1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: How does this not exist yet?

Christopher 'SHADOW JACKY' Chism's easy mode run (hard in PAL/Japanese version)

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Verifier: I'm watching it again now and I'm gonna post my comments as I watch
Verifier: stage 1 is about as good as you can ask for, lots of possumhopping Cheesy
Verifier: I had to remind myself it was on easy a few times though
Verifier: like the boss dying so early caught me by surprise
Verifier: that's a really good train fight
Verifier: especially the hands
Verifier: I'm gonna steal that strat
Verifier: oh and that strategy on the crab is quite hard
Verifier: but really fast, very impressive
Verifier: speaking of hard strats, holy cow the pig head
Verifier: also I should point this out now but he's deliberately ending levels on low health so the bonus doesn't take as long to count up
Verifier: so in that respect he lost like a second at the end of stage 3
Verifier: big deal
me: yeah I know that about the health
Verifier: I don't even know who I'm pointing that out for lol
Verifier: I am so glad that SJ finally learned how to fight the stage 5 boss
Verifier: ahahahaha awesome axel gear first phase strat
Verifier: he'll kill me for this but he was a bit of a pussy on the last boss Tongue
Verifier: second and third phases should go quicker than that
Verifier: and easiest end ever
Verifier: basically the biggest mistake I spotted was at the start of stage 6 when he let the pig heads get away
Verifier: which cost maybe three seconds
Verifier: there's just a couple of things I want to go back and check before I give a ridiculously obvious accept
Verifier: yeah, just wanted to check the spikes in the minecart section
Verifier: I always thought they were one hit kill
Verifier: but it's the knockback that kills you, not the spikes themselves
Verifier: so, easy accept

Quote:
Not really much to say except this run really kicked ass. Aside from some trouble spots in the beginning stage 2, and the laser area in stage 4 , the run looked really tight. I'm not even sure what you could do to get through the laser area smoothly anyway, so yeah.

Also, the comments were great.

In conclusion, I...like this run??????

Quote:
No perceptible cheating. A/V is fine.

This game is very unforgiving. Challenging in a good way. The runner doesn't give a darn and goes all out with zany TAS strats. I watched this side-by-side with the TAS and he barely loses any time on what little mistakes there were (that were largely luck-based, I might add).

This run is a good example of a game being played quickly, skillfully, and legitimately. Accept.

Quote:
A/V quality is ok, and no sign of cheating.

I watched the run twice.  In the time between the first and second viewings the run managed to merge with the testrun in my memory, so I was more surprised by some of the things that happened the second time around than the first.  Irrelevant, but I wanted to mention it.

Anyways, as someone involved with playing the game and helping with strategies for the run: this run is pretty good. What's not apparent in the video is how many iterations and discussions certain strategies went through.  I could name several spots in every stage where there were recent changes.  I'll spare you, but this run isn't a typical inaugural run.  It's pretty highly optimized in terms of strategy, and the vast majority are executed extremely smoothly and quickly.

I'd estimate that a 'perfect' human run would be 20-30 seconds faster.  SJ details the major mistakes in his comments, so I won't go too in-depth here either.  There's about 10-15 seconds lost from three major errors (1-3 castle intro, 4-3 lasers, axel phase 3), and maybe an equivalent amount through the rest of the game combined?  These numbers aren't very precise but you get the idea.  This is barring potential strategy improvements, of course; another minute could be shaved if the 4-2 skip turns out to be physically possible, but fuck that thing.

Long story short, pretty optimized run of a demanding game.  Definite accept.  Living up to this run at the marathon is going to be pretty hard!

Decision: Accept

Reason: FUCK YOU MIKE89!!!!
Thread title:  
The Speedrunning Teacher
Dang!  I can't wait to see this! Possum power!
fucking .gif....
I'm just glad it's behind me now and I can go on to other things.  Thank you all who verified and enjoy the commentary when the run gets published.
Just beat the game myself yesterday. Now I'll get to see how badly I suck at it Tongue
Edit history:
Arcanod: 2010-12-14 11:20:02 am
Very impressive run !

I didn't know that it was possible to beat the stage 4 boss in one row without being in "contact" with him.
As for the first part of the fight with Axel Gear, it is unexpected and really nice to watch.