Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet, though it should.

Chip 'Breakdown' Vogel's normal difficulty run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Verifier: oh yeah ristar
Verifier: run of the year so far, very impressive and generally good luck
Verifier: best parts overall have to be the swings
me: I thought the swimming was the best part, but that's just me
Verifier: the thing i most cringed at, even though it's tough, was he missed the 4-1 glitch which is really cool
Verifier: yeah swimming was really good
Verifier: also he spent like maybe 12 secs doing the skip in 6-1
Verifier: but it's hard so yeah
Verifier: also the final boss can go better
me: yeah this is all really transparently obvious stuff I'm sure breakdown is more painfully aware of than we are
Verifier: yeah exactly, this run was just really good, i don't know what else to say
Verifier: run faxanadu
Verifier: hi breakdown

Quote:
Audio/Video:
The audio quality is fine, no real screwups that I noticed. The video, however, shows something extra on the far-left, it looks like what's in sort of the middle of the screen (you can see the TM from the Sega logo at the very beginning sort of). There's the extra stuff, then an ugly black line, then the rest of the video. It's pretty noticeable. I'm not sure if this is just something to do with the low-quality of the verification copies or not but it's worth pointing out just in case. Here's a snap. I'm guesing that's one of those things that's going to be corrected in the actual encode though, so if that's the case then there's no real problems other than that.The screen kind of turns blue for a second when the "waves" come down on the 2-1 boss, but I'm guessing that's probably because it's the PS2 collection instead of the Genesis.

Cheating:
There is none. Completely legit.

Gameplay:
Overall it was very fluid and very quick. There's obviously been a lot of practice put into this and it really shows. The only thing overall I want to note is that it's possible to start the "shooting star" (going really fast off of a pole and flying around) after 6-7 spins. Most of the time the runner uses more, generally 8-11. However I'm sure he's aware of it and he was probably just lining himself up for each of them, so I'm not going to nag about it.

1-1: Practically flawless. Got unlucky a bit with the rabbit he took a hit from but it's random where that one spawns. No problems.

1-2: Only noteable thing here is the tree-skip. Handled decently, bounces up and down once but that kind of thing is hard to avoid. Everything else went smoothly.

1-3: Boss was handled pefectly.

2-1: Very impressive display of swimming. Everything was good.

2-2: Got hit by both the 2nd and 3rd nautiluses but it doesn't take much time at all. Getting the left chest to be the correct one after the 2nd nautilus is completely 50/50.

2-3: Basically as quick as can be. The boss came to the foreground for all but one attack, which in my experience is as good as it gets.

3-1: It's possible to avoid the damage from the rising fire, but is very hard to time. He almost did, it even made the jump sound, but was just a split second too late. Got a pretty sucky first pattern for the memory game boss, but the 2nd and 3rd ones weren't bad. Still a good level.

3-2: Bounced around a bit on the first shooting star, but absolutely nailed the second. Rest was great.

3-3: Almost as optimal as possible, but the boss decided to do his aerial attack on the last one. Handled everything perfectly though, so no complaints.

4-1: Dealing with those metronomes is a lot more cumbersome than he makes it look. Nailed the metronome trick on the second try, which is more than acceptable due to its difficulty and amount of time saved. Again it's a lot harder than it looks. Amazing level.

4-2: Got unlucky with the two sets of guitars and had to wait for a second, but no real mistakes.

4-3: The boss decided to be a major pain and go all the way up into the air twice, the second time hovering for a few seconds before dropping within reach. He did the best he could with what the game gave him.

5-1: Another great level. Grabbing the enemy at the end without grabbing the bomb is seemingly random with the odds favoring grabbing the bomb, so you really can't complain about that.

5-2: Impressive and obviously practiced. Messed up the first jump in the upward sliding platforms but it's no biggie. Great work.

5-3: Boss went as well as it could.

6-1: The moving bars were handled perfectly at the beginning. The "swimming shoes" pole shortcut took some trying, but the area to succesfully hit it is really small and it still probably ended up faster than going the way you're supposed to. Boss went perfectly.

6-2: Got unlucky in the wall-tearing bit with the crystal being in the final hole. Also got screwed over in the missile launcher section. It looked like he was close enough to grab the ladder but ended up missing and taking damage. Still very acceptable.

6-3: Excellent work manipulating the grabs to get directly underneath the boss to quickly damage him.

The next area went smoothly, got shafted once by the next boss's boomerang but no problems.

Final boss: After humping the wall, completely whiffed on the orbs the first time. They randomly decided to spawn out of his line-of-attack. But then recovers and gets them all pretty quickly. The first phase of the boss himself doesn't move in the same pattern every time by a longshot, so places where attacks were missed are forgiveable. Once the boss went into his predictable 2nd phase it didn't stand a chance. Was attacked every single opportunity that was available.

Overall verdict: An obvious accept. Anyone who tries to say this run is reject-worthy should be punched in the mouth and kicked in the shins. Yeah, it's slightly improveable, but whoever attempts to do so will probably drive themselves insane. Great run.

Quote:
Crap, I already said run of the year, so I'm not sure what to say here. SECOND RUN OF THE YEAR! Also, me love Breakdown long time

Quote:
Good audio quality. The video quality is quite "meh" but definitely acceptable. A minor capture/encode issue that should probably be fixed if the run gets posted though : there's a fragment of a "low-res" version of the run at the left side of the video. Other than that and the slight bluriness/pixelization, everything is fine. No cheating spotted

Timing : 00:19.970 : takes control of Ristar (when he hits the ground) - 29:04.126 : loses control of Ristar (last hit on Greedy) ... Final time : 28:44.156

The gameplay quality is astounding. This speedrun is full of difficult tricks that require insane timing and the runner managed to execute them brilliantly, making very few mistakes. Many of them could've been put aside to avoid those perfect runs that get ruined because of a failed trick that can save 5 seconds, but he included almost all of them, resulting in a skillful and entertaining run that sweats awesomeness. Accepted

Decision: Accept

Reason: The best run with a star as the main character, EVER. Also, everyone's teeth and shins are intact. Wink
Thread title:  
Haters gonna hate
Thanks everybody, glad you liked it!
@_@
No problem. Congrats and great job. Cheesy
Let the music play!
Woot I've been waiting for this to go up. Can't wait to watch :-)
contraddicted
I've been following the progress of the run a bit an have seen some WIPs also.

Please get this posted on the site fast, as I know Breakdown did an awesome job Smiley
It's-a me, Stalin!
What a great game this is, have to check this run out.