

The second time he used Zwei in Schwer-Muta's stage looked slow. The boss fight doesn't look optimal either. Wouldn't using two bombs at once then one to finish her be faster than the other way around?

Sichte is fine.

Leviathan is alright.

Sepperin 1:
He was hesitant when first using Eins. When using Zwei to cross the room with 6 ladders, he didn't jump off early enough. The fight with Cross Wall is perfect.

Sepperin 2 is perfect.

Sepperin 3:
The hopper enemy toward the beginning looks like it can be avoided if he didn't botch up the slide after climbing the ladder. At about 4:24 on the game's clock, he wimps out and uses the pause menu to select Liebes Sturm. He had enough time to switch to it with the shoulder buttons before that point. The fight with Death is perfect.

Sepperin 4:
At about 6:40 he forgets what weapon to pick, so he goes into the menu again. He slowed down to do it, and it looks ugly. The boss fight went a lot better than last time.

Iris 1:
The stage is great; a lot better than before. The boss fight is more or less the same. I'd like to see more double hits.

Iris 2:
Couldn't he have kept moving forward when he used Die Geplant Zukunft? At 3:18 he moves to the right a little bit so he starts to switch the gravity again. An ugly mistake. I'm pretty sure the jump before Mold Devil can be made without having to use Zwei. But I can understand this here. He's trying to be safe.

Iris 3:
When fighting Luste, firing diagonally should be something to look into.
Shouldn't he be using two Zornes Bombes at a time on Schwer-Muta?
He has the same hesitation on Zorne as before. He should be shooting Lust Atem as much as possible here.
And overall, he should try to avoid getting the health pickups after the bosses. The only boss where he didn't lose time from that is Trauare. He does have a Cross Can, keep in mind.
He didn't miss on the Iris Machine. The fights were good.

Last Stage:
He missed the very first jump. Blech.
Lilli missed once, and it looked like it was the player's fault, because he was moving away from Iris at that point.

There are a handful of mistakes here. But I don't think that it's enough to reject the run. There are a lot of good things to see, and this is a noticable improvement over the previous run, and that's even factoring out the skipped cutscene between castles.

I accept, with hopes of seeing an even better run sometime down the line.

Quote:
After I saw how one of the verifiers (the critical "crit") wrote an entire novel about this, I will try to keep up now Smiley

As it is one video file and is missing comments, I suppose that there are 10 segments now, because after Sepperin the video turns black and as this was approved by you it seems intentional.

First of all the previous run was already good. It had its mistakes. But this one is truly awesome now. I dont know for sure, but I think the time was improved by over 2 minutes (looking at the video length). The skipped cutscene saved another time. I noticed that the player did not submit the fortress replay out of the thread, so I was kinda surprised to see the improvements. The already perfect first 4 levels are now beyond me in playstyle, it is amazingly fast, really.

The video quality is "ok". Sound aswell. No deaths. The videos are in the correct order this time. The Segments are legit.

Segment 1:

It is really good and superfast. After I reviewed the comments of the critical verifier from last time I can say the player did everything the crit suggested. He shot the enemy in the beginning, he jumped over the gap and slided more. He also killed that Dragon after the long falling-part faster and better-looking. The girl fight was also improved by far, he takes just 1 hit and it looks even better now.
The only improvement I see left is a faster super-slide before the boss door. But, within the thread, the player mentioned he is limited in terms of gaming hardware, and it would not save that much time if done perfectly I think.

-> flawless

Segment 2:

Judging from the game clock visible in the video and the thread the level is like 7 seconds faster now which is pretty awesome. I noticed that the maneuvering and the movement during the level is way better now and seems better planned, aswell, as you can see at 3:04 to 3:05 (eliminates that Zombie from getting to him) and at 3:21 he is now able to get past the Zombie without getting hit. The girl fight looks good, too, although she seems to be monster again this time around Smiley I really love how be barely survives the last big slice attack with a single uncharged shot. No missed shots. Only improvement would be on the miniboss fight, which could be killed a little faster. That aside, the rest of the level went absolutely well.

-> really almost flawless

Segment 3:

The crit said he did not take the compactors the right way last time. Now he managed to do it right! And I must say, it looks really better now. The maneuvering at 5:50 is also a bit better and faster. This level looks really perfect and entertaining.

-> flawless

Segment 4:

Here he did everything the crit suggested once again. He used Eins on the first ladder and he used a dashjump before that first disappearing block. And he speed-jumped off this moving platform near the end. The girl was killed a little faster now because the player takes just 1 hit, which seems unavoidable, so he is able to fire the weapon faster and with a higher frequency. And the use of Eins before the boss door looks better now, too. I honestly do not see any room for improvement, maybe just with more sliding (which would seem...robotic).

-> flawless

Segment 5 to 8:

Ok, here the player decided not to improve his times. I can understand this completely, because the way the levels are played is already super-optimized. The crit told us about some improvement possibilities, but they seem minor to me, especially the ones in Segment 5 and 6. They look so smooth and are played really well. It is not worth the replaying I think. I also do not think that the improvements mentioned by the crit would lead to 2,7 seconds of improvement, I think less than that. Segment 6 was played really good, too. Considering SDA standards, those segments are absolutely acceptable.

-> almost flawless

Segment 9 (Sepperin):

MUCH better than the last one. Its incredible how well those difficult stages were played now. The player finishes the second boss without getting hit by the final glass circle which is really hard to pull off, I tested this myself after seeing this for the first time. Very well done. The mistake in level 1 is absolutely no reason to quit the playing at that moment. The use of Zwei in level 3 is awesome to the max. I tested this myself, too, and I got Zwei in the right position in one of 20 tries after (!) practicing. Must have been pretty hard for the player to abandon a good play just when there are some pixels missing in Zweis position as there were 2 complete stages played before, and you just have one try for the whole move or the flying cross will hit you. So, considering this move, the mistake in level 4 is quite ok, I can imagine how the player got nervous at that time, but not that much time was wasted, maybe 3 seconds or a little more. Sepperin boss himself did not teleport away at all which was one of the major remarks the crit had the last time. After the final hit on the demon he must have used the pause menu to manually save the replay. The boss dies there, as his HP bar disappears when he is defeated. The player did not die also, he just gets hit which looks funny. Sad Spiritia?

-> almost flawless, massive improvement, with little mistakes

Segment 10 (Iris):

MUCH MUCH better than the last one. Breath-taking at most. With the segmentation of the fortresses the player seems to be able to use much better strategies and moves, just the first level is freaking awesome. He jumps over the first gap out of a slide instead of waiting for the right block to appear and he is now able to use Zwei in the next passage where he made one big mistake in the last submission. His weapon energy is refilled completely by the way. He also completes the screens with the moving platforms much faster now and he does not make that big mistake near the end in the room with the mass disappearing blocks. The spider fight is good. I know by now that the boss can be killed faster but that is really random considering the weapon behavior of Freudenstachel and the movement of the spider, I tested this myself and even 2 double-hits within a fight is very rare and hard.
The movement in level 2 is much smoother than before. Right in the beginning he slides under those plant before the spike pit and jumps away and he now can pass that leafthrower without getting hit. Afterwards, he uses the timestopper to cross the next passage incredibly quick. Looks very impressive. The bats did not seem to be shielded after that, so I tested this myself and they can be hit while affected by the timestopper. Nice. The move on the next leafthrower is incredible, he uses the gravity changers to hit this enemy while it is falling and I could see that it loses its shield while falling. The rest of the level is fast and standard, the jump just before the boss door was much faster now, too. And with Zwei.
Level 3 is pretty standard. He had a tough time with Sichte there, nearly died, which actually speeds up that fight. He was at full health before refighting Liebea so he could teleport out right away after she is defeated which is pretty nice. Iris Machine falls now even faster to Luste Atem and the bomb slide kick is totally impressive and looks cool, too. He did this on Schwermuta, too, which hits her faster. He did not even use a Crosstank on Iris Machine which is really impressive (and saves time).
Level 4 is just the usual. He jumps off the dragon this time and lands just before the boss door which is a nice move Smiley

-> almost flawless, massive improvement x2!

After viewing the video so often I can only say accept this, it rocks.

Quote:
Verifier: no doubt the play quality is up to notch this time, but the segmentation method in the Sepperin Castle bothers me.
Verifier: the runner saves replay & quits through the pause menu, but does so before the cutscene has been completed. In fact, the runner cuts it immediately after the boss is dead.
Verifier: While I can see the reasoning behind that, it poses some problems...
Verifier: 1) the time it takes to complete the cut scene is cut out. This makes it impossible to compare SS and segmented.
Verifier: 2) If it's not a problem, then why aren't the rest of the segments done in the exact same way?
Verifier: I would have preferred that the runner had saved & quit briefly after the teleporting out, since it makes the run comparable with the rest. It'd be also a lot clearer that way.
Verifier: the game has a password based saving system.
Verifier: pre-made passwords, mind you.
Verifier: the password is changed between castles, so saving & quitting during teleport out should be a pretty valid option, but I'm not sure about this.
Verifier: since the cutscene takes a fixed amount of time, (and you can't really do anything to mess with it during the cutscene) you can't really cheat or anything because of it...
Verifier: hmm... so, I think I'll give it a rejection for not showing the cutscene (I don't like it but I don't think I can accept it, either), unless the other verifier(s?) disargee with me, in which case I'd like to hear their arguments and think it over. I would also like to hear what the runner has to say about it, assuming they have something to say about it.
Verifier: There are no other problems with the run.

This was another verifier's response to the cutscene skip.

Quote:
the part in question did cause me to raise an eyebrow at first. i had no idea how he was able to quit after the first castle, and start a new replay at the second castle. i later learned that v1.05 has a secret password that lets you start at the second castle.

so if i'm reading this right, the other verifier is rejecting the run because the runner ended the first castle replay too early.

i disagree with that. i think skipping that cutscene is of no consequence here. i'd encourage it, actually. i don't see a reason to time a cutscene that can be skipped legitimately. it's like timing the credits when you don't have to.

in fact, i'd recommend that timing of all segments work in that fashion. instead of ending at the password screen, end timing at the final hit on the boss. it's a little more accurate to the player's input, in exchange for a little more effort.

Decision: Accept

Reason: The run is good, and I'll figure out how to time it somehow (probably using the "until the boss dies" method).
Thread title:  
Dragon Power Supreme
Congrats PreddY! Can't wait to see it!
Edit history:
PreddY: 2009-03-19 11:18:00 am
Hope rides alone.
Well, finally!  Grin

The run was fused by Nate into a single file and will have audio commentary done by me, so stay excited Wink
So is "timing stops after boss is killed" the official SDA stance which will be used with the future segmented runs, too? It's rather important to know. It completely fucks up the comparison between segmented and SS runs, but whatever I've seen worse.

Congratulations on your new run, PreddY.
Hope rides alone.
Quote from 65:
So is "timing stops after boss is killed" the official SDA stance which will be used with the future segmented runs, too? It's rather important to know. It completely fucks up the comparison between segmented and SS runs, but whatever I've seen worse.

Congratulations on your new run, PreddY.

Thanks, Cremator! I hope all my thanks to you in the comments and the audio are enough to actually thank you for your helps. Wink

Single-segment has other timing issues like not needing to select "End & Save Replay" and "Yes" at the password screen, instead you can hammer Ok to get to the stage select right away, saving more than a second or so I think. Otherwise, you can calculate the times using VirtualDub and the encoded replays to determine exact times on all replays, e.g. boss kills and cutscenes. For segmented, Mike and I came along with the actual replay time to matter.
Small hint: In the game list link for Rosenkreuzstilette is missing the "0" in the brackets of the run time.
sda loyalist
God, the music and presentation for this game sucks. Also, the levels are all taken from various other games.

Wow, this sure is an impressive doujin work wink wink
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Quote from lag:
God, the music and presentation for this game sucks. Also, the levels are all taken from various other games.

Wow, this sure is an impressive doujin work wink wink

Another supportive and productive post from our very own Lag.Com. Roll Eyes

Trying the game might make you realize the game is quite fun, especially if you like Mega Man games. Tongue
sda loyalist
I don't really like the Mega Man level design and my experience in playing the games (I used to own Wily Wars) is 'meh'. I can't imagine anybody paying a cent for this game, not because no effort was put into it, but because so much effort was put into emulating (to the point of severe pedantry) games people who would be into it have probably already played.

Of course some people go crazy over the whole WATASHI WA... SHI NU! crap so my words will as always fall on deaf ears
100% runs=great to watch
Good stuff.  I hope to see more in the series make it over, the "Zero" character mentioned in the comments one day---pretty much just like all the other Megaman games.  8)
Edit history:
VorpalEdge: 2009-04-09 11:23:17 am
welcome to the machine
Quote from getter77:
Good stuff.  I hope to see more in the series make it over, the "Zero" character mentioned in the comments one day---pretty much just like all the other Megaman games.  8)

This game didn't make it over.  It was either pirated (most likely) or imported.  Besides, if it did make it over the producers would land in court, unlike in Japan where they don't care.
100% runs=great to watch
Quote from VorpalEdge:
Quote from getter77:

This game didn't make it over.  It was either pirated (most likely) or imported.  Besides, if it did make it over the producer's would land in court, unlike in Japan where they don't care.

I meant on SDA!  8)
Visually Appealing
Quote from VorpalEdge:
Besides, if it did make it over the producer's would land in court, unlike in Japan where they don't care.

care to explain how this would be the case?
it would be interesting to see whether trademark law in japan specifies that owners must defend trademarks like it does in the us. if not then that would explain a few things.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2009-04-09 01:39:52 pm
Not a walrus
There aren't really any trademarks or copyrights being infringed on here, is the thing. If making a 'play-alike' or a knock off--gameplay aside, the strongest thing you could argue here is the graphics and map similarities--were considered infringement then you wouldn't see store brand foods that used boxes that just happen to look like brand name. There's a chain near where I live that sells Dr Twister. No points if you guess what it tastes like or what color the can is.

Never mind that Capcom already had to deal with this shit with Fighter's History and they failed. I doubt they'd try it again.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
I have never played this game but was so intrigued by its crazy name that I had to check it out. Low and behold, it kicks ass, very nice run PreddY.
Edit history:
Enhasa: 2009-04-11 12:35:15 pm
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
UA is right, and this is a total non-issue. If Capcom couldn't win against Data East, why would they go after some random fans?

Besides, in Japan copyright laws are actually stronger AFAIK since there isn't the sort of moral indignation against them that there is here. One reason why you don't see as many actual vids of Japanese speedruns is because some people are afraid of the legality.

Edit: Just wanted to add, the reason why it may look like to some westerners that Japanese don't care about copyright, is the rampant illegality of gamemp3s and doujinstyle and other sites, whereas similar sites for western material mostly don't exist. This is because these sites are in English and there's a language barrier. Only the anime industry is currently big enough that Japanese would begin to care at all what foreigners are doing.
...As if Japanese developers are afraid of seeing how little gameplay they have in comparison to cutscenes? <_<
Fucking Weeaboo
I just noticed a little easter egg (that I'm sure everybody else knew about).

Hold fire button when entering a level.  All the stars turn to crosses.

Heh.
that Metroidvania guy
Yea, knew bout that one, dood. Throwback to MM2 of course. Tongue

It'll be nice to have a Grolla run of this, that'll be impressive. And this was done segmented right? Since it'll save a SS replay I guess that's still a good possibility too.

Well either way, congrats on the run preddy. Seems pretty good from what I'm watching.

(p.s. on an unrelated note, I still think MegaMari is a better game than this. Grin )
Fucking Weeaboo
Also, it's possible to improve Frodia's stage a bit - it's actually possible to reach the boss door before even the FIRST quickman beam hits (unless it was changed after 1.00a).  I need to get an updated version.

Ignore my boss fight, I'm aware it sucks.
Attachment:
Hope rides alone.
Quote from Lord_VG:
Also, it's possible to improve Frodia's stage a bit - it's actually possible to reach the boss door before even the FIRST quickman beam hits (unless it was changed after 1.00a).  I need to get an updated version.

I know this, but if you listened to my audio you wouldve heard that I didnt got it to work that fast, although its possible but pretty random for me, even when mashing...
Fucking Weeaboo
Yeah, so I've noticed from my one day of playing.  But I'm within 4 seconds of you on that level, so I'm not doing TOO bad.
100% runs=great to watch
Just as an aside, but I thought interesting given the potential for future games.

http://www.animenation.net/blog/2009/04/13/rockin-android-to-distribute-doujin-games/
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
Someone linked that on shmups.com which lead to an unintentionally funny thread.

IMHO best game these people are looking at is by far Suguri, although it's not a personal favorite or anything.