List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Any% segmented run with Sara

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Audio/video is fine on all segments. The time of the run appears to be a high 1:28:xx (using in-game timer until the final segment, then doing manual timing starting from the next minute).

Almost all regular enemy battles are avoided in the game, and the runner often pause buffers when doing this. I believe the in-game timer freezes when you pause the game, so as ugly as the pause buffers may look to some viewers, they don't hurt the runner at all. Also, doing this is faster than going into any battles anyway, and everything that needs to be manipulated can be done in the few battles the runner chooses to fight. For this run, there are essentially 3 big elements of luck that make it particularly more annoying to run than many other games: having bosses cooperate (duh), learning the right techniques mid-battle, and having the right stat gains after the battles finish. There is also some luck involved with avoiding some of the battles, but again, this is made easier from the pause buffering... but it's still amazing sometimes when he manages to avoid enemies that are completely surrounding him.

A lot of the run is focused around building agility and strength. The later segments have 2 characters building up the agility of the party so much that the enemies/bosses can hardly get in an attack before being destroyed. This in combination with a weapon tech that maximizes strength allows the runner to completely blow through everything. There are not any huge skip glitches used in this run, but as experienced SaGa series players (of which there are ridiculously few) know, most of the game's length comes from secondary quests and once you realize what the main quests are it becomes pretty short. However, I still had no idea the game could be done anywhere near this fast, even considering the creative battle plan.

That was all mostly pointless rambling. I accept this run, and am happy that SDA could have a run from that other Square RPG series on the SNES that no one talks about.

Quote:
I didn't think it was possible to fight the final boss with such low HP.  The amount of RNG manipulation is a thing of beauty.  When I've played this game it typically takes forever to learn the skills I need but in this run through clever manipulation all the most powerful skills are learned very quickly.  The runner also manages to avoid getting slapped around by the Devil Lords and Destroyer.  Segment 24 is amazing, being very long and having most of the major boss fights in one segment.

This run is extremely well done, and I ACCEPT it.

The other verifier is missing Shocked

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a well optimized run

Congratulations to 'bay!'
Thread title:  
I have what may be a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.  Are the individual characters going to be considered separate catagories?  I ask due to the description of the run as a "any% segmented run as Sara."All characters ultimately have the same goal; all characters beat the Destroyer.  On ultimagarden, a single character is tracked for both TA and RTA catagories.

If the different characters are not going to be tracked as separate catagories, then I have another question for the runner:  Why didn't you use Katrina?  Katrina's intro is the shortest.  Knbnitkr's TAS without major skips/bugginess uses Katrina.  Ducky's old TA used Katrina.  The fastest RTAs use Katrina.

I'm not trying to be rude;  the time is respectable.  It's just that Sara seems like a big departure from the Romancing Saga 3 speed run norm.
Waiting hurts my soul...
If characters differ in skill and abilities, then they're usually different categories. Story can be deciding factor as well.
Silver Hawk!
The primary reason to play as Sara is to use the special Commander mode during the fight with Destroyer.  This allows the player to use both combo attacks and still control the characters who aren't in the combo. 

Selecting the different jobs at the beginning makes the characters blend a little bit, but they all have different starting stats.  In an any% after the intro the characters are all pretty much the same.  Most of the characters have a secondary quest, like Thomas with the Business game and Mikhail with the Ruling game, but I don't think we'll ever see a speedrun with these mini games.
Is there going to be an audio commentary with this for those of us that never played it?
Sorry for disappearing for like....2 months ><
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Just like the Chrono Trigger run, bay wanted to pull this submission because he's burned out of speedrunning. Sad

This run will be available for download for about a month. PM me or Flip for a link.
Waiting hurts my soul...
I don't get it... burned out of speedrunning, so he doesn't want his runs going up even though there's nothing more for him to do?
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Yeah, I don't get it myself. Bay wasn't very specific except speedrunning was exhausting him.
Waiting hurts my soul...
sucks Sad